Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

26 minutes ago, mkahn22 said:

You're right - those would be really good remakes with the added freedom today affords them. But they'd have to be  period films as, otherwise, there's almost no conflict in "The Children's Hours," and the same for "The Letter," as the career and life-wreaking fallout from an affair just doesn't really exist today like in did then. 

Well I think THE LETTER can be set in a modern era, with the emphasis not on her having an affair, but the emphasis instead being on how homicidal she is. It should be a pre-meditated murder that she passes off as a crime of passion or temporary insanity, when she is actually quite sane and calculating.

Also the story today could explore the idea that a privileged person (money as well as social standing) can get away with something because she is supposedly of good stock, or comes from good breeding...but under the surface, she is a hardened criminal just as dangerous as those that are not able to afford expensive attorneys and cannot manipulate the legal system.

The husband can even dismiss her affair, maybe he has had affairs of his own...but what he has to live with is that he's a pawn in her scheme to get away with killing another man...he is stuck with knowing he's part of his wife's sick game. It disgusts him but he lacks the backbone to set things right.

THE CHILDREN'S HOUR could also be set in a modern era, if it took place in a conservative region, like the bible belt. 

• Like 1

Even though I am not a fan of remakes in general (with a few exceptions here and there), I admit I like the suggestions retelling the storyline of THE LETTER (though I don't envy the actress having to step into Bette Davis' shoes). 

Even though the story was indeed restricted by the Production Code of that time, I say 1961's THE CHILDREN HOUR still did quite a good job of tackling such a daring subject without being overly explicit. I could have strangled that inconsiderate, selfish aunt (Miriam Hopkins) though. Poor Shirley.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Even though I am not a fan of remakes in general (with a few exceptions here and there), I admit I like the suggestions retelling the storyline of THE LETTER (though I don't envy the actress having to step into Bette Davis' shoes). 

Even though the story was indeed restricted by the Production Code of that time, I say 1961's THE CHILDREN HOUR still did quite a good job of tackling such a daring subject without being overly explicit. I could have strangled that inconsiderate, selfish aunt (Miriam Hopkins) though. Poor Shirley.

Meryl Streep would be too old for a remake of THE LETTER. But Nicole Kidman could maybe pull it off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Nice selection of films. Another gem that has gone under noticed over the years.

DIVORCE (1945) is one of three films she made at Monogram as star and producer, at the end of her movie career. For a "poverty row" film, it has decent production values and resembles some of her stuff at Warner Brothers ten years earlier.

The second Monogram film she made, ALLOTMENT WIVES (1945), is airing on TCM the morning of the 25th. She has a rare villain role in that one!

50 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Even though I'm not the biggest Meryl fan, I will concede she did do a fine job in here. As does Sam Neill.

I'm not exactly impressed by her either. I think she uses too many little false mannerisms, and too many put-upon accents. She is not very natural on screen, but yet she gets all these awards and takes the big parts away from other actresses in her age group (like Sigourney Weaver and Glenn Close).

If someone forced me to watch one of her films, I guess A CRY IN THE DARK is one of the better ones. 

• Like 1

shrew2.jpg plex-1-282404.png

Taming of the Shrew (1967, Franco Zeffirelli)

Shakespeare's romp about a brutish, fortune-hunting scoundrel, Petruchio, who attempts to court and marry the ill-tempered and spoiled daughter of a wealthy Padua merchant, Katherine. Richard Burton has a ball chasing and teasing a mostly exhausted Elizabeth Taylor through a series of handsome period sets flanked by a splendidly costumed cast. Fun supporting performances, too. Nice intro to The Bard for kids. Free on Plex (w/subtitles option).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday January 27, 2022

85699C3F-0B53-46F7-9DCE-29A4BACD25EF_4_5005_c

Rowboat on TCM

a place in the sun

more rowboat...

noth1.jpg tcc.png

night of the hunter (1955, charles  laughton) expires January 31st

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Free on PLEX but leaving soon is another Friedkin film, Killer Joe, in an R rated version. "To get an R rating, I would have had to destroy it in order to save it and I wasn't interested in doing that." — William Friedkin on why he refused to censor Killer Joe.                                        Although this version appears to be missing a bit of the more lurid parts, it still rates very high on my W.T.F. List.

Killer_Joe_(film).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday January 28, 2022

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 7.16.40 AM

Gangsters on TCM

al capone

dillinger

more gangsters

rtp1.png  clssyt.jpg

Road To Perdition (2002, Sam Mendes)

A mob enforcer's son in 1930s Illinois witnesses a murder, forcing him and his father to take to the road, and his father down a path of redemption and revenge. Free on YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ando said:

more gangsters

rtp1.png  clssyt.jpg

Road To Perdition (2002, Sam Mendes)

A mob enforcer's son in 1930s Illinois witnesses a murder, forcing him and his father to take to the road, and his father down a path of redemption and revenge. Free on YouTube.

Love this movie. One of Tom's most underrated films and Paul Newman is great as well.

It was cool seeing Daniel Craig playing such a cowardly weasel in sharp contrast to the cool-as-a-cucumber, always-on-his-toes James Bond.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday January 29, 2022

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 1.03.41 PM

Aviary on TCM

birdman of alcatraz

Even knowing that the real Robert Stroud was nothing like the way he was portrayed in this movie, Burt Lancaster still turns in a great performance in this. 

Karl Malden as Warden Shoemaker is also excellent as Stroud's foil. In the little screentime she has, Thelma Ritter is equally fine as Stroud's mother.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Even knowing that the real Robert Stroud was nothing like the way he was portrayed in this movie, Burt Lancaster still turns in a great performance in this. 

Karl Malden as Warden Shoemaker is also excellent as Stroud's foil. In the little screentime she has, Thelma Ritter is equally fine as Stroud's mother.

Yes, they're all good. The performance that stays with me, for some reason, is Betty Field's as the wife. Like what kind of woman would want to get married to that sort of guy? When she is onscreen visiting him at the prison I want to know more about her. 

• Like 1

thief1.jpg    app_icon_200x200.png

Thief (1981, Michael Mann)

An ace safe cracker wants to do one last big heist for the mob before going straight. Great free streamer on tubi (no ads w/adblocker). Interesting Mann interview on the film's making below.

• Like 2