Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

It seems to me they're doing that now, because most nights when I get home from work around midnight, they're ain't nuthin on that I would ever watch.

Maybe the schedule has to be fine tuned, I like watching Noirs at night, middle of the afternoon or early morning seems so wrong. Retired folks can watch TCM all day long, seems that's a no brainer as far as programming. I guess its going to all hinge on the definition of "nuthin:)

I do see some of what you're saying. The festival and cruise stuff, to me, is their attempt to become more of a lifestyle-type channel. It doesn't always fit with the 24-hour classic movie channel originally envisioned by Ted Turner. Still, I think we should cut them a little slack, because they are trying to find new ways to make classic film relevant to the so-called "mainstream audience," even if some attempts are slightly misguided.

Truly amazing to me how some people seem to think that what TCM has done trying to expand their audience while at the same time giving many fans a chance to meet old time movie stars, and others involved in the movie making process and see wonderful classic films on the big screen in Hollywood and go on wonderful cruises would stoop so low as to indicate that they are somehow misguided in these attempts.

I think that whenever TCM gets a chance to do whatever they can do to expnad the appeal of their channel, whether that be cruises or the film festival, I say that is a good thing. The programming can only do so much as evidence by comments made by Charlie Tabesh time and time again.

If TCM doesn't readjust some of its practices soon and pay attention to loyal viewers they will soon see a cry off ...I couldn't believe last night when they had Manhattan and Barcelona on...since when do those films classify as classics (pardon the phrasing).  I also agree with the Essentials, repeating it what??!!.. two or three times through-out the year is a waste of my time.  I too watch Wonder Women.  I also hope they procure the services of a different Essentials co-host...somehow Bob and Drew have become a "love-fest" for each other and quite frankly it turns me off. 

The whole idea behind the Essentials from the beginning was to showcase certain types of films TCM and their programming staff thought would be guides to classic films. Of course as the channel has gotten older some of the Essentials shown are from more recent decades. This has always been the case. And that for the everyday viewer of TCM, the Essentials was not really meant for that kind of viewer. It was meant to show newer viewers what film essentials were all about.

As far as the repeats are concerned, I may be wrong about this but I do seem to recall reading that most essential films only get shown no more than twice a season.

Truly amazing to me how some people seem to think that what TCM has done trying to expand their audience while at the same time giving many fans a chance to meet and see wonderful classic films on the big screen in Hollywood and go on wonderful cruises would stoop so low as to indicate that they are somehow misguided in these attampts. You really do remind me of the guy who is in the oval office.... all knowing, seems to think he has all of the answers, talks down to certain people because they might think that they have some pretty good ideas themselves and of course the really big one, does not like it when people disagree with him.

There's no need to be so rude or to make it personal. I thought my earlier comment in the thread was very balanced. I was lauding what TCM seems to do right (which is bringing classic film to as many people as possible in as many ways as possible) but also being honest about what doesn't seem to work with regards to some of its marketing strategies. I know that I cannot reach out and help those who get upset if the slightest criticism is posted about TCM. But a lot of folks who read these message boards are reasonable adults who can see that TCM is still perfecting its programming and marketing. It is balanced and accurate to say that. Now, a quick glance in my crystal ball says that this comment will generate a reply and I can push this thread easily to 25,000 views by arguing back and forth here. I am not going to do that, because I am selfish and want to save the time and energy for a few other pursuits. Thanks.

I will be more specific. I do not object to tcm airing manhattan and barcelona but the time for that recent obscure fare is in the early morning hours. showing that type of fare in primetime is only going to drive the vast majority of regular tcm viewers away. showing manhattan and barcelona in primetime makes about as much sense as scheduling Haxan for 9 am xmas morning. :lol:

I will be more specific. I do not object to tcm airing manhattan and barcelona but the time for that recent obscure fare is in the early morning hours. showing that type of fare in primetime is only going to drive the vast majority of regular tcm viewers away. showing manhattan and barcelona in primetime makes about as much sense as scheduling Haxan for 9 am xmas morning. :lol:

The problem I see is that some programming choices indicate the channel is trying to appeal to a too broad and too diverse target audience-- and what happens is those people come for what they like to see, and leave after that because TCM has switched to another more obscure set of films and that other target audience the next night. 

There's no need to be so rude or to make it personal. I thought my earlier comment in the thread was very balanced. I was lauding what TCM seems to do right (which is bringing classic film to as many people as possible in as many ways as possible) but also being honest about what doesn't seem to work with regards to some of its marketing strategies. I know that I cannot reach out and help those who get upset if the slightest criticism is posted about TCM. But a lot of folks who read these message boards are reasonable adults who can see that TCM is still perfecting its programming and marketing. It is balanced and accurate to say that. Now, a quick glance in my crystal ball says that this comment will generate a reply and I can push this thread easily to 25,000 views by arguing back and forth here. I am not going to do that, because I am selfish and want to save the time and energy for a few other pursuits. Thanks.

I am just going to post this one reply to you and you'll just have to argue with yourself, okay?

Obviously I was not quick enough to make my edits to my post to you. Having said this now I wished I had left well enough alone and just left my comments the way I originally wrote them.

I am NOT being rude. In fact I think what I wrote originally could be considered a compliment of sorts. You do stroll around here looking to make the most ingenious comments than anyone else can or would make. And for some reason you think that a thread with almost 23,000 views is a great accomplishment.

It would be a great accomplishment if your thread here had more than 10% actual comments instead of the paltry 3.55% the thread has as of now. I wonder why there aren't anymore replies to this thread than other threads with far less views have? What do you think? Do you really subscribe to the point of view that creating a thread just to gather the most views is more important than gathering the most responses??

I wonder.

The problem I see is that some programming choices indicate the channel is trying to appeal to a too broad and too diverse target audience-- and what happens is those people come for what they like to see, and leave after that because TCM has switched to another more obscure set of films and that other target audience the next night. 

The only indication that people are upset with the programming on TCM is on the message boards. Which if I understand correctly usually has no more than about 20 people making comments at any point during the day. Yes, there are times when that number swells, probably to about 30 at most. But most of the people doing the complaining here abouts are the same people who complain most of the time. Otherwise there is NO clear indication from ANY source just how many people watch TCM or why they leave TCM to go to other channels like Me-TV.

And until TCM starts showing commercials, we may never know what those numbers are.

I am just going to post this one reply to you and you'll just have to argue with yourself, okay?

Obviously I was not quick enough to make my edits to my post to you. Having said this now I wished I had left well enough alone and just left my comments the way I originally wrote them.

I am NOT being rude. In fact I think what I wrote originally could be considered a compliment of sorts. You do stroll around here looking to make the most ingenious comments than anyone else can or would make. And for some reason you think that a thread with almost 23,000 views is a great accomplishment.

It would be a great accomplishment if your thread here had more than 10% actual comments instead of the paltry 3.55% the thread has as of now. I wonder why there aren't anymore replies to this thread than other threads with far less views have? What do you think? Do you really subscribe to the point of view that creating a thread just to gather the most views is more important than gathering the most responses??

I wonder.

more views or more responses? all the same to tcm. the artsy hoy-faloy cinema verite greenwich villagers come first. :)

now that i think about it, tcm has been doing this for years now.

therefore, i'll quit my effen complaining.       smh.gif

Agree, intuitively the demographic of TCM is inevitably going to shift in 10, 20 years, the term classic is going to be covered by an even bigger tent, one persons crap is another's gold. Maybe, just maybe it might be better if we had scheduled time periods for various genres and decades. 30s in the AM, to post 60s after 10PM. Or do it by days of the week. That way, nobody would be blindsided by what ever brand of crap happens to be on.  ;)

It seems to me they're doing that now, because most nights when I get home from work around midnight, they're ain't nuthin on that I would ever watch.

I know that I cannot reach out and help those who get upset if the slightest criticism is posted about TCM.

Best not to read their posts, TB. The TCM flag wavers have always, do now, and always will praise every move TCM makes.

Yes, of course, much of it is junk, and yes, of course, the flag wavers will scream and writhe on the floor, mouths afoam, when the brilliant suggestion of a TCM Classic channel is proposed, leaving the junk on TCM Original.

My teevee gets a nice rest when the junk is on. :lol: Then TCM remembers what it was sent here to do and puts on Trixie Friganza. :wub:

What I notice a lot of TCM "complainers" do is focus on their own personal viewing preferences without really considering different views of others.

I started watching TCM upon it's inception and after a dozen years of daily viewing (I'd work an 8 hour shift with TCM on) anyone would hit overload. The library is finite and you can only watch the same movie so many times. 

The programmers try to keep things fresh, but it is ME who has changed, not the channel.  WHY would I expect TCM to change to suit my needs?

There are so many others who are just discovering the joys of classic film, and TCM is a wonderful channel for them to see all sorts of movies of the past; good, not-so-good and historically important movies.

If you've had your fill of TCM fare and enjoy other network's offerings-great for you. But please don't think you speak for everyone.

And stop getting mad at TCM for not showing what YOU want. Some things are beyond their control.

Realize, they must air everything bought in the distributer's "package"- it's dictated by the distributer, not the buyer.

• Like 2

I know that I cannot reach out and help those who get upset if the slightest criticism is posted about TCM.

Best not to read their posts, TB. The TCM flag wavers have always, do now, and always will praise every move TCM makes.

Yes, of course, much of it is junk, and yes, of course, the flag wavers will scream and writhe on the floor, mouths afoam, when the brilliant suggestion of a TCM Classic channel is proposed, leaving the junk on TCM Original.

My teevee gets a nice rest when the junk is on. :lol: Then TCM remembers what it was sent here to do and puts on Trixie Friganza. :wub:

Yes, we the TCM flag waivers just get sooo upset and have foam at our mouths whenever anyone dares to speak against the holiness that is TCM.....

There is just one problem with your opinion. It is flawed.

We, the supposed flag waivers of TCM aren't so much getting upset whenever anyone disparages TCM, but in fact try to set the record straight for many of you who constantly complain about the goings on at TCM.

One way we do this is we try and bring a sense of order and logic to the conversations here. I don’t know how often I have copied and pasted remarks made by the programming chief of TCM, Charlie Tabesh who has clearly gone on record to explain just how TCM goes about acquiring films and how they must conform to the demands of the distributors whom TCM gets their films from.

Its not just how TCM must agree to purchase a certain amount of films, but also not every film is available.

This has been written several hundred times here on the boards. People complain as if TCM can just go down to their video store on the corner and rent whichever film they want to. It does not work that way, and by now all of you should know this.

Tiki is right. TCM purchases blocks of films and in many cases in that one block of films, there might be several stinkers that TCM must show multiple times throughout the year just in order to show one or two films that they wanted to show in the first place.

That is what’s so discouraging about some of the complaints on this thread. No matter how much actual factual information that is given out there is still a core group of people who are willing to believe that TCM is not living up to the standards that they believe the channel should be adhering to. No amount of facts or logic will persuade some folks from believing what they believe.

As far as a second Classic TCM channel, again that topic has been discussed at length. Several reasons suggest that it would never happen. Especially now that Time Warner has instituted severe cuts at their corporate channels.

As far as the comments I wrote in my original post to Top Billed, I apologize for what I wrote.

But still the message is clear from several others here. No amount of factual information will ever be believed simply because some folks do not live in reality. And this is sad.

So whenever you folks who believe in what you think is going on at TCM, go back and dig up those comments made by Charlie Tabesh and or read Will McKinley’s fine blog post about what he learned at the TCM festival in 2013…

http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/10-things-i-learned-at-the-tcm-classic-film-festival/

Of course, the naysayers will still not be convinced. Oh well, I tried yet again.

more views or more responses? all the same to tcm. the artsy hoy-faloy cinema verite greenwich villagers come first. :)

What fxreyman fails to acknowledge is that this thread has not only a massive number of views (it has seldom been off page one since I created it)...but it also has over 800 replies. Unless I am missing something, I do not see any threads that fxreyman has created that not only have been consistently viewed but consistently replied to as well.

At one point I was going to rename the thread 'Svengoolie' because I thought that was where it was headed-- but then I realized that people are reading and participating on this thread because ME-TV means something to them, as much (if not more, on Saturday nights) as TCM does.

Best not to read their posts, TB. The TCM flag wavers have always, do now, and always will praise every move TCM makes......the flag wavers will scream and writhe on the floor, mouths afoam, when the brilliant suggestion of a TCM Classic channel is proposed

Now, that's what I call a personal insult! No namby-pamby statements of truth that Topper calls "rude" 'cause he doesn't like them - you've got the real goods, primo!

Now, that's what I call a personal insult! No namby-pamby statements of truth that Topper calls "rude" 'cause he doesn't like them - you've got the real goods, primo!

LOL...I like how my screenname has now become a Cary Grant movie. I think primo was discouraged that some good ideas about programming seem to be ignored. But the name of the game is patience, and at least people are talking back to TCM-- so the message boards, in a way, are promoting an interactive dialogue among consumers and most especially between consumers and the channel itself.

Again,  you have NO idea what movies 'the majority of regular TCM viewers' would like to see.

Show me polling data.   Oh,  you don't have any.

LOL...I like how my screenname has now become a Cary Grant movie. I think primo was discouraged that some good ideas about programming seem to be ignored. But the name of the game is patience, and at least people are talking back to TCM-- so the message boards, in a way, are promoting an interactive dialogue among consumers and most especially between consumers and the channel itself.

I don't see how input from this message board would help a TCM programmer decide what to show or not show,  since the options are all over the map;   e.g.  some want more post 70s movies,  some what less,  some want more of one genre while others want less of that genre,   etc....

The only opinion that appears to be supported by a majority is more variety \ less repeats,  but that in itself doesn't help a programmer as it relates to the the specific content more variety should bring.

What fxreyman fails to acknowledge is that this thread has not only a massive number of views (it has seldom been off page one since I created it)...but it also has over 800 replies. Unless I am missing something, I do not see any threads that fxreyman has created that not only have been consistently viewed but consistently replied to as well.

At one point I was going to rename the thread 'Svengoolie' because I thought that was where it was headed-- but then I realized that people are reading and participating on this thread because ME-TV means something to them, as much (if not more, on Saturday nights) as TCM does.

I have not failed to acknowledge something that you and a few others here seem to think is an important number…. the amount of views a thread receives. Or the fact that you place such importance on that figure over the amount of replies.

I think what all of this importance placed by you and a few others on the total amount of views of threads you have started really just means one thing and one thing only. You have to be at or near the top of every forum as often as you can.

I think in many ways this is your way of letting the community know that you are alive and well. It does not matter that many of the threads you start go by the wayside after a few days or weeks, for you it is most important to continue to create as many threads as you can. And keep them at or near the top of every forum you participate in.

Some of us just do not have all the time in the world to post several hundred threads per year like you do, or want to post that many in the first place. Some of us are intent on commenting on other people’s threads without making our own.

That is the key word that often goes missing whenever you or others tries to explain the value of views…. commenting.

As far as I am concerned I think in the eight years since I have been a member here I have started a grand total of three or four threads. One of my threads has been inactive since March of this year. That would be the LISTS thread over on the Favorites Forum which I started way back in January of 2011. And I am sure that you have never written anything on that thread, although I wish you would have over the years. Your comments would be welcomed there.

Since the restart of the TCM message boards this past spring the thread had many views but for some reason that number was placed at just over 1100 views where as the actual number of responses is at 1,535. Not bad considering the thread does not get as many visits as some of your threads do. But this is NOT a competition.

Speaking of numbers again I refer you to the numbers I used about your thread here. You seem to be inthralled with the idea that a thread you started has amassed over 23,000 views. That is an astonishing number. But again is this the number that really impresses you? Should not a number that equals 10% or more in total responses impress you even more? Would not a total number of response approaching 2,300 be as important as the total number of views?

This begs the question…..

What is the purpose of a thread on a message board?

To garner as many views as possible and to keep it at or near the top of a forum? Or is it to garner as many responses as it can so that the conversation is always growing?

I would venture to say that the more responses a thread receives is definitely more important than the amount of views. Even though over 23,000 is quite impressive. Still I think that the main purpose of a message board is to engage with other posters. Share ideas and thoughts. Debate topics for weeks on end. Involve others and get them involved with the discussion.

What you have here is a stagnation of thought and ideas. Sure you have a lot of people viewing the thread. But don’t any of them have anything to add to the thread? And isn’t this the most important reason to come to a message board….. to communicate with others with back and forth debate and discussion?

What you have here is a stagnation of thought and ideas. Sure you have a lot of people viewing the thread. But don’t any of them have anything to add to the thread? And isn’t this the most important reason to come to a message board….. to communicate with others with back and forth debate and discussion?

I have stated previously that there are threads I started barely at 1000 views that I prefer over some of the ones that have taken off like a rocket. The quality of the thread is ultimately how I judge it-- but some threads are evolving and far from over in terms of new content being added, so obviously quality can always be increased. There is a lot of negative communication occurring lately in threads (various threads, not just mine...though not all threads, thankfully) that do not convey quality, in my opinion. 

Eventually people will find these writings ten or fifteen years from now, whether TCM is still on the air in its current form. And they too will judge the threads by what people had to say and how they went about saying it. And probably the number of views and replies will be looked at, too. It's part of the big picture.

I have stated previously that there are threads I started barely at 1000 views that I prefer over some of the ones that have taken off like a rocket. The quality of the thread is ultimately how I judge it-- but some threads are evolving and far from over in terms of new content being added, so obviously quality can always be increased. There is a lot of negative communication occurring lately in threads (various threads, not just mine...though not all threads, thankfully) that do not convey quality, in my opinion. 

Eventually people will find these writings ten or fifteen years from now, whether TCM is still on the air in its current form. And they too will judge the threads by what people had to say and how they went about saying it. And probably the number of views and replies will be looked at, too. It's part of the big picture.

Again.... Is the purpose of starting a thread to garner as many views as you can or is it more important to have more responses than views? Clearly you and several others here on this thread seem to think that having over 23,000 views is clearly more important to you than having more responses which to me is more important that total views.

You write about the quality of the thread and how that influences how you judge it. Okay then..... Does the quality of the thread mean more to you in the number of views or by the number of responses it generates? Forget about the negative communication. Overall are you satisfied with just over 3.55% of the total amount of responses on this thread so far? Wouldn't you love to have far more than 3.55% response rate?

Clearly the more views a thread gets means more to you than does the amount of responses. What about this?

Clearly the more views a thread gets means more to you than does the amount of responses. 

Yeas, there are a few on these boards who actually think it's sort of some "popularity" contest, like high school. Those people "up" their count by actually responding to their own threads!

They do not comprehend the idea of:

A. Asking a question or for an opinion

and then-

B. Reading & accepting the responses

It's painfully obvious they need attention and sadder that they crave attention from strangers on a message board. These are nothing more than "vanity" threads.

It's self-centered - all about them - not any meaningful conversation.

Tiki: Yeas, there are a few on these boards who actually think it's sort of some "popularity" contest, like high school. Those people "up" their count by actually responding to their own threads!

They do not comprehend the idea of:

A. Asking a question or for an opinion

and then-

B. Reading & accepting the responses

It's painfully obvious they need attention and sadder that they crave attention from strangers on a message board. These are nothing more than "vanity" threads.

It's self-centered - all about them - not any meaningful conversation.

I agree, especially with this thread in particular. There are a select few individuals who love to come on here and write insipid remarks just to bump the thread up the daily listing of threads. It is clearly an ego thing for them, since they obviously can not engage in otherwise thoughtful conversation.

Clearly, many here are smart enough to engage in thoughtful conversation, but some folks seem intent on creating threads just so that their name is out there. Just look at the total amount of threads some folks have started since the message boards underwent their transformation this past spring.

I am NOT saying that anyone does not have the right to do this. But what I am saying is that when someone creates as many threads as some do, then I would have to agree with you that they are looking for or craving attention.

Many are intent on creating threads and then they seem to want to add useless posts just to bump the threads up. If I have something worthy to write I will do just that. But when all you can do is reply with some sophomoric comment then you really know what or who you are dealing with.

Again, not every comment made on this thread or many others are like this, but there are folks who come here everyday to hopefully become engaged in thoughtful discussion which at times leads to healthy debates. This is exactly why a message board is created in the first place.