Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Thumbs down on this post. I do not like how people are being allowed to take a thread topic way out into left field like this. It dilutes (intentionally?) thoughtful discussions about classic movies and programming.

I've deleted it.

Come on, you can do better than this. This is just another straw man argument (and thank you for supplying yet another example for my class; much appreciated).  The post to which you are referring simply talked about posting on internet message boards, which is a far cry from online publishing.  Even online publishing often involves peer review;  no such review applies for message boards.

a. I wasn't talking to you;

b. my argument isn't straw, dear boy. You don't know TopBilled's real name, you have no idea who he is or how far or how wide he is published.

Try again, sweetie. :P

Thumbs down on this post. I do not like how people are being allowed to take a thread topic way out into left field like this. It dilutes (intentionally?) thoughtful discussions about classic movies and programming.

You are just now figuring this out? A person who has posted 11 thousand times and yet you don't seem to understand why or how certain threads are being pulled in other directions? Come on, you can't be serious.

I've deleted it.

Thanks finance. I think PMs to the Mod and the threads in the off-topic chit chat area are perfectly suited to such comments and questions about the website's auto-censor.

b. my argument isn't straw, dear boy. You don't know TopBilled's real name, you have no idea who he is or how far or how wide he is published.

primos,

I currently have six posters on my Ignore preferences list. I would suggest that you use that feature of the website. It makes going through the threads easier because potentially contentious posts are blocked out and eventually those people get the idea after three or four days of your not replying back to them that they are running around in a circle chasing their proverbial tails (or is it tales LOL).

You are just now figuring this out? A person who has posted 11 thousand times and yet you don't seem to understand why or how certain threads are being pulled in other directions? Come on, you can't be serious.

When people sit in a room and have a "bull seesion", the conversations go in many different directions. It is the same with a thread. The free-flowing nature of posts makes going off-topic the most natural result. It takes a concerted effort to remain on-topic.

So no one other than the poster you were answering to, can respond to you? Are you serious?

I guess you don't quite understand how a message board works, do you?

• Like 1

When people sit in a room and have a "bull seesion", the conversations go in many different directions. It is the same with a thread. The free-flowing nature of posts makes going off-topic the most natural result. It takes a concerted effort to remain on-topic.

finance,

It looks like you are quoting something fxreyman said to me which I did not read because I have that poster on Ignore. Maybe if others will report those contentious posts to the mod for the harassment they obviously are, then things around here will get back to normal. Thanks.

I think it's more correct to say that 99% of the information posted on the internet is crap, and 99% of the people don't realize it.

I think 99% of whatever I post is valid....in a corny half-butted sort of way.  :)

primos,

I currently have six posters on my Ignore preferences list. I would suggest that you use that feature of the website. It makes going through the threads easier because potentially contentious posts are blocked out and eventually those people get the idea after three or four days of your not replying back to them that they are running around in a circle chasing their proverbial tails (or is it tales LOL).

As far as I am concerned, the Ignore feature is a terrible way of not taking any responsibility of responding to people you do not like whenever they post opposing viewpoints to you. Or have questions for you just because you are offended by those questions and or comments made to you.

I love the way you duck poster's willingness to confront you with an opposing viewpoint. If you are not careful Top, you will just be responding to a very limited amount of people on these boards. Many people now have you on Ignore as well, or if they don't they avoid you all together.

You may be right when you say things like the number of views is very important, but as I wrote earlier in a different post, if you are not getting any responses then I think the writing will be on the wall.

Being intolerant of opposing viewpoints is what is at the crux of this matter. And someone who espouses to be so far above the fray should not really be posting on a message board at all, considering that a message board is usually filled with opposing viewpoints, different opinions and comments that some find unusual at best.

One last thing, since you have me on Ignore and you will not be reading this, please do us all a big favor. Stop with saying that people are harassing you. If you disagree with someone, that is one thing. But to sit here and claim that someone is harassing you for making an opposing viewpoint or a comment you find to be an irritant, it makes you appear small.

• Like 2

You don't know I'm a dear boy.  Maybe I'm just a dear girl who likes to dress up like a dear boy. :)

As for not knowing a poster's real name, don't be so sure. I would suggest that posters not use their original names when they create their screen names (and then change said names 4 or 5 times). Some of us have long memories.

And your argument was straw, because you took someone's statement, distorted it to suit your needs, then attacked the distorted position.  My remark was not intended as an insult.

• Like 3

primos,

Good suggestion, TopBilled, but it's more fun to read the bloviation.

How are you doing with that kindler and gentler, hon?

Well for one thing Hon, I am not your Hon.

At least I can continue to expect additional irrelavent posts from you, Nipkowdisc and the top dog himself, TB. Although I find it very disappointing that TB has me on Ignore. At least you are smart enough to continue to reply to me. Even if your replies are rather cryptic.

From Wikipedia:

Silly Season: In the United KingdomIrelandIsrael, and in some other places, the silly season is the period lasting for a few summer months typified by the emergence of frivolous news stories in the media. The term was coined in an 1861 Saturday Review article, and was listed in the second edition of Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1894) and remains in use at the start of the 21st century. 

primos,

Instead of talking about number of views and replies and what that all means why don't we discussed what user other users have on 'ignore' the most,  and what user has the most users on ignore.  

Now those stats would really tell us something.     Should one be proud that they have more people on "ignore" than anyone else?  

Well for one thing Hon, I am not your Hon.

At least I can continue to expect additional irrelavent posts from you, Nipkowdisc and the top dog himself, TB. Although I find it very disappointing that TB has me on Ignore. At least you are smart enough to continue to reply to me. Even if your replies are rather cryptic.

Thanks, sweetie. BTW, it's irrelevant.

Instead of talking about number of views and replies and what that all means why don't we discussed what user other users have on 'ignore' the most,  and what user has the most users on ignore.  

Now those stats would really tell us something.     Should one be proud that they have more people on "ignore" than anyone else?  

Exactly. I have no one on ignore. Never have, never will. I like reading everything. You expand your horizons even IF you do not agree with the other person.

• Like 3

Should one be proud that they have more people on "ignore" than anyone else?  

According to Isaac Newton, the number of people a poster has on ignore is inversely proportional to the square of the number of times that anyone agrees with that poster.

Sounds like a topic for another thread. It is not a thread I would participate in, since my focus is on classic movies and programming. 

I don't think anyone has said they were proud they had others on ignore. In a way, it signifies a failure in communication, though with some cases it is absolutely necessary in order to deflect arguments. The designers of the website included the Ignore preferences for a reason, and I am glad they did.

Moving on...