Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

When I first saw that the name of the channel was ME-TV, I assumed that the name meant that they showed the best programs for me, whoever "me" happens to be.

Well, while "me" likes watching some of those old sitcoms, "me" has started noticing lately how little "The Donna Reed Show" and many of the later episodes of "My Three Sons"(just to name a few...and don't even get me started on that lame "Petticoat Junction") are actually funny and/or even interesting.

(...yep, "me" didn't remember this from back when I first watched these shows as a kid)

Well, while "me" likes watching some of those old sitcoms, "me" has started noticing lately how little "The Donna Reed Show" and many of the later episodes of "My Three Sons"(just to name a few...and don't even get me started on that lame "Petticoat Junction") are actually funny and/or even interesting.

They sure are sappy, though.

They sure are sappy, though.

Yeah...ALMOST as sappy as that "Tabanga" thing!

(...which I MIGHT add, NOBODY ever answered my question about if that thing hailed from "Tabanga Canyon"...let alone WHICH side of "Tabanga Canyon"!!!)

All I know is when someone says "tabanga", I'm always sure to say "you're welcome".

Aah! Now THAT reminds ME of the time I WAS workin' the room in the Catskills and when I broke into my song, "Tijuana Dance Under The Moonlight"!

(...yeah, it went over about as well as you'd think...tough crowd that night...word was the kitchen had run out of borscht and gefilte fish, and OY, you'd think somebody had just slapped their mothers or somethin'!)  

Since I am usually at home around 4 pm, and unless TCM or another channel has a really good flick on, I end up riding with Malloy and Reed in ADAM - 12 (thank you Me TV).  :)

Did you happen to catch the episode they showed a week or so ago that featured both big ol' Leo Gordon as a vigilante wannabe cop and also his real life wife of 50 years Lynn Cartwright who played a con woman in the same episode?

(...boy did Lynn look good there...she was always my favorite "Venusian" woman in "Queen of Outer Space", ya know)

Dargo, over all the years I have probably seen every episode of ADAM 12 a half dozen times on average. Unless I have seen it recently, individual episodes get kind off jumbled up in my mind (like some movies, eh). We discussed bad boy Leo Gordon on another thread some time ago, he was in several ADAM 12 episodes (each time a different character) and did you know he wrote quite a few of the stories as well.  When you mention Lynn  Cartwright my first thought was , "which one of Ben's wives was she?" :D  I see that she was in three different ADAM 12 episodes and also was in three episodes of HIGHWAY PATROL , I will have to take special note to watch for her in the future. As  with many actors/actresses you don't always connect names and faces right away. Looking up her name and seeing pictures of her  she sure looks familiar now  ;)

Here's a great colorized shot of the creature and the nice-legged Julie Adams. Remember, tonite...

REVENGE OF THE CREATURE only on Me-TV.

I'd watch it on tcm but tcm has gotta show it first before anybody can do that.  :)

x6klee.jpg

Here's a great colorized shot of the creature and the nice-legged Julie Adams. Remember, tonite...

REVENGE OF THE CREATURE only on Me-TV.

I'd watch it on tcm but tcm has gotta show it first before anybody can do that.  :)

x6klee.jpg

Fast forwarding ahead on my TV channel guide to ten tonite the description for Revenge of the Creature reads "First of the Creature From The Black Lagoon sequels. The amphibious gill-man wreaks havoc in Florida." That is the story synopsis of a film another poster maintained should be written off. Fortunately my 50 years as an idiot box-gawking space cadet has of course given me that special inner intuition. Space cadets have that, you know. :) There is also this very good dramatic scene where Lucas (Nestor Paiva) is telling these two scientific guys down in the cabin of the Rita II that there is some inate spark within the Gill-Man that has empowered the creature with the ability to survive millions of years beyond the devonian period into the present day thwarting it's own extinction. Something powerful just as the creature itself is powerful. Way da go, Jack Arnold!  :D 

Thanks for that photo.  One thing I wanted to mention is that REVENGE OF THE CREATURE features Clint Eastwood's first bit part as an actor (according to the IMDB). He has the uncredited role of Jennings in this picture. He made a few films for Universal that year-- 1955, and he was on his way.

Thanks for that photo.  One thing I wanted to mention is that REVENGE OF THE CREATURE features Clint Eastwood's first bit part as an actor (according to the IMDB). He has the uncredited role of Jennings in this picture. He made a few films for Universal that year-- 1955, and he was on his way.

There he is, Clint the lab assistant and John Agar.  :)

2zdvhnk.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, Svengoolie also pointed out the actor inside the swimming Gill-man made a cameo as a scientist. R.O. wouldn't do that would he? 

The actor/swimmer certainly was slender. He did a fantastic job of acting....amazing considering it was only body language because he was encased in that suit.

The suit is amazing in itself, if only for it's complete coverage with no zippers or seams showing. We got several good views of the Gill-man in this movie.

This was an older episode rebroadcast-you could tell by the "old" coffin. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Svengoolie also pointed out the actor inside the swimming Gill-man made a cameo as a scientist. R.O. wouldn't do that would he? 

The actor/swimmer certainly was slender. He did a fantastic job of acting....amazing considering it was only body language because he was encased in that suit.

The suit is amazing in itself, if only for it's complete coverage with no zippers or seams showing. We got several good views of the Gill-man in this movie.

This was an older episode rebroadcast-you could tell by the "old" coffin. 

Thanks Tiki for the above comments.

but before that one of my favorite 3rd season eps of original Star Trek

Star Trek is a great warm up for Svengoolie. It's amazing how well these hold up despite the sets, costumes & primitive effects.

I had realized just how much I love this show and went out and compiled DVDs of all 3 seasons. That way if I fall asleep mid-episode I can always just watch the DVD later. A few weeks ago featured Kirk in a fight with a look-alike. It was great to play it paused step by step and see the stuntman doubling for Kirk-he looked a lot like Shatner.

Saw a guy in a Svengoolie t-shirt last night at the 35mm screening of THE FLY. 

• Like 1

Saw a guy in a Svengoolie t-shirt last night at the 35mm screening of THE FLY. 

Sweet!  Tiki, is there a schedule posted somewhere that indicates which films Svengoolie is doing next on ME-TV?  I haven't checked to see if he has his own website...

There is http://svengoolie.com/ but generally only posts the movie the day before. If you get on his mailing list he'll send the month's schedule to your inbox. Very helpful because different regions show different movies. 

I can't believe there was such a hub-bub (here) over the CREATURE movies this past month. They were lou-say. Especially last night's THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US. The creature in clothing wearing a scaled down head mask was dumb.

If you watch the show, during a commercial break they'll announce next week's movie. Next week is SON OF DRACULA.

(yeah, last night's Star Trek episode was fun. Any **** in a great costume makes it)

• Like 1

There is http://svengoolie.com/ but generally only posts the movie the day before. If you get on his mailing list he'll send the month's schedule to your inbox. Very helpful because different regions show different movies. 

I can't believe there was such a hub-bub (here) over the CREATURE movies this past month. They were lou-say. Especially last night's THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US. The creature in clothing wearing a scaled down head mask was dumb.

If you watch the show, during a commercial break they'll announce next week's movie. Next week is SON OF DRACULA.

(yeah, last night's Star Trek episode was fun. Any **** in a great costume makes it)

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Has SON OF DRACULA ever aired on TCM, I wonder...?

The creature in clothing wearing a scaled down head mask was dumb.

True, but from a male perspective, Leigh Snowden in a bathing suit was worth the price of admission.

Son of Dracula next saturday on Svengoolie is a real treat. Definitely not your usual universal horror flick. Lon Chaney Jr. is adequate as Count Alucard but the real treat is Louise Allbritton with a black wig as a female vamp. The film has a very 1940s film noir look to it. It is set in the south even though no one has a dixie accent. I did not like it much as a kid but now I think Son of Dracula is pretty good. 

50mx3k.jpg