Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

The posting community on these boards is way too small a number to be considered a representation of all TCM viewers.  I have always found that disheartening, that more people don't access this site and participate in some fashion.  How many people are regular viewers of TCM (view at least one or two films on an average day)?  Several million?  How many people are regular participants  on these boards?  A couple dozen at most?  And a handful of those people make about 50% of the total postings.

This conversation (like so many conversations here) has been had many times before. The last time, one of the moderators said that TCM does participate in market surveys and in all of the other means by which cable channels (and in fact most businesses) gather data about their audiences.  This board is a valuable tool as well. And we are diverse and representative -- you don't need to be a genius to recognize that!

TCM will never be for the masses. AMC ranks very high among cable stations, largely because of their original shows.  Let's face it -- the people who love "classic" films do not represent the largest group of television viewers.  TCM presumably wants to maximize that number, but the "brand" that makes TCM so attractive to people who come to TCM is very special. Dilute it too much, and you lose viewers.  There are a lot of movies out there, and movie channels. I'm fairly certain that the bosses at TCM don't want to lose their core audience, and they know a fair amount about those audiences through a number of means.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde:  "TCM is like a delicate exotic fruit: touch it and the bloom is gone."

But there is some leeway, within that exotic nature, for tweaking.

I am not sure if we know that. There is no way for us to authenticate whether the posting community is a skewed sample or not. In theory, the comments indicated on these forums could very accurately represent the views of TCM consumers at large. We cannot support or negate that claim.

You're right that one can NOT say if the sample here is skewed or not.    There has been research on chat rooms were political topics are discussed and those chat rooms tend to attract individuals that lean strongly to one side or the other.  i.e. people in the 'middle' tend to not participate as much in these chat rooms.  While that specific concept doesn't really apply to this forum something similar may apply (we just don't know unless someone studies this).

It would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown of the regular members of this forum compare with the breakdown for regular TCM viewers.      Sorry,  that I show so much interest in this topic.   In my line of work I work with sampled data. I also found how Nate Silver used sampled data in the 2012 election (he predicted every state correctly related to the election for President) interesting.   

I wish TCM would share the result of any surveys they conduct OR if they did share this info someone would post it at this forum.

I wish TCM would share the result of any surveys they conduct OR if they did share this info someone would post it at this forum.

Yes, it would certainly be interesting.  But of course, we would all be debating what it means six ways to Sunday.

what the effe?

now me-tv has added 'saved by the bell' to it's line up.

what's so effen classic about that bs sitcom?

it was bad enough that they added (at least here in milwaukee) 'black sheep squadron', 'lassie' and 'remington steel' to the mix.

i'm gonna email me-tv a letter expressing my displeasure and criticism regarding how they define 'classic'.

even if we posters did represent a skewered sampling of opinions that is still better than some elite group of high societies on a pleasure cruise. :)

I have heard rumors that TCM is sponsoring a bus trip along Bolivia's "Death Road"  (nice high up vantage points for scenic viewing) , the price for the trip is quite reasonable :lol:

I agree with you that TCM should try to find a way to gather the opinions of a more general audience but even if TCM ran a periodic poll,  that poll would be skewed as well.     It would be skewed to those individuals that would respond to a poll.   Of course the pollsters would use standard demographic techniques but would that ensure a non skewed sample?   I think not.     For all we know people interested in foreign movies would respond to a TCM poll more so than space cadet couch potatoes. 

Note that the users of this forum are also a skewed sample as well.   

I agree. The posters here generally represent TCM viewers who like to write, so in generally MAY be, on the average, more erudite than the average TCM viewer.

I agree. The posters here generally represent TCM viewers who like to write, so in generally MAY be, on the average, more erudite than the average TCM viewer.

Who you calling erudite?

and that is my point, always has been, and that is in making the kind of scheduling and programming decisions they have and are, tcm is playing to a skewed audience, an audience that likes and prefers films that they like but...BUT may not be quite indicative of the preferences of the vast majority of cable viewers in america and canada. and since tcm is meant for public consumption by american and canadian cable subscribers, mine is and must be the winning argument. I mean it's not like tcm was ever meant to be a greenwich village euro-slanted public access channel.

If I owned a cable service movie channel like TCM, I'd schedule what suits me as well. Who gives a crap about the great unwashed? They've already got a hundred and fifty channels serving them.

what the effe?

now me-tv has added 'saved by the bell' to it's line up.

what's so effen classic about that bs sitcom?

it was bad enough that they added (at least here in milwaukee) 'black sheep squadron', 'lassie' and 'remington steel' to the mix.

i'm gonna email me-tv a letter expressing my displeasure and criticism regarding how they define 'classic'.

Oh, I know! Maybe they're trying to attract younger viewers. You may well get a response. There was a lot of emails to MeTV when they replaced Perry Mason with The Love Boat during the summer months. The response was that Perry Mason would return in the fall. Be interresting to see what they say about "Bell". Yuk!

If I owned a cable service movie channel like TCM, I'd schedule what suits me as well. Who gives a crap about the great unwashed? They've already got a hundred and fifty channels serving them.

I try to take at least 3 showers per day, soaping myself thoroughly in each one.

Wartime "Japs" are called "Japs" and they are all mean and ugly.

Doris day NEVER associated with black people, and there were NO black people in New York City in the 1950s.

I will comment on these two, Fred. First, and we have discussed this in Crawford SOTM thread-- Joan's line about sneaky Japs in THEY ALL KISSED THE BRIDE has been edited out of the copy that TCM broadcasts.

And Doris does associate with black singer Perry Blackwell in PILLOW TALK, while performing Roly Poly.

Do you realize that TCM is the most CONSERVATIVE TV network on the air?? Even more Conservative than Fox News.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

No other channel allows the word Nigge* to go on the air. No other channel shows wonderful glowing happy films about happy slaves during the Civil War.

Commies and progressives are all "bad". Conservatives rule! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Any US War is a "good" war.

The US is fighting in Indo-China (Vietnam) in many TCM movies, LONG before the real US entered the Vietnam war in the 1960s.

Wartime "Japs" are called "Japs" and they are all mean and ugly.

Most Mexicans are bandits.

Jews are all "perfect" and Italians are all criminals and gangsters.

Irish are all drunks.

Black people are all stupid an uneducated and can only be servents and farm workers, and none of them speak proper English.

The K K K  was justified in its formation and attacks on black "savages". The only blacks in all of Africa are spear-chunking "savages".

Post-war Italians were all poor and stupid, and their women were mostly prostitutes.

TRIUMPH OF THE WILL was a great film about the rise of the wonderful Fuhrer.

Doris day NEVER associated with black people, and there were NO black people in New York City in the 1950s.

The GOOD OLD DAYS (when whites were in charge of everything) were indeed the GOOD OLD DAYS.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Well TCM still isn't showing those Charlie Chan movies so they are not racist enough for my taste!

Well TCM still isn't showing those Charlie Chan movies so they are not racist enough for my taste!

The problem with the best early Chan movies is that they are owned by the Fox movie company, and I think Fox is still not renting them out to other channels or showing them on the Fox channels. But many are on YouTube.

Warner Oland and wife, in China to visit and tour.

BOTH WERE PART ASIAN

2lwpwjq.jpg

Actually, I made my post as somewhat of a humorous joke, but I do find it odd that both radical liberals and conservative right wingers BOTH just love TCM. I find that very interesting. I, who am somewhat conservative, even like the Communist film SALT OF THE EARTH because it tells and show exactly how the early Mexican mine workers in the US were mistreated by the mine owners. The mine owners were very un-Christian about the way they treated the workers, and this Communist films shows that mistreatment.

Fred-- I am concerned your comments are going to lead into discussions and arguments about politics and religion. Let us please try to steer clear of that. I think ALL people find something to watch on TCM, regardless of background, because the movies give us a glimpse of American history as seen through the eyes of classic Hollywood. 

Fred-- I am concerned your comments are going to lead into discussions and arguments about politics and religion. Let us please try to steer clear of that. I think ALL people find something to watch on TCM, regardless of background, because the movies give us a glimpse of American history as seen through the eyes of classic Hollywood. 

Ok. :)

I guess films like REBECCA are non-political.

Ok. :)

I guess films like REBECCA are non-political.

Even Rebecca is political.    In the book Max did murder Rebecca.   This was changed due to the code and the fact the studio didn't want the star of the film to be a murderer.    I think every movie is political to some degree.   i.e.  the political views of those making the films or society (at that time), have some influence on the final product

Even Rebecca is political.    In the book Max did murder Rebecca.   This was changed due to the code and the fact the studio didn't want the star of the film to be a murderer.    I think every movie is political to some degree.   i.e.  the political views of those making the films or society (at that time), have some influence on the final product

Yes but if we write comments that contain words like liberals, conservatives, Christians and Communists-- all in one post-- we are putting four bullets into the chamber. And we know from experience around here that people do not have the ability to talk about those topics rationally. It is best left to other message boards on websites that cater to those discussions. This website does not.

Yes but if we write comments that contain words like liberals, conservatives, Christians and Communists-- all in one post-- we are putting four bullets into the chamber. And we know from experience around here that people do not have the ability to talk about those topics rationally. It is best left to other message boards on websites that cater to those discussions. This website does not.

I agree which is why you don't see me using any of those busswords.   I was just pointing out that while many movies don't flash their politics (e.g. they are NOT 'message' movies),   they still reflect the views of their creators to some degree.