13A0CF8D-98FE-4B47-A5C9-49ED0F8C3CFB_4_5005_c

Biopics on TCM

the story of louis pasteur

sergeant york

gandhi

more Oscar biopics

lenny.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

Lenny (1974, Bob Fosse)

The story of acerbic 1960s comic Lenny Bruce, whose groundbreaking, no-holds-barred style and social commentary was often deemed by the Establishment as too obscene for the public. 6 Oscar nods, including Best Screenplay. Free on tubi.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Monday March 21, 2022

Boys on TCM

goodbye mr. chips

boys town

more Oscar Boys

hoo1.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png yt1.png

Hoosiers (1986, David Anspaugh) 

A coach with a checkered past and a local drunk train a small town high school basketball team to become a top contender for the championship. Oscar nods for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Dennis Hopper) and Best Score (Jerry Goldsmith). Free on Tubi & YouTube.

hd1.jpg  tcc.png plex-1-282404.png

Hoop Dreams (1994, Steve James)

Two inner-city Chicago boys struggle to become college basketball players on the road to going professional. Oscar nod for Best Film Editing. On The Criterion Channel & free in HD on Plex.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Wednesday March 23, 2022

Seance on TCM

blithe spirit

more Oscar Seances

GHOST-onesheet.jpg bbc-america-logo.jpg

Ghost (1990, Jerry Zucker)

After a young man is murdered, his spirit stays behind to warn his lover of impending danger, with the help of a reluctant psychic. Haven't seen this one since I saw it in the cinema. It was a big deal as I recall. Whoopi took home the Best Supporting Female Oscar. The movie also received 3 nods for Best Film, Editing and Music. Couldn't find a legit streamer but BBC America is airing it Saturday Night (March 26) at 10:30 (EST). Nice doc:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday March 25, 2022

Sisters on TCM

what ever happened to baby jane?

more Oscar sisters

c-w.jpg  tcc.png wtcm2.png

Cries & Whispers (1972, Ingmar Bergman)

When a woman dying of cancer in early twentieth-century Sweden is visited by her two sisters, long-repressed feelings between the siblings rise to the surface. 

I've seen this once at a Bergman retrospective and never forgot it. Woody Allen and others have made what are, more or less, their own versions of this particular family dynamic. Next to Fanny & Alexander and Persona it's one of Bergman's more deliberately artful approaches to cinematic storytelling. You definitely have to prepare for this slow burner before sitting down to receive it. Sven Nykvist went home with the Best Cinematography Oscar. Currently streaming on The Criterion Channel and WatchTCM (through April 3rd).

• Like 2

more Oscar

I'll be mentioning a few of my favorite Oscar nominated films currently streaming on the web over the next few days leading up to Oscar Sunday. This one shows up a lot on TCM but it really is superlative. Watched it again last night when I couldn't rest my eyes. 

12.jpg  yt1.png

12 Angry Men (1958, Sidney Lumet)

The jury in a New York City murder trial is frustrated by a single member whose skeptical caution forces them to more carefully consider the evidence before jumping to a hasty verdict. The most amazing aspect of the film, aside from the writing, is the canny way Lumet and cinematographer, Boris Kaufman, instill dynamism in what would seem in lesser deft hands mostly a stuffy jury room. With Oscar nods for Best Picture, Direction and Writing it seems a serious oversight that Kaufman was left out. See it again while YouTube has it up for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

more Oscar

bman.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

Birdman (2014, Alejandro G. Iñárritu)

A washed-up superhero actor attempts to revive his fading career by writing, directing, and starring in a Broadway production. I suppose the time factor for a legitimate classic is at least 20 years but this one, the receipient of 4 Oscars (Best Picture, Actor, Writing & Cinematography), is bound for classic status. Free on tubi.

boa1.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

Birdman of Alcatraz (1962, John Frankenheimer)

A surly convicted murderer held in permanent isolation redeems himself when he becomes a renowned bird expert. 4 Oscar nods for Burt Lancaster, Telly Savalas, Thelma Ritter and Burnett Guffey's camerawork. Free on tubi.

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday March 26, 2022

Homecoming on TCM

the best years of our lives

more Oscar Homecomings

tsw-r.jpg  wtcm2.png

The Subject Was Roses (1968, Ulu Grosbard)

A young man returning home from World War II finds himself caught up in his parents' turbulent relationship. One of my favorite play adaptations featuring the Oscar nominated Patricia Neal, Oscar winner Jack Albertson and a young Martin Sheen, who with Albertson transferred his performance from the Broadway hit. On WatchTCM through April 11th.

tbc1.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

The Big Chill (1982, Lawrence Kasdan)

A group of seven former college friends gather for a weekend reunion at a South Carolina vacation home after the funeral of another of their college friends. 3 Oscar nods for Best Picture, Best Actress (Glenn Close) and Best Screenplay (Lawrence Kasdan & Barbara Benedek). R.I.P. William Hurt. Free on tubi.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ando said:

more Oscar

bman.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

Birdman (2014, Alejandro G. Iñárritu)

A washed-up superhero actor attempts to revive his fading career by writing, directing, and starring in a Broadway production. I suppose the time factor for a legitimate classic is at least 20 years but this one, the receipient of 4 Oscars (Best Picture, Actor, Writing & Cinematography), is bound for classic status. Free on tubi.

boa1.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

Birdman of Alcatraz (1962, John Frankenheimer)

A surly convicted murderer held in permanent isolation redeems himself when he becomes a renowned bird expert. 4 Oscar nods for Burt Lancaster, Telly Savalas, Thelma Ritter and Burnett Guffey's camerawork. Free on tubi.

more Homecomings

tsw-r.jpg  wtcm2.png

The Subject Was Roses (1968, Ulu Grosbard)

A young man returning home from World War II finds himself caught up in his parents' turbulent relationship. One of my favorite play adaptations featuring the Oscar nominated Patricia Neal, the Oscar winner Jack Albertson and a young Martin Sheen, who with Albertson transferred his performance from the Broadway hit. On WatchTCM through April 11th.

tbc1.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

The Big Chill (1982, Lawrence Kasdan)

A group of seven former college friends gather for a weekend reunion at a South Carolina vacation home after the funeral of another of their college friends. 3 Oscar nods for Best Picture, Best Actress (Glenn Close) and Best Screenplay (Lawrence Kasdan & Barbara Benedek). R.I.P. William Hurt. Free on tubi.

Thanks ando. Great selections!

• Like 1

more Oscar Birds (couldn't resist)

birds.jpg   peacocktv.com..png

The Birds (1963, Alfred Hitchcock)

A wealthy San Francisco socialite pursues a potential boyfriend to a small Northern California town that slowly takes a turn for the bizarre when birds of all kinds suddenly begin to attack people. One day someone'll make an opera out of it. (If you can do it for Exterminating Angel you do it for this one!) My favorite Hitch. The Oscar, of course, went to Ub Iwerks for Best Special Effects. Free on peacocktv.com.

• Like 2

animated Oscar

patw1.jpg  plex-1-282404.png

Peter & The Wolf (2006, Suzie Templeton)

An animated retelling of the classic tale set to Sergei Prokofiev's suite. Oscar winner for best animated short feature (32mins). Free on PLEX.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sunday March 27, 2022

Reservations on TCM

grand hotel

more Reservations

atlanticity1.jpg     plutotv.png

Atlantic City (1980, Louis Malle)

In a crumbling gambling resort town on the east coast a small-time gangster and the estranged wife of a pot dealer find themselves thrown together in an escapade of love, money, drugs and danger. Everything you don't see when you book a room in AC. 😁 Oscar nods for Best Picture, Director (Malle) , Actress (Susan Sarandon), Actor (Burt Lancaster) and Screenplay (John Guare). Free on Plutotv. Writer, Guare, who has a thing for drama in resort towns (Moon Over Miami) talks about the film's genesis:

and an odd exceprt featuring Malle interviewed by a Wallace Shawn: 

• Like 2

more Oscar

tc1.jpg  plutotv.png

The Conversation (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)

A paranoid, secretive surveillance expert has a crisis of conscience when he suspects that the couple he is spying on will be murdered. Though it got 3 Oscar nods (Best Picture, Director & Sound) Gene Hackman was not honored, but his performance is the centerpiece of this Coppola film which came in between the two big Godfather blockbusters. It's one of my favorites from the 70s and a great examle of what you can do with a small cast and a little money. Free on Pllutotv. Fun promo film:

• Like 3

more Oscar

dh1.jpg  plex-1-282404.png

Deconstructing Harry (1997, Woody Allen)

Suffering from writer's block and eagerly awaiting his writing award, Harry Block remembers events from his past and scenes from his best-selling books as characters, real and fictional, come back to haunt him. New to me though I was warned it was one of Allen's crudest. He, nonetheless, got a Oscar nod for Best Screenplay. Great cast. Free on PLEX.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 7:53 AM, ando said:

more Oscar

tc1.jpg  plutotv.png

The Conversation (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)

A paranoid, secretive surveillance expert has a crisis of conscience when he suspects that the couple he is spying on will be murdered. Though it got 3 Oscar nods (Best Picture, Director & Sound) Gene Hackman was not honored, but his performance is the centerpiece of this Coppola film which came in between the two big Godfather blockbusters. It's one of my favorites from the 70s and a great examle of what you can do with a small cast and a little money. Free on Pllutotv. Fun promo film:

THE CONVERSATION, in my view, was Hackman's best performance, not just in the 70's but the best one of his career. 

I would have kicked off Albert Finney of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS and have nominated Hackman instead. Not that Finney wasn't good, but I think Hackman's performance was more nuanced and far more Oscar worthy.

• Like 2