Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Re(minded): "Some of the wraparound segments have errors in them. Whoever is writing them hasn't fully researched everything. And it makes the hosts look uninformed when that happens."

This reminded me of The Bathing Suit Incident that occurred a couple of years ago or so on TCM: A so-called Elizabeth Taylor expert ("expert"?) and a co-host erroneously downplayed Taylor's iconic swimwear in Suddenly, Last Summer!?!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, NoShear said:

Re: "Alicia Malone's intro...of the '58 film."

I was admiring Alicia Malone's legs when the cameraman, perhaps catching himself (or herself) in a linger, quickly adjusted to the agenda of TCM.

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, NoShear said:

I was admiring Alicia Malone's legs when the cameraman, perhaps catching himself (or herself) in a linger, quickly adjusted to the agenda of TCM.

Don't know if it's true in TCM's case, but a lot of TV studio camera these days are automated/robotic.  No camera operators any longer.   This is true for most newscasts at the network and local level.  I could see where it would work just as well for TCM's purposes.

Here's a blooper where BBC News's robo-cams go off-script and take the news presenter's teleprompter with it.  She has to move in order to continue reading her script.

• Thanks 1

Thursday June 10, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 1.00.11 PM

Judy on TCM

presenting lily mars

listen darling

for me and my gal

till the clouds roll by

the pirate

summer stock

a star is born

• Like 1
22 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Don't know if it's true in TCM's case, but a lot of TV studio camera these days are automated/robotic.  No camera operators any longer.   This is true for most newscasts at the network and local level.  I could see where it would work just as well for TCM's purposes.

Here's a blooper where BBC News's robo-cams go off-script and take the news presenter's teleprompter with it.  She has to move in order to continue reading her script.

It doesnt work for me.

On 6/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, TopBilled said:

Monday June 14, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 4.51.35 PM

Tribute on TCM

This response is off-topic, but then so was Ben Mankiewicz's aside about the 2017 World Series during the introduction to the evening's celebration of Norman Lloyd, a fan of "Dem Bums"...

Los Angeles lost the 2017 World Series to Houston not because of the Astros' sign stealing but because of reasons such as manager Dave Roberts' mismanagement of the Dodgers pitching staff and players such as the brilliant-but-stubborn rookie, Cody Bellinger, who set a World Series record of striking out 17 times, and the physically-imposing Yasiel Puig whose bark was worse than his bat. Collectively, Bellinger and Puig averaged a pathetic .145 for that Series!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, NoShear said:

This response is off-topic, but then so was Ben Mankiewicz's aside about the 2017 World Series during the introduction to the evening's celebration of Norman Lloyd, a fan of "Dem Bums"...

Los Angeles lost the 2017 World Series to Houston not because of the Astros' sign stealing but because of reasons such as manager Dave Roberts' mismanagement of the Dodgers pitching staff and players such as the brilliant-but-stubborn rookie, Cody Bellinger, who set a World Series record of striking out 17 times, and the physically-imposing Yasiel Puig whose bark was worse than his bat. Collectively, Bellinger and Puig averaged a pathetic .145 for that Series!

It is silly to claim there is only ONE reason the Dodgers lost to Houston in the 2017 World Series.    Few things in life are that black and white;

Roberts' did make some bonehead moves as manager and the Astros stole signs and cheated.   More than two things can be true at the same time. 

40 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "It is silly to claim there is only ONE reason the Dodgers lost to Houston in the 2017 World Series.    Few things in life are that black and white;

Roberts' did make some bonehead moves as manager and the Astros stole signs and cheated.   More than two things can be true at the same time."

As I previously suggested, jamesjazzguitar, it was a combo of reasons. Had Dave Roberts not overpitched Yu Darvish while, conversely, underpitching Alex Wood, and there had been better bat control displayed by players such as Cody Bellinger, I think the Dodgers well could've rendered whatever sign stealing that took place moot.

1 hour ago, NoShear said:

As I previously suggested, jamesjazzguitar, it was a combo of reasons. Had Dave Roberts not overpitched Yu Darvish while, conversely, underpitching Alex Wood, and there had been better bat control displayed by players such as Cody Bellinger, I think the Dodgers well could've rendered whatever sign stealing that took place moot.

I see that you know what went down in that series.     Sorry if I got a little defensive since I've been a Dodger fan since I was a kid.

Clearly Roberts should have pitched Alex Wood more.

As for Darvish:    Wasn't he one of the pitchers that was most impacted by the sign stealing (or did this wind-up motion give away his pitches and one doesn't need to steal signs against him?

Yea,  bat control is an issue with Cody;   He is young so hopefully he can improve his eye and get more patience.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "I see that you know what went down in that series.     Sorry if I got a little defensive since I've been a Dodger fan since I was a kid."

I thought it seemed a bit chippy for you, jamesjazzguitar, but no problem...

Yes, I followed that Series pretty closely for some reason that year, and what a Series it was - one of the great ones, in fact. It was an odd one, too: Traditionally a pitcher's park, as you no doubt well know, Dodger Stadium was turned into the Launching Pad for that Series - thanks to, I think, a combo of tighter-wound balls and the heat.

Smile, jamesjazzguitar: a trio of pennants in recent years and the reigning Champs!

• Like 1
On 6/16/2021 at 1:09 PM, TopBilled said:

Thursday June 17, 2021

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 10.10.18 AM.jpeg

Hoodlums on TCM

the young savages

I thought of the notorious Puerto Rican gangbanger, "The Capeman", when Neil Nephew's caped character is seen fleeing in the wrecking site, even looking to see if his medallion is a Dracula cross. Sure enough, Anthony "The Batman" Aposto is said to have been loosely modeled on the real-life "vampire", Salvador Agron, who once stalked the streets of New York in a black, red-lined cape.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sunday June 20, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.54.32 AM

Baptism on TCM

life with father

I never get tired of this film!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Monday June 21, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.42.49 AM

Triangle on TCM

moon over miami

I'm looking forward to this one. I wish TCM would show Betty Grable's films more often.

• Like 1