Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

I would guess most of the page views on this are from TCM employees worried about their jobs, but then they look up ME TV and think "Ugh, are you kidding? My job is safe, lol"

Nobody in their right mind thinks Me-TV is gonna bring down tcm but is tcm losing a substantial number of viewers saturday nites to Me-TV because they are showing universal sci-fi genre films that tcm will not?...that tcm possibly coulda procured for themselves if they had wanted to?  :) 

Nobody in their right mind thinks Me-TV is gonna bring down tcm but is tcm losing a substantial number of viewers saturday nites to Me-TV because they are showing universal sci-fi genre films that tcm will not?...that tcm possibly coulda procured for themselves if they had wanted to?  :) 

I guess what I'm always gettin' at is my belief that tcm has decided to more or less disregard the lifelong couch potato / space cadet crowd like myself. So if we want the 1950s science fiction B classics like the creature films, we gotta look elsewhere.

Am I really so outta line simply because I would like to see them shown here on tcm without commercials?

Classic science fiction films whether they be the George Pal classics or the low-budget saturday matinee variety are a part of american mainstream filmdom and they always have been. Yet tcm has decided to consign them to the weekends and tcm underground. Some of these films deserve to be in the spotlight too. At least as much if not more so than many obscure european and french foreign films.

I guess what I'm always gettin' at is my belief that tcm has decided to more or less disregard the lifelong couch potato / space cadet crowd like myself. So if we want the 1950s science fiction B classics like the creature films, we gotta look elsewhere.

Am I really so outta line simply because I would like to see them shown here on tcm without commercials?

Classic science fiction films whether they be the George Pal classics or the low-budget saturday matinee variety are a part of american mainstream filmdom and they always have been. Yet tcm has decided to consign them to the weekends and tcm underground. Some of these films deserve to be in the spotlight too. At least as much if not more so than many obscure european and french foreign films.

Now we are getting somewhere;  The important question here are;

1) what is the size of this 'couch potato / space cadet crowd like yourself that wants to see 1950s Sci Fi class 'b' films?

2)  Is the size of the above crowd bigger than the crowd that wish to see TCM show european foreign films?  

3) Has TCM done the market research to answer the above question?   

4) What other type or catetory of films is TCM NOT showing that market research indicates they should show?  (by should I mean that by doing so they might pick up new TCM viewers)

We both don't know what crowd is bigger and therefore more likely to watch TCM if TCM was to cater to the type of films that crowd wants.

I support your desire to see these films on TCM.   I really do.     I also assume TCM does market research and uses said research when deciding what to lease or NOT.     

So while I hope you get what you're asking for,  the truth is that everyone can't get what they are asking for as it relates to TCM's programming.     If TCM shows more movies from category X,  they need to show less from category Y.   

Now we are getting somewhere;  The important question here are;

1) what is the size of this 'couch potato / space cadet crowd like yourself that wants to see 1950s Sci Fi class 'b' films?

2)  Is the size of the above crowd bigger than the crowd that wish to see TCM show european foreign films?  

3) Has TCM done the market research to answer the above question?   

4) What other type or catetory of films is TCM NOT showing that market research indicates they should show?  (by should I mean that by doing so they might pick up new TCM viewers)

We both don't know what crowd is bigger and therefore more likely to watch TCM if TCM was to cater to the type of films that crowd wants.

I support your desire to see these films on TCM.   I really do.     I also assume TCM does market research and uses said research when deciding what to lease or NOT.     

So while I hope you get what you're asking for,  the truth is that everyone can't get what they are asking for as it relates to TCM's programming.     If TCM shows more movies from category X,  they need to show less from category Y.   

This thread now has more posts than ME-TV has viewers.

• Like 3

I don't think anyone is outta line for expressing their genre preferences.  I only get annoyed when people start pretending that they represent any specific percentage of the TCM audience, in some sort of effort to denigrate the followers of other genres.

See, here's the problem:  What's "obscure" to you is "mainstream" to plenty of other viewers, and what's "mainstream" to you may be just as marginal to those viewers as "obscure european and french foreign films" are to you.

Believe it or not, many of those "obscure european and french foreign films" took in a lot more money in American box offices than most of those low-budget sci-fi movies you seem to love.  Those low-budget sci-fi movies movies were usually relegated to Saturday afternoons (and later to midnight showings) for a very good reason, the reason being that they seldom attracted enough full price (i.e. adult) viewers to show them during the evening hours.

That doesn't mean that TCM shouldn't show these movies.  But I can't see why on Earth they'd have any sort of preferential time slot claim over some of those "obscure european and french foreign films" that are universally acknowledged by critics and audiences to be among the finest movies ever made.

And BTW those "obscure european and french foreign films" are themselves seldom shown in prime time, but you don't see many of us fans of those films complaining about the time slots, even though some of us would sometimes rather see Children of Paradise or Touchez Pas au Grisbi in prime time once in a while, rather  than the 500th showing of Adam's Rib or West Side Story.  We're just grateful that they're shown at all, and when they're shown overnight, well, that's what recorders were made for.  :)

• Like 1

So while I hope you get what you're asking for,  the truth is that everyone can't get what they are asking for as it relates to TCM's programming.    

Bingo.

If TCM shows more movies from category X,  they need to show less from category Y.

The only way to get around that in a way that might please everyone would be for TCM to pare back its multi-repeats in favor of more premieres from categories like low-budget sci-fi AND "obscure european and french films".  And maybe even a few films from some other countries as well.

Problem is, as gets pointed out repeatedly by Rey and many others, TCM is under contractual obligation to repeat many of those Same Old Same Olds if they want to get the rest of the package. So it's not as simple as just dropping the 7th and 8th showings of North By Northwest and substituting those cult movies that show up on ME-TV.  Bottom line is that you can't please all the people all the time.

• Like 1

And BTW those "obscure european and french foreign films" are themselves seldom shown in prime time, but you don't see many of us fans of those films complaining about the time slots, even though some of us would sometimes rather see Children of Paradise or Touchez Pas au Grisbi in prime time once in a while, rather  than the 500th showing of Adam's Rib or West Side Story.  We're just grateful that they're shown at all, and when they're shown overnight, well, that's what recorders were made for.  :)

I want to see all 192 minutes of one of my favorite films, Céline and Julie Go Boating (Céline et Julie vont en bateau) on TCM in prime time. 

(...oh what the heck...every OTHER freakin' thread around here lately eventually goes in the direction I'm about to take this one, and so why NOT?!...)

Geee ND, but here you said(and which I took the liberty to highlight) you even want to see TCM show those "low-budget Saturday matinee" sci-fi flicks TOO.

And so, I might ask here: Seein' as how so many folks around this place think the "C" in TCM stands for "Classic", as in "really well-made movies recognized by many if not most people as 'classics' and made during the studio era", now tell me here...are THOSE kind of flicks REALLY "classics"???

(...he pointedly asked...and I HOPE you realize here that my point ISN'T that TCM shouldn't show these particular films you'd like to see, BUT to EMPHASIZE the idea that the people who keep sayin' TCM should ONLY show "classics" made during the studio era are..well..I guess "incongruous in their reasoning" might be the best AND most polite manner in which I could state this)

• Like 1

So while I hope you get what you're asking for,  the truth is that everyone can't get what they are asking for as it relates to TCM's programming. 

But we CAN post about wanting to see a certain movie hundreds of times - all day, every day - fun for the whole family.

It's like the "please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please........." behavior that every adult loves to see in children.

• Like 1

(...oh what the heck...every OTHER freakin' thread around here lately eventually goes in the direction I'm about to take this one, and so why NOT?!...)

Geee ND, but here you said(and which I took the liberty to highlight) you even want to see TCM show those "low-budget Saturday matinee" sci-fi flicks TOO.

And so, I might ask here: Seein' as how so many folks around this place think the "C" in TCM stands for "Classic", as in "really well-made movies recognized by many if not most people as 'classics' and made during the studio era", now tell me here...are THOSE kind of flicks REALLY "classics"???

(...he pointedly asked...and I HOPE you realize here that my point ISN'T that TCM shouldn't show these particular films you'd like to see, BUT to EMPHASIZE the idea that the people who keep sayin' TCM should ONLY show "classics" made during the studio era are..well..I guess "incongruous in their reasoning" might be the best AND most polite manner in which I could state this)

Aww hell, Dargo, most of us are quite acclimated to tcm's worship of such films like Gone With The Wind, Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 a space odyssey, but for tcm to have shown creature from the black lagoon so many times during the past year but not the two sequels is really incongruous to my thinking.

Huge news. Coming in just over an hour.  Check back around 12 p.m. Pacific Time.  

Hey TopBilled, here was something ME TV could never do - blow me away with a movie that was new to me, after all these years. Satan Met A Lady, did you see it? Do they have television where you are? U R missed. :(

Not ONLY did it star my beloved future husband, Warren William, but Bette Davis outshone Mary Astor and Bebe Daniels. Yes, Mary Astor made the confusing even more confusing and Bebe Daniels was beyond sexy with Ricardo Cortez, but Davis was astonishing.

Sorry, Bogey, you and Mary made the confusing confusion the most confoozled confusing story in the world of cinema. Ricardo, you were drop dead sexy and your version burned up the celluloid. However..........my gorgeous future husband was delicious, simply delicious, his comedic form at its best in this version of the Maltese Falcon and his acting, as usual, top notch. Even the future hawker of fish and chips was interesting, as was Alison Skipworth. Don't know who Marie Wilson was, but she was a hoot.

Bosley Crowther was an idiot.

Catch it, TopBilled, if you haven't already. TCM actually did what they used to do best, back in the day, show a classically classic movie. The entire day isn't bad, but SMAL was wonderful.

In my best Hazel (see what I did there, I kept on topic with ME TV) voice:   Come baaaaaaack, Little Sheeeb.............er, TopBilled! :D

Satan Met A Lady, did you see it? 

I didn't watch it this time around but saw it in the old Theater 80 St. Marks many years ago. I also prefer it to The Maltese Falcon. Much as we all love John Huston, I think he did his best work much, much later -- with Wise Blood and The Dead.

I didn't watch it this time around but saw it in the old Theater 80 St. Marks many years ago. I also prefer it to The Maltese Falcon. Much as we all love John Huston, I think he did his best work much, much later -- with Wise Blood and The Dead.

How cool to have seen it in a theater.

So who's gonna be watchin' Revenge of the Creature this saturday on Me-TV?  :)

2v1w9y0.jpg

Oh, this is simply too special.  :) This saturday some great films like Raintree County and Bad Day at Black Rock but what is competing with the 2nd creature film on Me-TV? AFI's Master Class - The Art of Collaboration: Spielberg-Williams (2011) Man oh man! Who is going to wanna miss that?  :lol:

Me!

Me too. What a great sequel. We learn important things like the creature physiologically just misses being human. He won't hurt children and if anyone is dumb enough to loiter around his unconscious female abductees, he's gonna chuck 'em at a palm tree and throttle them.  :)

erhduh.jpg

erhduh.jpg

People always make fun of the tabanga as a silly monster but I find From Hell It Came a rather well done film.  :)

I have seen the film a few times and I enjoy it.  It is one of the better 'B' picture monster films,  but I still feel these type of movies are best when the monster is not on the screen or better yet never shown.   In these type of movies there is just too much of a camp factor when the monster is shown.   That was the point made in The Bad and the Beautiful  (which had a scene related to the making of Cat People).      There is just more suspense and a greater fear factor when the monster is left to our imagination.      

I have seen the film a few times and I enjoy it.  It is one of the better 'B' picture monster films,  but I still feel these type of movies are best when the monster is not on the screen or better yet never shown.   In these type of movies there is just too much of a camp factor when the monster is shown.   That was the point made in The Bad and the Beautiful  (which had a scene related to the making of Cat People).      There is just more suspense and a greater fear factor when the monster is left to our imagination.      

I understand your point, but sometimes I just want to see a big juicy ol' monster, in all its glory! Horror movies are after all contemporary myths and expressions of fear of the unknown, and those creatures have been personified in folklore throughout history. Here's Buer, a demon I learned about in my demonology class when I was studying theology:

l.jpg