• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday September 11,

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 11.48.15 AM

movie crazy with harold lloyd

This is a really fun Harold Lloyd sound flick!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday September 12, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 2.44.31 PM.jpeg

Michael Douglas in the 70s on TCM

the china syndrome with jack lemmon & jane fonda

coma with genevieve bujold

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 4.22.18 PM.jpeg

Coma was creepy to me as a teenager, especially the institute lab scenes with the suspended bodies.

And The China Syndrome was just a bit too real, as I had cousins that lived just a few miles from Three Mile Island at the time of the accident.  

• Like 2
18 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

My Mom said that the first place she remembered seeing Tom Selleck was in Coma.  Saw China Syndrome in NYC theater when in college.  Even in NYC, was scared about some sort of mushroom cloud.

Selleck was in a 1975 episode of The Streets of San Francisco. In fact he and Michael Douglas shared several scenes together. Maybe that's what led to his being cast in COMA (1978).

• Like 1

Sunday September 13, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.36.47 PM

Dorothy Dandridge as Star of the Month on TCM

carmen jones with harry belafonte

the bright road with harry belafonte

sun valley serenade with sonja henie

• Like 1

Monday September 14, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 3.08.54 PM

Con artists on TCM

playing around with chester morris

union depot with douglas fairbanks jr.

when in rome with paul douglas

the toast of new york with edward arnold

• Like 1

Thursday September 17, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 6.16.54 PM.jpeg

Directed by Otto Preminger on TCM

angel face with jean simmons

river of no return with robert mitchum

bunny lake is missing with keir dullea

the man with the golden arm with frank sinatra

anatomy of a murder with james stewart

laura with gene tierney

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday September 17, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 6.16.54 PM.jpeg

Directed by Otto Preminger on TCM

angel face with jean simmons

river of no return with robert mitchum

bunny lake is missing with keir dullea

the man with the golden arm with frank sinatra

anatomy of a murder with james stewart

laura with gene tierney

Anatomy of a Murder is one of my favorite films.

Your RKO thread and posting about their French language films in 1931 had me looking at the Wikipedia list of MLV films.  One of the films was a surprise to me: Preminger's The Moon is Blue.  He directed a simultaneous German language version using the same sets but different actors.  The German version was Die Jungfrau auf dem Dach (The Virgin on the Roof).

I didn't know U.S. filmmakers were still doing this as late as the 1950s.

Per IMDb, the English-language stars (Holden, McNamara) have a cameo in the German language version as tourists, and their German language counterparts (Hardy Krüger and Johanna Matz) have the same cameo in the English language version.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Your RKO thread and posting about their French language films in 1931 had me looking at the Wikipedia list of MLV films.  One of the films was a surprise to me: Preminger's The Moon is Blue.  He directed a simultaneous German language version using the same sets but different actors.  The German version was Die Jungfrau auf dem Dach (The Virgin on the Roof).

Per IMDb, the English-language stars (Holden, McNamara) have a cameo in the German language version as tourists, and their German language counterparts (Hardy Krüger and Johanna Matz) have the same cameo in the English language version.

Very interesting. Love that sort of trivia!

If you think about it, this practice still goes on today. Hollywood will often remake French hits into English-language hits like THREE MEN AND A BABY, POINT OF NO RETURN and NINE MONTHS. This is because U.S. audiences are not expected to sit through the originals, either dubbed or with subtitles. Instead they are given an Americanized treatment of the story. 

I am sure it's financially motivated. A remake in one's native language can make more money at the box office than the original in a foreign language. 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:51 PM, TopBilled said:

Saturday September 12, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 2.44.31 PM.jpeg

Michael Douglas in the 70s on TCM

the china syndrome with jack lemmon & jane fonda

coma with genevieve bujold

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 4.22.18 PM.jpeg

When DUSTIN HOFFMAN won his first Oscar for *KRAMER VS KRAMER in '79 He immediately got up and kissed JACK LEMMON knowing he was that superb & the likely runner up in CHINA SYNDROME

• Like 1
Just now, spence said:

When DUSTIN HOFFMAN won his first Oscar for *KRAMER VS KRAMER in '79 He immediately got up and kissed JACK LEMMON knowing he was that superb & the likely runner up in CHINA SYNDROME

GORDON GHEKKO!

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday September 19, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 4.45.04 PM.jpeg

Damon Runyon stories on TCM

guys and dolls with marlon brando

midnight alibi with richard barthelmess

this was the 2nd blow to THE CHAIRMAN after BRANDO got the role in WATERFRONT which he desperately wanted & though FS is my idol, BRANDO was a better actor  & then FRANK wanted the role of SKY MASTERSON vs NATHAN DETROPIT which of course MARLON got instead  Then the 2 heavyweights only referred to the other as MUMBLES & THE SINGER

• Haha 1
Just now, spence said:

this was the 2nd blow to THE CHAIRMAN after BRANDO got the role in WATERFRONT which he desperately wanted & though FS is my idol, BRANDO was a better actor  & then FRANK wanted the role of SKY MASTERSON vs NATHAN DETROIT which of course MARLON got instead  Then the 2 heavyweights only referred to the other as MUMBLES & THE SINGER

On 9/17/2020 at 1:35 PM, TopBilled said:

Friday September 18, 2020

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 5.30.12 PM.jpg

Garbo and some one-word titles on TCM

conquest with charles boyer

camille with robert taylor

ninotchka with melvyn douglas

historians always rank her Oscar nommed role in CAMILLE as one of the greatest ever in cinema, but lost the ACADEMY AWARD to LUISE RAINER instead in THE GOOD EARTH

On 9/16/2020 at 3:47 PM, txfilmfan said:

anatomy of a murder is easily among the greatest courtroom films

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, spence said:

historians always rank her Oscar nommed role in CAMILLE as one of the greatest ever in cinema, but lost the ACADEMY AWARD to LUISE RAINER instead in THE GOOD EARTH

I prefer Rainer's performance in THE GOOD EARTH. In fact, I think Rainer was one of the top actresses of her generation.

Sunday September 20, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.36.47 PM

Dorothy Dandridge continues as Star of the Month on TCM

tamango with curt jurgens

tarzan's peril with lex barker

the harlem globe trotters with thomas gomez

• Like 1