Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Someone help me out here, I can't think of any movie role with  the Duke wearing  glasses?   Maybe Clark Kent would wear an eye patch?

I just spotted another: Big Jake (1971) About 1:10 into the film

He's sitting around the campfire with Patrick Wayne and Christopher Mitchum.. Patrick is giving him a hard time about having been a ladies man in his younger years. The Duke picks up his glasses and puts them on. I could not find a pic of this - don't have the DVD.

BUMP :D

Tonite on Me-TV at ten Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman a winning univeral horror classic from 1943.

Larry Talbot discovers Frankenstein's undying monster this time portrayed by Bela Lugosi.

5d06xd.jpg

I really like the opening when these two scottish graverobbers unwittingly resurrect Talbot from the dead by removing the lid from his crypt and disturbing the wolfbane. Sir John Talbot's accursed son walks the earth again. :)

Never in my wildest dreams, seriously! I thought it would fade away after 5,000 views. And if it had, that would have been perfectly fine.

Well, it has not because this thread is an outlet. Me-TV is showing our beloved universal monster classics and tcm is not. :)

You know, I think Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man is really the last great universal monster flick. House of Frankenstein has it moments but I just could never buy John Carradine as Count Dracula on any level and House of Dracula is even dumber.

ilx7hc.jpg

You know, I think Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man is really the last great universal monster flick. House of Frankenstein has it moments but I just could never buy John Carradine as Count Dracula on any level and House of Dracula is even dumber.

Who you calling' dumb?

a573_35.JPG

Who you calling' dumb?

a573_35.JPG

Calling House of Dracula dumb I am. Talbot shows up in it after being shot as the wolf man by Elena Verdugo at the end of House of Frankenstein but what is dumb is Doctor Eidelmann (Onslow Stevens) chalking Talbot's lycanthropy up to a psychosis and telling him he can free him from an immortal curse by relieving cranial pressure with a hothouse fungi. BS :angry: Talbot was in his family crypt for four years in last nite's movie and John Carradine couldn't scare a mouse as Dracula. :lol:

Calling House of Dracula dumb I am. Talbot shows up in it after being shot as the wolf man by Elena Verdugo at the end of House of Frankenstein but what is dumb is Doctor Eidelmann (Onslow Stevems) chalking Talbot's lycanthropy up to a psychosis and telling him he can free him from an immortal curse can relieving cranial pressure with a hothouse fungi. BS :angry: Talbot was in his family crypt for four years in last nite's movie and John Carradine coudn't scare a mouse as Dracula.

I actually don't mind monsters showing up after they've presumably been killed in a previous movie. I prefer resolution in movies, unlike the 1980s horror films, which had to leave it ambiguous at the end in order to keep the franchise going.

Btw, Jane Adams, shown in the photo, died a few months ago. But speaking of dumb, I tried to watch FMTW last night. I had never seen Svengoolie. I couldn't bear him! Stupid, dumb, inane, sophomoric. I don't think TCM has anything to fear from ME-TV. Fortunately I have FMTW on Legacy Collection DVDs.

My favorite werewolf movie is Werewolf of London. Maybe Dr. Edelmann got his idea about the fungi from the mariphasa lupina lumina.

I actually don't mind monsters showing up after they've presumably been killed in a previous movie. I prefer resolution in movies, unlike the 1980s horror films, which had to leave it ambiguous at the end in order to keep the franchise going.

Btw, Jane Adams, shown in the photo, died a few months ago. But speaking of dumb, I tried to watch FMTW last night. I had never seen Svengoolie. I couldn't bear him! Stupid, dumb, inane, sophomoric. I don't think TCM has anything to fear from ME-TV. Fortunately I have FMTW on Legacy Collection DVDs.

Well, I would be dumb to disagree with you about Svengoolie. :lol: Problem with HOD even then Universal was starting to go the scientific route which would become a dominant theme for them throughout the 1950s. I mean scientifically trying to explain away lycanthropy like that. Are we just suppose to forget Talbot being in his crypt for four years? Respect continuity! that's my motto. :)

I mean scientifically trying to explain away lycanthropy like that. Are we just suppose to forget Talbot being in his crypt for four years? Respect continuity! that's my motto. :)

Science has crept in before. In the first horror film I ever saw -- Dracula's Daughter, on the old Shock Theatre -- she goes to a psychiatrist.

Retro TV had THE GIANT GILA MONSTER (a MST 3000 rerun) on earlier this evening.

What? Are Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes in syndication? Yay! I sure miss them!

Or are you just saying that GIANT GILA MONSTER movie was once featured on MST3K?

Brrrrp! I mean BUMP :)

Well, this week it's The Mad Ghoul with George Zucco who turns his assistant into a mindless cousin of Lurch. :D

uahhz.jpg

The Mad Ghoul features Evelyn Ankers singing "I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls," one of the great horror movie musical interludes, and very touching in context. I won't be watching it tonight -- I can't bear Svengoolie -- but it is online:

http://www.classicmoviesez.com/ClassicShowIt.asp?ChannelName=The%20Mad%20Ghoul%20(1943)&VideoTAG=Public%20Domain%20%20David%20Bruce,%20Evelyn%20Ankers%20and%20George%20Zucco&Channel=889&keyword=Dorothy%20Lamour&MENU=HM&DisplayMode=TEXT&PageNumber=6&PageToGo=1&OriginalURL=ClassicChannelsLIST.asp&NewCHANNELS=FALSE&MostVIEWED=FALSE&VideoCategory=36&Search=FALSE

Retro TV had THE GIANT GILA MONSTER (a MST 3000 rerun) on earlier this evening.

What? Are Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes in syndication? Yay! I sure miss them!

Or are you just saying that GIANT GILA MONSTER movie was once featured on MST3K?

Retro had the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode featuring THE GIANT GILA  MONSTER.

Well, I'll tell ya. watched the mad ghoul a few times as a kid. never could really appreciate it though. just how scared and worked up can you get over a pre-lurch made-up David Bruce? Evelyn Ankers and Turhan Bey I think deserved each other. The great George Zucco could be evil and nefarious in his sleep. Svengoolie's lame comedy was difficult as usual to hafta sit through but that one jocko the miracle monkey skit did make me laugh. who cares about that idiot's new coffin? about the movie, the mayan death-vapor I get, I think, but why was Zucco goin' all over the place with Bruce the lurch performing...cardioscomies? (I think that's it) on buried stiffs? what exactly did Zucco wanna do? refine a mayan death-vapor? why? didn't seem to help the monkey too much. So? So I'm all for replacin' Svengoolie with Jocko the miracle monkey, alive or dead. :) chirpy little jocko would certainly be a lot funnier.

But it was fun when Zucco and assistant lurch got the better of Robert Armstrong. They just couldn't appreciate McClure puttin' his heart into his work. :)

uahhz.jpg