Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Doesn't anyone care about the Tabanga any more?

from-hell-it-came-1957-_139486-fli_13732

I gotta ask...

It is only me or does this here "Tabanga" creature look a lot like the talking trees that end up throwing their apples at Dorothy and her traveling companions?

(...oh, and does this thing perhaps hail from "Tabanga Canyon", and if it does, then did it grow up on the Malibu Beach side or the San Fernando Valley side of it???)

• Like 1

I gotta ask...

It is only me or does this here "Tabanga" creature look a lot like the talking trees that end up throwing their apples at Dorothy and her traveling companions?

Yes, in fact, Tabanga was thrown off the set of Oz for molesting the script girl.

You can see he did not learn his lesson:

Untitled4-79.png

• Like 1

Yes, in fact, Tabanga was thrown off the set of Oz for molesting the script girl.

Untitled4-79.png

Does Tabanga resemble the Tasmanian Devil? (Looney Tune version)

Untitled4-79.png

Eeh! I wooden put much stock in that old rumor if I were you, Rich.

I didn't watch it this time around but saw it in the old Theater 80 St. Marks many years ago. I also prefer it to The Maltese Falcon. Much as we all love John Huston, I think he did his best work much, much later -- with Wise Blood and The Dead.

I agree that John Huston's later work was among his best. PRIZZI'S HONOR and THE DEAD are my favorites of his. 

I'm so glad some people know who Tabanga is. I am trying my hand at topiary these days and when someone asks what my forsythia is going to be, I tell them "A Tabanga" and then have to clarify by saying it's a mythical tree creature. It will be the most fun when it's upstretched "arms" grow in.

• Like 1

I'm so glad some people know who Tabanga is. I am trying my hand at topiary these days and when someone asks what my forsythia is going to be, I tell them "A Tabanga" and then have to clarify by saying it's a mythical tree creature. It will be the most fun when it's upstretched "arms" grow in.

What is topiary?

Yes, almost 17,000 views is a lot of views. Which is making the original poster very proud.

Unfortunately the replies to this stupendous amount of views is PALTRY.

The total amount of replies as a percentage of the views is less than 4%.

What does this all indicate?

That a lot of people are coming here to look at the thread, but very, very few people are actually coming here to comment. Which leads this poster to postulate that the thread is not all that interesting to the vast amount of people coming here to view, but not touch. I mean comment.

Here's the whole film. At first I thought it was missing the beginning, but the credits come after the opening scene.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlsjt3_from-hell-it-came_shortfilms

"Yes it is...'cause it's an interesting subject"

So interesting that there have been ONLY 673 replies. Still less than 4%. Not very interesting enough to cause maybe a 10% reply rate. Now that would be something to cheer about.....

I've just posted a link to the whole film. But remember -- "It dangerous for strangers to go near the Tabanga!"

And since this thread is all about shameless self-promotion, here's my review:

One of the scariest movies ever made – scary, because somebody thought that a walking tree was something the public was dying to see.

As the film opens (and it should have closed immediately), we are transported to some tropical setting, where Gregg Palmer, as Kimo, is stretched out between several stakes and a few stray chickens. He stands accused (or lays accused) of killing his father, the Chief of whatever tribe this is. He claims it wasn’t him, but the medicine man, Tano, who poisoned the old guy, so that Maranka could be the new Chief. Kimo’s wife, played by Suzanne Ridgeway, offers no help. Ridgeway appeared in several Three Stooges shorts. Here, we discover she is trying to get into Maranka’s shorts. Kimo swears he will get revenge on everyone, right before they drive a knife through his heart.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, scientists Tod Andrews and John McNamara are working on a remedy for the plague that has hit the natives. In stumbles Linda Watkins, as the twice-widowed Mrs. Kilgore. After listening to this dame for about ten seconds, you will realize her husbands undoubtedly killed themselves. Watkins explains that she saw the whole stake-through-the-heart ceremony. Arriving shortly thereafter by helicopter is another scientist, played by Tina Carver. I guess her function is to help with the plague, and excite the 6-year-olds in the audience who think this bilge is entertaining. Apparently she and Andrews had a little something going somewhere sometime somehow.

One of the natives comes by and tells everyone that he fears Kimo will rise as a Tabanga (or Tabonga, depending upon whom you listen to). Tabanga is a native word meaning “crappy special effect.” Sure enough, something starts growing where Kimo is buried, so the scientists go off to investigate. They find a stump with a frown on its face, and a knife stuck in the body. Carver takes its pulse and declares that it has a human heart beat. Switch to another primary care physician. Not satisfied, these morons wait until the thing is almost fully grown, and then dig it up and bring it to their laboratory. There, Carver injects it with formula 447 and some Miracle-Gro© in an attempt to save it. “I want to try some on our wooden friend here,” she says. The results are predictable. Pretty soon, the tree sets off and stalks its victims. Of course, they are all too slow to outrun a tree. Ridgeway is tossed into quicksand and Tano ends up with a knife in his back – apparently trees carry switchblades. Chief Maranka stands only three feet away from Tabanga, yet manages to miss it entirely with his spear. Tabanga then twigs him to death. The tree snatches Carver, and the others rush to her aid. Unfortunately, they all survive – well, all but the tree.

To add to the hilarity of this film, the print I watched had French subtitles:

“Un monstre- arbre? Allons, je connais les fleurs carnivores, mais un monstre-arbre, c’est grotesque.”

Andrews and McNamara are okay in their roles. Carver gives more to her role than it deserves; she would have made a good tree surgeon. But her voice is a little nasal, and when she screams, it sounds like a cat whose tail has been stepped on. Ridgeway looks good in a sarong, but her acting is abysmal. I have no idea who Watkins is supposed to be, but she is so irritating that to hell she should go. And I pity the poor guy who had to wear the tree suit. His career never branched out.

As the film opens (and it should have closed immediately), we are transported to some tropical setting, where Gregg Palmer, as Kimo, is stretched out between several stakes and a few stray chickens. 

LOL! But you should give a spoiler alert for those who will have the pleasure of seeing it for the first time! Also, the film actually opens with a prologue -- a scene with some scientists talking. The opening you describe does come right after the credits, but that's a few minutes into the film.

Is this thread really hitting 17,000 views...?

Yeah, amazingly it has.

However, I'm just wonderin' about somethin' here. Ya see, with all the off-topic subjects that have popped up in this baby(with me as usual "contributing" more than my fair share of), I gotta wonder why the OP hasn't flipped-out about all this, and kinda like he does whenever any other of "his" threads go off in tangential ways???

(...oh...wait...THAT'S right...I think he goin' for some kinda "record" here, isn't he...never mind)

• Like 1

I would not mind an evening of Paul Naschy, but first, I'm still waiting for The Brainiac, Black Pit of Dr. M, and other masterpieces of Mexican horror. Seriously, this is a neglected genre to which attention must be paid!

argh-brainiac002_jpg.jpg

Haven't seen this film in twenty-five years. It played on the USA Network on Commander USA's show. Anybody remember that one? Anyhow, I purchased the DVD and was not disappointed. Good fun. Abel Salazar was a handsome man who knew how to smooch.Got the usual horrible special effects and the comedy relief copper, but it's still good fun. Great fodder for a Friday afternoon at the movies.

Yeah, amazingly it has.

However, I'm just wonderin' about somethin' here. Ya see, with all the off-topic subjects that have popped up in this baby(with me as usual "contributing" more than my fair share of), I gotta wonder why the OP hasn't flipped-out about all this, and kinda like he does whenever any other of "his" threads go off in tangential ways???

(...oh...wait...THAT'S right...I think he goin' for some kinda "record" here, isn't he...never mind)

What % of the posts have actually been about ME-TV? Maybe when a thread title is considered overly restrictive, a little more leeway is allowed with respect to going off-topic. Suppose I titled a thread "The comedy films of Lawrence Tierney". Since ANY post would have to be off-topic, the thread couldn't be closed down for going off-topic.

What % of the posts have actually been about ME-TV? Maybe when a thread title is considered overly restrictive, a little more leeway is allowed with respect to going off-topic. Suppose I titled a thread "The comedy films of Lawrence Tierney". Since ANY post would have to be off-topic, the thread couldn't be closed down for going off-topic.

Ya know finance, you might have a point here.

AND, considering all the posts in this "ME-TV" thread that I've personally tried to make ABOUT "me", and just as it seems so many others have attempted to make it about "themselves"(and with the OP of this thread perhaps ESPECIALLY personifying this thought), well, maybe in THIS case the title of this thread might not only universally pertinent but ALSO maybe even legitimately conducive in this regard, huh?! ;)

LOL

(...and the count goes on)

Ya know finance, you might have a point here.

AND, considering all the posts in this "ME-TV" thread that I've personally tried to make ABOUT "me", and just as it seems so many others have attempted to make it about "themselves"(and with the OP of this thread perhaps ESPECIALLY personifying this thought), well, maybe in THIS case the title of this thread might not only universally pertinent but ALSO maybe even legitimately conducive in this regard, huh?! ;)

LOL

(...and the count goes on)

When I first saw that the name of the channel was ME-TV, I assumed that the name meant that they showed the best programs for me, whoever "me" happens to be.