Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

I did not like it much as a kid but now I think Son of Dracula is pretty good. 

I loved it as a kid - it was the second movie I saw on Friday midnight's 'Shock Theater'. Very stylish and atmospheric - it's one of my favorites of the 1931-1945 era.

Son of Dracula next saturday on Svengoolie is a real treat. Definitely not your usual universal horror flick. Lon Chaney Jr. is adequate as Count Alucard but the real treat is Louise Allbritton with a black wig as a female vamp. The film has a very 1940s film noir look to it. It is set in the south even though no one has a dixie accent. I did not like it much as a kid but now I think Son of Dracula is pretty good. 

It's a great film, but I prefer his sister, in the first horror movie I ever saw on the old Shock Theater in NYC: Dracula's Daughter.

1936_DraculasDaughter_img16.JPG

02 Son of Dracula
AUG
09 Curse of the Undead

AUG
16 Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
AUG
23 Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
(featuring Boris Karloff!)
AUG
30 Mad Ghoul
(an encore of the very first show featuring the NEW Sven coffin!)

Since you all seem so interested in what he's showing.....

BTW, the Star Treks showing beforehand are in chronological order...they're on season 3 now.

I really enjoy seeing a Star Trek then a Universal movie as a double feature.

I can't believe this topic is still going  :D

Anyway my go to channel on TWC NY when TCM is not my cup of tea is GetTV (no old TV shows) here is their schedule:

Sunday, August 3

6:10AM/EDTSherlock Holmes: The Woman In Green90 min Crime, Drama, Horror, Mystery, Thriller 1945
Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce reprise their roles of British detective Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick Watson - this time investigating a series of murders of young women, each found with a missing finger.
Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Hillary Brooke, Henry Daniell, Paul Cavanagh, Matthew Boulton, Roy William Neill
7:45AM/EDTThe Young Don't Cry NOW PLAYING130 min Drama 1957
Dynamic star Sal Mineo, plays an unwitting teenager, used by convicted murderer Whitmore in his escape from a local prison. He takes a beating rather than reveal that Whitmore died of a bullet wound. Savannah locations are beautifully captured in some fine cinematography.
Sal Mineo, James Whitmore, J. Carroll Naish, Alfred L. Werker
10:00AM/EDTEscape From San Quentin110 min Drama 1957
Recording star Johnny Desmond plays a convict who breaks out of prison along with Devon and Engel. While Devon tries to contact his father to get the loot he had stashed before going in, Desmond takes up with Anders, the sister of his wife, who is divorcing him.
Merry Anders, Richard Devon, Johnny Desmond, Fred F. Sears
11:50AM/EDTFootsteps In The Fog120 min Drama, Foreign, Suspense, Thriller 1955
Granger murders his wife in turn-of-the-century London. He is discovered by maid Simmons, who has always secretly loved him. She blackmails her way into the housekeeper position, and Granger decides he has to kill her too. Pursuing her in the fog, he mistakes someone else for her and kills a stranger.
Stewart Granger, Jean Simmons, Bill Travers, Belinda Lee, Ronald Squire, Finlay Currie, William Hartnell, Arthur Lubin
1:50PM/EDTThe Chase180 min Crime, Drama 1966
The escape of Bubber Reeves from prison affects the inhabitants of a small Southern town.
Angie Dickinson, E.G. Marshall, James Fox, Jane Fonda, Marlon Brando, Robert Redford, Arthur Penn
4:50PM/EDTThe Swimmer130 min Drama 1968
An adman decides to swim home via his neighbors' pools.
Burt Lancaster, Janet Landgard, Janice Rule, Kim Hunter, Frank Perry
7:00PM/EDTSuddenly, Last Summer155 min Award Winning, Drama, Foreign 1959
A brilliant brain surgeon's treatment of a young girl's neuroses uncovers a dark family history that her wealthy aunt wants to bury forever.
Albert Dekker, Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Mercedes McCambridge, Montgomery Clift, Joseph L. Mankiewicz
9:35PM/EDTSuddenly, Last Summer155 min Award Winning, Drama, Foreign 1959
A brilliant brain surgeon's treatment of a young girl's neuroses uncovers a dark family history that her wealthy aunt wants to bury forever.
Albert Dekker, Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Mercedes McCambridge, Montgomery Clift, Joseph L. Mankiewicz
12:10AM/EDTThe Lone Wolf Takes A Chance100 min Action, Drama 1941
William bets Police Inspector Hall that he can stay out of trouble for 24 hours. But as usual, William finds himself caught in the middle of many outrageous situations, happening at breakneck speed. First, there's a murder, then a robbery of treasury engraving plates from a newly invented car, plus car chases, kidnapings and wild train rides.
Don Beddoe, Eric Blore, June Storey, Thurston Hall, Henry Wilcoxon, Warren William, Sidney Salkow
1:50AM/EDTThe Lone Wolf Keeps A Date90 min Drama 1941
The Lone Wolf, William, is in Havana and helps Robinson retrieve $10,000 that was stolen from her. The money is for her boy friend's release from prison for a crime he didn't commit. William locates the gang of crooks and plays both sides of the law in order to return the money to Robinson.
Eric Blore, Jed Prouty, Bruce Bennett, Thurston Hall, Warren William, Frances Robinson, Sidney Salkow
3:20AM/EDTCounter-Espionage95 min Comedy, Drama, Romance 1942
The Lone Wolf tracks down Nazi spies in London during the German bombing.
Eric Blore, Fred Kelsey, Thurston Hall, Forrest Tucker, Hillary Brooke, Warren William, Edward Dmytryk
4:55AM/EDTOne Dangerous Night105 min Action, Drama, Thriller 1943
Michael Lanyard, the Lone Wolf, finds body of murdered man and tries to capture the murderer.
Eric Blore, Mona Barrie, Tala Birell, Margaret Hayes, Warren William, Marguerite Chapman, Michael Gordon

BUMP  :D

Tonite Svengoolie gives us Curse of the Undead about a vampire gunman in a western town.

I have never really fully sat thru this one.  Was gonna pass on it until I noticed the female lead, the lovely Kathleen Crowley. I always wanna watch her so I'm gonna sit thru it tonite.  :)

kagto2.jpg

BUMP  :D

Tonite Svengoolie gives us Curse of the Undead about a vampire gunman in a western town.

I have never really fully sat thru this one.  Was gonna pass on it until I noticed the female lead, the lovely Kathleen Crowley. I always wanna watch her so I'm gonna sit thru it tonite.  :)

It's an entertaining film. Michael Pate is well-cast as the vampire gun for hire (Drake Robey, aka Drago Robles, aka it does sound a bit like Dracula), but everytime I saw Bruce Gordon, I expected Eliot Ness to show up.

It's an entertaining film. Michael Pate is well-cast as the vampire gun for hire (Drake Robey, aka Drago Robles, aka it does sound a bit like Dracula), but everytime I saw Bruce Gordon, I expected Eliot Ness to show up.

I didn't realize it had Eric Fleming, from TV's Rawhide.

Curse of the Undead is rarely shown, but it is available on youtube, which is where I saw it several weeks ago.  Hadn't seen it in decades.

I think one of the creepiest scenes in the film is when Pate is stalking John Hoyt. Pate's horse rears up in slow motion. Don't try that at home, by the way ... you can easily flip a horse over by doing that. It looked like a stunt double in that scene.

BUMP :P

Okay, Svengoolie's next tcm-disregarded offering is Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, a very interesting entry perhaps one of Universal's last truly imaginative ones. The movie opens with these two Burke & Hare types resurrecting the wolf man Larry Talbot from his mausoleum. Neat. The guy's got a game skull but he ain't dead just dormant I guess from all the wolfbane the locals stuck in the crypt with him. This film gives us some interesting lycanthropic trivia. Talbot's werewolf curse is apparently eternal and he can't ever die. I guess being comatose from that game skull would have his bod just layin' around any ol' place until a full moon animates him. Great way to start off the flick it is. So after some wolfishness the comatose Talbot comes into the care of the film's resident cardboard medical character. Later on said doctor tracks what he thinks is a disturbed Talbot to Vasaria where Wolfman Larry discovers the Frankenstein monster now played by Bela Lugosi. Lugosi's monster clumps around rather awkwardly being blind from the shenanigans at the close of Ghost of Frankenstein but of course no explanation for this is given in FMTWM. Shouldn't the now blind monster at least have the personality traits of Ygor now being Ygor? No and he don't talk none either. Makes alotta sense, right? Later on in the castle remains we see the young doctor juicing up this bulky electric console with a spinning neon wheel on top which also guested in The Invisible Woman. Also we get this jazz about the original Dr. Frankenstein's volume on the secrets of life and death, a dusty vault-enclosed book which puts in an appearance.in later films too. We get this crap about Frankenstein's artificial creation being juiced up for several lifetimes. Spiffy. During the climactic fight Bela really gets worked up with those facial expressions of his grimacing almost like he's got a migraine. Just too much electricity is all. :)

2pt8m5e.jpg

BUMP :P

Okay, Svengoolie's next tcm-disregarded offering is Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, a very interesting entry perhaps one of Universal's last truly imaginative ones. The movie opens with these two Burke & Hare types resurrecting the wolf man Larry Talbot from his mausoleum. Neat. The guy's got a game skull but he ain't dead just dormant I guess from all the wolfbane the locals stuck in the crypt with him. This film gives us some interesting lycanthropic trivia. Talbot's werewolf curse is apparently eternal and he can't ever die. I guess being comatose from that game skull would have his bod just layin' around any ol' place until a full moon animates him. Great way to start off the flick it is. So after some wolfishness the comatose Talbot comes into the care of the film's resident cardboard medical character. Later on said doctor tracks what he thinks is a disturbed Talbot to Vasaria where Wolfman Larry discovers the Frankenstein monster now played by Bela Lugosi. Lugosi's monster clumps around rather awkwardly being blind from the shenanigans at the close of Ghost of Frankenstein but of course no explanation for this is given in FMTWM. Shouldn't the now blind monster at least have the personality traits of Ygor now being Ygor? No and he don't talk none either. Makes alotta sense, right? Later on in the castle remains we see the young doctor juicing up this bulky electric console with a spinning neon wheel on top which also guested in The Invisible Woman. Also we get this jazz about the original Dr. Frankenstein's volume on the secrets of life and death, a dusty vault-enclosed book which puts in an appearance.in later films too. We get this crap about Frankenstein's artificial creation being juiced up for several lifetimes. Spiffy. During the climactic fight Bela really gets worked up with those facial expressions of his grimacing almost like he's got a migraine. Just too much electricity is all. :)

2pt8m5e.jpg

Apparently there originally were references to the Monster's blindness in the script, but these were cut from the finished film, along with Lugosi's dialogue. This was supposedly after a preview in which audiences laughed anytime the Monster spoke. I don't know that it was any more ridiculous than hearing Lugosi's voice coming out of Chaney's mouth at the end of Ghost Of Frankenstein, but we'll never know, as the footage has never been found.

Apparently there originally were references to the Monster's blindness in the script, but these were cut from the finished film, along with Lugosi's dialogue. This was supposedly after a preview in which audiences laughed anytime the Monster spoke. I don't know that it was any more ridiculous than hearing Lugosi's voice coming out of Chaney's mouth at the end of Ghost Of Frankenstein, but we'll never know, as the footage has never been found.

Why they didn't give Lionel Atwill a shot at playing the monster I'll never know. :D

Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman has the great operetta/"Festival of the New Wine" scene, sung by Adia Kuznetzoff, very well integrated into the plot. Kutzetnoff sings to Chaney and Massey:

"To them I toast come drink with me, that may they ever happy be,

and may they live eternally..."

Chaney goes crazy when he hears this, jumps up, grabs the singer, shouting:

"Eternally! I don't want to live eternally! Why did you say that to me?"

Very effective.

Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman has the great operetta/"Festival of the New Wine" scene, sung by Adia Kuznetzoff, very well integrated into the plot. Kutzetnoff sings to Chaney and Massey:

"To them I toast come drink with me, that may they ever happy be,

and may they live eternally..."

Chaney goes crazy when he hears this, jumps up, grabs the singer, shouting:

"Eternally! I don't want to live eternally! Why did you say that to me?"

Very effective.

A well-remembered scene to be sure and lets not forget Maria Ouspenskaya as the old gypsy woman Maleva who's son mauled Talbot in the first place. I've always been touched by the beautiful sentiment of Maleva  adopting Talbot as her surrogate son. She felt her son's pain and now she feels Talbot's pain. Chaney's Larry Talbot is a great tragic figure.