Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

The issue of TCM repeats is still not being fully addressed.

Perhaps not, but since I'm not privy to any inside information on the subject, all I can do is continue to say that I wish they'd have fewer of them, while at the same time noting that relative to other non-commercial channels, they're virtually repeat-free.

I have been tempted to start a separate thread about the repeats, but I know it will turn into a big gripe session and nothing new will be said.

But I am going to start doing something creative about it. I have a very good idea in mind about how to address the issue of TCM repeats and the issue of the Program Challenges which is something I have been aching to tackle, because I have very strong opinions about those. I don't want to get to that until a little ways down the road. I need to map that discussion out, maybe on butcher paper and put it over my desk. LOL

(witness TopBilled's propensity to cite certain "statistics" lately such as the number of persons "viewing" and "posting" in any certain threads(and btw, THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL SLIGHT MR. TB...THIS IS A KNOWN FACT) ...

TopBilled,

I think Dargo has it wrong, doesn’t he? It’s the views you like, the numbers are so much larger than mere posts, yes?. You DO make a big deal of it and I find it embarrassing that an adult (assuming for a minute that you’re not a 12-year-old) is so openly ego-driven and juvenile about a trifle like how many views a thread gets, while at the same time won’t communicate effectively with members who ask for clarification of viewpoints. You recently had two responsible and thoughtful posts asking for just that and you just blew them off with non-answers and glib insincerity. (There was also a particularly egregious example of this about two weeks ago when a member confronted you about this on two occasions. You were not forthcoming.)

And I would like to respectfully request you stop posting the “10 most search titles on the TCM Database.” No one is really responding to that thread, yet you continue to post to it everyday. I can guarantee you this, Mr TopBilled, there is no other member here who is half as obsessed with the Date Base as you are. I’m fine with that, whatever pleases you. The Date Base is there for you look at any time you wish. But other members can do that too, and these other members therefore don’t need to have it pushed in their faces every day. And please consider this. There is a serious glut in GEN DISC, everyone wants their threads to go there and for good reason. There is more traffic. That’s why that it is important to be responsible and considerate to other members by not cluttering the bandwith with unnecessary threads. There are enough threads as it is, and there are only so many that can appear on a single page. Do please consider doing that, let the thread go, please. This is not a dig at you, I believe this is a reasonable request for the good of all. I know you love to “launch” threads and count their views and all that but let’s do something for the team. Let members go the data base themselves if they so desire (and make room on Page One for another thread).

• Like 3

I have been tempted to start a separate thread about the repeats, but I know it will turn into a big gripe session and nothing new will be said.

But I am going to start doing something creative about it. I have a very good idea in mind about how to address the issue of TCM repeats and the issue of the Program Challenges which is something I have been aching to tackle, because I have very strong opinions about those. I don't want to get to that until a little ways down the road. I need to map that discussion out, maybe on butcher paper and put it over my desk. LOL

Over 12,000 views! You go, guy. :D

• Like 1

laffite said: No one is really responding to that thread, yet you continue to post to it everyday.

This is easily 1/4 of this message board. Not only the specific poster you're referring to, but many start threads and are the ONLY person responding to their own threads. I never read those, figuring the poster doesn't WANT anyone to respond.

But I am going to start doing something creative about it. I have a very good idea in mind about how to address the issue of TCM repeats and the issue of the Program Challenges which is something I have been aching to tackle, because I have very strong opinions about those. I don't want to get to that until a little ways down the road. I need to map that discussion out

Wow. Is THIS your idea of "Film Writing & Selected Journalism"? Why not funnel these same energies into having something published rather than wasting it on an internet message board? 

• Like 2

Neither of them are gonna acknowledge that it's Don Murray's film.

I agree that Don Murray is great in BUS STOP,.and I believe.was.Oscar nominated for it. Marilyn was also great, and should have been nominated. BS was the film that Fox dangled over her head, trying to lure her back from New York to sign a new contract with the studio,.and as she was anxious to do the film version of the William Inge play, which had debuted on Broadway in March 1955,.the.studio's strategy worked. Earlier, before she had fled to NYC, Fox.had gotten her to be in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, filmed in the first.half of 1954,.and.which Marilyn didn't really want.to do, by promising another Broadway hit she liked, THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH. It worked then also, but she would soon flee.for the east.coast,.feeling that.the studio kept.offering her demeaning roles.

Wow. Is THIS your idea of "Film Writing & Selected Journalism"? Why not funnel these same energies into having something published rather than wasting it on an internet message board? 

Hi Tiki. Thanks for being interested in me. 

I find that statement to be most revealing. It suggests you do not value the information that can be imparted on an internet board. So if you feel that why, why spend so much time hanging around and reading/posting. Why waste time? I do not see anything I do or anything anyone does on an internet message board as being a waste of time if it is on topic, if it is a conversation about classic movies and classic movie programming.

I know you care about classic movies from what I have seen in your most sincere posts. I know you do not really waste your time. And I feel I do not waste my time on these boards either.

:)

Over 12,000 views! You go, guy. :D

I can't wait till we surpass Fred's youtube thread. He has had more posts. If we had the same number of posts as he did, our views would probably be even greater.

TopBilled,

And I would like to respectfully request you stop posting the “10 most search titles on the TCM Database.” No one is really responding to that thread, yet you continue to post to it everyday. 

Because people are reading it. That thread gains quite a few views per day. I see myself continuing to post on that thread, because it is bringing new data to the discussions every day. If the information suddenly becomes unavailable, there is plenty of information I have already posted where I can go back and offer feedback on what we have seen with recent trends in the searches.

This feature of the database has been around for a long time, so TCM must consider it a valuable thing. Other threads will certainly run their course, but this thread has the potential of lasting as long as the website does.

If you do not like the thread, do not read it. It is as simple as that. But again, because people are referencing it, I know I have struck gold with it. I also know that I would in all kindness never tell someone not stop posting on a thread when it is not inappropriate and it is fostering discussion about classic movies and programming. So thumbs down. Continuing on...

Because people are reading it. That thread gains quite a few views per day. I see myself continuing to post on that thread, because it is bringing new data to the discussions every day. If the information suddenly becomes unavailable, there is plenty of information I have already posted where I can go back and offer feedback on what we have seen with recent trends in the searches.

This feature of the database has been around for a long time, so TCM must consider it a valuable thing. Other threads will certainly run their course, but this thread has the potential of lasting as long as the website does.

If you do not like the thread, do not read it. It is as simple as that. But again, because people are referencing it, I know I have struck gold with it. I also know that I would in all kindness never tell someone not stop posting on a thread when it is not inappropriate and it is fostering discussion about classic movies and programming. So thumbs down. Continuing on...

If you do not like the thread, do not read it. It is as simple as that.

Of course it is. How many years has this board been active? If you went back and counted all the posts that have tried to stop opinions counter to those with the most and loudest opinions, and as an ultimatum to complaints about those posts that have tried to stop opinions counter to those with the most and loudest opinions were told: if you don't like the thread, don't read it, move on, you would have enough posts to stuff a mattress. Or something like that. :)

At any rate, turnabout is fair play.

Keep up the good work, TopBilled.

Speaking of which, ever see the movie Turnabout, where Carole Landis and John Hubbard switch bodies? I thought I liked it, but have seen it again recently and it was.........creepy.

If you do not like the thread, do not read it. It is as simple as that.

Of course it is. How many years has this board been active? If you went back and counted all the posts that have tried to stop opinions counter to those with the most and loudest opinions, and as an ultimatum to complaints about those posts that have tried to stop opinions counter to those with the most and loudest opinions were told: if you don't like the thread, don't read it, move on, you would have enough posts to stuff a mattress. Or something like that. :)

At any rate, turnabout is fair play.

Keep up the good work, TopBilled.

Speaking of which, ever see the movie Turnabout, where Carole Landis and John Hubbard switch bodies? I thought I liked it, but have seen it again recently and it was.........creepy.

I was almost (keyword almost) insulted when the poster asked me to stop a thread. Then I realized, that gives me a lot of power (power I do not want incidentally). But the thread is not inappropriate and I think it's a helpful and good thread. It is raising consciousness about how TCM's programming is resonating with viewers online.

At any rate, maybe part of the deal is to get me to defend some of the threads I create in order to keep me from making new threads. LOL  I have a list of dragoons to sleigh and I feel I have something constructive to say each day, and that's the bottom line-- not whether people really agree or disagree. And as we have said, if a thread is not someone's cup of tea, then go somewhere else for a cup of coffee.

I love Carole Landis by the way. She and I come from the same hometown (though she lived many years ahead of me). I am friends with her niece (the Ridste family lives in North Dakota now). So whenever I get the chance to go by the old farm where Carole was born, I take pictures and send them to Tammy (the niece).  I feel very protective of Carole Landis' legacy. TURNABOUT is not her best film, but it's not bad either-- and you have folks like Adolphe Menjou, Mary Astor and Donald Meek playing support to Carole-- so you can't complain!

So what's wrong with a thread having a very nice and exceptionally high view tally? It gives tcm an avenue to know just how their viewers really feel about uh...things  :)

Some people read this thread for the same reason that some people watch the INDY 500;  they are waiting for a car wreck.

• Like 3

. I also know that I would in all kindness never tell someone not stop posting on a thread when it is not inappropriate and it is fostering discussion about classic movies and programming.

So I guess when you told me to "scram" from one of your threads, that was an anomaly.

So I guess when you told me to "scram" from one of your threads, that was an anomaly.

Hey! No remembering!

I know at least two people this weekend who will be tuning into Svengolie instead of TCM. Myself and my youthful co-worker, who has never seen the Creature from the Black Lagoon before.

Some people read this thread for the same reason that some people watch the INDY 500;  they are waiting for a car wreck.

What I wait for is a thread lock.

What I wait for is a thread lock.

I tried that once, but I look horrible with my hair that way

I know at least two people this weekend who will be tuning into Svengolie instead of TCM. Myself and my youthful co-worker, who has never seen the Creature from the Black Lagoon before.

That tears it! Tcm's gotta get of the stick!  :D

That tears it! Tcm's gotta get of the stick!  :D

Nah. I love TCM. But I am not tuned into it every hour. This morning I watched a noir film on Movies! because I didn't care for the line up on TCM. No biggie. But I gotta tell ya. Even when there isn't anything on TCM that I want to see, I still go there. I am so darn sick of the drug commercials and hair restoration and how big someone's wee wee can be. TV Land has hit new heights in commercial land. I like the Andy Griffith Show, but they play an episode for 40 minutes. Not full episodes either. I watch Leave it to the Beave on MeTV in the morning, and often wonder why Ken Osmond's name appears in the credits, but I don't see him on the show. Same with Perry Mason. They very rarely show switchboard Gertie.

I know many of you will think I'm nuts, but when I came to look at my new apartment and found out the cable was included in the rent, my decision to rent was based on whether or not they got TCM. Goony, I know, but I love old movies.

• Like 1

Nah. I love TCM. But I am not tuned into it every hour. This morning I watched a noir film on Movies! because I didn't care for the line up on TCM. No biggie. But I gotta tell ya. Even when there isn't anything on TCM that I want to see, I still go there. I am so darn sick of the drug commercials and hair restoration and how big someone's wee wee can be. TV Land has hit new heights in commercial land. I like the Andy Griffith Show, but they play an episode for 40 minutes. Not full episodes either. I watch Leave it to the Beave on MeTV in the morning, and often wonder why Ken Osmond's name appears in the credits, but I don't see him on the show. Same with Perry Mason. They very rarely show switchboard Gertie.

I know many of you will think I'm nuts, but when I came to look at my new apartment and found out the cable was included in the rent, my decision to rent was based on whether or not they got TCM. Goony, I know, but I love old movies.

How big someone's wee wee can be? Details? You mean a drug that alleviates prostate problems?

How big someone's wee wee can be? Details? You mean a drug that alleviates **** problems?

P R O S T A T E was bleeped out by the auotocensor. Are you kidding me?

I like tcm too and will gladly be watching Bus Stop featuring an energized over-the-top comedic performance by the underrated Don Murray. The female lead Marilyn Monroe does play well off him I gotta say.  :D