Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

20 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I'm so thrilled they included this gem in the 31 Days schedule, even though it didn't win anything and was only nominated in one category. A film with all character actors- how can it go wrong?!

My favorite scene is when Katie Johnson first interrupts the "Quartet" when they are practicing. When she opens the door and they all pick up their instruments, Herbert Lom is holding his Viola upside down. ūüėĄ

Yes, I also love THE LADYKILLERS. Fun film.

• Like 1

I think TCM airs the best selection of classic movies - especially older movies.  There are so many movie masterpieces that deserve to be watched even if they were made a long time ago.  It's a different experience to watch classic films not broken up by commercials.   I like that certain types of movies that are never shown on other networks get some airtime on TCM such as silent films and foreign films.   Svengoolie is fun and amusing but the quality of the films aren't close to TCM.

Other sources of classic films are Netflix DVD (the DVD's that are sent in the mail).  There are millions of movies in this collection.  You can view one movie at a time for less than $10 a month.  Depending on where you live, the public library has lots of classic movies and it is free.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Toto said:

I think TCM airs the best selection of classic movies - especially older movies.  There are so many movie masterpieces that deserve to be watched even if they were made a long time ago.  It's a different experience to watch classic films not broken up by commercials.   I like that certain types of movies that are never shown on other networks get some airtime on TCM such as silent films and foreign films.   Svengoolie is fun and amusing but the quality of the films aren't close to TCM.

Other sources of classic films are Netflix DVD (the DVD's that are sent in the mail).  There are millions of movies in this collection.  You can view one movie at a time for less than $10 a month.  Depending on where you live, the public library has lots of classic movies and it is free.

Thank you. Good post!

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sunday May 2, 2021

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 11.53.09 AM.jpeg

Food on TCM

oliver!

I often wonder whether there's a minimum number of airings required when they license these.  This will be the 3rd showing for Oliver! in the past month.

Or maybe they just want to get their money's worth.

19 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I often wonder whether there's a minimum number of airings required when they license these.  This will be the 3rd showing for Oliver! in the past month.

Or maybe they just want to get their money's worth.

Sometimes the licensing agreements are for three broadcasts. So if they've paid for all that, they won't just air it once or twice. 

I think the fee varies, based on the hours the film will be shown. Sometimes the title airs in primetime, but then gets a 3 a.m. showing the next time.

Occasionally, they are leasing a whole package of films from the studio/owner.