Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

18 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

I have since had a plan to watch the Noir Alley films through renting on Amazon Prime and am surprised that the films that I've missed from the past month and upcoming to the schedule after the month off in March, are actually not even available on Prime.  I'm shocked.

I was able to find all the four offerings for February on youtube. At least through a search, they all yielded a link to a video; sometimes multiples.

I didn't investigate further, but hope that gives a useful substitute.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:45 AM, TopBilled said:

Excellent additions!

To date, I have watched An American Tragedy and Ladies' Man, both released in 1931. I watched them "cold" -- without researching them beforehand.

I found An American Tragedy inferior to A Place in the Sun, the 1951 adaptation of Theodore Dreiser's novel. Star Phillips Holmes was no Montgomery Clift and Frances Dee was no Elizabeth Taylor. However, Sylvia Sidney's performance, to me, was more touching and endearing than was that of Shelley Winters. The second half of the story involves the trial of the protagonist (Holmes). Despite the histrionics of Irving Pichel and Charles Middleton (as, respectively, The Prosecutor and a Defense Attorney), director Josef von Sternberg did not make the courtroom drama very compelling. I thought that it pales in comparison to the courtroom scenes in Inherit the Wind.

For some odd reason, the print shown on The Criterion Channel begins with the Universal Pictures logo, followed by the Paramount Pictures logo.

VgTdduUprtP6Qz1%2BmuNd5zytVOg1aff7E9gYGo

As for Ladies' Man, I presumed that it was going to be a lightweight screwball comedy. William Powell as the titular gigolo and Carole Lombard as a dizzy dame in his harem -- highballs, high jinks, and high-larity ahead, right?  Au contraire! This ain't no My Man Godfrey! Indeed, it too is an American tragedy. So potent and addictive is the charisma of Powell's stud that the women who succumb to his charms must either have him or, denied his fidelity, . . . kill him! Among the conquests of Powell's suave, debonair playboy: Kay Francis and Olive Tell (as a covetous adultress who is also the mother of Lombard's similarly possessive and murderous playgirl!).

ladies-man-poster-2.jpg&ehk=vbpbLuFiYt76

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Without TCM i've been absent from the forums for a while, not feeling like i could contribute anymore to popular threads like Noir Alley.  I have since had a plan to watch the Noir Alley films through renting on Amazon Prime and am surprised that the films that I've missed from the past month and upcoming to the schedule after the month off in March, are actually not even available on Prime.  I'm shocked.  I thought most everything was available to rent on Prime.

I think those days are gone.  Ever since Amazon and Netflix got into the production end of the business, they're more interested in promoting their own content.  We seem to be heading back to the days when the production studios controlled the entire pipeline from production to distribution, just like it was before the 1947 Paramount case.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, wbogacz said:

I was able to find all the four offerings for February on youtube. At least through a search, they all yielded a link to a video; sometimes multiples.

I didn't investigate further, but hope that gives a useful substitute.

Oh thanks for the info.  I will definitely try that.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:14 PM, TopBilled said:

Monday March 7, 2022

13A0CF8D-98FE-4B47-A5C9-49ED0F8C3CFB_4_5005_c

Aviation on TCM

wings

Last night's screening of WINGS (1927) yielded discovery of Gary Cooper's small role which made for a big career takeoff, grand glorification of the Gotha - the proto-B line of flying fortresses - and the thought that it took nearly a half century in the evolution of the following film's own early "birds" scene:

AdmirableDimAlaskanhusky-size_restricted.gif

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday March 10, 2022

Cars on TCM

grand prix

If the distant tracking shots' sound heard in Grand Prix (1966), which took both the audio Awards for that year, seems similar to the distant whine of a motorcycle eminating from the freeway, consider the engines and gear boxes of mid-Sixties F-1 cars were very similar to motorcycles to my knowledge.

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 11:09 AM, TopBilled said:

Thursday March 17, 2022

Parade on TCM

the music man

more parade 

(back from a haitus!)

jti1.jpg tcc.png

Journey to Italy (1954, Roberto Rossellini)

An unhappily married couple attempts to find direction and insight while vacationing in Naples. The parade/procession occurs during the final climax of the movie. A favorite.  On The Criterion Channel. Here's an interesting discussion of the film (dubbed Voyage to Italy) with local classic movie historian, Jerry Carlson (CUNY).

• Like 2

13a0cf8d-98fe-4b47-a5c9-49ed0f8c3cfb_4_5

more Oscar

mc1.jpg app_icon_200x200.png

Midnight Cowboy (1969, John Schlesinger)

A naive hustler travels from Texas to New York City to seek personal fortune, finding a new friend in the process. With 3 Oscars for Best Picture, Director & Screenplay and featuring great performances this film provides a great snapshot of NYC in '69 in all its glory and sordidness. Free on tubi. Cool doc -

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday March 18, 2022

Adaptations on TCM

california suite

the goodbye girl

the sunshine boys

more Oscar adaptations

pj1.jpg  plex-1-282404.png

Pal Joey (1957, George Sidney)

Joey Evans, a charming, lounge singing heel, forms a partnership with former chiseling chorus girl, now rich widow, Vera Simpson. It boasts 4 oscar nods for Art Direction, Costume Design, Sound & Editing (questionable), great standards from Rogers & Hart and the golden voice of Frank Sinatra. Kim Novak was in her beautiful prime (she'd be back in Frisco with Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart a year later) and Rita Hayworth apparently had nothing better to do. Overall, a fairly light affair.  Free (and in good form) on Plex.

• Like 2