Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

I have a hard time watching Bus Stop. It reminds me of my days of wiggling & jiggling before a hord of enraptured men. "Way, hey, rock & roll, put another dime in the jukebox, baby..."

I have a hard time watching Bus Stop. It reminds me of my days of wiggling & jiggling before a hord of enraptured men. "Way, hey, rock & roll, put another dime in the jukebox, baby..."

I also have a hard time watching Bus Stop but because the Don Murray character is such a total jerk.   But Don does do a great acting job.  

Soooo, I guess I WAS the only one who thinks Svengoolie looks like Ron Jeremy then, huh.

(...you people need to get around more)

Soooo, I guess I WAS the only one who thinks Svengoolie looks like Ron Jeremy then, huh.

(...you people need to get around more)

I'd recommend some of his titles - but it's actually kinda difficult watching the hedgehog. Not an attractive sight, no sir.

I'd recommend some of his titles - but it's actually kinda difficult watching the hedgehog. Not an attractive sight, no sir.

Yeah, but wasn't he terrific in that one Western he did? "Hard On The Trail" ?!

(...aaah, ya see THIS is why you NEVER throw old material away...you never know when you can use it again!)

I also know that I would in all kindness never tell someone not stop posting on a thread ...

How about telling someone to “scram” LOL. Did you really do that? Tsk, Tsk. Thumbs down. Careful, visibility is not always good from the high horse.

:P

My request of you, though irregular, is legit IMO, under the circumstances. And I explained why. What a nice gesture that would be coming from you! Yes, you would lose a few views, but you would be doing something far better. You would be affording a valued space on page one to SOMEONE  ELSE (where you always make sure you’re represented anyway). To repeat, the data base is already part of the site and can be accessed by all. We don't need to take up space with redundant thread. Thumbs down.

--

I also have a hard time watching Bus Stop but because the Don Murray character is such a total jerk.   But Don does do a great acting job.  

He's a jerk for expending himself tryin' to win the heart of whitefaced Marilyn. He shoulda gone for the sweet angelic Hope Lange.  :)

2lw4rh0.jpg

He's a jerk for expending himself tryin' to win the heart of whitefaced Marilyn. He shoulda gone for the sweet angelic Hope Lange.  :)

Tryin' to win her heart? Dude, that was a straight-up kidnapping.

He's a jerk for expending himself tryin' to win the heart of whitefaced Marilyn. He shoulda gone for the sweet angelic Hope Lange. :)

2lw4rh0.jpg

Well.he did in real life. Murray and Lange.married shortly.afterward.

Tryin' to win her heart? Dude, that was a straight-up kidnapping.

It's not every cowpoke who woulda done that. Bo won every event in that there rodeo. Whiteface shoulda been flattered.  :)

Topbilled, what is the best way to find out how badly Me-TV is gonna beat out tcm this saturday nite?  :D

6504z9.jpg

How big someone's wee wee can be? Details? You mean a drug that alleviates **** problems?

Wow, not every war movie was Casablanca, was it?

Richard Dix on TCM today. Engaged to a rich t-w-i-t, it's WWI, he's 40 years old, and she calls him a coward for not signing up. He is a sculptor, guess the idiot never heard of sculptors who made statues of war heroes returning, or as Dix called them, lemmings.

So even though the premise is from hunger, I watch. Even after (naturally the year is 1933) he joins up instead of dumping her, it is after all Richard Dix at his most beautiful. Had to give up, though, when he goes to join his mates at the barracks, where, because the AHA was not yet invented and the movies threw horse over cliffs with a trip wire, they had in residence what looked like a dead goat, a parrot, a young chimp, and - what does Dix bring to be his mascot? - a lion cub. So, before the lion cub got a little older and ate the goat and the chimp and the parrot.....................I turned it off.

I'm sure I could see the proper ending coming - Dix died a hero and his stupid t-w-i-t of a fiancee would be suitably proud.

Glad I wasn't in the theater at that movie.

Ditto on a Robert Montgomery/Walter Houston naval movie - Bob did wrong, had to pay.

Ditto on an excellent British movie with the very pretty Conrad Veidt - went down with the ship, even though the ship wasn't his. The look on the face of Valerie Hobson (spy) who was married to a Brit (spy) - man, that must have been SOME kiss from Veidt!

They didn't whisper patriotism in the 1930s, did they, they hit the audience over the head with a shovel. Guess it has been good to be a Baby Boomer after all. :D

Huge news. Coming in just over an hour.  Check back around 12 p.m. Pacific Time.  

You win, Top Billed! You should break 13,000 tonight!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

You win, Top Billed! You should break 13,000 tonight!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!celebrate007_2.gif

Too funny. Trust me, I have had threads I cared a lot about it and put more effort into, and those barely hit 2,000. 

Too funny. Trust me, I have had threads I cared a lot about it and put more effort into, and those barely hit 2,000. 

celebrate014_2.gifcelebrate015_2.gifcelebrate012_2.gifcelebrate008_2.gif

P R O S T A T E was bleeped out by the auotocensor. Are you kidding me?

Finance, I do find it shocking that the word prostate was bleeped. You should do why I am doing in the Off-Topic section with another forbidden word. Start a thread there devoted to your bleeped word, adding to it regularly with articles, features, even perhaps a photo on occasion. You'd be dong a public service, you could consider your posts public service announcements, or PSAs!

you do not value the information that can be imparted on an internet board. So if you feel that why, why spend so much time hanging around and reading/posting.

I am a published writer and historian, albeit in an esoteric field. The general public as well as academia regards anyone who has been published an "authority" and "expert" in their field. (not always warranted) Anyone who uses the internet as a "source" for material is quickly discounted, as 99% of people realize the internet is filled with opinions and rumors rather than established facts.

While I may spend an hour a day reading & posting on internet boards, it is solely for entertainment. I enjoy hearing how a movie effected someone emotionally or if they thought that blockbuster was a "stinker" or if a "scene" was offensive. I spend time here mostly to hear opinions-opinions of those interested in classic film. (like a big coctail party)

But I certainly do not consider posting on internet message boards "journalism"- you're not being paid for sharing your knowledge, you're just posting your opinion.

If you are a screenwriter/journalist, writing on an internet message board is not furthering your career, it's just a funneling your energy away from being published.

P R O S T A T E was bleeped out by the auotocensor. Are you kidding me?

I've fixed this as of this morning.  I did an initial pass but the auto censor list is pretty big so I am sure I missed a few words that aren't in there!

• Like 1

you do not value the information that can be imparted on an internet board. So if you feel that why, why spend so much time hanging around and reading/posting.

I am a published writer and historian, albeit in an esoteric field. The general public as well as academia regards anyone who has been published an "authority" and "expert" in their field. (not always warranted) Anyone who uses the internet as a "source" for material is quickly discounted, as 99% of people realize the internet is filled with opinions and rumors rather than established facts.

While I may spend an hour a day reading & posting on internet boards, it is solely for entertainment. I enjoy hearing how a movie effected someone emotionally or if they thought that blockbuster was a "stinker" or if a "scene" was offensive. I spend time here mostly to hear opinions-opinions of those interested in classic film. (like a big coctail party)

But I certainly do not consider posting on internet message boards "journalism"- you're not being paid for sharing your knowledge, you're just posting your opinion.

If you are a screenwriter/journalist, writing on an internet message board is not furthering your career, it's just a funneling your energy away from being published.

I felt like I had to wade through a bunch of snobbery to understand what you just wrote. I guess if you do not value communication on the internet, then we should not really value your contributions to our message board community. After all, you are suggesting that your words are mere exercises in entertainment. We can be amused by what you are writing but never have to take a word you say seriously, right? Thanks for letting us off the hook!

Anyone who uses the internet as a "source" for material is quickly discounted, as 99% of people realize the internet is filled with opinions and rumors rather than established facts.

I think it's more correct to say that 99% of the information posted on the internet is crap, and 99% of the people don't realize it.

?

How do you know TopBilled hasn't been published or that he/she doesn't have a column in a newspaper? Since you devalue online writing so vehemently, have you written Stephen King to tell him NOT to ever again considering online publishing of his novels?

I'm surprised to read this from you. Then again, you never did answer the question I put to you about a carousel.

Oh well, such is life.

• Like 1

?

How do you know TopBilled hasn't been published or that he/she doesn't have a column in a newspaper? Since you devalue online writing so vehemently, have you written Stephen King to tell him NOT to ever again considering online publishing of his novels?

I'm surprised to read this from you. Then again, you never did answer the question I put to you about a carousel.

Oh well, such is life.

Good job, primos. It seems rather haughty to suggest that any/all writing on the internet is not valid. It just doesn't make sense in this day and age.

I've fixed this as of this morning.  I did an initial pass but the auto censor list is pretty big so I am sure I missed a few words that aren't in there!

So I've deleted it. It's not as if the post was a work of art.

I thank you, and my prostate thanks you.

Thumbs down on this post. I do not like how people are being allowed to take a thread topic way out into left field like this. It dilutes (intentionally?) thoughtful discussions about classic movies and programming.

?

Come on, you can do better than this. This is just another straw man argument (and thank you for supplying yet another example for my class; much appreciated).  The post to which you are referring simply talked about posting on internet message boards, which is a far cry from online publishing.  Even online publishing often involves peer review;  no such review applies for message boards.