Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

you messed somethin'. again, why does tcm oh so arbitrarily go to the resident SoCal celeb for their cinematic perspectives? why not average people??? to be specific, why not go to the population living their day to day lives outside of the obligatory SoCal Brentwood, Mulholland Drive and Rodeo Drive sphere of influence? in short, US. :)

I mean why do Drew Barrymore's opinions matter more than mine? I had 30 years of TV gawkin' on my er...personal resume before she was even born! :angry: same ol' same ol' it be. tcm only cares about what the SoCal hoy-faloys think whether they be young or old. when can we expect suri cruise to co-host with Osborne? :lol::lol::lol:

I mean why does Drew Barrymore's opinions matter more than mine? I had 30 years of TV gawkin' on my er...personal resume before she was even born! :angry: same ol' same ol' it be. tcm only cares about what the SoCal hoy-faloys think whether they be young or old. when is suri cruise scheduled to sit in with Osborne. :lol:

I never said Drew's opinion should matter more than yours.   I only said that you have no idea if your opinion represents the opinions of many others (e.g. a majority of TCM viewers). 

But Drew is more well known than you are (and I assume cuter),  so that explains why she is a guest host and you are NOT.

Of course a company is going to care more about people that purchase other lines of their product,  like the cruise, than those that don't.    

I never said Drew's opinion is matter more than yours.   I only said that you have no idea if your opinion represents the opinions of many others (e.g. a majority of TCM viewers). 

But Drew is more well known than you are (and I assume cuter),  so that explains why she is a guest host and you are NOT.

Of course a company is going to care more about people that purchase other lines of their product,  like the cruise, than those that don't.    

I will ask more directly then...is it arrogant for tcm to place greater weight and value on the opinions of the denizens of the SoCal film and TV capitol than the views and opinions of tens of millions of cable viewers in the united states and canada? when do our voices get heard??? :)

I will ask more directly then...is it arrogant for tcm to place greater weight and value on the opinions of the denizens of the SoCal film and TV capitol than the views and opinions of tens of millions of cable viewers in the united states and canada? when do our voices get heard??? :)

I assume the majority of TCM viewers like TCM's programming choices.  Otherwise they wouldn't be TCM viewers.   Of course no one is 100% satisfied,  but I assume a majority are mostly satisfied.     So that means the opinions of the majority of TCM viewers are being heard and that TCM is meeting the needs of most viewers.

Again,  you have NO evidence to say otherwise.  NONE.    The proof I have is that TCM is still in business.     If their programming was really as 'poor' or unaligned with the view of 'classic' movie watchers as you claim,  they would have gone belly up by now.

I thought September was a particularly fine month on TCM. Amazing quality and diversity covering the history of movies in all its glory!  My cable box recorder runneth over (thanks partly to some excellent prints in HD)!

• Like 1

I thought September was a particularly fine month on TCM. Amazing quality and diversity covering the history of movies in all its glory!  My cable box recorder runneth over (thanks partly to some excellent prints in HD)!

I agree. My only complaint is that I didn't get a thing done on Pre-Code Fridays. LOL!

I assume the majority of TCM viewers like TCM's programming choices.  Otherwise they wouldn't be TCM viewers.   Of course no one is 100% satisfied,  but I assume a majority are mostly satisfied.     So that means the opinions of the majority of TCM viewers are being heard and that TCM is meeting the needs of most viewers.

Again,  you have NO evidence to say otherwise.  NONE.    The proof I have is that TCM is still in business.     If their programming was really as 'poor' or unaligned with the view of 'classic' movie watchers as you claim,  they would have gone belly up by now.

What is it with people demanding evidence around here? Being a TCM viewer does not require a scientific background or extensive experience with statistics or number crunching. Most posting on this site involves opinions. It seems tacky to cut down other's impressions by demanding evidence to back up their claims. A counterclaim requires just as much evidence, does it not?

Let's loosen up a bit and grant one another a bit more leeway in expressing their feelings. I think we are adult and intelligent enough to know that one person's viewpoint does not represent everyone else's.

• Like 1

What is it with people demanding evidence around here? Being a TCM viewer does not require a scientific background or extensive experience with statistics or number crunching. Most posting on this site involves opinions. It seems tacky to cut down other's impressions by demanding evidence to back up their claims. A counterclaim requires just as much evidence, does it not?

Let's loosen up a bit and grant one another a bit more leeway in expressing their feelings. I think we are adult and intelligent enough to know that one person's viewpoint does not represent everyone else's.

yeah, tcm is great! :) ...just not all the time. :)

• Like 1

yeah, tcm is great! :) ...just not all the time. :)

Obviously, people wouldn't post here (at the TCM message boards) if they weren't watching TCM. But it's good to provide constructive criticism, especially because some aspects of programming could (and should) be improved.

• Like 1

Hear, hear!  My sentiments exactly, thank you for your post.  

• Like 1

There comes a time in some conversations where some claims should be backed up ... not all, of course, or we would all too busy doing research. It's appropriate to insist sometimes to challenge a claim that might come across as unreasonable, frivolous, or just plain stupid. There are those (I have no one in mind here) who resort to this and it should be permitted to challenge them in these cases, if necessary. To your statement, "A counterclaim requires just as much evidence, does it not?" I would say, not necessarily. Often, not always, the burden of proof rests with the original claim.

I'm not playing favorites in the current argument, I'm not up to par on who represents what viewpoint ... just responding generally to the above post. It does seem like a fairly good idea to be able back up a little what one has to say, otherwise we'll have all kinds of nonsense floating around.

TopBilled, on 02 Oct 2014 - 8:55 PM, said:snapback.png

Silly Top Billed - the most are not on trial here, those with an opinion of their own are.

You've been on this board long enough to know, Top Billed! :D :D :D :D :D

It's appropriate to insist sometimes to challenge a claim that might come across as unreasonable, frivolous, or just plain stupid. There are those (I have no one in mind here) who resort to this and it should be permitted to challenge them in these cases, if necessary. To your statement, "A counterclaim requires just as much evidence, does it not?" I would say, not necessarily. Often, not always, the burden of proof rests with the original claim.

I'm not playing favorites in the current argument, I'm not up to par on who represents what viewpoint ... just responding generally to the above post. It does seem like a fairly good idea to be able back up a little what one has to say, otherwise we'll have all kinds of nonsense floating around.

You can't get much more insultingly condescending than that, lf. I congratulate you, you do the most proud.

The Svengoolie schedule for October, for those of you interested.....

Oct 4 The Incredible Shrinking Man

Oct 11 The Uninvited

Oct 18 The Wolf Man

Oct 25 Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

All these titles have been broadcast by TCM.

Maybe we'll get the answer to what actress played Mary Merideth's ghost in THE UNINVITED by Svengoolie.

He often introduces the cast and identify other performances we may be familiar with. I really enjoy that about his script, much more than what's written for Robert Osborne's script.

• Like 2

The Svengoolie schedule for October, for those of you interested.....

Oct 4 The Incredible Shrinking Man

Oct 11 The Uninvited

Oct 18 The Wolf Man

Oct 25 Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

All these titles have been broadcast by TCM.

Maybe we'll get the answer to what actress played Mary Merideth's ghost in THE UNINVITED by Svengoolie.

He often introduces the cast and identify other performances we may be familiar with. I really enjoy that about his script, much more than what's written for Robert Osborne's script.

I gotta admit I be none too happy with that line-up except the last one. seeing a Lugosi-hypnotized Costello scare the monster (Glenn Strange) is hilarious. :)

proof colorizing works. :D

I gotta admit I be none too happy with that line-up except the last one. seeing a Lugosi-hypnotized Costello scare the monster (Glenn Strange) is hilarious. :)

proof colorizing works. :D

Nipkow, you didn't love the fact that the Shrinking Man was going to go 'poof' and disappear from the face of the earth?

How about Maria Ouspenskaya in The Wolfman?

Too many commercials for me to watch, but Svengoolie has grown on me. I almost bought a rubber chicken. :D

Nipkow, you didn't love the fact that the Shrinking Man was going to go 'poof' and disappear from the face of the earth?

How about Maria Ouspenskaya in The Wolfman?

Too many commercials for me to watch, but Svengoolie has grown on me. I almost bought a rubber chicken. :D

the only thing shrinking man ever did for me was make me appreciate the nostalgia of basement window screens. :lol:

• Like 1

Silly Top Billed - the most are not on trial here, those with an opinion of their own are.

You've been on this board long enough to know, Top Billed! :D:D:D:D:D

It's appropriate to insist sometimes to challenge a claim that might come across as unreasonable, frivolous, or just plain stupid. There are those (I have no one in mind here) who resort to this and it should be permitted to challenge them in these cases, if necessary. To your statement, "A counterclaim requires just as much evidence, does it not?" I would say, not necessarily. Often, not always, the burden of proof rests with the original claim.

You can't get much more insultingly condescending than that, lf. I congratulate you, you do the most proud.

I would not want to be congratulated on something I didn’t intend.

If PrimosPrimos, TopBilled, or anyone else feel insulted or condescended to by my post, I apologize. I certainly did not intend that. I was commenting on the face value of TB’s post. It was not meant to taken personally. It seems to me what I said is true. But looking at it again, I can see how it might have meant taken another way, especially considering some past history here (which is completey behind me now).

Again, apologies …

When one claims to represent the opinions of others they do need to provide some type of evidence.   Claiming to represent the opinions of others is NOT an opinion.   It is a statement of fact and therefore one needs evidence to back up the claim;  e.g. polling results.

Of course one doesn't need evidence to back up their OWN opinion,  but that was NOT what I was responding to.     

e.g.  If someone says 'I would like to see more musicals',   that opinion does NOT need to be backed up.  It stands on its own.

BUT,  if someone says 'The majority of viewers want to see more musicals',   they need to back that up.    They need to provide evidence that they know what the majority of viewers want or don't want.

I don't see how you can disagree with that but I'm willing to listen to what you have to say.

• Like 1

I would not want to be congratulated on something I didn’t intend.

If PrimosPrimos, TopBilled, or anyone else feel insulted or condescended to by my post, I apologize. I certainly did not intend that. I was commenting on the face value of TB’s post. It was not meant to taken personally. It seems to me what I said is true. But looking at it again, I can see how it might have meant taken another way, especially considering some past history here (which is completey behind me now).

Again, apologies …

I didn't feel insulted by your post. I understood what you were saying. 

When one claims to represent the opinions of others they do need to provide some type of evidence.   Claiming to represent the opinions of others is NOT an opinion.   It is a statement of fact and therefore one needs evidence to back up the claim;  e.g. polling results.

Of course one doesn't need evidence to back up their OWN opinion,  but that was NOT what I was responding to.     

e.g.  If someone says 'I would like to see more musicals',   that opinion does NOT need to be backed up.  It stands on its own.

BUT,  if someone says 'The majority of viewers want to see more musicals',   they need to back that up.    They need to provide evidence that they know what the majority of viewers want or don't want.

I don't see how you can disagree with that but I'm willing to listen to what you have to say.

The issue I have with this is that you know, and I know, and we all know that it is impossible to prove what the vast majority of viewers want. So demanding evidence seems like a fancy way to discredit the other poster's statement. And it's an easy statement to fix-- someone could simply say 'I feel, or in my opinion, most people seem to want musicals, etc.' So there is a sneaky, tricky way around it without having to cite evidence. Ultimately, it's an opinion (falsely presented as a fact). 

The issue I have with this is that you know, and I know, and we all know that it is impossible to prove what the vast majority of viewers want. So demanding evidence seems like a fancy way to discredit the other poster's statement. And it's an easy statement to fix-- someone could simply say 'I feel, or in my opinion, most people seem to want musicals, etc.' So there is a sneaky, tricky way around it without having to cite evidence. Ultimately, it's an opinion (falsely presented as a fact). 

I openly admit I'm trying to discredit the POV of NipkowDisk when he claims to represent 'the people',   or 'TCM viewers' as a whole,  especially when it is implied that 'the people' don't want euro type trash movies etc....  Yes,  is impossible to prove what the vast majority of viewers want.   But if one is going to continue to say they know what the majority of viewers want I'm going to tease them about this. 

He doesn't take himself seriously so I doubt he is offended by my replies to him.   If he says he is I would consider changing how I reply to him.

I openly admit I'm trying to discredit the POV of NipkowDisk when he claims to represent 'the people',   or 'TCM viewers' as a whole,  especially when it is implied that 'the people' don't want euro type trash movies etc....  Yes,  is impossible to prove what the vast majority of viewers want.   But if one is going to continue to say they know what the majority of viewers want I'm going to tease them about this. 

He doesn't take himself seriously so I doubt he is offended by my replies to him.   If he says he is I would consider changing how I reply to him.

not in any way offended, jamasjazzguitar. I be a light-hearted fellow preferring to see the funny side in any argument. :)

• Like 1

Re "opinions":

Personally, I'll USUALLY have a MUCH higher "opinion" of OTHERS' "opinions" when they attempt to further SUPPORT their "opinion" with examples of empirically derived data...and ESPECIALLY when another's "opinion" is stated in a DEFINITIVE(read: cocksure) manner!!!

(...and sooooo, at least in MY mind anyway, NOT ALL "opinions" are always of equal value, because some folks don't seem to think they ever NEED to supply the aforementioned sort of data while stating an "opinion", AND it often seems ESPECIALLY when they state an "opinion" in that "cocksure" manner I previously mentioned)

Re "opinions":

Personally, I'll USUALLY have a MUCH higher "opinion" of OTHERS' "opinions" when they attempt to further SUPPORT their "opinion" with examples of empirically derived data...and ESPECIALLY when another's "opinion" is stated in a DEFINITIVE(read: cocksure) manner!!!

(...and sooooo, at least in MY mind anyway, NOT ALL "opinions" are always of equal value, because some folks don't seem to think they ever NEED to supply the aforementioned sort of data while stating an "opinion", AND it often seems ESPECIALLY when they state an "opinion" in that "cocksure" manner I previously mentioned)

Also,  this is a chat room.    So if someones says 'XYZ is the best movie ever' and someone else asks 'really?   what about this movie makes you feel that way?',   and the reply is "I don't need to explain my opinion',   it doesn't make for much of a chat.    Of course the person is right that they don't need to explain their opinion but again,  one can't have much of a discussion when that position is taken.

Related to the topic of TCM programming;  Well I assume there are some type of general consensus related to the type of programming TCM should have,  but I really don't know what they are.    This is why I make fun of the POV of 'give the people what they want'.