Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

I know without a doubt that this thread will hit 12,000 views. This has been the easiest thread for me post on, because 95% of the replies were ones I could predict and I worked ahead on the counter-claims.  

I have been saving the pages of the thread in a separate word document.

I haven't been posting much since the enforced change to newest posts first, which I find terribly inconvenient. (Actually, there are other reasons too, like my parents' 50th wedding anniversary and the World Cup.) But I think this thread could use a repost of my schedule in Programming Challenge #24 last December.

I'll let you all figure out why I think it's appropriate in this thread.

I know without a doubt that this thread will hit 12,000 views. This has been the easiest thread for me post on, because 95% of the replies were ones I could predict and I worked ahead on the counter-claims.  

• Like 1

I've just launched a News thread about on-air hosting errors. Maybe some of the errors are causing viewers to look at other platforms and channels for classic film programming...?

These other stations are competition to TCM (i.e. they pull viewers from TCM),  but yea,  it is of a very limited nature.  

But one point is clear:   if a station is showing a movie one really wants to see,  that TCM isn't showning (or hasn't shown for years),   one is likely to seek out that station (or purchase the movie if it is available).    

I just went out an hour ago and dropped $130 at Barnes & Noble's half-price Criteriion Collection sale, which got me two boxed sets and a copy of Samuel Fuller's The White Dog.  I'm fully aware that TCM is not the sole source of terrific movies, but it's far and away the best one for those of us on limited budgets and a desire to go beyond movies we already know and have seen.  I often feel that this point gets lost amidst the constant kvetching about TCM's  shortcomings.  These folks certainly have a right to their opinions, but by the same token I've got a right to mine.

But yea the rotation of movies is very limited on these stations.  

So does TCM have any reason to be concerned?   I have no idea.  But some concern (even if unfounded) by TCM execs would help us TCM viewers;  e.g.  if the concern about losing viewers motivates TCM to lease more movies from outside the Turner Library,  that is a big win for us TCM viewers.       

I would agree with the above sentiment.  We all wish that TCM would expand its repertory in directions that we favor, with all the variety that this implies.  But I also think it's relevant to note the extremely limited nature of these other channels, some of which are premium, and others of which constantly interrupt their films for commercials.

I fail to see what's wrong (or "sarcastic") about pointing out that there's more than one side to a story.  Or is only one side of a discussion considered to be "productive"? 

These other stations are competition to TCM (i.e. they pull viewers from TCM),  but yea,  it is of a very limited nature.  

But one point is clear:   if a station is showing a movie one really wants to see,  that TCM isn't showning (or hasn't shown for years),   one is likely to seek out that station (or purchase the movie if it is available).    

I just went out an hour ago and dropped $130 at Barnes & Noble's half-price Criteriion Collection sale, which got me two boxed sets and a copy of Samuel Fuller's The White Dog.  I'm fully aware that TCM is not the sole source of terrific movies, but it's far and away the best one for those of us on limited budgets.  I often feel that this point gets lost amidst the constant kvetching about TCM's  shortcomings.  These folks certainly have a right to their opinions, but by the same token I've got a right to mine.

But yea the rotation of movies is very limited on these stations.  

So does TCM have any reason to be concerned?   I have no idea.  But some concern (even if unfounded) by TCM execs would help us TCM viewers;  e.g.  if the concern about losing viewers motivates TCM to lease more movies from outside the Turner Library,  that is a big win for us TCM viewers.       

I would agree with the above sentiment.  We all wish that TCM would expand its repertory in directions that we favor, with all the variety that this implies.  But I also think it's relevant to note the extremely limited nature of these other channels, some of which are premium, and others of which constantly interrupt their films for commercials.

I fail to see what's wrong (or "sarcastic") about pointing out that there's more than one side to a story.  Or is only one side of a discussion considered to be "productive"? 

I think we see eye-to-eye here.    Yea, I have been watching MOVIES since they show noir films that TCM isn't showing.  But the commercials as well as the repeats are a royal pain.       So clearly TCM is the best movies station by far,  but, like with almost anything, there is room for improvement.

I don't think you are pointing things out correctly. You griped about Retroflex showing repeats without also acknowledging that TCM shows its share of repeats (as do many other classic movie channels). I am currently looking over the new October schedule for TCM and there are several repeats within the same month, not to mention films airing in October that are airing earlier in the summer. So if you are going to try to slam Retroflex and its sister channels by that criteria (repeats) you have to apply it to TCM, too.  

It is not fair to many viewers at all to show Creature From The Black Lagoon so many times in one year but not show either of it's two sequels. Is it tcm's belief that every time they aired the 1st creature film it got a different host of viewers each time? Or rather do they believe it so popular that many viewers like myself have watched it each time it was scheduled? If the latter then common sense dictates that tcm shoulda broke the two sequels outta mothballs a long time ago...now Svengoolie has stolen their thunder.:D

2u6pk46.jpg

I think a few posters are trying to backtrack or do a bit of damage control with their recent replies in the thread. It does not surprise me when I see which posters have clicked 'like.'

I knew the argument would try to go in the direction of wanting to be able to watch TCM's competitors while still jumping to TCM's defense. You know, the old have your cake and eat it.

And nobody said a poster couldn't watch TCM's rivals. We cannot dictate which stations people watch, that is silly.

But to act like it's wrong to post about ME-TV cutting in on TCM's audience while secretly changing the channel yourself is (cue the definition) hypocrisy.

I am glad we are being honest in the thread now. :)

First of all, the only damage control I see here are your preemptive suppositions on how someone might reply to a statement of yours; you must know said statement could not be watertight if you can anticipate the(se) response(s).  So when the (predictable to you) response is posted, you can say "see I told you" or "I knew it".  As for your statement of it being silly re. dictating that a poster can't watch TCM's competitors, well your previous "the old cake and eat it" is disparaging of this.   

Nothing hypocritical about me thinking the premise of METV cutting into TCM's audience is ridiculous, and posting about, even as I watch Me-TV on occasion (no loud s u c k i n g sound as I get siphoned off to the other side).  I have never been dishonest here, about that or anything else.

It is not fair to many viewers at all to show Creature From The Black Lagoon so many times in one year but not show either of it's two sequels. Is it tcm's belief that every time they aired the 1st creature film it got a different host of viewers each time? Or rather do they believe it so popular that many viewers like myself have watched it each time it was scheduled? If the latter then common sense dictates that tcm shoulda broke the two sequels outta mothballs a long time ago...now Svengoolie has stolen their thunder. :D

2u6pk46.jpg

Well, seein' as how I voiced my opinion WAY back pages and pages ago about TopBilled's premise...just a reminder here...I thought he MIGHT have a point about the "TCM demographic" occasionally checking out what's on the MeTV and Movie! channels as some sort of an alternate viewing possibility, BUT then added that I thought the manner in which he presented his premise as factual "News" was an obvious effort to get people to respond in a negative manner and so he could THEN create some controversy in hopes of this thread becoming more responded to than what it might actually deserve(witness TopBilled's propensity to cite certain "statistics" lately such as the number of persons "viewing" and "posting" in any certain threads(and btw, THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL SLIGHT MR. TB...THIS IS A KNOWN FACT) ...well, as I was sayin' here, SEEIN' as how I've already voiced my opinion about THIS, I just wanna say...or I guess ask...

Are we sure this Svengoolie dude isn't really adult film star Ron Jeremy???

(...'cause I'm tellin' ya here folks, he sure LOOKS like that ugly guy with the rather large you-know-what anyway!!!) LOL

... with FLIX I am getting some British gems like THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST starring Michael Redgrave and Margaret Rutherford that TCM again does not play.

I believe I have seen TIOBE on TCM within the last year or so, although I may be mistaken,

First of all, the only damage control I see here are your preemptive suppositions on how someone might reply to a statement of yours; you must know said statement could not be watertight if you can anticipate the(se) response(s).  So when the (predictable to you) response is posted, you can say "see I told you" or "I knew it".  As for your statement of it being silly re. dictating that a poster can't watch TCM's competitors, well your previous "the old cake and eat it" is disparaging of this.   

Nothing hypocritical about me thinking the premise of METV cutting into TCM's audience is ridiculous, and posting about, even as I watch Me-TV on occasion (no loud s u c k i n g sound as I get siphoned off to the other side).  I have never been dishonest here, about that or anything else.

The above reply makes no sense. A strong statement can be made at the beginning of a thread and be watertight, yet readers and subsequent posters may grapple with it in order to accept its truth. Anticipating those struggles does not make the original statement any less valid or substantial.

Next, some of the poster's replies seem to be written to an audience who will likely come along and click 'like' not to make a meaningful dialogue but to engage an on-going game of one-upmanship. That's sad.

Also, I am dismayed that the poster keeps trying to make these arguments personal. At one point, I remember asking the mod to make sure there was no direct communication between the poster and myself, because I was tired of the personal attacks. Somehow we are back to that and the continual undermining of good and thought-provoking threads/discussions. Thumbs down.

I wonder how many viewers this saturday after watching Bus Stop on tcm are then gonna switch to Me-TV to watch Creature From The Black Lagoon? But there is this, I bet Svengoolie's background info on Creature From The Black Lagoon will be more informative and topical then anything spouted by either Osborne or Mankiewicz would be, certainly it will be funnier.  :D

I don't think you are pointing things out correctly. You griped about Retroflex showing repeats without also acknowledging that TCM shows its share of repeats (as do many other classic movie channels). I am currently looking over the new October schedule for TCM and there are several repeats within the same month, not to mention films airing in October that are airing earlier in the summer. So if you are going to try to slam Retroflex and its sister channels by that criteria (repeats) you have to apply it to TCM, too.

I've many, many times over the past few years stated my wish that TCM would show fewer repeats, but let's get a little perspective.   When I just now looked at Retroflex's online schedule for the next two weeks, I found multiple movies that were repeated 2 or 3 times within a period of 48 hours.    Black Sunday will play 3 times within 24 hours tomorrow.  An Unmarried Woman has 5 scheduled showings over the next two weeks.  Hairspray will have 6.  There are many others that will be played 2 or 3 times within that same period.

How many movies does TCM even show 6 times within the space of a year?  I don't know the answer to that, but I'd strongly suspect that it's very few, and it's a relatively rare occasion that a title even gets shown 3 times within the space of 2 months.  IMO the bigger problem in many ways is that it relegates its "rarer" titles to the overnight schedule, especially those that aren't considered to be in the Hollywood "mainstream", whatever that is.  Of course there are exceptions to this general rule, for which I'm grateful.

As I said, a little perspective.  More power to any network that can provide uninterrupted movies that TCM doesn't have, and even more power to any network that shows these movies without requiring a subscription to a premium movie package.

None of this is meant to say that TCM is perfect.  We all want it to improve in directions that we favor.  But where else are you ever going to find The Housemaid, Diary of a Chambermaid, an entire evening of Mae West, Wings, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, a day full of classic noirs, multiple different Screen Directors' Playhouse shorts, a night full of rare documentaries like the one that's on now (Salesman), and innumerable other classic features from the Studio era and beyond, all in the course of a rather ordinary 7 days?  And I didn't even mention Maureen O'Hara, who's not my cup of tea but who obviously has a big following around here.

• Like 1

I've many, many times over the past few years stated my wish that TCM would show fewer repeats, but let's get a little perspective.   When I just now looked at Retroflex's online schedule for the next two weeks, I found multiple movies that were repeated 2 or 3 times within a period of 48 hours.    Black Sunday will play 3 times within 24 hours tomorrow.  An Unmarried Woman has 5 scheduled showings over the next two weeks.  Hairspray will have 6.  There are many others that will be played 2 or 3 times within that same period.

How many movies does TCM even show 6 times within the space of a year?  I don't know the answer to that, but I'd strongly suspect that it's very few, and it's a relatively rare occasion that a title even gets shown 3 times within the space of 2 months.  IMO the bigger problem in many ways is that it relegates its "rarer" titles to the overnight schedule, especially those that aren't considered to be in the Hollywood "mainstream", whatever that is.  Of course there are exceptions to this general rule, for which I'm grateful.

As I said, a little perspective.  More power to any network that can provide uninterrupted movies that TCM doesn't have, and even more power to any network that shows these movies without requiring a subscription to a premium movie package.

None of this is meant to say that TCM is perfect.  We all want it to improve in directions that we favor.  But where else are you ever going to find The Housemaid, Diary of a Chambermaid, an entire evening of Mae West, Wings, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, a day full of classic noirs, multiple different Screen Directors' Playhouse shorts, a night full of rare documentaries like the one that's on now (Salesman), and innumerable other classic features from the Studio era and beyond, all in the course of a rather ordinary 7 days?  And I didn't even mention Maureen O'Hara, who's not my cup of tea but who obviously has a big following around here.

Glad there has been admission that the whole available schedule for Retroplex and its sister channels was not studied. The issue of TCM repeats is still not being fully addressed.

I wonder how many viewers this saturday after watching Bus Stop on tcm are then gonna switch to Me-TV to watch Creature From The Black Lagoon? But there is this, I bet Svengoolie's background info on Creature From The Black Lagoon will be more informative and topical then anything spouted by either Osborne or Mankiewicz would be, certainly it will be funnier.  :D

Nipkow,

I think BUS STOP will be discussed by Robert Osborne and Drew Barrymore. In all likelihood it will be Drew gushing about Marilyn's performance, with Bob possibly making some comments about William Inge's Broadway play and the adapted screenplay by George Axelrod. It will be interesting to some but not all.

Nipkow,

I think BUS STOP will be discussed by Robert Osborne and Drew Barrymore. In all likelihood it will be Drew gushing about Marilyn's performance, with Bob possibly making some comments about William Inge's Broadway play and the adapted screenplay by George Axelrod. It will be interesting to some but not all.

Neither of them are gonna acknowledge that it's Don Murray's film.

The issue of TCM repeats is still not being fully addressed.

Perhaps not, but since I'm not privy to any inside information on the subject, all I can do is continue to say that I wish they'd have fewer of them, while at the same time noting that relative to other non-commercial channels, they're virtually repeat-free.

• Like 1

I just rewrote the entire TCM October schedule. For those that follow my posts, they know that I have described my process of having a green binder where I hand-write all the schedule information so that I can make my own notes about programming themes/trends and so I can observe and detail the changes/evolving nature of TCM.

One of the things I was looking for (and trust me I was looking for a lot of different things)-- was since October is a month where the horror genre is used a lot in programming-- and since Universal has a lot of horror classics in its catalogue-- you guessed it, I was looking to see how many Universal horror films made the cut in the newest schedule.

I only found one.

Neither of them are gonna acknowledge that it's Don Murray's film.

EXACTLY. You are thinking now!  That is where I was going with it.

We know that if Don Murray is mentioned it will be in reference to how he works with Marilyn Monroe. Very little will be said about him, and it will mostly be about her-- at least from Drew. I could write that wraparound in my sleep.

Also, we know that Bob will mention how Marilyn was able to do BUS STOP because she agreed to lend her name and star power to THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS.  Again, I could write it in my sleep. Osborne and Barrymore are characters on a stage. We know their motivation. We know what they will say.