TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Wednesday September 1, 2021

343BA92C-9539-48F0-8EA6-5D0995C40BFC_1_201_a

Ginger on TCM

finishing school

the barkleys of broadway

THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY is one of my favorite Fred and Ginger vehicles. They play bickering married couple so well!

• Like 1

I just scanned the September line up and have found it lacking! I, for one, am sick and tired of the repetitious format.  Summer Under the Stars showed almost the same movies from the same stars as last year.  I saw Ben Mankowitz touting the changes that were going to occur on TCM as of September 1st and he must mean next year because I don't see any change in the film line-up for September.  I have a feeling Robert Osborn is turning in his grave! He was top notch film historian and the variety of movies he ran when he was host was excellent. It's too bad that that doesn't happen anymore.  Here are a sample of the movies no longer shown on TCM and some that should be shown: Donovan's Reef, Lucky Lady, The High and the Mighty, The Match Maker, All About Eve, Houdini, Stalag 17, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Man of a Thousand Faces, We're No Angles, My Sister Eileen (the 1942 version), The Tea House of the August Moon, Rope, Leave Her to Heaven, Notorious, House of Frankenstein, Rebecca, Dead Reckoning, House of Dracula, Sorry, Wrong Number, Lost Horizon, You Can't Take it With You, Ruggles of Red Gap, The Eagle and the Hawk, The Magnificent Seven (1960 version),  Drums Along the Mohawk, Airport (which was Van Heflin's last movie and could have been included on Van Heflin day) How about HELP, Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour, All That Jazz, Bound For Glory, The Elephant Man, Amadeus, All That Jazz, Silent Running, Schindler's List The Boy in the Striped Pajamas,  and so on. Yes they are all American movies and I have no gripe with foreign films either, I found the series they recently did about post war Japan was pretty great, it's good to know there are more movies around than The Rashomon Gate. I also will agree that there are many more fine movies from the 1960's on to today that are classics or will be besides The Graduate. I' m very puzzled about the programming department's inability to reach back into the past and deliver the classic movies that most of us old timers enjoy, and should be mixed in with the new stuff, not just keep running the same movies every month.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pacas12 said:

Here are a sample of the movies no longer shown on TCM and some that should be shown: Donovan's Reef, Lucky Lady, The High and the Mighty, The Match Maker, All About Eve, Houdini, Stalag 17, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Man of a Thousand Faces, We're No Angles, My Sister Eileen (the 1942 version), The Tea House of the August Moon, Rope, Leave Her to Heaven, Notorious, House of Frankenstein, Rebecca, Dead Reckoning, House of Dracula, Sorry, Wrong Number, Lost Horizon, You Can't Take it With You, Ruggles of Red Gap, The Eagle and the Hawk, The Magnificent Seven (1960 version),  Drums Along the Mohawk, Airport (which was Van Heflin's last movie and could have been included on Van Heflin day) 

Almost all of these are outside the Turner library, which consists mainly of MGM/UA, WB and RKO titles. 

Since TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON is an MGM film and NOTORIOUS is an RKO film those are likely to turn up again. The other ones depend on budget (what it costs to lease them from the copyright owners) as well as future themes the programmers are interested in doing.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, TopBilled said:

Tuesday September 7, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 8.14.16 PM

Kazan on TCM

a streetcar named desire

east of eden

baby doll

a face in the crowd

america america

the arrangement

All are terrific except The Arrangement.  How could Kazan take his own novel, which I totally enjoyed, and turn it into such a terrible movie?

• Haha 1

Found another channel through youtube TV which seems to have some decent classic films during the morning hours.  FXM Retro, which i had never heard about from anyone else but seems to be a new FX channel.  Not sure if this is the thread for this as it doesn't seem to go with the other posts i see, but the name of the thread includes 'other sources for classic film'.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Found another channel through youtube TV which seems to have some decent classic films during the morning hours.  FXM Retro, which i had never heard about from anyone else but seems to be a new FX channel.  Not sure if this is the thread for this as it doesn't seem to go with the other posts i see, but the name of the thread includes 'other sources for classic film'.

Yes, that's fine. Thanks for mentioning FXM Retro.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

You've found the right topic for your post.

What you stumbled across is the FX Movie Channel (FXM).  FXM Retro is a programming block on that channel during the morning and early afternoon hours.   The movies shown in this block are commercial free, whereas the more recent movies aired later in the day on the channel have commercial interruptions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday September 11, 2021

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 3.30.21 PM.jpeg

Justice on TCM

to kill a mockingbird

Awesome movie, with an oscar-winning (and worthy) performance from Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. 

I so wanted to strangle Bob Ewell, not only for his rampant racism all throughout the film, but also for....

(SPOILER ALERT)....his attempt to kill Scout and Jem to get back at Atticus. Seeking harm against innocent children is inexcusable under any circumstances.

Thank heavens for Boo Radley, otherwise those poor kids would have ended up in the morgue instead of Ewell. All through out the fight, even though we only get the basic idea from it from Scout's expressions through the eyes of her costume, I got the frightening impression that Ewell was still making an effort to get at her while trying to fight Boo off.

• Like 3