Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

holy shat!

me-tv is airing (4:00 a.m. cst) an episode of 'the green hornet'.

i love bruce lee.

he's one of the very few non-american born individuals who has become an 'american' icon (in some circles).

yeah, I noticed that. watched werewolf of london with Henry Hull. interesting but director stuart walker sure weren't no james whale. next weeks feature the thing that couldn't die is a good one. :)

yeah, I noticed that. watched werewolf of london with Henry Hull. interesting but director stuart walker sure weren't no james whale. next weeks feature the thing that couldn't die is a good one. :)

The Thing That Couldn't Die is a good one. Thanks for the tip. I meant to catch the newly arrived Adventures of Superman yesterday at 6 PM but nodded off - missed the two episodes. Tonight - ALL night long - is great stuff. Columbo and Mission: Impossible are my favorites.

MeTV is everything I was expecting from TV Land but never got.

Edited: Changed Wouldn't to Couldn't

I taped the first 2 episodes of Superman @ 6 last night. They did start with season 1 episode1 &2, They  were a hoot.  So glad they're showing the re-runs. Naked City, Mr. Lucky, Peter Gunn and Route66 are my favorites. ME-TV seems to change the schedule every 6 months beginning around this time of the year. Haven't checked but I hope that the Sunday night noir line-up will still be on.

The Thing That Wouldn't Die is a good one. Thanks for the tip. I meant to catch the newly arrived Adventures of Superman yesterday at 6 PM but nodded off - missed the two episodes. Tonight - ALL night long - is great stuff. Columbo and Mission: Impossible are my favorites.

MeTV is everything I was expecting from TV Land but never got.

yeah, I'm kinda torn there. I wanna watch the monkey flicks on tcm but that columbo ep is a good one. Richard Kiley is Columbo's boss and he and a neighbor murder their wives and columbo has alotta fun gettin' on his boss' nerves. I kinda doan wanna miss that. think what I'll do is watch the spaceship crash and their subsequent trek thru the forbidden zone and when Taylor and his cohorts decide to wash up I'll switch over to columbo. that columbo ep is just to good to miss.

tonite's offering is something of a favorite of mine and a bit of a curiosity too. I mean how many supernatural thrillers did universal-international make in the late 1950s? it was mostly sci-fi with them. the intro music is recycled from alot of their 50s sci-fi flicks but because this is one of your minor yarns it's okay. :) pretty good ghoulishness in places. I always enjoy it when big Mike the idiot who gets routinely made fun of by cowboy Hank the foreman sticks Hank with a mumblypeg knife after Gideon Drew's head takes over...nice carpet-ruining blood stain too. :) anyway Gideon Drew's head and Mike carrying it have a whole lotta fun before Mike now pegged as a homicidal idiot berserker gets taken out by police bullets at the behest of the head. so Mike just tottles off to get plugged. the head's carrier is now the dark-haired babe. never mind the chest now all the psychic girl's aunt wants is that coffin. Soon head and coffin-extracated body are happily reunited. :) For those few minutes at the end english actor Robin Hughes delivers some great payoff lines as resurrected warlock Gideon Drew. "Who will be first?" he asks of those unfortunates assembled. then the psychic girl's hero boyfriend has to stick a gaudy spanish rosary in Drew's face and he gets to finally become a skeleton by falling back into his coffin. :) oh well, he wouldn't have liked the 20th century anyway. After getting a load of TV he would've exclaimed "what in hell am I doing here?" :D

2el9tap.jpg

• Like 1

Watching The Adventures of Superman right now - and am craving Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and bologna sandwiches on Wonder Bread with mayo. I don't eat like this any more, but I can still watch Superman.

:)

I can't believe this thread is still going on. Almost 3 months ! I stopped reading it ages ago.

TB must be pleased.

It's evolved into a weekly discussion of what Svengoolie is showing on ME-TV (and that's perfectly fine-- certainly less controversial).

me-tv runs the 'naked city' noirs here in milwaukee late nights; they're great!

i also check out 'antenna-tv' shown here.

late last night, they aired 'the rogues' (charles boyer and david niven!) and 'the ford television theatre' programs.

they are my 'go tos' whenever tcm televises any turkeys.

It's evolved into a weekly discussion of what Svengoolie is showing on ME-TV (and that's perfectly fine-- certainly less controversial).

Top Billed, last night's offering was hilarious! You've never seen a head get ahead like the head in The Thing That Couldn't Die got ahead.

Plus, nubile young women with perfect hair in filmy peignoir sets - what more could anyone want from a movie???

I've actually come to like Svengoolie - he did a Ronco commercial takeoff for a Stickette that was very funny. Apparently the women in the movie used divining rods to find I have no idea what, I turned the stupid thing off, but I guess they found the head with it. Did anyone have the stomach to watch until the end? Did the head find a body?

I'm glad at least Bela Lugosi hadn't reached the point where he played the head. Then again, he was probably dead.

they are my 'go tos' whenever tcm televises any turkeys.

That's most of the time for me. Though up here, there's no me or antenna-tv to watch. Not that I would, generally speaking - but I'd probably watch Svengoolie. I love old-timey horror hosts.

Top Billed, last night's offering was hilarious! You've never seen a head get ahead like the head in The Thing That Couldn't Die got ahead.

Plus, nubile young women with perfect hair in filmy peignoir sets - what more could anyone want from a movie???

I've actually come to like Svengoolie - he did a Ronco commercial takeoff for a Stickette that was very funny. Apparently the women in the movie used divining rods to find I have no idea what, I turned the stupid thing off, but I guess they found the head with it. Did anyone have the stomach to watch until the end? Did the head find a body?

I'm glad at least Bela Lugosi hadn't reached the point where he played the head. Then again, he was probably dead.

all I can say is you missed a great movie, primosprimos. it was as svengoolie said way ahead of it's time. a correction first, got the names wrong I did. Hank was the dark-haired babe's painter boyfriend and the cowboy who gets mumblypegged by Mike is Boyd. serves 'em right too. his greed set events in motion. first, he prevails on weak in the rafters mike to pry open the chest and has the audacity to sneak into fellow greedster aunt flavia's bedroom, mutilates her pocketbook with the same knife mike is gonna stick him with and takes the key which ironically won't be needed. some of these people are kinda unnecessarily temperamental if you ask me. aunt flavia behaves as if her greed is somehow her social prerogative and jessica supposedly the nice girl makes tree limbs fall. she starts off divining for water. aunt flavia must not have wanted to put out for a contractor. after Gideon is restored they think they can rush a guy they can't shoot. luckily Gordon got the talisman back from jessica. after Drew falls back into his coffin they knew he was finished and skeletonized. Svengoolie's skits were none too bad neither. :)

all I can say is you missed a great movie, primosprimos. it was as svengoolie said way ahead of it's time. a correction first, got the names wrong I did. Hank was the dark-haired babe's painter boyfriend and the cowboy who gets mumblypegged by Mike is Boyd. serves 'em right too. his greed set events in motion. first, he prevails on weak in the rafters mike to pry open the chest and has the audacity to sneak into fellow greedster aunt flavia's bedroom, mutilates her pocketbook with the same knife mike is gonna stick him with and takes the key which ironically won't be needed. some of these people are kinda unnecessarily temperamental if you ask me. aunt flavia behaves as if her greed is somehow her social prerogative and jessica supposedly the nice girl makes tree limbs fall. she starts off divining for water. aunt flavia must not have wanted to put out for a contractor. after Gideon is restored they think they can rush a guy they can't shoot. luckily Gordon got the talisman back from jessica. after Drew falls back into his coffin they knew he was finished and skeletonized. Svengoolie's skits were none too bad neither. :)

Wowza! You think the writers had a nip or two (or three) whilst making all that up?!

Hey, as long as tcm is of a mind to constantly favor us with a lot of their favorites many of us will just switch over to svengoolie and watch his turkeys instead.

Well said.

Now there's a sentence! :)

Thanks, TB.

What, primos?! Not gonna acknowledge you kind'a "borrowed" that sentence from one of Svengoolie's skits last night??? 

Yeah, I watched it last night too. ;)

(...oh, and ND...what say we place a name to that "dark-haired babe" you mentioned earlier: "Andra Martin"...and yeah, she sure was a babe alright...though probably NOT the sharpest knife in the ol' drawer in real life, 'cause as Svengoolie mentioned last night, she was once married to Ty Hardin...a guy who's about as crazy as they come!!!)

Apparently the local stations that carry the ME TV programming (I get ME TV from a station out of  Wilmington, Delaware ???)  have the option to insert local programs when they want. Tonight at 10 pm the good people from Wilmington?  are preempting THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.  for some local program. I would be incensed about this but I do have the entire U.N.C.L.E. series on DVD.  And at the same  Sunday 10 pm time slot Antenna tv is showing WKRP In Cincinnati , so I don't have to face the dilemma of which of my all time favorite tv shows I am going to watch.  By the way in the very near future Shout Factory is issuing the entire WKRP series (complete and with most of the original music background restored) in a DVD set.  Christmas is coming early for this guy!

What, primos?! Not gonna acknowledge you kind'a "borrowed" that sentence from one of Svengoolie's skits last night??? 

Yeah, I watched it last night too. ;)

(...oh, and ND...what say we place a name to that "dark-haired babe" you mentioned earlier: "Andra Martin"...and yeah, she sure was a babe alright...though probably NOT the sharpest knife in the ol' drawer in real life, 'cause as Svengoolie mentioned last night, she was once married to Ty Hardin...a guy who's about as crazy as they come!!!)

Not gonna acknowledge you kind'a "borrowed" that sentence from one of Svengoolie's skits last night???

If I did, it was serendipitous. The only 'skit' I saw was him selling the Stickette, funny stuff.

Guess great snarky minds think alike. You never know, maybe he stole it from me.

Didn't realize we were both Boomers. I bet he grew up with Chicago's version of Joe Pyne and Alan Burke and Soupy Sales and Uncle Floyd and Sandy Becker.

Darkblue said: I love old-timey horror hosts.

Since I've seen all these movies a zillion times, it finally dawned on me it was the "horror host" thing that reeled me in. Super corny, but fun. It was suggested my love of horror hosts is because I watch movies alone-the host acts as a movie partner.

I just saw my very favorite hosts (MST3K) speaking on a panel at a convention and the subject of film rights came up. They mentioned sometimes a song in a film can hold up release....especially if the song was written in the salad days by someone who became mildly famous.

WKRP was specifically mentioned as a "rights" nightmare. 

And speaking of antenna TV....I need to find out if there's any kind of "boosters" available.....MST repeats are shown on a station 50 miles from here.