Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

21 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday October 1, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 10.34.45 AM

70s on TCM

the bad news bears

I remember hitting against a pitcher in a golden yellow uniform during my 1970s SFValley childhood, but he wasn't as cute as this one:

b57b671fd9a7466eef7c60ae53d88290.jpg

I wonder if some of Tatum O'Neal's equipment actually came from Willis - a sporting goods staple in the Valley at that time:

Sporting+Goods.JPG                                                                                        

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 4:36 PM, TopBilled said:

Friday October 1, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 10.34.45 AM

70s on TCM

the bad news bears

harold and maude

black sunday

Celebrating the cinematography of John Alonzo, TCM didn't make viewers wait too long to see a shoot worthy of praise: Alonzo's depth of field shot of Chatsworth's Mason Park ballfield set the proverbial quiet before the storm of THE BAD NEWS Bears. Ben Mankiewicz's outro talk included the reason for the aforementioned scene's natural lighting: Hundred degree temperatures in the SFValley prompted shoots near the edges of daylight.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, TopBilled said:

Monday October 4, 2021

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 3.55.47 PM

Lewton on TCM

bedlam

the body snatcher

isle of the dead

the curse of the cat people

the ghost ship

i walked with a zombie

the seventh victim

cat people

Great selection of films. Lewton made some really classic flicks in the 40's.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Love this movie.

Though you have to wonder how many Eve Harringtons there really were back then, or are still out there nowadays.

She plays a similar character in GUEST IN THE HOUSE (1944).

It's always sort of annoyed me that people over-emphasize Bette Davis' role in ALL ABOUT EVE. But without Anne Baxter, there is nothing, no title character, no devious machinations. And she's fantastic. Just as excellent as she was in her Oscar winning role in THE RAZOR'S EDGE.

4 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Love this movie.

Though you have to wonder how many Eve Harringtons there really were back then, or are still out there nowadays.

My guess is that there were a lot of what-a-be Eve Harringtons out in the real world of acting but only one in a million were able to advance like Eve in the film.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Looking forward to STAGE DOOR. What a cast!

You have Lucy, Ginger Rogers, Katharine Hepburn, Eve Arden, Adolphe Menjou.....can't wait to catch it.

Also Andrea Leeds who earned an Oscar nomination. She had a short Hollywood career, married some wealthy guy, quit acting and bred racehorses.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Friday October 8, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.47.14 AM

Beauty on TCM

beauty for the asking

mannequin

Thanks for the tip;  I haven't seen either of these films so for me they are premiere films and that is refreshing.

EDITED:   I have seen Beauty For the Asking.    I believe TCM showed the film just within the last 2 - 3 months and that is when I saw it.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I don't recall seeing this one. Will have to check it out.

TRACK OF THE CAT is a Warner Brothers film produced by John Wayne's company Batjac. However, the rights were sold to Paramount, which explains why it seldom airs on TCM. Excellent cast, wonderful outdoor cinematography, interesting storyline. Highly recommended.

While technically labeled a western, it's also an example of color noir.

• Like 1