Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Related to the topic of TCM programming;  Well I assume there are some type of general consensus related to the type of programming TCM should have,  but I really don't know what they are.    This is why I make fun of the POV of 'give the people what they want'.     

What some people want on Saturday evenings is what ME-TV is offering. If we look at various threads in this forum and other sub-forums, we do see a lot of negative feedback. There is much unhappiness about the repetitious content of the Essentials series, the choice of co-host, and the sometimes mind-numbing commentary contained in the wraparounds.

What some people want on Saturday evenings is what ME-TV is offering. If we look at various threads in this forum and other sub-forums, we do see a lot of negative feedback. There is much unhappiness about the repetitious content of the Essentials series, the choice of co-host, and the sometimes mind-numbing commentary contained in the wraparounds.

I agree with you that there are is a lot of negative feedback related to TCM programming (a lot being relative since there are less than 30 or so consistent users of this forum),   but to me the feedback,  as it relates to what movies TCM shows, is all over the place.   e.g.  more of this genre,  less of that one,   only pre-1970 films,  more post-1970 films,  less foreign films,  more foregin films,  etc...

On the issue of repetitious content I agree that based on the feedback I see at this forum there is a consensus.    But as I noted before,  what to replace repetitious content with takes us back to square one.

As for the co-host;  I'm not so sure there is a consensus.  Maybe about Drew,  but while there is some very vocal dislike for Baldwin,  I'm not sure there is a consensus there.    The same applies to Ben.

Also,  in no way am I trying to surpress negative feedback at this forum.   All I ask is that each of us just speak for ourselves instead of acting like we represent some larger group;  e.g. using a phase like 'average TCM viewer'.     To me this is similar to the use of a phase like 'real Americans'.   It can be used to marginalize the opinions of others.

PS:  Related to MOVIES,  I have noticed that the station often features the same actor as TCM is featuring but in a different movie.  Since they show a lot of Fox movies this is often a movie TCM doesn't show.     I haven't keep track to see if this is a real pattern or not,  but it does make me curious.   Is MOVIES saying to use TCM viewers;  hey,  I know you like actor XYZ,  but instead of that same old WB, MGM or RKO movies from the Turner 'vault',   have you seen this Fox movie!

I would agree with you that there is much unhappiness about what occurs on Saturday evenings in regards to the Essential series.

But where I would disagree with your statement here is that I would say that the unhappiness is really from a core group of posters who when given a chance to vent, will do just that given the opportunity whenever anyone creates a thread complaining about the Essentials in the first place.

And I think if one is to go back and look at any or all of the threads that mention the so-called issues with the Essentials, there is a core group of posters who do most of the complaining. There will always be dissatisfied posters here who complain about any number of topics related to programming decisions, choice of guest programmers, decisions related to who appears with Robert Osborne on the Essentials, Ben's lack of facial hair, you name it. But the posters doing most of the complaining are pretty much the same people over and over again.

There are new posters who complain as well, just not as many of the posters who come here often to complain who have been here for a while.

It's as if nothing TCM does is good enough for them. I wish TCM was less costly and that it was available as cheaply as AMC is so I would not have to pay a premium price for it. 

I would hope that after time the posters who complain the loudest about the Essentials realize that the series is about introducing films to new viewers who have never watched TCM before. The Essentials has never really been about pleasing the typical, long-time standing TCM viewer. Most of those viewers probably have seen whichever film does appear on the Essentials several times, if not several dozen times or they own the movie themselves and therefore can watch it whenever they want to watch it.

And until the posters who complain often or the loudest realize this, then maybe people won't be elevating the discussion about the Essentials into the general discussion about how often a film is repeated but will instead start writing about why the film is considered an Essential in the first place.

now I have a question....just how open are the high upper echelons of tcm to public feedback? must one frequent a california-based film festival or book passage on a tcm pleasure cruise in order to get their ear? we're all right here on their website message boards. all they hafta do...is knock. :)

I agree with you that there are is a lot of negative feedback related to TCM programming (a lot being relative since there are less than 30 or so consistent users of this forum),   but to me the feedback,  as it relates to what movies TCM shows, is all over the place.   e.g.  more of this genre,  less of that one,   only pre-1970 films,  more post-1970 films,  less foreign films,  more foregin films,  etc...

On the issue of repetitious content I agree that based on the feedback I see at this forum there is a consensus.    But as I noted before,  what to replace repetitious content with takes us back to square one.

As for the co-host;  I'm not so sure there is a consensus.  Maybe about Drew,  but while there is some very vocal dislike for Baldwin,  I'm not sure there is a consensus there.    The same applies to Ben.

Also,  in no way am I trying to surpress negative feedback at this forum.   All I ask is that each of us just speak for ourselves instead of acting like we represent some larger group;  e.g. using a phase like 'average TCM viewer'.     To me this is similar to the use of a phase like 'real Americans'.   It can be used to marginalize the opinions of others.

PS:  Related to MOVIES,  I have noticed that the station often features the same actor as TCM is featuring but in a different movie.  Since they show a lot of Fox movies this is often a movie TCM doesn't show.     I haven't keep track to see if this is a real pattern or not,  but it does make me curious.   Is MOVIES saying to use TCM viewers;  hey,  I know you like actor XYZ,  but instead of that same old WB, MGM or RKO movies from the Turner 'vault',   have you seen this Fox movie!

james, it is interesting to see that this is still an issue, but I am convinced it is one that won't go away on this board. Hence my use of the most, as in those who so often spout that MOST people love love love what TCM runs. Well, no they don't, but the most tries to shut down the voice of those with a differing opinion. I don't have an answer, other than to advise the use of the 'ignore' feature.

This is an interesting thought. I had noticed the same occurrence at various times, both on GET TV and ME TV, and would have loved to be able to watch the more obscure works of the big stars. Unfortunately, I only watch live, and can't abide the commercials. Gene Raymond and Carole Lombard, two of my favorites, were just in a little known (to me) film on GET TV that I couldn't watch.

As to the solution - I don't think TCM will be revamping their format anytime soon, and I don't think there will be the classic TCM channel I wistfully seek, so...................well, I have no idea.

now I have a question....just how open are the high upper echelons of tcm to public feedback? must one frequent a california-based film festival or book passage on a tcm pleasure cruise in order to get their ear? we're all right here on their website message boards. all they hafta do...is knock. :)

NipkowDisc, perhaps those behind GET TV and ME TV do read here and are trying to give those who dislike the TCM programming a choice.

As to TCM's schedule, I think it is all about the bottom line. They are spending an inordinate amount of time hawking material and cruises of late, so I guess they have decided to throw the money another way than a programming update. Apparently it is working for them, so they're not going to rock the boat.

Like the 'ignore' feature on the board, turning off TCM the channel works very nicely for me. :huh:

Sad, but true.

I dunno. The Wonderful World of Tupperware scheduled for tonight may be ripping.

Where in the world did you find this???????? Jeeepers, thanks for posting!!!

james, it is interesting to see that this is still an issue, but I am convinced it is one that won't go away on this board. Hence my use of the most, as in those who so often spout that MOST people love love love what TCM runs. Well, no they don't, but the most tries to shut down the voice of those with a differing opinion. I don't have an answer, other than to advise the use of the 'ignore' feature.

This is an interesting thought. I had noticed the same occurrence at various times, both on GET TV and ME TV, and would have loved to be able to watch the more obscure works of the big stars. Unfortunately, I only watch live, and can't abide the commercials. Gene Raymond and Carole Lombard, two of my favorites, were just in a little known (to me) film on GET TV that I couldn't watch.

As to the solution - I don't think TCM will be revamping their format anytime soon, and I don't think there will be the classic TCM channel I wistfully seek, so...................well, I have no idea.

Does any other channel provide you with what your seek?    I assume NOT.   Of course TCM can be improved but to me no other channel comes close to meeting my needs as it relates to the showing movies from the 30s - early 60s,  without commercials.   So TCM is meeting my needs most of the time.     I also watch MOVIES but they do have commercials.

As to the solution for you,  my only advise is to use YouTube with a device that allows one to display the content on your T.V.  or to rent or purchase DVDs  (which of course cost a lot more than watching TCM).

Does any other channel provide you with what your seek?    I assume NOT.   Of course TCM can be improved but to me no other channel comes close to meeting my needs as it relates to the showing movies from the 30s - early 60s,  without commercials.   So TCM is meeting my needs most of the time.     I also watch MOVIES but they do have commercials.

As to the solution for you,  my only advise is to use YouTube with a device that allows one to display the content on your T.V.  or to rent or purchase DVDs  (which of course cost a lot more than watching TCM).

call me stubborn but tcm should not be showing obscure euro films whether recent or old during primetime hours. let some eclectic cable outlet do that. :)

call me stubborn but tcm should not be showing obscure euro films whether recent or old during primetime hours. let some eclectic cable outlet do that. :)

Why should TCM not be showiing obscure euro films?    Please don't claim it is because 'the people' don't wish for TCM to show those films since you don't represent 'the people'.  

So really, can you explain why?    To me the only reason you have for why is because you don't like those films.   I would hope you can understand that TCM's programming can't be designed only for YOU.     Of course we all wish that TCM's programming would be designed just for us.    

Why should TCM not be showiing obscure euro films?    Please don't claim it is because 'the people' don't wish for TCM to show those films since you don't represent 'the people'.  

So really, can you explain why?    To me the only reason you have for why is because you don't like those films.   I would hope you can understand that TCM's programming can't be designed only for YOU.     Of course we all wish that TCM's programming would be designed just for us.    

James, you just don't understand. Some people don't want to be exposed to the outside world and possibly  broaden their knowledge.  :rolleyes:

Why should TCM not be showiing obscure euro films?     

So really, can you explain why?    To me the only reason you have for why is because you don't like those films. 

My answer is:

I can't watch a foreign film AND read the English language dialogue at the same time.

Have you ever heard of SAP?  Well, an English language sound track should be put on the SAP of these films so I can hear the dialogue and watch the film at the same time.

James, you just don't understand. Some people don't want to be exposed to the outside world and possibly  broaden their knowledge.  :rolleyes:

That is not so.

See my earlier post.

I want to SEE and HEAR a film (with an English sound track), at the same time.

Most English language dialogue captions are on the screen for such a short amount of time, I don't have time to read them,and I cant see the film at the same time.

This is most distracting during nude scenes. I can't see the nude and read what she is saying, at the same time.

I mentioned a topless-dancer scene I saw on TCM in a Jean Gabin film, and a dozen guys begged me to tell them where the scene was, because they had missed it, because they were busy reading the dialogue titles, while I was watching the movie, so I got to see the topless girl dancing, while they got to read what Jean Gabin was saying during that scene, but they didn't see the naked girl dancing.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! :)

Here we go. Why? Why is the solution to my opinion removing myself from TCM?

Also,  in no way am I trying to surpress negative feedback at this forum.

Oh, so it's just my negative feedback you're trying to suppress? I told you I had no answer as to how TCM can be made better anymore. I said the horse had left the barn, and I told Nipkow that my solution was to turn off the channel.

That is not so.

See my earlier post.

I want to SEE and HEAR a film (with an English sound track), at the same time.

Most English language dialogue captions are on the screen for such a short amount of time, I don't have time to read them,and I cant see the film at the same time.

This is most distracting during nude scenes. I can't see the nude and read what she is saying, at the same time.

I mentioned a topless-dancer scene I saw on TCM in a Jean Gabin film, and a dozen guys begged me to tell them where the scene was, because they had missed it, because they were busy reading the dialogue titles, while I was watching the movie, so I got to see the topless girl dancing, while they got to read what Jean Gabin was saying during that scene, but they didn't see the naked girl dancing.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! :)

Fred, everyone has their own priorities. Either take a speed reading course or record the movie and play it back in slow motion. ;)

Fred, everyone has their own priorities. Either take a speed reading course or record the movie and play it back in slow motion. ;)

You are missing half the movies if you read all the English dialogue captions. Some directors put a lot of different symbolic stuff in the photography, which you never see because you are busy reading the sub-titles.

My answer is:

I can't watch a foreign film AND read the English language dialogue at the same time.

Have you ever heard of SAP?  Well, an English language sound track should be put on the SAP of these films so I can hear the dialogue and watch the film at the same time.

Not wishing to read subtitles is a vaild reason why a foreign film may be less enjoyable to watch than an English speaking film, but that doesn't apply only to obscure euro films but all non English speaking films.

But adding SAP would be a great idea.      As for that Gabin film.   I have seen it twice and it is one of my favorite French films.   I know the scene you're talking about,  and yea,  the second time around I wasn't reading any subtitles!  

Here we go. Why? Why is the solution to my opinion removing myself from TCM?

Also,  in no way am I trying to surpress negative feedback at this forum.

Oh, so it's just my negative feedback you're trying to suppress? I told you I had no answer as to how TCM can be made better anymore. I said the horse had left the barn, and I told Nipkow that my solution was to turn off the channel.

Wow, didn't expect that type of reply.     Really,  I don't see how I said anything that could get under you skin but clearly I did.  

Why is the solution to my opinion removing myself from TCM?      Say what?????

Frankly I don't even know what you mean by 'remove myself' as it relates to TCM.    

Wow, didn't expect that type of reply.     Really,  I don't see how I said anything that could get under you skin but clearly I did.  

Why is the solution to my opinion removing myself from TCM?      Say what?????

Frankly I don't even know what you mean by 'remove myself' as it relates to TCM.    

Eeh! Don't worry about primos "removing herself from TCM", James.

(...it's the only channel on TV that shows Warren William flicks!!!) LOL

Eeh! Don't worry about primos "removing herself from TCM", James.

(...it's the only channel on TV that shows Warren William flicks!!!) LOL

I'm just really confused by what 'removed' meant in the context of TCM.   If it meant NOT viewing (watching) TCM because it doesn't show the type of flims one wants to see than the solutions I provided sounded reasonable to me.   Note that Fred as well as others are watching films on YouTube.   That 'solution' allows one to watch films that TCM doesn't show.  

Just turning off TCM when it isn't showing you what you want to see doesn't solve the problem of being able to view what one does want to see.   But hey,  it does allow me to play more guitar! 

I disagree. There are many people that like foreign films. I'm not a fan myself. I dislike reading subtitles, but there are a lot of people that like that stuff and TCM is the place to see it. Uncut and commercial free.

You know, I bought these pretty bad Boston **** DVDs, several that looked like they were copied from really bad prints. I haven't been exposed to such bad prints since I was a kid. You know the type I'm speaking of... The actor is saying something and the film is spliced to the very next scene. I'm sure you all remember those happy days.

What I'm getting at is that TCM has a little bit of everything for everybody's taste. You don't like what they're playing on any particular night, tune into something else. No big deal. I did not tune into Gone with the Wind when I got out of work the other night. Not a fave of mine. So I put in a DVD and watched something else. So what? Maybe next week TCM will air something that I will tune in to.

• Like 1

By the way, several years ago I promoted the idea of TCM showing more old foreign films, since there must be thousands of them in all sorts of foreign film libraries all over the world, from China to Germany, from Russia to Argentina.

YouTube has many old classic foreign films available, but many (such as the 1930s German films) have no English subtitles.

I suggested that TCM might sponsor the addition of adding English sub-titles to these films.

I think sub-titles are cheaper than full new English sound tracks.

I also suggested the addition of English sound tracks to the SAP tracks for showing on TCM, for films that ALREADY HAVE ENGLISH SOUND TRACKS. I discovered that many do, although TCM prefers to air the original-language track and English sub-titles.

But I say, if a foreign film has both an original language track AND an English language track, AND English subtitles, then air ALL THREE AT THE SAME TIME, with the English track on the SAP channel, the original language track on the main channel, AND the English subtitles.

That should make EVERYONE happy.

But did they take my advice yet?? Noooooo.