Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

We are approaching 1,000 replies and 30,000 views...who would have thought...LOL

Actually TB, considering the thought that this thread of yours is one of the few that was established to discuss a channel which is geared toward the showing of "retro" television programs and sometimes "retro" movies, programming which is near and dear to the hearts of the demographic around here, in..ahem.."retro"spect, maybe this wasn't all that surprising a thing after all, eh?!

• Like 1

Where do you find ME-TV?  I have DirecTV and they don't seem to carry it.  Or is it online?  I looked it up, but confess I got confused--technology moves too fast for me.

On my cable Saddleback College has a local TV station and they show movies from the 30 - 60 most nights.  They feature some really good ones.  Sadly the host of the program (college kids),  don't know much about the movies of this era.   (people complain about mistakes Ben and RO make,  they should hear these kids!).    Sometimes the prints are not very good but they do show films TCM doesn't from time to time.

On my cable Saddleback College has a local TV station and they show movies from the 30 - 60 most nights.  They feature some really good ones.  Sadly the host of the program (college kids),  don't know much about the movies of this era.   (people complain about mistakes Ben and RO make,  they should hear these kids!).    Sometimes the prints are not very good but they do show films TCM doesn't from time to time.

College kids are not making over $200,000 a year like Ben Mankiewicz and Robert Osborne. We can cut these kids some slack-- they are still learning. 

College kids are not making over $200,000 a year like Ben Mankiewicz and Robert Osborne. We can cut these kids some slack-- they are still learning. 

College kids have the time to study so just like Ben and R.O.  they should do a little research before making comments.    PS:  I was mostly joking with the crack about these college kids.   But really when my wife knows more about 'classic' movie history than the host,   that host needs help!   

Actually TB, considering the thought that this thread of yours is one of the few that was established to discuss a channel which is geared toward the showing of "retro" television programs and sometimes "retro" movies, programming which is near and dear to the hearts of the demographic around here, in..ahem.."retro"spect, maybe this wasn't all that surprising a thing after all, eh?!

I agree Dargo. Not too surprising when you think about it!

i do not like me-tv's 'sci-fi saturday' (8:00pm - 1:00am [cst]).

it not only sucks but it's boring.

and svengoolie's choices of film features also blows.

but i guess it must be done this way since now sooo much money is invested in television and their advertisements.       :(

Early this evening I saw a Me TV promo featuring William Schallert (who was in a ton of tv shows either as a regular or a guest star),  he also shows up in a number of notable films like IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. Mr Schallert is 92 years young. Awhile back we had a little run of a thread on him here.  I thought at the time he would make a neat TCM guest programmer,  I wonder if he would still be up for sitting with RO for a night?

Early this evening I saw a Me TV promo featuring William Schallert (who was in a ton of tv shows either as a regular or a guest star),  he also shows up in a number of notable films like IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. Mr Schallert is 92 years young. Awhile back we had a little run of a thread on him here.  I thought at the time he would make a neat TCM guest programmer,  I wonder if he would still be up for sitting with RO for a night?

Ol' Bill Schallert has done it all. I'd love for him to sit in on a showing of The Monolith Monsters from 1957 in which he as a cameo as a weatherman. :D

See here: http://metvnetwork.com/wheretowatch/

(my DTV has it @ch#23)

Thanks for this, mr6666.  It shows a channel in San Francisco, but the channel doesn't show the programming I thought ME-TV offered.  I have yet to see this Svengooli character, though I have seen a sort of motley local dance show now and then.  Maybe I should just stick with TCM.  :)

Have you seen the Mission Impossible promo with Martin Landau? It's a hoot!

Have you seen the Mission Impossible promo with Martin Landau? It's a hoot!

Yes, it sure is.

The promos they did in April for the marathon of The Doris Day Show (for Doris' 90th birthday tribute) were very well done, too. They had Tony Bennett, Betty White, Bernie Kopell, Robert Wagner, Kaye Ballard, Connie Francis and Lee Meriwether all on camera saluting Doris. Some of them had appeared on the show and they would each say something amusing about working with Doris or how they knew her away from the set. 

The closest big city is San Francisco.  I found the channel, KOFY, but it doesn't seem to show the programming people have mentioned.  Thanks though!

Not quite. Its channel 20.2 which is a separate channel from 20

Do you have a pay television service like cable or dish ? Or do  you get your channels over the air ?

Do you have a digital tv ?

Answer both questions please. Then I can show you what's going on. And maybe save you some money.

Yes, it sure is.

The promos they did in April for the marathon of The Doris Day Show (for Doris' 90th birthday tribute) were very well done, too. They had Tony Bennett, Betty White, Bernie Kopell, Robert Wagner, Kaye Ballard, Connie Francis and Lee Meriwether all on camera saluting Doris. Some of them had appeared on the show and they would each say something amusing about working with Doris or how they knew her away from the set.

It's pretty cool that they got the actors to do these things.

My fave is the Star Trek/Odd Couple remix. The first time I saw that, I laughed my a s s off.

Maybe I should just stick with TCM.  :)

Can't go wrong with that choice GayD.  MeTV is not available on my cable system.  From time to time, you may be able to catch some of its programming on a couple of St. Louis stations, but the schedule is very sporadic (different channels, different days, different times of the day).  I find my channel surfing to be such a bore (like Norma Shearer says when Stephen cancels a dinner engagement with his soon-to-be ex-wife in 'The Women')!

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with that choice GayD.  MeTV is not available on my cable system.  From time to time, you may be able to catch some of its programming on a couple of St. Louis stations, but the schedule is very sporadic (different channels, different days, different times of the day).  I find my channel surfing to be such a bore (like Norma Shearer says when Stephen cancels a dinner engagement with his soon-to-be ex-wife in 'The Women')!

MeTV is free over the air television. I know this is an odd concept but, there are many new free digital tv channels your cable box may not get. But, some box allow you to plug in an OTA antenna in the back of the box and then you can get those stations also.

MeTV is nothing compared to GeTV. GeTV is a virtual clone of TCM in many ways. That's what I watch when I don't have pay television

Yes, it sure is.

Isn't it a shame Oscar Levant died 42 years before this promo was made, TB?! 

(...'cause I got a pretty good idea what HIS contributory comment would've been in it, and I'll bet you do TOO!) ;)