Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Unfortunately, I do not have Me-TV (I am in one of their dead zones) but I do watch some of other channels wherever there are reruns of classic TV shows. I do 't watch any of the other movie channels as the only ones in the area are AMC and FX.

I suspect that we have people who post here that do watch AMC. That's a taboo subject, though. LOL

Unfortunately, I do not have Me-TV (I am in one of their dead zones) but I do watch some of other channels wherever there are reruns of classic TV shows. I do 't watch any of the other movie channels as the only ones in the area are AMC and FX.Af

I didn't think I had ME-TV. Then I noticed I have something called WZME, which is ME-TV.

Would you say you represent the norm, or the exception?

I'm not sure as to specific age breakdowns of the demographics, but I would also consider myself part of the younger generation, albeit the older end of the young generation, I'm 30. Personally, I'd rather watch movies using the actual DVD or Blu-Ray or watching it off of TV; however, I wouldn't discount streaming. I can access TCM's online streaming of recently aired movies and I occasionally will connect my laptop to my TV and stream films to watch. Usually ones I forgot to set up on the DVR.

I don't use TCM to record hard copies of movies. I use it to watch movies I'm interested in to see if they're worth buying or simply to watch movies that aren't on DVD; but I'm interested in seeing.

I also stream movies off of Netflix. If I could choose how to watch a movie, I'd pick the hard copy over all other formats simply because sometimes my internet connection flakes out and disrupts the film I'm trying to watch.

Edit: I realize this post was directed at Obrienmundy; but I figured I'd add an additional perspective.

I'm not sure as to specific age breakdowns of the demographics, but I would also consider myself part of the younger generation, albeit the older end of the young generation, I'm 30. Personally, I'd rather watch movies using the actual DVD or Blu-Ray or watching it off of TV; however, I wouldn't discount streaming. I can access TCM's online streaming of recently aired movies and I occasionally will connect my laptop to my TV and stream films to watch. Usually ones I forgot to set up on the DVR.

I don't use TCM to record hard copies of movies. I use it to watch movies I'm interested in to see if they're worth buying or simply to watch movies that aren't on DVD; but I'm interested in seeing.

I also stream movies off of Netflix. If I could choose how to watch a movie, I'd pick the hard copy over all other formats simply because sometimes my internet connection flakes out and disrupts the film I'm trying to watch.

Edit: I realize this post was directed at Obrienmundy; but I figured I'd add an additional perspectival

Apart from TCM, from which I generally DVR, I also prefer hard copies. I also sometimes connect my laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable, to watch stuff on the larger screen. But a recent problem is that my new laptop doesn't have a DVD drive -- that seems to be the way the industry is going. I have an external drive, but it's cumbersome to use outside, while traveling, etc. So that's unfortunately another strike against the DVD.

The other poster seemed to be saying that certain films need not be shown by TCM because they are on YouTube. I was pointing out that TCM does indeed show many films that are on YouTube. My point had nothing to do with public domain; merely that it doesn't follow that if a film is online, TCM doesn't need to show it. Here's the part of MovieMadness' quote that I was responding to:

"But more importantly all of those Universal horror movies were on Youtube for anyone that wanted them, people that have to wait for a channel to show them are light-years behind the times already." 

So, are people who will watch The Little Princess on TCM today light-years behind the times because they are not watching it on YouTube?

People that have been waiting to watch The Little Princess,  who really,  really wanted to see the film,  are light-years behind if they didn't go to YouTube to watch the film instead of just waiting for TCM to show it.

People that have been waiting to watch The Little Princess,  who really,  really wanted to see the film,  are light-years behind if they didn't go to YouTube to watch the film instead of just waiting for TCM to show it.

If they waited too long, she'd be the big old queen rather than the little princess!

Apart from TCM, from which I generally DVR, I also prefer hard copies. I also sometimes connect my laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable, to watch stuff on the larger screen. But a recent problem is that my new laptop doesn't have a DVD drive -- that seems to be the way the industry is going. I have an external drive, but it's cumbersome to use outside, while traveling, etc. So that's unfortunately another strike against the DVD.

That's strange that they're not putting DVD drives in laptops. Mine (that I bought last year) has a DVD drive. I know a lot of people watch movies on their tablet, which to me would be a disadvantage as you're limited to what you can stream.

That's strange that they're not putting DVD drives in laptops. Mine (that I bought last year) has a DVD drive. I know a lot of people watch movies on their tablet, which to me would be a disadvantage as you're limited to what you can stream.

Exactly, I thought it was just because I switched to a Mac, but many of the other brands seem to be drifting away from the optical drives as well.

Here's an article about it. (I disagree with the opinions in this article.) There are more recent articles on the subject around; this was the first I found.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2309779,00.asp

If people want to start talking about "light years," then I will have to remind them that a light year is not a measure of time.  It is a measure of distance, approximately 6 trillion miles, which is the distance light travels in a year.

This is just the latest in a series of corrections to misinformation being spread on these boards.  Stay tuned, as there will be no doubt be more corrections in the future.

• Like 2

If people want to start talking about "light years," then I will have to remind them that a light year is not a measure of time.  It is a measure of distance, approximately 6 trillion miles, which is the distance light travels in a year.

This is just the latest in a series of corrections to misinformation being spread on these boards.  Stay tuned, as there will be no doubt be more corrections in the future.

Isn't "stay tuned" actually obsolete? I think it comes from the days of radio dials!

Isn't "stay tuned" actually obsolete? I think it comes from the days of radio dials!

Yes stay tuned is obsolete as it relates to T.V.  today.   Instead it should be "stay clicked".    Or what the wife tells me: put down the remote and stay on one *^% station! 

• Like 1

Exactly, I thought it was just because I switched to a Mac, but many of the other brands seem to be drifting away from the optical drives as well.

Here's an article about it. (I disagree with the opinions in this article.) There are more recent articles on the subject around; this was the first I found.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2309779,00.asp

Finally - this thread is providing some actual informative value.

• Like 1

Phew, I was worried. How  'bout you, TopBilled, were you worried too?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

[...] And hopefully we can develop more tolerance for the differences without the jabs, pokes, bullying and assorted unfriendly remarks.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited to remove abusive remarks

Monday midday and no new posts. The battle is won! Point made! TopBilled has made his argument successfully.  :D

...now lets continue building this thread's view tally.

Why?

Because TopBilled is a genius.  :)

Monday midday and no new posts. The battle is won! Point made! TopBilled has made his argument successfully.  :D

Why?

For it is written!.......

A prehistoric amphibious humanoid in Florida is worth more than one in the lagoon!  :P

Why?

You really think?

Over 15,500 views and ONLY 633 replies.... That comes out to just over a 4% reply rate. Not too good. Must mean people are getting rather tired, possibly frustrated with this thread.

Who used lightyear incorrectly in this thread? Or will it take a lightyear to learn the answer, haha.