Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

.. I just saw my very favorite hosts (MST3K) speaking on a panel at a convention and the subject of film rights came up. They mentioned sometimes a song in a film can hold up release....especially if the song was written in the salad days by someone who became mildly famous.

WKRP was specifically mentioned as a "rights" nightmare. 

And speaking of antenna TV....I need to find out if there's any kind of "boosters" available.....MST repeats are shown on a station 50 miles from here.

We're sending a man right over. :P 

2po2qyq.jpg

We're sending a man right over. :P 

2po2qyq.jpg

LOL

You forgot to add, "Valued Customer", at the end here, Kid!

(...though I DO realize doin' it with a Punjabi accent IS kind'a hard in text form)

Since I've seen all these movies a zillion times, it finally dawned on me it was the "horror host" thing that reeled me in. Super corny, but fun. It was suggested my love of horror hosts is because I watch movies alone-the host acts as a movie partner.

I think that is a very astute observation, Tiki. I would agree. But the host (or hostess, like Elvira) has to be charismatic.

Yes, I shoulda mentioned ol' Broddy. :) I don't know if I've ever seen this film. Hopefully it will be more interesting than Lugosi skinnin' Karloff. :D

I watched THE BLACK CAT last night. I must have seen it before, because parts looked rather familiar. An interesting bit of trivia is that Marlene Dietrich has an uncredited cameo (from the back). She stood in for Claire Dodd in one shot.  The cinematography is superb and Orson Welles hired the cinematographer to work on THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS.

I turned it off after about 20 minutes and got caught up in The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit on MOVIES! maybe I shoulda stuck with it longer. Didn't really mind Hugh Herbert and his woo-hoos all that much. Did he get on Gale Sondergaard's nerves later on? Hey, Alan Ladd was in the picture too. :)

BUMP :D

Back! with half a heart and half a lung and all the guts in the world It's back!

This most viewed TopBilled thread. :)

well gang, tonite it be The Monster and The Girl fom 1941.

with a cast of several. :)

including the great Paul Lukas and George Zucco.

mad scientist Zucco puts dead guy's brain in gorilla then gorilla revenges itself.

sounds fun. :)

2h5ip8p.jpg

• Like 1

2h5ip8p.jpg

Never heard of it. It's worth noting that this is one of the 700 Paramount releases that are now owned by Universal. And look at that supporting cast-- Ellen Drew; Robert Paige; Joseph Calleia; and one of my favorites, Rod Cameron (who later made a name for himself in westerns at Universal and Republic).

Never heard of it. It's worth noting that this is one of the 700 Paramount releases that are now owned by Universal. And look at that supporting cast-- Ellen Drew; Robert Paige; Joseph Calleia; and one of my favorites, Rod Cameron (who later made a name for himself in westerns at Universal and Republic).

And you make no mention of the great Onslow Stevens? Actually, I have heard of this film, but I always confuse it with The Lady and the Monster. 

Someone mentioned Gale Sondergaard. Where is The Spider Woman Strikes Back, that staple of the old Shock Theater? This scene of Gale (Zenobia Dollard) and Rondo Hatton feeding the human blood-drinking plant outdoes The Little Shop of Horrors!

BUMP :D

Back! with half a heart and half a lung and all the guts in the world It's back!

This most viewed TopBilled thread. :)

well gang, tonite it be The Monster and The Girl fom 1941.

with a cast of several. :)

including the great Paul Lukas and George Zucco.

mad scientist Zucco puts dead guy's brain in gorilla then gorilla revenges itself.

sounds fun. :)

2h5ip8p.jpg

did not care for it at all. coulda done without the noirish crap and Phillip Terry delivers his lines like a robot. must say I enjoyed vttbots ep "the phantom strikes" with alfred ryder as a u-boat ghost a lot more I did. :)

did not care for it at all. coulda done without the noirish crap and Phillip Terry delivers his lines like a robot. must say I enjoyed vttbots ep "the phantom strikes" with alfred ryder as a u-boat ghost a lot more I did. :)

Phillip Terry would soon marry Joan Crawford after this picture was released. Of course, he would not exactly become a household name and four years later he was no longer Mr. Crawford.

We get Me-TV now, my husband insists on watching "Wonder Woman" every Saturday night.   :P

Svengoolie is very cheesy, but I LOVE those old Universal horror flicks!  Great fare for a weekend night.  

"The Essentials" just doesn't do it for me anymore.  Usually it's some flick that's been shown to death on TCM already, or some crap like Peter Sellers (blecch).  So I am glad for the diversion!  

We get Me-TV now, my husband insists on watching "Wonder Woman" every Saturday night.   :P

Svengoolie is very cheesy, but I LOVE those old Universal horror flicks!  Great fare for a weekend night.  

"The Essentials" just doesn't do it for me anymore.  Usually it's some flick that's been shown to death on TCM already, or some crap like Peter Sellers (blecch).  So I am glad for the diversion!  

I hear what you're saying. TCM offers a lot of great films to its viewers, but the Essentials series is in need of an overhaul.  I hope the TCM programmers start to realize they need more Paramount, Universal and Republic essentials on Saturday nights to off-set the ones in the Turner Library that have been played too frequently.

I hear what you're saying. TCM offers a lot of great films to its viewers, but the Essentials series is in need of an overhaul.  I hope the TCM programmers start to realize they need more Paramount, Universal and Republic essentials on Saturday nights to off-set the ones in the Turner Library that have been played too frequently.

Top Billed:  Agree 100%...actually I now spend Saturday and Sundays with Me-TV..I love Svengoolie as he reminds me of those old Kids' TV shows built around movies, and on Sunday when TCM is a snoozer I am now able to watch Columbo, A Man from U.N.C.L.E, Mission Impossible and other goodies.  

I am impressed with the passage of time concomitant with the luxury of video tape as I am able to see David McCallum in his 20's and then switch to NCIS and see him in his 70's, looking just as good and with just as great a vocabulary. 

If TCM doesn't readjust some of its practices soon and pay attention to loyal viewers they will soon see a cry off ...I couldn't believe last night when they had Manhattan and Barcelona on...since when do those films classify as classics (pardon the phrasing).  I also agree with the Essentials, repeating it what??!!.. two or three times through-out the year is a waste of my time.  I too watch Wonder Women.  I also hope they procure the services of a different Essentials co-host...somehow Bob and Drew have become a "love-fest" for each other and quite frankly it turns me off. 

Top Billed:  Agree 100%...actually I now spend Saturday and Sundays with Me-TV..I love Svengoolie as he reminds me of those old Kids' TV shows built around movies, and on Sunday when TCM is a snoozer I am now able to watch Columbo, A Man from U.N.C.L.E, Mission Impossible and other goodies.  

Love Peter Falk. Love Columbo. Classic television at its best.

I am impressed with the passage of time concomitant with the luxury of video tape as I am able to see David McCallum in his 20's and then switch to NCIS and see him in his 70's, looking just as good and with just as great a vocabulary. 

If TCM doesn't readjust some of its practices soon and pay attention to loyal viewers they will soon see a cry off ...I couldn't believe last night when they had Manhattan and Barcelona on...since when do those films classify as classics (pardon the phrasing).  I also agree with the Essentials, repeating it what??!!.. two or three times through-out the year is a waste of my time.  I too watch Wonder Women.  I also hope they procure the services of a different Essentials co-host...somehow Bob and Drew have become a "love-fest" for each other and quite frankly it turns me off. 

all of this crap is because of tcm's hoy-faloy film festival pleasure cruise mindset. they have forgotten about us. the peaple aka. the american and canadian cable viewers. that manhattan slash barcelona stuff is indicative of a disconnect...at their end and not ours. time for tcm to pull their heads outta their butts.

I'm sorry but that's what I think. :)

all of this crap is because of tcm's hoy-faloy film festival pleasure cruise mindset. they have forgotten about us. the peaple aka. the american and canadian cable viewers. that manhattan slash barcelona stuff is indicative of a disconnect...at their end and not ours. time for tcm to pull their heads outta their butts.

Now NipkowDisc...I know what you think but I don't believe there is a need to express it so graphically...after all this is for classic movie lovers, shouldn't we love classic language as well?

But you are doing much more then just saying what you think.   Instead you claim to be the representive of some type of group.  e.g. the use of 'us' , 'the people aka' and 'ours'. 

Unless you have polling data you don't know how the majority of TCM viewers feel about TCM showing movies you consider to be 'crap'.     But some people at this forum have posted that they enjoyed those movies and the fact that TCM has variety (more than just movies from the 30s - 60s).  

• Like 1

I do see some of what you're saying. The festival and cruise stuff, to me, is their attempt to become more of a lifestyle-type channel. It doesn't always fit with the 24-hour classic movie channel originally envisioned by Ted Turner. Still, I think we should cut them a little slack, because they are trying to find new ways to make classic film relevant to the so-called "mainstream audience," even if some attempts are slightly misguided.

But you are doing much more then just saying what you think.   Instead you claim to be the representive of some type of group.  e.g. the use of 'us' , 'the people aka' and 'ours'. 

Unless you have polling data you don't know how the majority of TCM viewers feel about TCM showing movies you consider to be 'crap'.     But some people at this forum have posted that they enjoyed those movies and the fact that TCM has variety (more than just movies from the 30s - 60s).  

Agree, intuitively the demographic of TCM is inevitably going to shift in 10, 20 years, the term classic is going to be covered by an even bigger tent, one persons crap is another's gold. Maybe, just maybe it might be better if we had scheduled time periods for various genres and decades. 30s in the AM, to post 60s after 10PM. Or do it by days of the week. That way, nobody would be blindsided by what ever brand of crap happens to be on.  ;)

Agree, intuitively the demographic of TCM is inevitably going to shift in 10, 20 years, the term classic is going to be covered by an even bigger tent, one persons crap is another's gold. Maybe, just maybe it might be better if we had scheduled time periods for various genres and decades. 30s in the AM, to post 60s after 10PM. Or do it by days of the week. That way, nobody would be blindsided by what ever brand of crap happens to be on.  ;)

It seems to me they're doing that now, because most nights when I get home from work around midnight, they're ain't nuthin on that I would ever watch.