Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

the picture of dorian gray

Just finished reading the book.    The story in the book is more straight forward then the film and I found the sexual aspect in the book interesting (e.g. the painter's homosexual allusions toward Dorian,  and Dorian's asexuality).      But I can see why the screenplay couldn't get near those,  settling for the Donna Reed character to be the child of the painter.

But did they have to add Peter Lawford as a love interest to  Donna?   Oh, well still a fine movie of a great book. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just finished reading the book.    The story in the book is more straight forward then the film and I found the sexual aspect in the book interesting (e.g. the painter's homosexual allusions toward Dorian,  and Dorian's asexuality).      But I can see why the screenplay couldn't get near those,  settling for the Donna Reed character to be the child of the painter.

But did they have to add Peter Lawford as a love interest to  Donna?   Oh, well still a fine movie of a great book. 

Interesting choice of reading. There's a 1970 version (early arthouse cinema) which stars openly bisexual actor Helmut Berger. It's called DORIAN GRAY, has a strong Euro vibe and is fun/campy. I watched it on YouTube not long ago because it features a supporting role for Richard Todd and I was trying to see as many of his films as possible.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting choice of reading. There's a 1970 version (early arthouse cinema) which stars openly bisexual actor Helmut Berger. It's called DORIAN GRAY, has a strong Euro vibe and is fun/campy. I watched it on YouTube not long ago because it features a supporting role for Richard Todd and I was trying to see as many of his films as possible.

Due to Covid,  I'm going through the books I have at home and  I was surprised I even had Dorian Gray.    I don't recall purchasing it,  but likely did years ago at a used book store since I use to purchase any book associated with a film I really liked.    But I never read it until last week.     Good read.  I really liked the parts about art and how that relates to mankind and our appreciation of art and what is "high" art verses art for the masses.  

• Like 1

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings