Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

39 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I didn't realize THE LADY GAMBLES was a premiere.    This wasn't mentioned by Mankiewicz, who was more interested in promoting CALIFORNIA SPLIT.

Considering how many times Stanwyck has had Star of the Month and Summer Under the Stars tributes...plus birthday tributes...it's about time they finally showed THE LADY GAMBLES.

I think they should rebroadcast it as part of a double feature one evening with an earlier film of hers that has a similar title, GAMBLING LADY (1934).

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 9:41 AM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Re: "I didn't realize THE LADY GAMBLES was a premiere.    This wasn't mentioned by Mankiewicz, who was more interested in promoting CALIFORNIA SPLIT."

I could swear I heard Ben Mankiewicz erroneously mention The Gambler (1974) and James Caan to follow instead of The Lady Gambles.

• Like 1

TIARA TAHITI (1962, Brit comedy-drama, James Mason and John Mills as rival WWII veterans); THE INCREDIBLE 2-HEADED TRANSPLANT (1971, Bruce Dern as a mad scientist); THE GNOME-MOBILE (1967. Disney; Walter Brennan in dual role as millionaire businessman and a crochety gnome, also starring the kids from MARY POPPINS); SOPHIE'S CHOICE (Meryl Streep's unforgettable Oscar-winning performance); STREET OF SINNERS (1957, "rookie" cop George Montgomery, looking about 50 years old, has to deal with New York City juvenile delinquents, a female lush who loves taking her clothes off, and seedy lord-of-the-neighborhood Nehemiah Persoff.  There is one particular scene with George and a 250 pound teen called Tiny that will leave you speechless...I will say no more); VICE RAID (1959, Mamie Van Doren strutting her stuff); THE FEARMAKERS (1958, another intriguing Jacques Tourneur-directed film with Dana Andrews, right after CURSE OF THE DEMON); COMMUNION (1989, Christopher Walken as Whitley Strieber and his infamous alien visitors).

5 minutes ago, NoShear said:

I could swear I heard Ben Mankiewicz erroneously mention The Gambler (1974) and James Caan to follow instead of The Lady Gambles.

Interesting.   That I didn't catch.   Ben did introduce THE LADY GAMBLES but not before giving a plug for CALIFORNIA SPLIT first, because the latter was to start at 2 p.m. and they stop hosting, so I guess he wanted to give a personal nod to it as one of his favorites.  Not exactly "kosher" in terms of the line-up, but, it is what it is.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Re: "Interesting.   That I didn't catch.   Ben did introduce THE LADY GAMBLES but not before giving a plug for CALIFORNIA SPLIT first, because the latter was to start at 2 p.m. and they stop hosting, so I guess he wanted to give a personal nod to it as one of his favorites.  Not exactly "kosher" in terms of the line-up, but, it is what it is....."

I may have misheard, Bronxgirl48, but I think the err occurred during the outro of the movie which preceded THE LADY GAMBLES which I almost missed as a result.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Tiara Tahiti (1962, Brit comedy-drama, James Mason and John Mills as rival WWII veterans); THE INCREDIBLE 2-HEADED TRANSPLANT (1971, Bruce Dern as a mad scientist); THE GNOME-MOBILE (1967. Disney; Walter Brennan in dual role as millionaire businessman and a crochety gnome, also starring the kids from MARY POPPINS); SOPHIE'S CHOICE (Meryl Streep's unforgettable Oscar-winning performance); STREET OF SINNERS (1957, "rookie" cop George Montgomery, looking about 50 years old, has to deal with New York City juvenile delinquents, a female lush who loves taking her clothes off, and seedy lord-of-the-neighborhood Nehemiah Persoff.  There is one particular scene with George and a 250 pound teen called Tiny that will leave you speechless...I will say no more); VICE RAID (1959, Mamie Van Doren strutting her stuff); THE FEARMAKERS (1958, another intriguing Jacques Tourneur-directed film with Dana Andrews, right after CURSE OF THE DEMON).

Hey, Bronxgirl48, because of your interest in astrology, I thought of you with THE HYPNOTIC EYE which reminded me of Pat Collins, the Hip Hypnotist:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    dfd5531870c14bf1b7e4166029b6d3da.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoShear said:

I may have misheard, Bronxgirl48, but I think the err occurred during the outro of the movie which preceded THE LADY GAMBLES which I almost missed as a result.

Ben loves his 1970's movies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoShear said:

Hey, Bronxgirl48, because of your interest in astrology, I thought of you with THE HYPNOTIC EYE which reminded me of Pat Collins, the Hip Hypnotist:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    dfd5531870c14bf1b7e4166029b6d3da.jpg

NoShear, thanks for that!  Oh my gosh, Pat Collins!!  Didn't she hypnotize a lot of famous celebrities, including Lucille Ball? 

I looked up Ben's chart.  Unfortunately no birth time is given so we cannot ascertain his rising sign.   Mankiewicz is Aries with Moon in Virgo.   (RO was Taurus with Moon in Aries)

24 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Re: "NoShear, thanks for that!  Oh my gosh, Pat Collins!!  Didn't she hypnotize a lot of famous celebrities, including Lucille Ball?"

You're very welcome, Bronxgirl48.

Yes, Pat Collins' resume includes The Lucy Show.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Re: "I looked up Ben's chart.  Unfortunately no birth time is given so we cannot ascertain his rising sign.   Mankiewicz is Aries with Moon in Virgo.   (RO was Taurus with Moon in Aries)"

I never got out of Linda Goodman's "orbit", Bronxgirl48, but both BM* and, belatedly, Robert Osborne seem too subdued to have Aries in their charts, but I guess it goes to their passion for film.

* =                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 bats_man-3.jpg

• Haha 1

Ahh, Linda Goodman (who was IIRC an Aries).....my first brush with astrology.

Was that from Mad Magazine, NoShear?

For everyone who enjoys Eddie's Noir Alley and can't get enough in this genre, ScreenPix, as evidenced by many of their line-ups I've posted, shows a pretty fair amount.   Of course most are cheapjack, tawdry and with bad acting but, so much fun!