Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film


Recommended Posts

Just now, TopBilled said:

Sunday September 12, 2021

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 6.06.17 PM

Greece on TCM

zorba the greek

It's been a really long time since I've seen this one.

Didn't one of the actors win a supporting award for this movie? I know it wasn't Anthony Quinn, he was nominated in the Best Actor category but lost to MY FAIR LADY'S Rex Harrison.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

It's been a really long time since I've seen this one.

Didn't one of the actors win a supporting award for this movie? I know it wasn't Anthony Quinn, he was nominated in the Best Actor category but lost to MY FAIR LADY'S Rex Harrison.

Lila Kedrova earned a Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorba_the_Greek_(film)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Tuesday September 14, 2021

218E896A-0411-4EBB-B02C-97B2743EA611_4_5005_c

Tone on TCM

the gorgeous hussy

the girl downstairs

three loves has nancy

Nice selection of films. 

Though I have as of yet caught THREE LOVES HAS NANCY, will want to check that one out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Nice selection of films. 

Though I have as of yet caught THREE LOVES HAS NANCY, will want to check that one out.

It's a lot of fun, a charming rom-com with the usual triangle/complications. Janet Gaynor retired from movies in 1938.

She was coaxed out of retirement for one more film in 1957 back at her old stomping grounds 20th Century Fox.

In THREE LOVES HAS NANCY, she's in peak form.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2014 at 1:39 PM, TopBilled said:

This thread will look at how much people watch TCM (or if they are watching competing channels more).

 

 

 

I watch The Criterion Channel far more for World Cinema and American Classics. 

nothing-sacred.jpg

Don't recall seeing William Wellmann's 1937 newspaper satire, Nothing Sacred, on TCM recently. Watching it on CC.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ando said:

I watch The Criterion Channel far more for World Cinema Classics and American Classics. 

nothing-sacred.jpg

Don't recall seeing William Wellmann's 1937 newspaper satire, Nothing Sacred, on TCM recently. Watching it on CC.

I think NOTHING SACRED aired on August 31st as part of Fredric March's Summer Under the Stars tribute.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think NOTHING SACRED aired on August 31st as part of Fredric March's Summer Under the Stars tribute.

Guess it didn't make it to WatchTCM. The airing wasn't two weeks ago! 🙂

Don't see many 1930s NYC movies in color!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2beccbaf-0d47-45ea-a54c-fb46b129e544-f72

Going through the titles I haven't already seen from the New York Stories: 61 Films retrospective on The Criterion Channel. Today it's Noah Baumbach's Fances Ha:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ando said:

2beccbaf-0d47-45ea-a54c-fb46b129e544-f72

Going through the titles I haven't already seen from the New York Stories: 61 Films retrospective on The Criterion Channel. Today it's Noah Baumbach's Fances Ha:

 

Good info! Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday September 15, 2021

A9153831-9D13-4A69-88FD-DE01DEFED1AD_1_201_a

MacRae on TCM

about face

backfire

the daughter of rosie o’grady

three sailors and a girl

on moonlight bay

by the light of the silvery moon

the desert song

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Wednesday September 15, 2021

A9153831-9D13-4A69-88FD-DE01DEFED1AD_1_201_a

MacRae on TCM

about face

backfire

the daughter of rosie o’grady

three sailors and a girl

on moonlight bay

by the light of the silvery moon

the desert song

Nice line-up. 

Though I can't help but always associate him as Curly in the 1955 film adaptation of OKLAHOMA! That was my first musical and first film I saw him in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Nice line-up. 

Though I can't help but always associate him as Curly in the 1955 film adaptation of OKLAHOMA! That was my first musical and first film I saw him in.

That's a great one to start with and get introduced to his talents as a musical actor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday September 16, 2021

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 8.41.24 AM.jpeg

Bacall on TCM

bright leaf

designing woman

sex and the single girl

key largo

dark passage

the big sleep

to have and have not

Looking forward to these, especially her films with Bogart.

Also can't wait to catch DESIGNING WOMAN as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Looking forward to these, especially her films with Bogart.

Also can't wait to catch DESIGNING WOMAN as well.

Have you seen DESIGNING WOMEN before? I love it. So much fun to watch!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday September 17, 2021

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 4.10.50 PM

Communicate on TCM

cool hand luke

Can I state  just how much I love this movie?

Paul Newman at his finest, along with a wonderful cast of character actors (George Kennedy, Strother Martin, Harry Dean Stanton, J.D. Cannon, Morgan Woodward, etc). 

Probably my favorite prison flick of all time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Can I state  just how much I love this movie?

Paul Newman at his finest, along with a wonderful cast of character actors (George Kennedy, Strother Martin, Harry Dean Stanton, J.D. Cannon, Morgan Woodward, etc). 

Probably my favorite prison flick of all time.

He made so many great films during that period. I also like HOMBRE and RACHEL RACHEL (which Newman directed).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...