Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

By the way, several years ago I promoted the idea of TCM showing more old foreign films, since there must be thousands of them in all sorts of foreign film libraries all over the world, from China to Germany, from Russia to Argentina.

YouTube has many old classic foreign films available, but many (such as the 1930s German films) have no English subtitles.

I suggested that TCM might sponsor the addition of adding English sub-titles to these films.

I think sub-titles are cheaper than full new English sound tracks.

I also suggested the addition of English sound tracks to the SAP tracks for showing on TCM, for films that ALREADY HAVE ENGLISH SOUND TRACKS. I discovered that many do, although TCM prefers to air the original-language track and English sub-titles.

But I say, if a foreign film has both an original language track AND an English language track, AND English subtitles, then air ALL THREE AT THE SAME TIME, with the English track on the SAP channel, the original language track on the main channel, AND the English subtitles.

That should make EVERYONE happy.

But did they take my advice yet?? Noooooo.

Another great idea Fred.   The only thing you got wrong was when you said 'that should make everyone happy'.   Nothing TCM would do would make everyone in this forum happy!      :lol:

You are missing half the movies if you read all the English dialogue captions. Some directors put a lot of different symbolic stuff in the photography, which you never see because you are busy reading the sub-titles.

Fred, after awhile you get used to watching and reading. I look to Showtime or HBO On Demand for very excellent foreign movies. In fact, I just today saw a denouncement of the crooked Venezuelan police, in Rock, Paper, or Scissors (Piedra, Papel, O Tijera) in which ALL of the main characters died - every single one, save one. Because the cops were crooked. I personally like that kind of movie, because I believe everyone in power is crooked.

But yes, you have to read and watch, quickly. And believe me, the exterior shots of Venezuela were gorgeously photographed. Ugly, gritty, dirty, but beautifully photographed. Foreign films are a world unto themselves, you have to be a fan. If you aren't, I can't explain why I love them.

Wow, didn't expect that type of reply.     Really,  I don't see how I said anything that could get under you skin but clearly I did.  

Why is the solution to my opinion removing myself from TCM?      Say what?????

Frankly I don't even know what you mean by 'remove myself' as it relates to TCM.    

Please reread what I wrote, james. And thanks, Dargo, but james is one of the good guys, I think we can work this out.

james, you said and I quote:

As to the solution for you,  my only advise is to use YouTube with a device that allows one to display the content on your T.V.  or to rent or purchase DVDs  (which of course cost a lot more than watching TCM).

Yeah, that blindsided me, and if you read it, don't you see where you told me that, if I don't like what is on TCM, I should go watch YouTube - thanks, but I can barely do TV shows on Amazon Prime, I can't do movies on the computer and I can't yet find a good ROKU/Amazon FIRE TV thingy that meets my qualifications.

What figuratively slapped me upside the head was my inference from your implication (please let me know if I was wrong) that I should go elsewhere and not complain about TCM. As I said, I don't expect them to change anytime soon, any more than I expect those most to leave me peacefully to my own opinion.

james, I apologize if I offended, but in no way did I tell you to leave. No way. Peace sign? Stupid emoticons, you'd think there'd be one for a peace sign. :D

And before I p*** you off, Dargo, which I would never do, you are correct. TCM, in addition to the various PBS channels and the overpriced pay channels, is all there is. There ain't NO Warren William to be had elsewhere, and there ain't no one else (sorry Robert Fuller) I would rather have for my afterlife husband than Mr. Krech. :wub:

Please reread what I wrote, james. And thanks, Dargo, but james is one of the good guys, I think we can work this out.

james, you said and I quote:

As to the solution for you,  my only advise is to use YouTube with a device that allows one to display the content on your T.V.  or to rent or purchase DVDs  (which of course cost a lot more than watching TCM).

Yeah, that blindsided me, and if you read it, don't you see where you told me that, if I don't like what is on TCM, I should go watch YouTube - thanks, but I can barely do TV shows on Amazon Prime, I can't do movies on the computer and I can't yet find a good ROKU/Amazon FIRE TV thingy that meets my qualifications.

What figuratively slapped me upside the head was my inference from your implication (please let me know if I was wrong) that I should go elsewhere and not complain about TCM. As I said, I don't expect them to change anytime soon, any more than I expect those most to leave me peacefully to my own opinion.

james, I apologize if I offended, but in no way did I tell you to leave. No way. Peace sign? Stupid emoticons, you'd think there'd be one for a peace sign. :D

And before I p*** you off, Dargo, which I would never do, you are correct. TCM, in addition to the various PBS channels and the overpriced pay channels, is all there is. There ain't NO Warren William to be had elsewhere, and there ain't no one else (sorry Robert Fuller) I would rather have for my afterlife husband than Mr. Krech. :wub:

Sorry, Nipkow, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, I'll shut the heck up.

I'm just really confused by what 'removed' meant in the context of TCM.   If it meant NOT viewing (watching) TCM because it doesn't show the type of flims one wants to see than the solutions I provided sounded reasonable to me.   Note that Fred as well as others are watching films on YouTube.   That 'solution' allows one to watch films that TCM doesn't show.  

Just turning off TCM when it isn't showing you what you want to see doesn't solve the problem of being able to view what one does want to see.   But hey,  it does allow me to play more guitar! 

Just turning off TCM when it isn't showing you what you want to see doesn't solve the problem of being able to view what one does want to see.

Exactly my point! But according to those most who would have me shut up because most of the people most of the time like what is being shown on TCM, I should just shut up and go away. No, it doesn't solve the problem, anymore than putting them on 'ignore' does. I know my suggestion of an additional TCM channel, like the multitudinous pay channels to the left and right of the originals, will never fly.

Therefore, because I am out of solutions, so...............I simply turn off the television set.

Sorry, Nipkow, I know I promised...........................starting NOW! :D

Just turning off TCM when it isn't showing you what you want to see doesn't solve the problem of being able to view what one does want to see.

Exactly my point! But according to those most who would have me shut up because most of the people most of the time like what is being shown on TCM, I should just shut up and go away. No, it doesn't solve the problem, anymore than putting them on 'ignore' does. I know my suggestion of an additional TCM channel, like the multitudinous pay channels to the left and right of the originals, will never fly.

Therefore, because I am out of solutions, so...............I simply turn off the television set.

Sorry, Nipkow, I know I promised...........................starting NOW! :D

Please tell me where I told you to shut up?   I never did.   I was one of the few that supported 2 TCM type channels.

But it appears I'm now part of this 'most' group.

okay, okay! I take it back. I LOVE euro films. :) my favorite euro film scene is when the amazon in the bikini chucks the mime of the cliff in modesty blaise. :D

Twasn't you, was me that said that, Nipkow.

Easy, Fred, there are many people who don't like to read and watch movies. I thought you were one of them.

Judas Priest, lots of emotions running high here lately, including mine. I think it's time we all went on the cruise with Ben and talked to each other face to face. :D

Please tell me where I told you to shut up?   I never did.   I was one of the few that supported 2 TCM type channels.

Please tell me where I told you to shut up?  

I didn't say you did. That was directed at the most group.

I never did.

I know you didn't. I never said you did.

I was one of the few that supported 2 TCM type channels.

I know you do, and I appreciate that.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Okay, forget it, james. Seems I'm not going to be able to explain myself.

Why you ignored the lengthy explanation I gave you and then chose the post where I spoke of what the MOST WOULD HAVE ME DO is beyond me.

La di da. And so it goes.

Twasn't you, was me that said that, Nipkow.

Easy, Fred, there are many people who don't like to read and watch movies. I thought you were one of them.

Judas Priest, lots of emotions running high here lately, including mine. I think it's time we all went on the cruise with Ben and talked to each other face to face.

Don't you know that the cruises and the film festivals are only for those high brow Hollywood types?

We average Americans/Canadians would never ever think about doing something like that! :rolleyes:

Why you ignored the lengthy explanation I gave you and then chose the post where I spoke of what the MOST WOULD HAVE ME DO is beyond me.

La di da. And so it goes.

Maybe if you started talking like a normal person and gave up these idiotic terms for people you'd not run into these situations.

The Svengoolie schedule for October, for those of you interested.....

Oct 4 The Incredible Shrinking Man

Oct 11 The Uninvited

Oct 18 The Wolf Man

Oct 25 Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

All these titles have been broadcast by TCM.

Maybe we'll get the answer to what actress played Mary Merideth's ghost in THE UNINVITED by Svengoolie.

He often introduces the cast and identify other performances we may be familiar with. I really enjoy that about his script, much more than what's written for Robert Osborne's script.

Tiki,

Where did you find this information? is it on a website somewhere? I appreciate your posting this here...

Don't you know that the cruises and the film festivals are only for those high brow Hollywood types? :rolleyes:

why does tcm elect to use film festivals and pleasure cruises to get feedback from people rather than their own website's message boards??? I mean not every cable viewer in america and canada is gonna be able-like to film festivalize and pleasure cruise. :D some of us just plain doan have the personal funds to facilitate world travelogue excursions. :)

why does tcm elect to use film festivals and pleasure cruises to get feedback from people rather than their own website's message boards??? I mean not every cable viewer in america and canada is gonna be able-like to film festivalize and pleasure cruise. :D some of us just plain doan have the personal funds to facilitate world travelogue excursions. :)

...and, in that sense, the people who go to the Film festival and cruises would constitute a skewed sample.

Anyone who can't make the TCM Cruise can always buy a toy cruise ship for the bathtub, lol.

tt4753_product.jpg

IMG_3717.JPG?imgmax=800

I'm going to buy some of those for my Italian in-laws.    Some get defensive when I mention that 'accident'.   Yea,  I really teased them to the hilt,  but hey,  their in-laws!

and that is my point, always has been, and that is in making the kind of scheduling and programming decisions they have and are, tcm is playing to a skewed audience, an audience that likes and prefers films that they like but...BUT may not be quite indicative of the preferences of the vast majority of cable viewers in america and canada.

"I don't like but there it is." -ike, The Longest Day :)

and that is my point, always has been, and that is in making the kind of scheduling and programming decisions they have and are, tcm is playing to a skewed audience, an audience that likes and prefers films that they like but...BUT may not be quite indicative of the preferences of the vast majority of cable viewers in america and canada.

and since tcm is meant for public consumption by american and canadian cable subscribers, mine is and must be the winning argument. I mean it's not like tcm was ever meant to be a greenwich village euro-slanted public access channel. :)

I agree with you that TCM should try to find a way to gather the opinions of a more general audience but even if TCM ran a periodic poll,  that poll would be skewed as well.     It would be skewed to those individuals that would respond to a poll.   Of course the pollsters would use standard demographic techniques but would that ensure a non skewed sample?   I think not.     For all we know people interested in foreign movies would respond to a TCM poll more so than space cadet couch potatoes. 

Note that the users of this forum are also a skewed sample as well.   

I agree with you that TCM should try to find a way to gather the opinions of a more general audience but even if TCM ran a periodic poll,  that poll would be skewed as well.     It would be skewed to those individuals that would respond to a poll.   Of course the pollsters would use standard demographic techniques but would that ensure a non skewed sample?   I think not.     For all we know people interested in foreign movies would respond to a TCM poll more so than space cadet couch potatoes. 

I must disagree, jamesjazzguitar. you see, I expect tcm programmers to know at an intuitive level just what is mainstream film content and what is not. they are clearly deferring to their own preferences over ours...and their preferences are obviously in kinship with the greenwich village euro-eclectic crowd...which most cable viewers in america and canada will most likely not consider mainstream films..at all. where than do manhattan and barcelona belong? obviously between 3 and 6 in the morning. :)

I am not sure if we know that. There is no way for us to authenticate whether the posting community is a skewed sample or not. In theory, the comments indicated on these forums could very accurately represent the views of TCM consumers at large. We cannot support or negate that claim.