Monday July 20, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 1.26.48 PM

Tony Curtis in the 60s on TCM

SPARTACUS with Kirk Douglas

THE OUTSIDER with James Franciscus

THE BOSTON STRANGLER with Henry Fonda

TARAS BULBA with Yul Brynner

Looking forward to SPARTACUS.

THE BOSTON STRANGLER is an interesting film, though there have been serious doubts about the guy's guilt in recent years.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

THE BOSTON STRANGLER is an interesting film, though there have been serious doubts about the guy's guilt in recent years.

I wasn't aware of that. Haven't really read up on the actual case.

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I wasn't aware of that. Haven't really read up on the actual case.

To TopBilled, i wrote a pc a couple months back SPARATACUS VS GLADIATOR & each reader would vote for their fav of the 2 epics

Don't recall how it came out & did you cast your own pick?

On 7/16/2020 at 2:33 PM, TopBilled said:

Friday July 17, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 11.31.45 AM.jpeg

John Ford at Fox on TCM

HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY with Roddy McDowall

THE GRAPES OF WRATH with Henry Fonda

MAFBIFICENT EPIC!

And still Clint Eastwood's-(l930) all-time favorite picture

2 minutes ago, spence said:

To TopBilled, i wrote a pc a couple months back SPARATACUS VS GLADIATOR & each reader would vote for their fav of the 2 epics

Don't recall how it came out & did you cast your own pick?

I don't think I voted Spence. Probably because I like both films equally!

I personally never rated KANE'S almost Oscar shut out among the

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think I voted Spence. Probably because I like both films equally!

thanx

12 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

DNA evidence has recently proved he was the killer of one of the victims.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

DNA evidence has recently proved he was the killer of one of the victims.

Thank goodness for scientific proof. It sort of puts the conspiracy theorists in check.

• Like 3

I hate to admit that I've never seen Gladiator all the way through.  I've seen Spartacus numerous times (the Kirk Douglas one).  I always think that it is rather humorous that Tony Curtis sounds like he stepped off the NYC Subway and into the picture.  I saw The Boston Strangler on an FX channel fairly recently.  It took a long time for Tony C. to show up.  There are two movies, one noir and one kind of funny about murderers like Albert De Salvo.  One is the one with John Barrymore's son and the other is No Way to Treat  A Lady.

• Like 1

Tuesday July 21, 2020

screen.png

Classics currently on YouTube

WASHINGTON MERRY-GO-ROUND with Lee Tracy

FAST WORKERS with John Gilbert

THE CLOUDED YELLOW with Jean Simmons (be sure to catch this one!)

SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL with James Cagney

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I want to check out FAST WORKERS. It was directed by Tod Browning (uncredited). I feel so sad when I watch John Gilbert's sound-era films, though. He really didn't deserve all the negativity he got in his final years.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I want to check out FAST WORKERS. It was directed by Tod Browning (uncredited). I feel so sad when I watch John Gilbert's sound-era films, though. He really didn't deserve all the negativity he got in his final years.

Thanks for singling this one out, sagebrush. I watched it on YouTube last night.

At first I felt it was kind of slow, but then things really started gelling about twenty minutes into the story. Mae Clarke is great as the devious chick leading on both guys (John Gilbert and his pal Robert Armstrong) at the same time. It's very precode in terms of how she uses men and doesn't feel sorry about it!

There's a nail-biting sequence near the end where Gilbert, whose character is a construction worker, falls off an unfinished high-rise.

I think you will enjoy watching the film.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for singling this one out, sagebrush. I watched it on YouTube last night.

At first I felt it was kind of slow, but then things really started gelling about twenty minutes into the story. Mae Clarke is great as the devious chick leading on both guys (John Gilbert and his pal Robert Armstrong) at the same time. It's very precode in terms of how she uses men and doesn't feel sorry about it!

There's a nail-biting sequence near the end where Gilbert, whose character is a construction worker, falls off an unfinished high-rise.

I think you will enjoy watching the film.

Sounds great! Thanks!  :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Tuesday July 21, 2020

screen.png

SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL is one of the few Cagney films I haven't seen.

THE CLOUDED YELLOW also sounds interesting.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL is one of the few Cagney films I haven't seen.

Cagney is quite good in it.

• Like 1

Wednesday July 22, 2020

Screen shot 2017-12-08 at 1.45.16 PM.png

More feel-good movies on TCM

THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER by Ernst Lubitsch

HIS GIRL FRIDAY by Howard Hawks

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT by Frank Capra

• Like 1

Over-The-Air channel Movies! is having Noir Thursday again: https://www.moviestvnetwork.com/schedule

20,000 Years in Sing Sing, Womens Prison, Destination Murder, Night Editor, The Killer That Stalked New York, Strange Fascination, One Girls Confession, Nobody Lives Forever, Deadline at Dawn, They Live by Night, The Hunted, Too Late for Tears, International Lady, The Corn is Green

ztbHM-1585069407-2710-movie-NightEditor_

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Davehat said:

Over-The-Air channel Movies! is having Noir Thursday again: https://www.moviestvnetwork.com/schedule

20,000 Years in Sing Sing, Womens Prison, Destination Murder, Night Editor, The Killer That Stalked New York, Strange Fascination, One Girls Confession, Nobody Lives Forever, Deadline at Dawn, They Live by Night, The Hunted, Too Late for Tears, International Lady, The Corn is Green

Thanks. INTERNATIONAL LADY is a spy drama. That's like saying MATA HARI is a film noir. And I would not classify THE CORN IS GREEN as a film noir either. They're being a bit "flexible" with their definition of noir!

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. INTERNATIONAL LADY is a spy drama. That's like saying MATA HARI is a film noir. And I would not classify THE CORN IS GREEN as a film noir either. They're being a bit "flexible" with their definition of noir!

I believe "dave" added International Lady and The Corn is Green since these are the films that really start the Friday programming.   I.e.  Noir Thursday ends with Too Late for Tears.

Maybe,  like me he is on the west coast.   Like TCM,  MOVIES-TV defines a 'day' based on the US East coast time zone.  (and thus the transition from one 'day' to the next 'day' can get confusing for those on the west coast,  and especially if one is in Hawaii,  ha ha).

I know I'm correct here as it relates to The Corn is Green (since MOVIES-TV has a commercial of the noir films they are showing and of course this Davis film isn't one of them).

As for International Lady;  well it wouldn't be that out-there for a network to classify a spy drama as "noir"  (since there is a tendency to over classify films as noir since noir is a hot-genre commercially).

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I believe "dave" added International Lady and The Corn is Green since these are the films that really starts the Friday programming.   I.e.  Noir Thursday ends with Too Late for Tears.

Maybe,  like me he is on the west coast.   Like TCM,  MOVIES-TV defines a 'day' based on the US East coast time zone.  (and thus the transition from one 'day' to the next 'day' can get confusing for those on the west coast,  and especially if one is in Hawaii,  ha ha).

I know I'm correct here as it relates to The Corn is Green (since MOVIES-TV has a commercial of the noir films they are showing and of course this Davis film isn't one of them).

As for International Lady;  well it wouldn't be that out-there for a network to classify a spy drama as "noir"  (since there is a tendency to over classify films as noir since noir is a hot-genre commercially).

I'm certainly glad that INTERNATIONAL LADY is being screened. I don't think TCM has ever played it.

14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I believe "dave" added International Lady and The Corn is Green since these are the films that really starts the Friday programming.   I.e.  Noir Thursday ends with Too Late for Tears.

I'm in the Central Time Zone, and the last two films show up on the next day.

• Thanks 2
On 7/21/2020 at 10:35 PM, Davehat said:

ztbHM-1585069407-2710-movie-NightEditor_

YES I got carried away with my copy-n-paste.  In California primetime starts at 5pm (both Movies! and TCM).

The artist on that poster got a little carried away.  Given this movie was pre-silicone implants (pre-1960) he drew the Girl in White impossibly large.

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday July 23, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 11.21.54 AM.jpeg

Jury duty on TCM

PERFECT STRANGERS with Dennis Morgan, Thelma Ritter & Ginger Rogers

Good film. Not quite up there with 12 ANGRY MEN, but still quite enjoyable all the same.

11 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Good film. Not quite up there with 12 ANGRY MEN, but still quite enjoyable all the same.

Well this one is different from 12 ANGRY MEN, because it has a romantic subplot and that sort of overtakes the rest of the story.

Imagine if 12 ANGRY MEN had a gay romantic subplot! It doesn't really fit in with a movie that is about justice and arriving at the right verdict.

However, I do like Thelma Ritter's performance in PERFECT STRANGERS.

• Haha 1