Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

It is raising consciousness/awareness about alternative programming and how TCM is changing, because the playing field is not the way it was 20 years ago.

In the beginning TCM could borrow heavily ideas like Star of the Month from the old AMC, and it would serve as a jumping off point for home video sales like the old AMC did (where viewers would buy VHS copies of classic films they saw on AMC)...but now TCM has had to branch out and embrace other platforms like On-Demand in order to stay relevant. I see more changes coming, and I see ME-TV and other cable channels cutting in a bit more.

When Osborne passes away, TCM may really change (speculating)-- and by the way, that is a concept for another thread that I do not wish to start prematurely.

Thanks for writing in to 'Dear TopBilled.' Hope you are enjoying your weekend. LOL

As Jerry once said to Kramer, "you sure can talk some trash".

• Like 2

Right. ON-line stuff is gradually taking over from all TV programming.

My ol' puter is not very good for say streaming content so I jus' prefer to dl it, burn whatever to disc and watch it at my leisure.  :)

As Jerry once said to Kramer, "you sure can talk some trash".

I think after this reply I am putting another poster on my Ignore preferences list. These are (not so) veiled insults. I took time to answer what I thought was a sincere question about the validity of the thread, and instead of getting a thoughtful reply, even one of a different perspective, what we see is an attack. This is not a real conversation, and it is much easier to just ignore such a poster and defuse the tensions. I am sure posters will continue to ignore the Mod's request to report and ignore and will continue to rip apart my posts and try to undermine my point of view. But hopefully folks will begin to see that if the message board community moves away from respectful differences of opinions and more into attacks or weird jokes, then we lose a level of quality and meaningful exchange of ideas. Sad.

Edited by TopBilled

• Like 1

I think after this reply I am putting darkblue on my Ignore preferences list. These are (not so) veiled insults. I took time to answer what I thought was a sincere question about the validity of the thread, and instead of getting a thoughtful reply, even one of a different perspective, what we see is an attack. This is not a real conversation, and it is much easier to just ignore such a poster and defuse the tensions. I am sure darkblue and others will continue to ignore the Mod's request to report and ignore and will continue to rip apart my posts and try to undermine my point of view. But hopefully folks will begin to see that if the message board community moves away from respectful differences of opinions and more into attacks or weird jokes, then we lose a level of quality and meaningful exchange of ideas. Sad.

Dam right! Lets get back to 'er. Why is tcm losing the old rugged saturday nite space cadet crowd to outfits like Me-TV? :)

Right. ON-line stuff is gradually taking over from all TV programming.

And this means that TCM has to adapt even more to the new formats and audience migration. AMC did not go away-- we saw it change radically. Of course, we may not see TCM change that way, but it is still going to have to adapt even more than it already has. So for people to say TCM is not changing, well that is something that I do not agree with-- because from most authentic vantage points, TCM is vulnerable to competition if it does not evolve and grow.

Dam right! Lets get back to 'er. Why is tcm losing the old rugged saturday nite space cadet crowd to outfits like Me-TV? :)

I like your enthusiasm, Nipkow. Even a discussion about Universal horror films on ME-TV can occur on multiple levels, because there were different eras of horror films that were produced by the studio. The output from the thirties is quite different from what they made in the forties and fifties.

I think after this reply I am putting darkblue on my Ignore preferences list. These are (not so) veiled insults. I took time to answer what I thought was a sincere question about the validity of the thread, and instead of getting a thoughtful reply, even one of a different perspective, what we see is an attack. This is not a real conversation, and it is much easier to just ignore such a poster and defuse the tensions. I am sure darkblue and others will continue to ignore the Mod's request to report and ignore and will continue to rip apart my posts and try to undermine my point of view. But hopefully folks will begin to see that if the message board community moves away from respectful differences of opinions and more into attacks or weird jokes, then we lose a level of quality and meaningful exchange of ideas. Sad.

Nothing veiled at all. It's what I honestly think.

The only thing that anyone has learned from this entire thread is that there's a channel that runs the Svengoulie Show on Saturday night.

Not a single post you've made - out of hundreds it seems - has in any way been able to support your "news".

"This thread is important" - get real.

• Like 4

And this means that TCM has to adapt even more to the new formats and audience migration. AMC did not go away-- we saw it change radically. Of course, we may not see TCM change that way, but it is still going to have to adapt even more than it already has. So for people to say TCM is not changing, well that is something that I do not agree with-- because from most authentic vantage points, TCM is vulnerable to competition if it does not evolve and grow.

Of course if TCM were truly going to "adapt to the times" in ways beyond modern media strategies like streaming and such, it would probably be more likely to try to lock up the better more recent movies than to double down on vintage B&W's. 

After all, there are far more non-current TCM viewers under the age of 50 who remember Robert DeNiro's Taxi Driver than there are those with fond memories of James Cagney's Taxi.

In short, people might be careful about what they ask for, because they might not like what they might be getting.

• Like 1

Nothing veiled at all. It's what I honestly think.

The only thing that anyone has learned from this entire thread is that there's a channel that runs the Svengoulie Show on Saturday night.

Not a single post you've made - out of hundreds it seems - has in any way been able to support your "news".

"This is an important thread" - get real.

The info about the Svengoulie Show and the lease that show or network has for Universal horror films is important (at least to me).    e.g. it relates to discussion about the upcomming October SOTM;  instead of Janet Leigh it could have been Bela Lugosi.  

So we can now assume Universal is willing to lease those 'classic' horor films.   What we don't know if why TCM didn't lease them.

But clearly how important all of the above is, was overstated.  Way overstated.   This is par for the course as it relates to most of this so called 'news'. 

The info about the Svengoulie Show and the lease that show or network has for Universal horror films is important (at least to me).    e.g. it relates to discussion about the upcomming October SOTM;  instead of Janet Leigh it could have been Bela Lugosi.  

So we can now assume Universal is willing to lease those 'classic' horor films.   What we don't know if why TCM didn't lease them.

But clearly how important all of the above is, was overstated.  Way overstated.   This is par for the course as it relates to most of this so called 'news'. 

Now you've done it. Topper will be able to drag this thing out for another 2 weeks because you said it has importance.

• Like 1

I would agree with that...but...youtube is only a threat when it comes to public domain films-- anything on there illegally is bound to be taken down.

ME-TV is a concern when it comes to cornering the market on Universal horror films that TCM does not seem able or willing to procure for audiences that love these kinds of films. 

I could see a few leaving TCM for that time slot but then they could record TCM at the same time and have both if they wanted them. But more importantly all of those Universal horror movies were on Youtube for anyone that wanted them, people that have to wait for a channel to show them are light-years behind the times already. As the new generation grows older this is how things will probably happen, PPV and online.

Next saturday Me-TV is gonna be good for Revenge of the Creature. :D

...not shown on tcm since the devonian period.  :lol:

No, actually they are going to be showing Svengoolie at 10PM on July 19th.  Svengoolie is featuring Revenge of the Creature.  In addition to commercials, it will have several breaks for Svengoolie to talk about whatever he talks about.

I think this whole thread should be re-titled to TCM competitors or something else because it really has nothing to do with MeTV as such.

No, actually they are going to be showing Svengoolie at 10PM on July 19th.  Svengoolie is featuring Revenge of the Creature.  In addition to commercials, it will have several breaks for Svengoolie to talk about whatever he talks about.

I think this whole thread should be re-titled to TCM competitors or something else because it really has nothing to do with MeTV as such.

I disagree. Watching Creature From The Black Lagoon last nite on :) Svengoolie is was quite apparent, as I said before, the movie is rejoined at almost the precise moment it was broken away from for the commercials and the routines. So the whole movies are being shown.  :P

I could see a few leaving TCM for that time slot but then they could record TCM at the same time and have both if they wanted them. But more importantly all of those Universal horror movies were on Youtube for anyone that wanted them, people that have to wait for a channel to show them are light-years behind the times already. As the new generation grows older this is how things will probably happen, PPV and online.

Lots of movies shown by TCM are on YouTube or archive.org, etc. It doesn't stop TCM showing them.

You're free to go off and start a new thread about that. :) Nobody is preventing you.

Lots of movies shown by TCM are on YouTube or archive.org, etc. It doesn't stop TCM showing them.

Swithin, I think  you may be getting into a subtopic-- TCM does use public domain prints, available on youtube, as filler?... 

I disagree. Watching Creature From The Black Lagoon last nite on :) Svengoolie is was quite apparent, as I said before, the movie is rejoined at almost the precise moment it was broken away from for the commercials and the routines. So the whole movies are being shown.  :P

I think so, too. Maybe some of the film is trimmed but not much. They edit his comments to make sure they fit around portions of the film and it all works into the time slot given them.

Of course TCM can show the movies that are legally on YouTube since by definition those are in the public domain.

But often public domain versions are of a poor quality.   It is my understanding that if a company 'cleans up' a movie in the public domain that company controls the rights to the cleaned up version.      

Interesting comment. Personally, I think a large reason people use TCM is to record uncut widescreen HD versions of classics they do not want to buy individually on home video. 

Swithin, I think  you may be getting into a subtopic-- TCM does use public domain prints, available on youtube, as filler?... 

The other poster seemed to be saying that certain films need not be shown by TCM because they are on YouTube. I was pointing out that TCM does indeed show many films that are on YouTube. My point had nothing to do with public domain; merely that it doesn't follow that if a film is online, TCM doesn't need to show it. Here's the part of MovieMadness' quote that I was responding to:

"But more importantly all of those Universal horror movies were on Youtube for anyone that wanted them, people that have to wait for a channel to show them are light-years behind the times already." 

So, are people who will watch The Little Princess on TCM today light-years behind the times because they are not watching it on YouTube?

The other poster seemed to be saying that certain films need not be shown by TCM because they are on YouTube. I was pointing out that TCM does indeed show many films that are on YouTube. My point had nothing to do with public domain; merely that it doesn't follow that if a film is online, TCM doesn't need to show it. Here's the part of MovieMadness' quote that I was responding to:

"But more importantly all of those Universal horror movies were on Youtube for anyone that wanted them, people that have to wait for a channel to show them are light-years behind the times already." 

So, are people who will watch The Little Princess on TCM today light-years behind the times because they are not watching it on YouTube?

Okay. I always thought the youtube thread was created in frustration over TCM's airing of postcode films-- and that it was meant to point to other options online for posters who may also be dissatisfied with TCM's schedule.

Until now I don't think we have seen comments anywhere that suggested people were light-years behind the times. LOL