Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

Isn't it a shame Oscar Levant died 42 years before this promo was made, TB?! 

(...'cause I got a pretty good idea what HIS contributory comment would've been in it, and I'll bet you do TOO!) ;)

Yes, and he's the only one who could have expressed that type of admiration so perfectly!

MeTV is free over the air television. I know this is an odd concept but, there are many new free digital tv channels your cable box may not get. But, some box allow you to plug in an OTA antenna in the back of the box and then you can get those stations also.

MeTV is nothing compared to GeTV. GeTV is a virtual clone of TCM in many ways. That's what I watch when I don't have pay television

Some of these classic channels have a close association to or are owned by a corporation that has procession of a film library; like GetTV   has Colombia films, Movies! has  20th Century Fox, etc.  These channels are severely limited to those sources of films and they do a lot of repeating (I must have seen Doris Day's IT HAPPENED TO JANE was on a half dozen times in a week. ) These channels also have commercials, they do claim to do no editing down for time (we have to take their word of course). So TCM is still a very unique channel by being commercial free (no interruptions once the film starts) and attempts to obtain films from all sources. They air some very obscure films, they air silent films (who else does that?)  , they air foreign films at times  (for those who dare to broaden one's exposure to film).  TCM provides us with this forum to discuss all films and even things outside of films.  As long as one posts in a civil manner  TCM allows us to say just about anything, even make criticisms about TCM.  I believe they may even welcome critical comments if they are meant to be of a constructive nature.  I welcome the existence  of these other channels that show old movies and tv shows and can tolerate their limitations.  But for me TCM is still the most indispensable channel of all, the one that I, and I believe most others, would miss the most.  I fear that these other channels may to some degree freeze out TCM's ability to access some film libraries, and force TCM to become more specialized like they are in the future.  

• Like 1

I fear that these other channels may to some degree freeze out TCM's ability to access some film libraries, and force TCM to become more specialized like they are in the future.  

I'd like to see tcm access a smileboxed 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ice Station Zebra.

SMILEBOX...

THE FUTURE OF CINERAMA :)

(on non-curved screens)

I fear that these other channels may to some degree freeze out TCM's ability to access some film libraries, and force TCM to become more specialized like they are in the future.  

I'd like to see tcm access a smileboxed 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ice Station Zebra. :)

Some of these classic channels have a close association to or are owned by a corporation that has procession of a film library; like GetTV   has Colombia films, Movies! has  20th Century Fox, etc.  

Isn't it really the other way around? The big studios-- Sony and Fox-- are setting up classic movie channels by which they can air classic films they already own? They are sort of copying Time Warner's business model with TCM. Ultimately, it may make it even harder for TCM to get a lot of the films it used to air. This is what happened to AMC when Turner came along. Down came the rain and washed the spider out!

Not quite. Its channel 20.2 which is a separate channel from 20

Do you have a pay television service like cable or dish ? Or do  you get your channels over the air ?

Do you have a digital tv ?

Answer both questions please. Then I can show you what's going on. And maybe save you some money.

I have DirecTV, no digital.

The Wolf Man. I can't bear Svengoolie, and I have the Legacy DVD, so I won't be watching.

Svengoolie isn't bad, I do  find him a little too campy/corny, its like watching TV's BATMAN.  Very much for the kids.  But I give credit for the little info bits he gives out about the film and the actors, some of those are gems.

• Like 2

Thanks Swithin for the info. When was the last time this film aired on TCM...? 

I have no idea. But as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so TCM will run to a predestined showing of the Universal horror films, someday!

I have no documentation to present on this but I am certain that TCM has shown most, if not all, of the major Universal horror films at some time in the past.  It might be several years ago now , but it has happened.  And I distinctly remember TCM showing both the 1931 English (Lugosi) DRACULA and the Spanish language version (same sets, different actors) back to back one night.  Will it happen again in the near future?  Anybody's guess.

The Universal classics were the mainstay of Shock Theater, the first horror movie series I remember watching on TV as a kid.  I would particularly like to see The Mad Doctor of Market Street and The Mystery of Marie Roget again, it's been yonks since I've seen them!

They may have all been shown on TCM at some point -- I don't know.

The Universal classics were the mainstay of Shock Theater, the first horror movie series I remember watching on TV as a kid.  I would particularly like to see The Mad Doctor of Market Street and The Mystery of Marie Roget again, it's been yonks since I've seen them!

They may have all been shown on TCM at some point -- I don't know.

Even if that's the case, most have been shown a handful of times or maybe even just once, in TCM's 20 year history-- while NORTH BY NORTHWEST approaches its 100th broadcast on the channel.

I have DirecTV, no digital.

If your direct box isn't too old, you can attach an Over The Air antenna to the back of the box. And you can get those digital channels in addition to your directv. You should contact Direct to make sure. In the back of your box there may even be a plug that says "antenna".

It might sound technical but, its really easy. Just difficult to explain in chat. For example, Here  in Los Angelese before digital we had about 50 channels or so. Now my tv can find 111 channels, all free. Of course many are another language but, you get the point.

I have to confess, tonight I spent some of my viewing time watching Me TV ; Svengoolie and THE WOLF MAN (one of the best of all of the Universal horror flicks).  I was just wondering, if Me TV didn't exist and TCM had broadcast a Svengoolie type show around a film during the 10 pm to midnight (est) what would the reaction be among the TCM viewers here?

I have to confess, tonight I spent some of my viewing time watching Me TV ; Svengoolie and THE WOLF MAN (one of the best of all of the Universal horror flicks).  I was just wondering, if Me TV didn't exist and TCM had broadcast a Svengoolie type show around a film during the 10 pm to midnight (est) what would the reaction be among the TCM viewers here?

I did too! I never got to watch the movie, due to the dangblasted amount of commercials, but I did see Rich Koz paying homage to Black Tooth and White Fang at his set door. At any rate, the man has been at it for 35 years, and I give him props for staying power in an ugly industry.

If TCM ran Svengoolie's show without commercial interruption? I'd be the first to watch.

NipkowDisc, I thought you liked this show? :huh:

Rich Koz IS a Chicago legend.

The Museum of Broadcast Communications & MeTV Network to Honor Rich Koz – Celebrating 35 years as 'Svengoolie'.....

official news release from September 3, 2014:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-museum-of-broadcast-communications--metv-network-to-honor-rich-koz---celebrating-35-years-as-svengoolie-273729661.html

from

Count Gregula's Crypt. An account of the evening's festivities:

http://www.chicagonow.com/count-gregulas-crypt/2014/10/event-recap-an-evening-with-rich-koz-celebrating-35-years-of-svengoolie/

Even if that's the case, most have been shown a handful of times or maybe even just once, in TCM's 20 year history-- while NORTH BY NORTHWEST approaches its 100th broadcast on the channel.

Are these reliable facts? Or is this just your opinion? 100 times in 20 years is a lot of showings. It could be 100 maybe more than 100. And if so I'd say in relation to films that are harder to rent like the Universal titles, then why not NBNW then?

It is probably Hitchcock's most favorite film of all of his titles. At least according to many of my friends.

Svengoolie is easily taking viewers away from TCM.

Seriously doubt this.  His movies are of one limited genre for one thing.  More importantly, he is continuously interrupting for inane commentary and long commercials.  Movies on TCM are never interrupted.  You may have to listen to silly comments at introduction and end (mute button works well here), but can watch the movies without interruption.

I have tried to watch Svengoolie and quit after the third long commercial break in about 20 minutes.  Even muting doesn't help.  Tried recording and fast forwarding and that didn't work either.

BTW, I watch MeTV for the old tv shows-and watch it frequently, even though I have cable with all the premium channels.

Regardless,this thread is getting really silly.  MeTV almost exclusively shows old tv shows, NOT movies.  TCM shows old movies and NO tv shows.

this network and gettv are much more of a competition to TCM than MeTV will ever be.

• Like 1

Seriously doubt this.  His movies are of one limited genre for one thing.  More importantly, he is continuously interrupting for inane commentary and long commercials.  Movies on TCM are never interrupted.  You may have to listen to silly comments at introduction and end (mute button works well here), but can watch the movies without interruption.

I have tried to watch Svengoolie and quit after the third long commercial break in about 20 minutes.  Even muting doesn't help.  Tried recording and fast forwarding and that didn't work either.

BTW, I watch MeTV for the old tv shows-and watch it frequently, even though I have cable with all the premium channels.

Regardless,this thread is getting really silly.  MeTV almost exclusively shows old tv shows, NOT movies.  TCM shows old movies and NO tv shows.

this network and gettv are much more of a competition to TCM than MeTV will ever be.

NO tv shows................... Johnny Carson.

Well, for one thing, there wouldn't be a need for this thread. LOL And for another, I think Svengoolie would have just as many fans, plus he would be joining Bob and Ben for those TCM cruises and film festivals!

TCM shows old movies and NO tv shows.

Not true. You are in error. Several times a year, TCM airs old episodes of The Screen Directors Playhouse. Plus, when Grace Kelly was Star of the Month, they broadcast two TV anthologies she did in the early 50s. TCM has also aired, a few times, a TV movie that Sal Mineo made in the 60s and when Joan Crawford was Star of the Month last January, they had a TV movie she made in the 60s. Also, as someone else said, every Saturday they show Johnny Carson clips. I am sure there may be more examples I am not even mentioning.