Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

On 3/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, NoShear said:

Drinking "Milkshakes" at the Kings Arms
 Unless I misheard or just completely missed it, Ben Mankiewicz's primetime talk(s) on THE HOUSTON STORY, which retroactively recalls some element of There Will Be Blood (2007), greatly minimized Lee J. Cobb's struggles during filming of the 1956 movie which led to his eventual title role replacement. According to WikipediA, Cobb suffered two heart attacks - he would die from yet another many years on - the proverbial far cry from what I think Mankiewicz described as some Texas heat exhaustion!
 It was interesting getting a black 'n' white glimpse of one of the San Fernando Valley's once regal restaurants, Kings Arms, getting relocated as a Lone Star nightclub. I wonder if this choice of cuisine was anyway related to Barbara Hale who, along with her actor-husband Bill Williams, was a longtime resident of the SFValley...
 Bill Williams, by the way, is said to have turned down the lead in the Sea Hunt series because he didn't think there was a future for underwater television. With Assignment: Underwater, Williams got a second dive character opportunity but, as Williams earlier feared, that television show did quickly run out of air, descending to oblivion.
 Speaking of Texas oil and scuba diving, has TCM ever screened MARACAIBO (1958)? I can read TopBilled responding with a "no" as neither Alfred Hitchcock was at the helm nor Cary Grant in the camera viewer.

This was a good B! I'd never heard of it before. It was a surprise seeing Hale as a blonde vamp, and she was very good in her role. I expect this may pop up on Noir Alley one of these months.....

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

In the "other sources" column MGM channel on Direct/ATT has a couple of  Noir features on Tuesday.  

Thanks. Which noir titles are they airing?

26 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. Which noir titles are they airing?

Usually the same as Eddie. They did show The Woman in the Window which I had never seen and really enjoyed. 

There's another cable channel called Movies! out of Chicago, might have been already mentioned. I haven't had cable for a few years but at the time they showed  quite a bit of stuff TCM didn't.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Usually the same as Eddie. They did show The Woman in the Window which I had never seen and really enjoyed. 

Yes, excellent movie. Enjoy it very much.

52 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

There's another cable channel called Movies! out of Chicago, might have been already mentioned. I haven't had cable for a few years but at the time they showed  quite a bit of stuff TCM didn't.

You don't need cable TV to see Movies!  It's an over-the-air channel.  All you need is an antenna and to be close enough to a station that carries it to get reception.

https://moviestvnetwork.com/wheretowatch/

• Thanks 1
On 4/13/2021 at 12:14 PM, TopBilled said:

Wednesday April 14, 2021

the ladykillers

I'm so thrilled they included this gem in the 31 Days schedule, even though it didn't win anything and was only nominated in one category. A film with all character actors- how can it go wrong?!

My favorite scene is when Katie Johnson first interrupts the "Quartet" when they are practicing. When she opens the door and they all pick up their instruments, Herbert Lom is holding his Viola upside down. 😄

• Like 1