Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

psycho.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

Psycho (1960, Hitchcock)
A Phoenix secretary embezzles $40,000 from her employer's client, goes on the run, and checks into a remote motel run by a young man under the domination of his mother.
It's one of his biggest but not one of my favorite Hitchcock joints but I do admire aspects of it - the Bernard Herrmann score, Janet Leigh's clueless weariness, Tony Perkins' closet case routine in rare form, John L. Russell's camerawork and, of course Hitch's finely crafted suspense. Garnered 4 Oscar nods. Decent free streamer on tubi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

gf1.jpg pv1.png

Goldfinger (1964, Guy Hamilton)

While investigating a gold magnate's smuggling, James Bond uncovers a plot to contaminate the Fort Knox gold reserve.

My go-to Bond flick due mostly to the great score and Sean Connery's sense of style. Thought of binging the entire run from Dr. No to No Time To Die but, being mostly guilty pleasures, I'm starting from my favorite. Nice 1995 doc on the film:

• Like 1

eotn.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

Eye of the Needle (1981, Richard Marquand)

A ruthless German spy, trying to get out of Britain with vital information about D-Day, must spend time with a young woman and her crippled husband.

One of my favorites. Canadians, Donald Sutherland and Kate Nelligan were great tandem. Wish they did more (on film) together. Free on tubi.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Wednesday June 15, 2022

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 8.04.14 AM.jpeg

Natalie on TCM

splendor in the grass

more Natalie

meteor.jpg  yt1.png

Meteor (1979, Ronald Neame)

The U.S. must join forces with the U.S.S.R. in order to destroy a gigantic asteroid heading straight for Earth. A rather typical 70s disaster flick barely saved by a great cast having fun and a memorable climax. Wood plays the indispensible Russian scientist/interpreter. Not an official YouTube movie but a good looking version and a credible performance from Wood.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday June 16, 2022

screen1.jpeg

Marriage on TCM

the little foxes

more Marriage (though, in the Hubbards' case ^^ I'd call it more Disaster😉

MV5BM2EwZjZjNDktNGFiOS00M2ZkLWE2MGMtMGEw  app_icon_200x200.png

Chapter Two (1979, Robert Moore)

Neil Simon story about a recently widowed writer (James Caan) and a newly divorced actress (Marsha Mason) who marry after a whirlwind courtship but the guilt from his happiness proves too much to bear. Oscar nod for Mason in a very New York movie. Free on tubi.

• Like 2

Happy Fathers Day

bl1.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png

Bad Lieutenant (1992, Abel Ferrara)

While investigating a young nun's rape, a corrupt New York City police detective, with a serious drug and gambling addiction, tries to change his ways and find forgiveness and redemption. The first and best version of this story (IMO). Fathers come in all shapes, sizes and persuasions! Free on tubi (looks great).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honoring Juneteenth

sounder.jpg  app_icon_200x200.png 

Sounder (1972, Martin Ritt)

The oldest son of a loving and strong family of black sharecroppers comes of age in the Depression-era South after his father is imprisoned for stealing food. I've never sat down to watch this one though I've been aware of its status as a classic for as long as I can remember. Watching it today. 4 Oscar nods, including Best Picture and proved the beginning of a good run of icon-making films for the nominated, Cicely Tyson. Free on tubi (also, several fine version on YouTube). A bit of TCM commentary on the film:

• Like 3

[IMG]   yt1.png
Gandhi (1984, Richard Attenborough)
The life of the lawyer who became the famed leader of the Indian revolts against the British rule through his philosophy of nonviolent protest.
This winner of 8 Oscars is something of a throwback to the sprawling epics of the 50s and 60s. Exceptional casting including the stunning lead performance by Ben Kingsley. Free (and great looking copy) on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday June 24, 2022

AC22B48A-F81F-436F-B12A-5B9F4233C191_4_5005_c

Elvis on TCM

jailhouse rock

more Elvis

kc2.jpg  hoop.jpg

King Creole (1958, Michael Curtiz)

A nineteen-year-old (Presley) gets mixed up with crooks and involved with two women. Presley said that of all the characters he portrayed throughout his acting career, the role of Danny Fisher in King Creole was his favorite. Mine, too. Great soundtrack. Free on hoopla.

• Like 2

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings