Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

Well, i'm officially without TCM at this point.  We had to cut our cable bill in the US as we don't primarily live here and there was no reasonable package available that offered it.  Trying to find a way to get it as an add-on through another app/streaming service such as Hulu but not having any luck.  I haven't seen Noir Alley in two weeks and feel like i'm  behind the times on here.

I guess I have Criterion channel and the TCM Hub through HBO Max, but not the same.

🙁☹️🥺

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 2/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, TopBilled said:

Monday February 7, 2022

3D2E7F46-EB7C-4A17-8D9A-0C9E634AAFE9_1_201_a

Single on TCM

the divorcee

The DIVORCEE (1930) was "shocking" only in its surprising sophistication: It addresses sexual jealousy and double-standard morality without relying too much on pre-Code tropes such as upper East Coast worship. (Does Dave Karger ever actually watch the films he's assigned to host? )

That's not to type above-title billing Norma Shearer doesn't strut Gloria Swanson swag at times, but her depth-of-character portrayal, combined with occasional PHOTOPLAY poses, argue both her lone Academy Award was well-deserved and her role as Jerry Martin is quintessential Hollywood actress.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NoShear said:

The DIVORCEE (1930) was "shocking" only in its surprising sophistication: It addresses sexual jealousy and double-standard morality without relying too much on pre-Code tropes such as upper East Coast worship. (Does Dave Karger ever actually watch the films he's assigned to host? )

That's not to type above-title billing Norma Shearer doesn't strut Gloria Swanson swag at times, but her depth-of-character portrayal, combined with occasional PHOTOPLAY poses, argue both her lone Academy Award was well-deserved and her role as Jerry Martin is quintessential Hollywood actress.

Totally agree. There are three Norma Shearer performances I really admire (more than the over-hyped stuff we see in THE WOMEN) and they are in: THE DIVORCEE, THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET and ESCAPE. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Totally agree. There are three Norma Shearer performances I really admire (more than the over-hyped stuff we see in THE WOMEN) and they are in: THE DIVORCEE, THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET and ESCAPE. 

My favorite Shearer performance is "The Barretts of Wimpole Street." It doesn't hurt that most of the rest of the case is excellent (Charles Laughton is his usual outstanding self and Flush is a scene stealer) and it's a darn good movie. 

6 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Well, i'm officially without TCM at this point.  We had to cut our cable bill in the US as we don't primarily live here and there was no reasonable package available that offered it.  Trying to find a way to get it as an add-on through another app/streaming service such as Hulu but not having any luck.

Shank Asu,

I don't know how much your cable bill was. But, you can watch TCM on Sling TV; streaming services start at $35.00 per month. TCM is a $6.00 Hollywood Extra "add on" channel on Sling TV.  That is the way that I watch TCM. I use a Roku streaming device. But, there are other streaming device options . . . and other streaming services (e.g., the more costly Hulu+Live TV).

Watch TCM Online: Best Ways to Indulge in Turner Classic Movies without Cable

https://hotdog.com/tv/channels/tcm/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eod1.jpg  pv1.png

Edge of Doom (1950, Mark Robson)

Poor Farley Granger sure got roughed up in his hey day. The dude was a tough guy's punching bag for much of his early time on the screen. I'm not sure if it was an intentional strategy by Granger or if directors thought he was just a little too pretty. But he does more of the mosochistic schtick in this rather preachy redemption story about a troubled youth who becomes completely unraveled after his mother dies. I like the dark atmosphere and tone of the L.A. tenanment drama - Harry Stradling's camerawork really makes the film stand out. Too bad almost everything else is rather stiff and pedestrian. It's still worth a viewing and has something of a twist near the end for those who stick it out. On Prime Video. Granger talked about his career with TCM back in '95 below:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ando said:

eod1.jpg  pv1.png

Edge of Doom (1950, Mark Robson)

Poor Farley Granger sure got roughed up in his hey day. The dude was a tough guy's punching bag for much of his early time on the screen. I'm not sure if it was an intentional strategy by Granger or if directors thought he was just a little too pretty. But he does more of the mosochistic schtick in this rather preachy redemption story about a troubled youth who go becomes completely unraveled after his mother dies. I like the dark atmosphere and tone of the L.A. tenanment drama- Harry Stradling's camerawork really makes the film work. Too bad almost everything else is rather stiff and pedestrian. It's still worth a viewing and has something of a twist near the end for those who stick it out. On Prime Video. Granger talked about his career with TCM back in '95 below:

more Granger

senso.jpg tcc.png

Senso (1954,  Luchino Visconti)

An Italian Countess, allied with Nationalists during the Italian-Austrian war of unification, risks betraying their cause when she falls in love with an Austrian lieutenant. I've put off watching this for years but as Granger mentioned that this and Hitchcock's Strangers On A Train were two of the films of which he was proudest I'm taking a look tonight. On The Criterion Channel.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ando said:

more Granger

senso.jpg tcc.png

Senso (1954,  Luchino Visconti)

An Italian Countess, allied with Nationalists during the Italian-Austrian war of unification, risks betraying their cause when she falls in love with an Austrian lieutenant. I've put off watching this for years but as Granger mentioned that this and Hitchcock's Strangers On A Train were two of the films of which he was proudest I'm taking a look tonight. On The Criterion Channel.

SENSO is the Italian language version (Granger spoke his lines in English and was dubbed into Italian). 

There is an English language version (Alida Valli speaks her lines in English with Granger) called THE WANTON COUNTESS which has some slightly different dialogue, written by Tennessee Williams. This one is also on the Criterion Channel and I watched it a few weeks ago...very good.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Shank Asu,

I don't know how much your cable bill was. But, you can watch TCM on Sling TV; streaming services start at $35.00 per month. TCM is a $6.00 Hollywood Extra "add on" channel on Sling TV.  That is the way that I watch TCM. I use a Roku streaming device. But, there are other streaming device options . . . and other streaming services (e.g., the more costly Hulu+Live TV).

Watch TCM Online: Best Ways to Indulge in Turner Classic Movies without Cable

https://hotdog.com/tv/channels/tcm/

Thank you for sending that info! Appreciate it. I'll definitely look into it. cheers.

inalonelyplace3.jpg  plex-1-282404.png

In A Lonely Place (1950, Nicholas Ray)

An attractive neighbor starts to have her doubts about a potentially violent screenwriter who she helped clear of murder suspicion. First time watch for me. Haven't seen many films where Bogie plays the heavy. Free on Plex. Nice Nick Ray doc:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ando said:

inalonelyplace3.jpg  plex-1-282404.png

In A Lonely Place (1950, Nicholas Ray)

An attractive neighbor starts to have her doubts about a potentially violent screenwriter who she helped clear of murder suspicion. First time watch for me. Haven't seen many films where Bogie plays the heavy. Free on Plex. Nice Nick Ray doc:

This is a movie I didn't like and really "get" the first time I saw it a few decades ago, but it has since become a favorite of mine. So many good performances in it with Grahame more than holding her own with Bogie.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mkahn22 said:

This is a movie I didn't like and really "get" the first time I saw it a few decades ago, but it has since become a favorite of mine. So many good performances in it with Grahame more than holding her own with Bogie.

Indeed, Grahame really kept me interested in the story. And I like that Ray, as he revealed in the clip above, chose to go with the mature rather than typical Hollywood melodramatic ending. That was actaully his first apartment in Hollywood, apparently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Friday February 11, 2022

074CD685-BDEC-4246-99B9-27644129B547_4_5005_c

Dahl on TCM

the black book

scene of the crime

ambush

the outriders

three little words

inside straight

watch the birdie

she played with fire

Thanks. Watching Wicked As They Come (1956, Ken Hughes) now. Be nice to see this one in the lineup next time round.

• Like 1

larry1.jpg  tcc.png

Starring Laurence Olivier 8 Films

The Divorce of Lady X (1938) Q Planes (1939) That Hamilton Woman (1941) 49th Parallel (1941) Henry V (1944) Hamlet (1948) Richard III (1955) The Entertainer (1960) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ando said:

larry1.jpg  tcc.png

Starring Laurence Olivier 8 Films

The Divorce of Lady X (1938) Q Planes (1939) That Hamilton Woman (1941) 49th Parallel (1941) Henry V (1944) Hamlet (1948) Richard III (1955) The Entertainer (1960) 

more Larry

brideshead_revisited_uk.jpg  bb1.jpg

Brideshead Revisited (1981)

Olivier got an Emmy for his performance as Lord Marchmain in this first British tv mini-series adaption of Evelyn Waugh's novel. The remastered print streaming on britbox looks great. 

wuthering-heights.png  pv1.png

Wuthering Heights (1939, William Wyler)

Classic Emily Bronte adaption. Rewatching this one mostly for the cinematography. Got an Oscar for it in one of the best years for film. On Prime Video.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday February 12, 2022

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 11.12.00 PM.jpeg

Adventure on TCM

treasure island

more adventure

kontiki1.jpg app_icon_200x200.png

Kon-Tiki (1950, Thor Heyerdahl)

To test his theory that the Inca of South America migrated and settled in the islands of the South Pacific on balsa rafts Thor Heyerdahl builds and launches a prototype off the coast of Peru to see if wind and current would, in fact, waft them ashore on some Pacific island. The book is better but the movie has enough actual footage of the adventure to make it a fascinating story. Free on tubi.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Sunday February 13, 2022

128F7F5B-C593-476A-882A-90D7E465FDB5_1_201_a

Sleuthing on TCM

the ex-mrs. bradford

more sleuthing

clue1.jpg clssyt.jpg

Clue: The Movie (1985, Jonathan Lynn)

Six guests are anonymously invited to a strange mansion for dinner, but after their host is killed, they must cooperate with the staff to identify the murderer as the bodies pile up. Fun send up of sleuthing/murder mystery capers. Free on YouTube.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ando said:

more sleuthing

clue1.jpg clssyt.jpg

Clue: The Movie (1985, Jonathan Lynn)

Six guests are anonymously invited to a strange mansion for dinner, but after their host is killed, they must cooperate with the staff to identify the murderer as the bodies pile up. Fun send up of sleuthing/murder mystery capers. Free on YouTube.

Oh yes, that's a fun film...haven't seen it in ages.

• Like 1