Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The article about Tony on TCM's website says his only Oscar nomination occurred with THE DEFIANT ONES.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1576543|0/Tony-Curtis-Mondays-in-July.html

Well one nomination is better than nothing. His SOME LIKE IT HOT co-star Marilyn Monroe was never nominated once in her brief career.

Nor was Edward G. Robinson ever rewarded for one single nomination for any of his film roles (I know I sound like a broken record on this point, but dang it, it still makes my blood boil that he never got any respect from the Academy).

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Well one nomination is better than nothing. His SOME LIKE IT HOT co-star Marilyn Monroe was never nominated once in her brief career.

Nor was Edward G. Robinson ever rewarded for one single nomination for any of his film roles (I know I sound like a broken record on this point, but dang it, it still makes my blood boil that he never got any respect from the Academy).

I thought T.C. had been nominated more than once. I was surprised to find out it was just for THE DEFIANT ONES. He was very effective across genres but seemed to resonate better with audiences in comic roles. And as we know the Academy has a bias when it comes to nominating dramas over comedies.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Oneeyeopen said:

When TCM doesn't show films I want to see I go to the Fox Movie Network, no commercials. They have not bought up all the Fox Studios films so if you are a fan of early Tyrone Power films, Betty Grable, and others, Fox Movie Network is a good choice. I also watch the Movies channel. They show commercials but have a collection close to what TCM shows. They offer a lot of film noir.

There's also Cinemoi. They show Stars of the Silver Screen, which I thoroughly enjoy. They have short commercial breaks.

The Fox Movie Channel is good - within limitations.  It is commercial free, but only between 3AM and 3PM ET.  Which is when they show older movies.  Also, they have a limited number of movies and show same ones far more frequently than TCM.  It is a good choice when it is showing something you want to see.

Tuesday July 7, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 11.06.32 AM.png

Sam Fuller films on TCM

THE STEEL HELMET with Gene Evans

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET with Richard Widmark

HOUSE OF BAMBOO with Robert Ryan

UNDERWORLD U.S.A. with Cliff Robertson

PARK ROW with Gene Evans

THE BARON OF ARIZONA with Vincent Price

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Wednesday July 8, 2020

imgres-1

Funny bunny on TCM

HARVEY with James Stewart

HARVEY is a winner. Aside from VERTIGO and MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, this is one of Stewart's best.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

HARVEY is a winner. Aside from VERTIGO and MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, this is one of Stewart's best.

Never been a fan of VERTIGO. I think MR. SMITH is very sexist and I object to its stereotypes.

But HARVEY is a crowd pleaser that does not offend. It's one of the Stewart's best performances and the supporting cast is strong. Josephine Hull is a lot of fun to watch.

Thursday July 9, 2020

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-07-01%2Bat%2B2.23.5

Tom Conway takes over from George Sanders as The Falcon on TCM

THE FALCON STRIKES BACK with Harriet Nelson

THE FALCON IN DANGER with Jean Brooks

THE FALCON AND THE CO-EDS with Rita Corday

THE FALCON OUT WEST with Carol Gallagher

THE FALCON IN MEXICO with Martha Vickers

THE FALCON IN HOLLYWOOD with Barbara Hale

THE FALCON IN SAN FRANCISCO with Sharyn Moffett

THE FALCON'S ALIBI with Jane Greer

THE FALCON'S ADVENTURE with Madge Meredith

• Like 1

Never been a fan of VERTIGO. I think MR. SMITH is very sexist and I object to its stereotypes.

But HARVEY is a crowd pleaser that does not offend. It's one of the Stewart's best performances and the supporting cast is strong. Josephine Hull is a lot of fun to watch.

I admit at one time I wasn't particularly fond of VERTIGO, but it's grown on me in time.  Likewise MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON.

MR. SMITH strikes me as being a bit too idealistic in the way Stewart's character Jefferson Smith manages to win over everybody in the end but what the hey, it was 1939.

2 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I admit at one time I wasn't particularly fond of VERTIGO, but it's grown on me in time.  Likewise MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON.

MR. SMITH strikes me as being a bit too idealistic in the way Stewart's character Jefferson Smith manages to win over everybody in the end but what the hey, it was 1939.

What bothers me most about MR. SMITH is how sidelined the Jean Arthur character is, that a woman is supposed to be relegated to cheerleading instead of taking action herself. The truth is that there had already been female senators in the U.S., and in fact one was in office when the movie was made. 

So it's not only idealism but it's idealism in a man's world which is rather lopsided. One part that annoys me is the part where we learn that Jefferson Smith is a hero to Boy Scouts. But there were Girl Scouts in America at this time (going back to 1912), which the filmmakers conveniently ignore. The whole thing is sexist and suggests that only men have a real say in government. I can't stand it.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

What bothers me most about MR. SMITH is how sidelined the Jean Arthur character is, that a woman is supposed to be relegated to cheerleading instead of taking action herself. The truth is that there had already been female senators in the U.S., and in fact one was in office when the movie was made. 

So it's not only idealism but it's idealism in a man's world which is rather lopsided. One part that annoys me is the part where we learn that Jefferson Smith is a hero to Boy Scouts. But there were Girl Scouts in America at this time (going back to 1912), which the filmmakers conveniently ignore. The whole thing is sexist and suggests that only men have a real say in government. I can't stand it.

Yeah, but in 1939, even though there were a lot of women making strides in government and other areas of social signifigance , this country still had as much as a sexist mindset as it did racist. 

Women were still considered the stay-at-home types and the men the breadwinners of the family. It was the way it was thought of back then, not just by the filmmakers of the 30's but in a lot of other fields of employment at the time. I'm not saying this was right or fair by any means BTW.

3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yeah, but in 1939, even though there were a lot of women making strides in government and other areas of social signifigance , this country still had much as a sexist mindset as it did racist. 

Women were still considered the stay-at-home types and the men the breadwinners of the family. It was the way it was thought of back then, not just by the filmmakers of the 30's but in a lot of other fields of employment at the time. I'm not saying this was right or fair by any means BTW.

I see what you are saying. But I don't really buy the "this was 1939" argument. Feminists had been making strides since Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton had rallies in the late 1800s. Plus by 1939 women had already been voting for almost 20 years. MR. SMITH is a movie made by men for men, and its lack of balance is disturbing.

Stewart gives an exhilarating performance but that still doesn't make up for the fact that the film consists of stereotypes, biases and other assorted prejudices that are not acceptable. Now or then.

Friday July 10, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 1.06.07 PM

Directed by John Ford in the 30s

THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING with Edward G. Robinson

ARROWSMITH with Ronald Colman

THE INFORMER with Victor McLaglen

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday July 10, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 1.06.07 PM

Directed by John Ford in the 30s

THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING with Edward G. Robinson

ARROWSMITH with Ronald Colman

THE INFORMER with Victor McLaglen

Awesome, looking forward to THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING. Twice of Edward G. Robinson is twice the fun.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Awesome, looking forward to THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING. Twice of Edward G. Robinson is twice the fun.

Agree. He's great in comedic roles like this.

Saturday July 11, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 7.49.40 AM.jpeg

Yul Brynner's 100th birthday on TCM

INVITATION TO A GUNFIGHTER with Janice Rule

THE JOURNEY with Deborah Kerr

THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV with Maria Schell

WESTWORLD with Richard Benjamin

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday July 11, 2020

WESTWORLD is one weird movie (but I mean that in the most positive way).

Also looking forward to THE JOURNEY and THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV.

• Like 1

Sunday July 12, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.58.49 AM.png

Classic horror on Hulu

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME with Lon Chaney

THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH with Christopher Lee

THE SKULL with Peter Cushing

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Davehat said:

I use my antenna to get the Sony Movies Channel (free over the air).  They show lots of classic films

Thanks. If there are any specific titles you want to mention, that are currently airing on Sony Movies Channel, feel free to list them!

Monday July 13, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.12.19 AM.png

Tony & Jack are playing on TCM

SOME LIKE IT HOT with Marilyn Monroe

THE GREAT RACE with Natalie Wood

Really looking forward to SOME LIKE IT HOT.

THE GREAT RACE is watchable but no SOME LIKE IT HOT. Interesting to see Tony and Jack as enemies in sharp contrast to the buddy-buddies they were in SOME LIKE IT HOT though.

• Like 1
On 7/10/2020 at 6:47 PM, TopBilled said:

Saturday July 11, 2020

Very happy TCM honored Yul Brynner. I'm also looking forward to watching The Journey. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Athos said:

Very happy TCM honored Yul Brynner. I'm also looking forward to watching The Journey. 

Does this mean you DVR'd it?