Thursday March 12, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 6.30.24 AM.png

Troy Donahue on TCM

A SUMMER PLACE with Sandra Dee

PARRISH with Claudette Colbert

SUSAN SLADE with Connie Stevens

A DISTANT TRUMPET with Suzanne Pleshette

MY BLOOD RUNS COLD with Joey Heatherton

I find I like A SUMMER PLACE a lot more than I used to.

Looking forward to PARRISH. Love Claudette.

• Like 1
On 3/12/2020 at 7:24 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I find I like A SUMMER PLACE a lot more than I used to.

Looking forward to PARRISH. Love Claudette.

PARRISH was Claudette Colbert's last feature film. Though she did have a sizable role in a TV miniseries in the 80s.

On FXM channel this morning, they are airing ON THE RIVIERA with Danny Kaye and Gene Tierney. This one has never been shown on TCM, if I'm correct?

32 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

On FXM channel this morning, they are airing ON THE RIVIERA with Danny Kaye and Gene Tierney. This one has never been shown on TCM, if I'm correct?

According to MovieCollector's database, it aired twice on TCM...back in 2012. So it's been awhile.

Fun film. Thanks for the heads up!

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Sunday March 15, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 7.33.08 AM.jpeg

Similar story on TCM

THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR with Ginger Rogers

TOO YOUNG TO KISS with June Allyson

Similar stories with opposite viewer satisfaction, I say (my opinion, of course. ;) )

Ginger is charming and amusing in her film, whereas June seems to only be charading in hers. Maybe the difference is the master directing of Billy Wilder having the ability to make the far fetched but not quite screwball comedy seem possible.

22 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Similar stories with opposite viewer satisfaction, I say (my opinion, of course. ;) )

Ginger is charming and amusing in her film, whereas June seems to only be charading in hers. Maybe the difference is the master directing of Billy Wilder having the ability to make the far fetched but not quite screwball comedy seem possible.

I guess I have the opposite reaction here. First, I do like GInger's performance and Ray Milland's performance. However, I find Wilder's treatment of the story to border on sick, almost fantasy pedophilia. 

The MGM version with June and Van is considerably more wholesome, though the basic scenario is the same. I think it helped that June and Van had already made films at the studio where they were shown in adult romances. So yes, it's obvious June is charading or the word masquerading, so we never have a sense that her character is getting off on the pervert tendencies of the male.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I guess I have the opposite reaction here. First, I do like GInger's performance and Ray Milland's performance. However, I find Wilder's treatment of the story to border on sick, almost fantasy pedophilia. 

The MGM version with June and Van is considerably more wholesome, though the basic scenario is the same. I think it helped that June and Van had already made films at the studio where they were shown in adult romances. So yes, it's obvious June is charading or the word masquerading, so we never have a sense that her character is getting off on the pervert tendencies of the male.

I think I'm probably biased because I'm a big fan of Ginger (she can do no wrong for me! 😄)

7 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I think I'm probably biased because I'm a big fan of Ginger (she can do no wrong for me! 😄)

Sometimes I think people give Billy Wilder a free pass. Not saying you are, but a lot of people do. I also find KISS ME STUPID rather perverse and highly unwatchable. Wilder sometimes goes too far, in my opinion. Plus there are offensive stereotypes about overweight people in AVANTI! (1972) all for the sake of "comedy." Wilder didn't always know how to exercise restraint or good taste/good judgment.

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Sometimes I think people give Billy Wilder a free pass. Not saying you are, but a lot of people do. I also find KISS ME STUPID rather perverse and highly unwatchable. Wilder sometimes goes too far, in my opinion. Plus there are offensive stereotypes about overweight people in AVANTI! (1972) all for the sake of "comedy." Wilder didn't always know how to exercise restraint or good taste/good judgment.

I've actually never seen either of those films. I do like Wilder's films, though. I tend to like his more cynical work or the combo drama/romance/comedies better than the straight up comedies. My mother hated his films, I remember. You couldn't pay her to watch one!  Maybe she felt the same way as you.

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I've actually never seen either of those films. I do like Wilder's films, though. I tend to like his more cynical work or the combo drama/romance/comedies better than the straight up comedies. My mother hated his films, I remember. You couldn't pay her to watch one!  Maybe she felt the same way as you.

I don't dislike all Billy Wilder films. Just the three I mentioned in my previous post.

I think he worked better as a writer. When he became a director, he wasn't reigned in enough. 

Things like MIDNIGHT (1939) where he is the writer and Mitchell Leisen is directing, that's more my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

Thursday March 19, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 6.13.12 AM.png

Wyatt Earp on TCM

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE with Henry Fonda

WICHITA with Joel McCrea

WINCHESTER '73 with Will Geer

DOC with Harris Yulin

BADMAN'S COUNTRY with Buster Crabbe

• Like 1