Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Sounds like a topic for another thread. It is not a thread I would participate in, since my focus is on classic movies and programming. 

I don't think anyone has said they were proud they had others on ignore. In a way, it signifies a failure in communication, though with some cases it is absolutely necessary in order to deflect arguments. The designers of the website included the Ignore preferences for a reason, and I am glad they did.

Moving on...

Sorry,  but I was cracking wise with my 'lets track ignore stats'.    But I do have a serious question related to the ignore function (since I don't use it,  I don't know how it works).

Say SAM has JOE on 'ignore'.   Suzy who is NOT on ignore by SAM.   Suzy uses the quote feature for a post by JOE.   Will SAM see what JOE posted as a 'quote' in Suzy's post?    I assume the answer is YES.

Since a lot of people are using the quote feature (since there isn't a reply feature anymore),   If my assumption is correct,  the SAMs using the ignore feature will still see a lot of content they don't wish to see from the JOEs on this forum.

Sorry,  but I was cracking wise with my 'lets track ignore stats'.    But I do have a serious question related to the ignore function (since I don't use it,  I don't know how it works).

Say SAM has JOE on 'ignore'.   Suzy who is NOT on ignore by SAM.   Suzy uses the quote feature for a post by JOE.   Will SAM see what JOE posted as a 'quote' in Suzy's post?    I assume the answer is YES.

Since a lot of people are using the quote feature (since there isn't a reply feature anymore),   If my assumption is correct,  the SAMs using the ignore feature will still see a lot of content they don't wish to see from the JOEs on this forum.

You are probably correct. What's also correct is that "ignore" is not an equivalence relation among posters, because:

1.  A poster cannot ignore himself/herself, thus reflexivity is not satisfied

2.  If poster A ignores poster B, there is no guarantee that poster B will ignore poster A (although it may come to that). Thus, symmetry is not satisfied.

3.  If poster A ignores poster B and poster B ignores poster C, then poster A does not necessarily ignore poster C. Thus, transitivity is not satisfied.

• Like 1

Again, I think this is something for a separate thread. It is easy to get around the quote feature. What I have noticed is that we have cohorts of behavior on the boards. So if I have Person X on Ignore, and I know that Person Y will be quoting Person X quite a bit, then I put Person Y on ignore, too. It easily solves the problem. 

LOL...(edited out)

Talk about not playing nice.

Which I should be doing.....

Edited by TCMModerator1
Matching the edited comment

hey all not sure if this has been mentioned but svengoolie is about to crank up "the creature from the black lagoon" complete with the controversial julie adams swimming scene over on MeTV

hey all not sure if this has been mentioned but svengoolie is about to crank up "the creature from the black lagoon" complete with the controversial julie adams swimming scene over on MeTV

What so controversial about that swimming scene with Julie Adams?   All I know is she had some of the best legs in the movies.

MOVIES is showing Gilda and House of Strangers tonight.  Two fine noirs.    I watch them and practice on my guitar during the commercials.     Hey,  I should be able to learn at least 6 jazz standards during all those commercials! 

What so controversial about that swimming scene with Julie Adams?   All I know is she had some of the best legs in the movies.

i was riffing on an old letterman joke. but im sure there are those who would call that sequence sexist and exploitative today. glad i dont know them.

Well, fainted women being carried by monsters was quite a much-used staple in b-movies back in those days. They were always helpless but their beauty made them worth keeping - even for monsters.

I suppose that is pretty sexist. But those were extremely sexist days back then.

MeTV sounds like a great channel. It is not in this area though. It sounds like a great place for TV shows, but for movies, I will stick to TCM. (And as for Julie Adams, if she can survive The Creature from the Black Lagoon and years of playing a character in Cabot Cove she can survive anything.)

To reiterarte, MeTV is for old TV shows, 50's through 80's mostly.  Almost no movies.

But, it is a great channel if you like old tv shows.  One great feature is that they show full credits, full screen size.

To reiterarte, MeTV is for old TV shows, 50's through 80's mostly.  Almost no movies.

But, it is a great channel if you like old tv shows.  One great feature is that they show full credits, full screen size.

Next saturday Me-TV is gonna be good for Revenge of the Creature. :D

...not shown on tcm since the devonian period. :lol:

Can't believe this is more popular than Fred's thread on youtube. I guess it says something when the two most viewed threads on the General Discussions board concerns classic films found in non-TCM locations.

And I can't believe this thread will hit 15,000 views soon. This thread is important, but not that important. LOL

How so?

It is raising consciousness/awareness about alternative programming and how TCM is changing, because the playing field is not the way it was 20 years ago.

In the beginning TCM could borrow heavily ideas like Star of the Month from the old AMC, and it would serve as a jumping off point for home video sales like the old AMC did (where viewers would buy VHS copies of classic films they saw on AMC)...but now TCM has had to branch out and embrace other platforms like On-Demand in order to stay relevant. I see more changes coming, and I see ME-TV and other cable channels cutting in a bit more.

When Osborne passes away, TCM may really change (speculating)-- and by the way, that is a concept for another thread that I do not wish to start prematurely.

Thanks for writing in to 'Dear TopBilled.' Hope you are enjoying your weekend. LOL

ME-TV doesn't seem anything like TCM, so not sure what the threat is. I think You tube is far more of a threat than ME-TV or any other channel actually.

I would agree with that...but...youtube is only a threat when it comes to public domain films-- anything on there illegally is bound to be taken down.

ME-TV is a concern when it comes to cornering the market on Universal horror films that TCM does not seem able or willing to procure for audiences that love these kinds of films. 

ME-TV is a concern when it comes to cornering the market on Universal horror films that TCM does not seem able or willing to procure for audiences that love these kinds of films. 

Exactly and thereby hangs the problem for tcm. It is arrogant to just write off the longsuffering couch potato slash space cadet crowd like myself.  :)