TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

On 3/18/2021 at 12:02 PM, TopBilled said:

Friday March 19, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 6.28.29 PM

Noir on TCM

the houston story

Drinking "Milkshakes" at the Kings Arms
 Unless I misheard or just completely missed it, Ben Mankiewicz's primetime talk(s) on THE HOUSTON STORY, which retroactively recalls some element of There Will Be Blood (2007), greatly minimized Lee J. Cobb's struggles during filming of the 1956 movie which led to his eventual title role replacement. According to WikipediA, Cobb suffered two heart attacks - he would die from yet another many years on - the proverbial far cry from what I think Mankiewicz described as some Texas heat exhaustion!
 It was interesting getting a black 'n' white glimpse of one of the San Fernando Valley's once regal restaurants, Kings Arms, getting relocated as a Lone Star nightclub. I wonder if this choice of cuisine was anyway related to Barbara Hale who, along with her actor-husband Bill Williams, was a longtime resident of the SFValley...
 Bill Williams, by the way, is said to have turned down the lead in the Sea Hunt series because he didn't think there was a future for underwater television. With Assignment: Underwater, Williams got a second dive character opportunity but, as Williams earlier feared, that television show did quickly run out of air, descending to oblivion.
 Speaking of Texas oil and scuba diving, has TCM ever screened MARACAIBO (1958)? I can read TopBilled responding with a "no" as neither Alfred Hitchcock was at the helm nor Cary Grant in the camera viewer.
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Drinking "Milkshakes" at the Kings Arms
 Unless I misheard or just completely missed it, Ben Mankiewicz's primetime talk(s) on THE HOUSTON STORY, which retroactively recalls some element of There Will Be Blood (2007), greatly minimized Lee J. Cobb's struggles during filming of the 1956 movie which led to his eventual title role replacement. According to WikipediA, Cobb suffered two heart attacks - he would die from yet another many years on - the proverbial far cry from what I think Mankiewicz described as some Texas heat exhaustion!
 It was interesting getting a black 'n' white glimpse of one of the San Fernando Valley's once regal restaurants, Kings Arms, getting relocated as a Lone Star nightclub. I wonder if this choice of cuisine was anyway related to Barbara Hale who, along with her actor-husband Bill Williams, was a longtime resident of the SFValley...
 Bill Williams, by the way, is said to have turned down the lead in the Sea Hunt series because he didn't think there was a future for underwater television. With Assignment: Underwater, Williams got a second dive character opportunity but, as Williams earlier feared, that television show did quickly run out of air, descending to oblivion.
 Speaking of Texas oil and scuba diving, has TCM ever screened MARACAIBO (1958)? I can read TopBilled responding with a "no" as neither Alfred Hitchcock was at the helm nor Cary Grant in the camera viewer.

You're correct, MARACAIBO has never aired on TCM. It's a Paramount film.

I finally got a chance to see THE HOUSTON STORY and loved it...absolutely loved it. 

I also read the background info on the film, specifically with regards to Cobb's medical issues. He did live another twenty years and went on to do a lot more work in films and on television.

Personally I think he would have been all wrong for the part. It required someone who had sex appeal, which Gene Barry has in spades. Someone that would have electric chemistry with Barbara Hale. We're supposed to enjoy these two lost souls hooking up even though their future is doomed.

Cobb did appear in MIAMI EXPOSE (1956) later that year for these same producers. Meaning he fulfilled the obligations of his contract after he recovered. In MIAMI EXPOSE he's a cop and in one of the key supporting roles we again have Edward Arnold, who had previously appeared in THE HOUSTON STORY. This was the end of the line for Arnold, who news reports claim was fatally stricken (whatever that means) on the set of MIAMI EXPOSE. 

• Like 1