Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

46 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Maybe it will turn into a TCM December staple, like IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVENUE and HOLIDAY AFFAIR. Later Thursday night they are airing THE CHEATERS for the 2nd consecutive year. I saw it for the first time last year and was very impressed and also a bit surprised I had never heard of it before (especially since I am a fan of Joseph Schildkraut.)

Big fan of THE CHEATERS. Love Republic Pictures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Sunday December 26, 2021

screen 2.jpeg

Doris on TCM

midnight lace

the thrill of it all

send me no flowers

Merry Christmas! 🙂 Must admit, I haven't watched a DDay film, save the Hitccock above, that didn't feature her singing. I'll catch one of these tomorrow. Thanks.

• Like 1

edce4235-a869-4418-91bc-9809c7bd4a6b.jpg

The Rocket from Calabuch (1956, Barlanga)

I love this one from Berlanga. An unassuming old physicist who gets into a hot seat over the atom bomb controversy takes refuge in an obscure Spanish town and forms a bond of frienship with its denizens. Charming romp.

• Thanks 1

clssyt1.jpg

lilies-of-the-field.jpg

Lillies of the Field (1963, Ralph Nelson)

A travelling handyman becomes the answer to the prayers of nuns who wish to build a chapel in the desert.

Don't make em like this anymore. Avoid the colorized version like the plague. Not sure long how YouTube'll run it. Safe bet is til the end of the month.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ando said:

clssyt1.jpg

lilies-of-the-field.jpg

Lillies of the Field (1963, Ralph Nelson)

A travelling handyman becomes the answer to the prayers of nuns who wish to build a chapel in the desert.

Don't make em like this anymore. Avoid the colorized version like the plague. Not sure long how YouTube'll run it. Safe bet is til the end of the month.

Could not agree more and your choice of a picture is from my favorite scene where they "debate" the bible - it's pure movie chemistry gold between two talented actors. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday December 30, 2021

054D7C33-E672-46B6-B5FD-DB12527F4D7B_4_5005_c

Tamblyn on TCM

hit the deck

don’t go near the water

father of the bride

seven brides for seven brothers

west side story

the haunting

Talented guy who's still around, Bless him. Didn't know he was Tom Thumb in the 1958 MGM musical! Why don't they air that one? Off to find a nice version of it now... 🙂

720full-russ-tamblyn.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ando said:

Talented guy who's still around, Bless him. Didn't know he was Tom Thumb in the 1958 MGM musical! Why don't they air that one? Off to find a nice version of it now... 🙂

They actually showed it in November (Thanksgiving day, I believe.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All Over Town, the 1937 Olsen and Johnson "comedy" is currently available on Amazon Prime and on YouTube.

As far as I'm concerned, the "comedy" antics of Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson are an acquired taste -- ditto Brown and Carney, The Ritz Brothers, Snoopnagle and Budd, and Joe Penner.

Among the cast in All Over Town is Harry Stockwell, father of Dean and Guy and the singing voice of the Prince in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs*. Sometimes -- at certain camera angles and in medium camera shots -- Stockwell, to me, resembled Paul Newman.

Although I don't find Olsen and Johnson at all funny, I wish that Turner Classic Movies would broadcast Hellzapoppin and especially Ghost Catchers.

all-over-town-movie-poster-1937-10202461

* Should the title be Snow White and the Seven Dwarves?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last call for Kirk...

kdoug1.jpg

df51ead6-0e97-47cc-9f6e-a35c13a58507.jpg

There Was A Crooked Man (1970, Joseph L. Mankiewicz)

Revisiting one of my favorites from Kirk and Mank on the Criterion Channel. Offbeat and nasty, this wayward Prison Break/Western is right on point about American society. May sneak in another Douglas flick by January 1st. They're all leaving by midnight tonight.

• Like 1