Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled: I have stated previously that there are threads I started barely at 1000 views that I prefer over some of the ones that have taken off like a rocket. The quality of the thread is ultimately how I judge it-- but some threads are evolving and far from over in terms of new content being added, so obviously quality can always be increased. There is a lot of negative communication occurring lately in threads (various threads, not just mine...though not all threads, thankfully) that do not convey quality, in my opinion.

Again, I am very curious to find out if you think that having more view counts are more important to you than actually having more replies/responses to any thread you create?

You seem to place a lot of emphasis on the amount of views you get on your threads. Is this really that important to you? I would think that you would want to engage with the posters who come to your threads and have conversations with them about the subject you have created, or at least engage with you on thoughtful conversation.

Again, I am very curious to find out if you think that having more view counts are more important to you than actually having more replies/responses to any thread you create?

This thread has a very high number of views AND replies. Both factor into the big picture around here. So no matter what you may be trying to suggest, this thread is a hit. It's ridiculous for me to defend it, because like I said, it's not even my favorite thread. But if I can acknowledge that this subject matter (about ME-TV) remains an interesting topic of conversation on this board, you should as well. And we are overdue for moving on. 

Clearly the more views a thread gets means more to you than does the amount of responses. 

Yeas, there are a few on these boards who actually think it's sort of some "popularity" contest, like high school. Those people "up" their count by actually responding to their own threads!

They do not comprehend the idea of:

A. Asking a question or for an opinion

and then-

B. Reading & accepting the responses

It's painfully obvious they need attention and sadder that they crave attention from strangers on a message board. These are nothing more than "vanity" threads.

It's self-centered - all about them - not any meaningful conversation.

Tiki,

This is an interesting comment coming from you. I remember reading many posts (and I do mean many posts) from you that talk about your kid and your personal activities. It seems like a sort of vanity to keep telling others you are a good parent because you are nurturing a love for classic film in your child. I don't know anyone else who does that on these boards. When I read those posts of yours, I tolerate it because it is one of your quirks. I don't go on other threads and say you are self-centered or not having what I feel should be more meaningful commentary.

Do you see where I am going with this? It is easy to judge, when we all have idiosyncrasies related to our individual posting styles. Why can't we all exercise more tolerance. 

Thread views are a fact and if people do not like it, then take it up with TCM and ask them to remove that information from the message board. 

There are a select few individuals who love to come on here and write insipid remarks just to bump the thread up the daily listing of threads... 

...Again, not every comment made on this thread or many others are like this, but there are folks who come here everyday to hopefully become engaged in thoughtful discussion which at times leads to healthy debates. This is exactly why a message board is created in the first place.

The first part seems like a slam against Nipkow. So what if he/she writes remarks to bump a thread. Most of the time it is to tell us what Svengoolie is showing this coming weekend. Nothing wrong with that at all. Why not instead be a bit more friendly to Nipkow.

The last part seems like you are trying to dictate terms about posting. You cannot control that. What you think a message board was created for and what others think a message board was created for may be very different. It's time to stop putting others down, live and let live, and worry about the classic film discussions you want to create. Be more proactive and less reactive.

The first part seems like a slam against Nipkow. So what if he/she writes remarks to bump a thread. Most of the time it is to tell us what Svengoolie is showing this coming weekend. Nothing wrong with that at all. Why not instead be a bit more friendly to Nipkow.

The last part seems like you are trying to dictate terms about posting. You cannot control that. What you think a message board was created for and what others think a message board was created for may be very different. It's time to stop putting others down, live and let live, and worry about the classic film discussions you want to create. Be more proactive and less reactive.

I be a-taken no offense as I wanna be the last guy to take himself so seriously. yeah, I do make insipid even stupid remarks at times. part of my personal charm as it were. :D foxreyman speaks of debate and an exchange of ideas. what for? all I see are the likes of Alec Baldwin, Drew Barrymore or Illeana Douglas being given a soapbox by tcm to present the films that they love and think are relevant. pardon me but what about the american and canadian cable viewer? a lot of us can't make those pleasure cruises and film festivals. :)

I be a-taken no offense as I wanna be the last guy to take himself so seriously. yeah, I do make insipid even stupid remarks at times. part of my personal charm as it were. :D foxreyman speaks of debate and an exchange of ideas. what for? all I see are the likes of Alec Baldwin, Drew Barrymore or Illeana Douglas being given a soapbox by tcm to present the films that they love and think are relevant. pardon me but what about the american and canadian cable viewer? a lot of us can't make those pleasure cruises and film festivals. :)

Once one understands your posting 'style' it is clear you don't take yourself seriously.   Most of the time that is refreshing.

I just wish you wouldn't continue to pretend to represent 'american and canadian cable viewers' as a whole.    e.g. how do you know if the majority of viewers also love the films Baldwin, Barrymore, etc...  present or not?   You don't.

I know you wish TCM would show more 'B' sci-fi films from the 50s.   That is cool,  but for all you know the majority of viewers may not want TCM do to that.     My point again is that the opinions related to 'what should TCM show?' are all over the map and no single person should claim to known what the majority of TCM viewers want.

Once one understands your posting 'style' it is clear you don't take yourself seriously.   Most of the time that is refreshing.

I just wish you wouldn't continue to pretend to represent 'american and canadian cable viewers' as a whole.    e.g. how do you know if the majority of viewers also love the films Baldwin, Barrymore, etc...  present or not?   You don't.

I know you wish TCM would show more 'B' sci-fi films from the 50s.   That is cool,  but for all you know the majority of viewers may not want TCM do to that.     My point again is that the opinions related to 'what should TCM show?' are all over the map and no single person should claim to known what the majority of TCM viewers want.

Yeah, but why doesn't tcm go to regular folks instead of celebrities for input, feedback and film choices? I mean they gotta know that many of us are, for various reasons, not gonna be able to book passage on one of their pleasure cruises or show up at a california-based film festival. :)

I have just completed an extensive survey of TCM viewers  (I have notarized,  documented proof, I hold up a piece of paper with a lot of scribbling on it) and can  definitely say that the viewers overwhelmingly want to see a lot of WW2 era Navy pictures filmed aboard cargo ships, preferably with William Powell in the cast.  Me-tv does not show these kind of films so it is up to TCM to meet the demand. TCM must dedicate at least 6 hours of viewing time each day to accomplish this.

Yeah, but why doesn't tcm go to regular folks instead of celebrities for input, feedback and film choices? I mean they gotta know that many of us are, for varuous reasons, not gonna be able to book passage on one of their pleasure cruises or show up at a california-based film festival. :)

It would be interesting if TCM held a 'regular folks' contest and a select number of winners would be guest programmers.

Just seeing how TCM would define a regular folk would be interesting!   :lol:  

plus TopBilled is right on the mark. my only reason in bumping up this most stupendous thread :) is to merely clue in posters on what Svengoolie is gonna be showin' any given saturday. :D

Thanks Nipkow. Please keep posting those notes about Svengoolie's shows. I like to know what's coming up on Saturday nights, and I am sure others do as well.

Thanks Nipkow. Please keep posting those notes about Svengoolie's shows. I like to know what's coming up on Saturday nights, and I am sure others do as well.

Yes, keep up the good work. Pictures optional, but desired. (By me. I'm not talking about Americans or Canadians or the man on the moon. Just me!)

Hear, hear, NipkowDisc! Ignore the mosts, you keep saying what you want to say. If the Mod is okay with it...............well, just ignore the mosts. :D:lol::):P

Luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv those silly emoticons! :lol:

It was not meant as a "slam" against Nipkow. It was meant as an accurate statement of what goes on here on this thread and for that matter many other threads. Some like his style of posting, some do not.

As far as me "dictating" terms about posting.....

You are way off the mark. I was suggesting what in my opinion was the purpose of message boards. To bring people of different backgrounds, beliefs and thought processes together to share their love for whatever a message board is for. In TCM's case a message board about the movies. Thats all I was attempting to say.

As far as being more proactive than reactive.... Maybe you should follow your own advice.....

It would be interesting if TCM held a 'regular folks' contest and a select number of winners would be guest programmers.

Just seeing how TCM would define a regular folk would be interesting!   :lol:  

I suppose what I really meant was non-celebrity feedback from the general public. (us) I am sorry but Drew Barrymore and Mother Dolores Hart are not the general public. WE are. :D General persons doan ride around town in limosines and have the latest 80" Ultra HD curved flatscreens and speaker elements encompassing 20 feet of a 50 foot by 50 foot living room but a celeb might. :) take illeana douglas, she chooses films that impacted on her personal perspective on acting. most regular folks, based on their screen time in front of a TV like myself, will simply take the wider general view on what is truly good and what is not. that is where you're gonna find the true expertise on good films and TV shows. from the true lifelong couch potato slash space cadet who shoulda been outside the house more getting some air and engaging in some playtime with schoolmates and siblings but chose to just stay in the house starin' at that dam TV. :) that's who I am. and you doan get that life experience in a classroom college course on the visual entertainment medium. take Fred MacMurray. the man never gave a bad screen performance ever. MacMurray was good in everything he ever appeared in from film noir to disney and yet the man never had so much as a single acting lesson. that's what I be a-talkin' about. natural inclinations. well, expending your childhood gawkin' all the time at the TV can get to be a naturally instructive inclination too. you wanna know what has been good on TV and what has not? go to a space cadet who thrilled to supercar, Fireball XL-5 and Thunderbirds. Lost in Space and Star Trek. Hanna-Barbera's 1960s saturday morning superhero cartoons as well as low-budget sci-fi and horror flicks. there's a man who knows. :D

you don't get that from people who grew up building their personal wardrobes by frequenting the best shops on rodeo drive.

so my advice is ask the people.

because they be the ones who really know. :)

I suppose what I really meant was non-celebrity feedback from the general public. (us) I am sorry but Drew Barrymore and Mother Dolores Hart are not the general public. WE are. :D General persons doan ride around town in limosines and have the latest 80" Ultra HD curved flatscreens and speaker elements encompassing 20 feet of a 50 foot by 50 foot living room but a celeb might. :) take illeana douglas, she chooses films that impacted on her personal perspective on acting. most regular folks, based on their screen time in front of a TV like myself, will simply take the wider general view on what is truly good and what is not. that is where you're gonna find the true expertise on good films and TV shows. from the true lifelong couch potato slash space cadet who shoulda been outside the house getting some air and engaging in some playtime with schoolmates and siblings but chose to just stay in the house starin' at that dam TV. :) that's who I am. and you doan get that life experience in a classroon college course on the visual entertainment medium. take Fred MacMurray. the man never gave a bad screen performance ever. MacMurray was good in everything he ever appeared in from film noir to disney and yet the man never had so much as a single acting lesson. that's what I be a-talkin' about. natural inclinations. well, expending your childhood gawkin' all the time at the TV can get to be a naturally instructive inclination too. you wanna know what has been good on TV and what has not? go to a space cadet who thrilled to supercar, Fireball XL-5 and Thunderbirds. Lost in Space and Star Trek. Hanna-Barbera's 1960s saturday morning cartoons. there's a man who knows. :D

you don't get that from people who grew up building their personal wardrobes by frequenting the best shops on rodeo drive.

so my advice is ask the people.

because they be the ones who really know. :)

Sorry but I don't believe in the concept of 'the people'.    i.e. there is no such 'thing' as 'the people'.   There are many different types of people e.g.  various education levels,  ages,  cultural backgrounds,  annual earinings,  religions,   genders,   races,  professions,  etc.....

If TCM was to have a contest to select 5 guest programmers only from 'the people',  my gut tells me you would complain that a majority of those 5 really don't reflect 'the people' as you view 'the people'.  

Also remember my polling idea?   If TCM was to conduct a poll this would be the closes they could get to asking 'the people'.

… you wanna know what has been good on TV and what has not? go to a space cadet who thrilled to supercar, Fireball XL-5 and Thunderbirds. Lost in Space and Star Trek. Hanna-Barbera's 1960s saturday morning superhero cartoons as well as low-budget sci-fi and horror flicks. there's a man who knows. :D

Nipkow,

Be careful what you ask for. The above is a spot-on description of me in the '60s. And I'm a big fan of stuff you think only appeals to "artsy hoy-faloy cinema verite greenwich villagers." 

Including Metropolitan and Barcelona.

Nipkow,

Be careful what you ask for. The above is a spot-on description of me in the '60s. And I'm a big fan of stuff you think only appeals to "artsy hoy-faloy cinema verite greenwich villagers." 

Including Metropolitan and Barcelona.

well, obviously our personal tastes can change. mine have. lotta stuff I hated the first time I saw it I now love and vice versa......

but why do tcm's programmers assume that SoCal-dwelling celebs like Alec Baldwin and Drew Barrymore have a personal perspective superior to that of the average cable viewer? Brentwood? Mulholland Drive and Beverly Hills? that ain't nuthin' but arrogant elitist nepotism. All I be a-sayin' is go to the source for the real perspective(s). :D we the viewers.

because aren't we the reason that tcm exists in the first place?...or have I missed somethin'? :)

well, obviously our personal tastes can change. mine have. lotta stuff I hated the first time I saw it I now love and vice versa......

but why do tcm's programmers assume that SoCal-dwelling celebs like Alec Baldwin and Drew Barrymore have a personal perspective superior to that of the average cable viewer? Brentwood? Mulholland Drive and Beverly Hills? that ain't nuthin' but arrogant elitist nepotism. All I be a-sayin' is go to the source for the real perspective(s). :D we the viewers.

because aren't we the reason that tcm exists in the first place?...or have I missed somethin'? :)

Again,   there is no such animal as 'the average cable viewer'.    Why can't you accept that?    You continue to push the myth of a so called 'average cable viewer'.       You only know what your personal taste are but you continue to act like you know the taste of the so called 'average cable viewer'  and that you represent the views of this made up group.

So yea,  your clearly missing something.   The fact that there is NO SUCH THING as an 'average cable viewer'.

Talk about arrogant.

:D  :D  :D

Alec and Drew (and other celebrity contributors) don't program all of TCM's schedule (just a small part of it).  Having Dolores Hart  as a guest was a wonderful  opportunity to get her  very unique insight about films of interest.  If Fred MacMurray could communicate to us from the hereafter  I would like to see what his night of film choices would be.   I actually welcome the input from these people, it gives a little insight into their personalities and what influenced them.  I have no reason to doubt that some of the people on the TCM staff are just like us "normal" people and they try to program accordingly.  They monitor this site and the "suggest a movie" section, although that represents a very small sampling of the true general public.  They try to offer up a very broad selection of films to give something to everyone. I certainly don't expect TCM to please me every hour of everyday.  Now we have a number of special channels like MOVIES! , GET TV,  METV , etc to offer up their programming.  But they all have their limitations  (the library of films they can access), they endlessly repeat a lot of their films and they have COMMERCIALS, which is an absolute sin to some people.  And TCM puts on a lot of films that otherwise would never, ever see the light of day.  I know, I am a TCM apologist, but I am grateful that a channel like this exists and if it were to go away, we would all be poorer for it.  I have to go now, METV is showing ADAM 12 , EMERGENCY, and CHiPS in a little while. ;)  

Well ND, then I guess you haven't heard the latest little bit of news coming from TCM's Atlanta headquarters that in order to quell these very concerns of yours and the many others located in The Heartland of this great country of ours about all this "arrogant SoCal elitist nepotism", currently there are talks underway to bring those more, shall we say, "down to earth" stars of "Duck Dynasty" into the TCM fold and have THEM tell us, the TCM viewing public, THEIR take on the minutiae of Hollywood history.

(...though word is there presently seems to be a minor little stumbling block in these negotiations, with the "Duck Dynasty" stars insisting on bringing their Over/Under 12 Gauges into the studio, and with TCM insisting they check their weapons at the door) 

• Like 1

Dargo, I hope you are not suggesting that we start polling the Monday night RAW crowd?? :rolleyes:

Nah, you can NEVER trust those polls ya know, Mr.R.

(...I mean just look how that Scottish referendum turned out and yet those pre-referendum polls were WAY off the mark!!!)

Again,   there is no such animal as 'the average cable viewer'.    Why can't you accept that?    You continue to push the myth of a so called 'average cable viewer'.       You only know what your personal taste are but you continue to act like you know the taste of the so called 'average cable viewer'  and that you represent the views of this made up group.

So yea,  your clearly missing something.   The fact that there is NO SUCH THING as an 'average cable viewer'.

Talk about arrogant.

:D  :D  :D

you messed somethin'. again, why does tcm oh so arbitrarily go to the resident SoCal celeb for their cinematic perspectives? why not average people??? to be specific, why not go to the population living their day to day lives outside of the obligatory SoCal Brentwood, Mulholland Drive and Rodeo Drive sphere of influence? in short, US. :)