Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

I've asked before, but what does all this have to do with MeTV cutting into TCM's audience????

Is there a expiration date or execution date for threads that go totally beyond the original post?????

I've asked before, but what does all this have to do with MeTV cutting into TCM's audience????

Well we're still talking about Svengoolie's Saturday evening horror-fest on Me-TV each week. Svengoolie's show is cutting into TCM's audience for the Essentials program. And most have agreed that Essentials needs an overhaul in terms of less repetitious content and different co-hosting.

Well we're still talking about Svengoolie's Saturday evening horror-fest on Me-TV each week. Svengoolie's show is cutting into TCM's audience for the Essentials program. And most have agreed that Essentials needs an overhaul in terms of less repetitious content and different co-hosting.

Yes, this conversation seems to have a life of it's own and continues to draw people to it.

Again, as has been discussed at length in this thread and other threads... how can you or anyone else say "Svengoolie's show is cutting into TCM's audience for the Essentials program" when you have NO proof what so ever of any ratings info from TCM and how it would compare to ME-TV's ratings?

In the first place TCM does not subscribe to ratings services simply due to one major reason... they do not show regular television commercials on the channel. So there is no need for TCM to purchase rating services from any of the rating bureaus.

Add to that any idea what kind of ratings ME-TV gets? I am sure you could find out but again there would be no comparison available except of course the posters here who all say that they watch ME-TV on Saturday nights....

Not very scientific if I may say....

• Like 4

"Snowbirds", as they're often referred to, are part-time residents of the U.S. While there, it's easy to understand that they would cross the nearest international border to obtain meds at a reasonable cost. But trust me, when they're in Canada, there's no way they'd dream of driving all the way to Mexico for their meds.

If the U.S. didn't allow such price gouging, none of this would be happening. They'd only live in the U.S. for the warm weather part of the year, which is why they are part-time residents to begin with.

There are many snowbirds, from Canada as well as the US, that head south to Mexico, Central America, and other warm climes to spend the cold months. They are one of the reasons the "high season" in resorts.down there is during the winter. That and the often hot and.muggy summer climate. Prices rise accordingly.

One at a time. As in the first one retired...I went without for awhile, then hired the other one. The Australian gal is married to a Mexican American (and she's still in the process of getting her immigration papers pushed through). Her husband was born and raised in Arizona. When they cross the border into California-- like when they go to San Diego-- we have checkpoints at all the borders-- and as long as she doesn't open her mouth to speak (betraying her Australian accent), they never suspect her of being illegal. But her husband gets stopped and questioned all the time. And incidentally, the border patrol agents are not all white-- some of them are Mexican Americans themselves. This is the state of the world today, folks!

I don't know if this is stereotyping so much as just.plain ignorance. With the phrase "Mexican American" =with the operative.word here being "American"), why would.anyone not think they could work for.the Federal government?!

This reminds.me.early on working.for social services, when some of my coworkers.would routinely ask Puerto Ricans for their green.cards, but never think of asking Canadians.for the same,.on.the assumption that the former.must be.foreigners.and the latter not . Pure ingorance.

yeah, just what is so essential about Drew Barrymore anyway? Her last name? :D

The Essentials begins at 8:00 PM Eastern and Svengoolie begins at 10:00 PM Eastern.  How about Svengoolie getting a different host?

I don't know if this is stereotyping so much as just.plain ignorance. With the phrase "Mexican American" =with the operative.word here being "American"), why would.anyone not think they could work for.the Federal government?!

This reminds.me.early on working.for social services, when some of my coworkers.would routinely ask Puerto Ricans for their green.cards, but never think of asking Canadians.for the same,.on.the assumption that the former.must be.foreigners.and the latter not . Pure ingorance.

I think you're tapping into separate 'arguments' here. Yes, snowbirds are not automatically more law-abiding than other groups. (This is a hypothetical, folks, not a put-down against Canadians.)

I said that some of the border patrol agents were Mexican American to differentiate them from Mexican agents on the other side of the border. I hope that is clear. (I know, I know-- someone can say why didn't I just say American border patrol, but it is highly ironic that an Australian-born woman's husband is stopped and questioned at the checkpoints because he looks Mexican when the agents who are interrogating him look just like he does!)

I do think there is evidence of racism and discrimination within the Latino cultures. And not all Latinos, obviously, have an affinity for Mexico. My stepmother is from Colombia and though she has friends from Mexico, she gets offended if people lump her in with the Mexicans. She takes pride in being a Colombian-born American citizen.

We are getting away from the main topic under discussion, but I wanted to clarify a few points. Thanks for understanding!

yeah, just what is so essential about Drew Barrymore anyway? Her last name? :D

I think she is proof that you can be (moderately) successful in mainstream Hollywood but not quite cut it as an 'authority' figure about movies, no matter what your family background may be. 

I lived in an apartment building in West Hollywood in the early 2000s and they were still telling stories in the laundry room about the things she used to do when she lived there a few years earlier. Girlfriend is wild, or at least she was at that time.

I think she is proof that you can be (moderately) successful in mainstream Hollywood but not quite cut it as an 'authority' figure about movies, no matter what your family background may be. 

I lived in an apartment building in West Hollywood in the early 2000s and they were still telling stories in the laundry room about the things she used to do when she lived there a few years earlier. Girlfriend is wild, or at least she was at that time.

she's a Barrymore so it must be allowed. :) no one has screamed at an animatronic et with such aplumb has she did. :lol:

Any specific things you care to relate?

I think you're tapping into separate 'arguments' here. Yes, snowbirds are not automatically more law-abiding than other groups. (This is a hypothetical, folks, not a put-down against Canadians.)

I said that some of the border patrol agents were Mexican American to differentiate them from Mexican agents on the other side of the border. I hope that is clear. (I know, I know-- someone can say why didn't I just say American border patrol, but it is highly ironic that an Australian-born woman's husband is stopped and questioned at the checkpoints because he looks Mexican when the agents who are interrogating him look just like he does!)

I do think there is evidence of racism and discrimination within the Latino cultures. And not all Latinos, obviously, have an affinity for Mexico. My stepmother is from Colombia and though she has friends from Mexico, she gets offended if people lump her in with the Mexicans. She takes pride in being a Colombian-born American citizen.

We are getting away from the main topic under discussion, but I wanted to clarify a few points. Thanks for understanding!

Don't "white" Latinos discriminate against darker-skinned Latinos?

Don't "white" Latinos discriminate against darker-skinned Latinos?

Of course some do.     TB has a very valid point about this lumping of people into groups they don't wish to belong to.

e.g.  when I first meet my wife,   she and her Italian friends would see an asian and say 'hey, James those are you're friends'.  (she just arrived from Italy and therefore still viewed herself as Italian and hung out mostly with Italians).

I advised them never to say that to my mom because, being Japanese, she has a very strong dislike of Koreans and most other asians since that is how she was raised.     My wife still encounters this from time to time.   e.g. she took my mom to what she felt was a Japanese market.    My mom wouldn't buy anything and my wife could tell she was upset.   Finally my wife asked my mom what was wrong.    'This isn't a Japanese market,  these people are all Chinese!'.       

Of course some do.     TB has a very valid point about this lumping of people into groups they don't wish to belong to.

e.g.  when I first meet my wife,   she and her Italian friends would see an asian and say 'hey, James those are you're friends'.  (she just arrived from Italy and therefore still viewed herself as Italian and hung out mostly with Italians).

I advised them never to say that to my mom because, being Japanese, she has a very strong dislike of Koreans and most other asians since that is how she was raised.     My wife still encounters this from time to time.   e.g. she took my mom to what she felt was a Japanese market.    My mom wouldn't buy anything and my wife could tell she was upset.   Finally my wife asked my mom what was wrong.    'This isn't a Japanese market,  these people are all Chinese!'.       

In Puerto Rico, for example, most of the whites are relatively well-off economically, while those with darker skin generally are not, and are much more likely to come to the continental U.S. to seek better opportunity.

why didn't I just say American border patrol, but it is highly ironic that an Australian-born woman's husband is stopped and questioned at the checkpoints because he looks Mexican when the agents who are interrogating him look just like he does!

Imagine that. Along the border, south of which every single country is almost entirely populated by latino peoples, border patrol agents tend to be more suspicious of latino people crossing that border to enter the U.S. illegally than they are other races.

Doesn't make any sense at all.

A new production of The King and I will open at Lincoln Center Theater in Spring 2015. The Siamese King will be played by Ken Watanabe, a Japanese actor. These days, it might be politically incorrect to have a Caucasian actor play the role, but isn't having a Japanese man playing a Thai just another way of saying "they all look alike?"

A new production of The King and I will open at Lincoln Center Theater in Spring 2015. The Siamese King will be played by Ken Watanabe, a Japanese actor. These days, it might be politically incorrect to have a Caucasian actor play the role, but isn't having a Japanese man playing a Thai just another way of saying "they all look alike?"

Sorry Swithin, but your question here is JUST too "inscrutable" for me to answer one way OR the other!!! ;)

yes, I think it is. it should be kept in mind though that the important thing is not that an oriental actor play the siamese king but that a caucasian actor does not. :)

A producer has to cast someone that is a box office draw.   This is true of a movie or a play.    Ken Watanable is a well known 'asian' actor.   So casting him makes sense from that angle.  (someone like Chow Yun-Fat also).    I never had an issue with casting of someone of another race in a part that called for someone from a specific race \ culture.    My issue was when the actor didn't fit the part.   e.g.  too much make up was required and this is noticeable.

I don't know of any actors of Thai decent that are in the same fame category as Watanable or Yun-Fat.   

Okay, I went back and found tiki's earlier post about the schedule:

The Svengoolie schedule for October, for those of you interested.....

Oct 4 The Incredible Shrinking Man

Oct 11 The Uninvited

Oct 18 The Wolf Man

Oct 25 Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

Now, the question is-- what is coming up in November...?

Okay, I went back and found tiki's earlier post about the schedule:

The Svengoolie schedule for October, for those of you interested.....

Oct 4 The Incredible Shrinking Man

Oct 11 The Uninvited

Oct 18 The Wolf Man

Oct 25 Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

Now, the question is-- what is coming up in November...?

I doan know but there is this...

Me TV is adding Gomer Pyle, USMC. :D:D:D

I emailed ME-TV and called COMCAST- last night my beloved ROUTE 66 and THE NAKED CITY were bumped and 2 moronic Informercials were shown in their place. So watch out guys and keep your fingers crossed that ME-TV does NOT go that route into the dreaded Informercial land :angry:

Apparently the individual stations that carry MeTV (and I'm sure this may apply to other stations like THIS , ANTENNA , etc)  have the right to substitute their own programming for the network scheduled shows.  In my area , Philadelphia,  the local MeTV station runs local programming on Saturday evenings in place of BATMAN.  I'm sure this upsets a lot of viewers, but for me they  just better not screw around with ADAM 12,  then there's gonna'  be hell to pay from yours truly.