Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Well I'm psyched! According to my Svengoolie email:

Nov 22 THE GHOST & MR CHICKEN

I was just talking about this to MrTeek. It totally scared me as a kid but I just held in there knowing it was a hoax haunting. Gotta record it so the kid can see Don Knotts at his best. It's sad to think Knott's comedy is virtually unknown to millenials.

Reta Shaw, as always, makes a notable appearance as a psychic. 

I love when Svengoolie shows these "horror comedies" which I think are much stronger than the typical Universal horror. He also shows fave MUNSTER GO HOME as well as several Abbott & Costello..

Also in the schedule:

Nov 29th Black Cat

(the Karloff/Lugosi version, NOT the one we ran recently)

:)

Well I'm psyched! According to my Svengoolie email:

Nov 22 THE GHOST & MR CHICKEN

I was just talking about this to MrTeek. It totally scared me as a kid but I just held in there knowing it was a hoax haunting. Gotta record it so the kid can see Don Knotts at his best. It's sad to think Knott's comedy is virtually unknown to millenials.

Reta Shaw, as always, makes a notable appearance as a psychic. 

I love when Svengoolie shows these "horror comedies" which I think are much stronger than the typical Universal horror. He also shows fave MUNSTER GO HOME as well as several Abbott & Costello..

Also in the schedule:

Nov 29th Black Cat

(the Karloff/Lugosi version, NOT the one we ran recently)

Thanks for the update. I just received my Svengoolie email, too!

Bumping up again this most greatest of threads. :)

Tonite Boris Karloff in The Mummy. :)

tonite's vttbots ep is a real hoot too. Gary Merrill fills in for Richard Basehart as a guest Admiral. mad scientist John Dehner is creating humanoid fish that are naturally violently hostile to any human persons as per irwin allen's standing orders. you insure more action-adventure fun that way. naturally we get to see irwin allen's favorite fish alien suit. my favorite scene is a manfish crashing through a metal wall like it's paper and grabbing ahold of capt. crane all in the space of a few seconds. metal walls and such can never stop an irwin allen alien. :D

looks like I will be passing on me TV's programming for the most part tonite. might watch the two superman eps but have no interest in Karloff in The Mummy. seen it already fairly recently on tcm so will pass on that. of course I always watch lost in space and vttbots. saturdays are when pbs will show a flick. usually something to be passed up but not tonite. tonite a pbs rarity, a film worth watching. they're showin' The Caine Mutiny. can't go wrong with that. max steiner's rousing music, technicolor and good acting. imo, frozen strawberries should be eaten with vanilla ice cream.

"I will not be made a fool of. Do you hear me!" :D

ixc8yv.jpg

• Like 1

Svengoolie on Me-TV

images8.jpg

November 8th: THE MUMMY (1932)

Karloff solidifies his status as one of the greatest horror stars in film history with his terrifying yet surprisingly poignant performance as high priest Imhotep.

November 15th: FRANKENSTEIN (1931)

Dr. Henry Frankenstein wants to build a man in his own image, using the body of a dead man. He and his assistant Fritz dig up a freshly buried coffin. 

November 22nd: THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN (1966)

A timid typesetter who longs to be a reporter hopes to land a big story by spending a night in a haunted house.

Svengoolie on Me-TV

images8.jpg

Dr. Henry Frankenstein wants to build a man in his own image, using the body of a dead man. He and his assistant Fritz dig up a freshly buried coffin. 

A timid typesetter who longs to be a reporter hopes to land a big story by spending a night in a haunted house.

November 29th: THE BLACK CAT (1934)

A couple honeymooning in Hungary are trapped in the home of a Satanic priest.

Svengoolie on Me-TV

images8.jpg

got some good moments so I'll watch it. kinda always get a kick outta the monster throttling edward van sloan. :lol:

got some good moments so I'll watch it. kinda always get a kick outta the monster throttling edward van sloan. :lol:

I can't wait till the 29th. I love that version of THE BLACK CAT-- it's not very faithful to Poe's original story but it's very well made and highly entertaining.

looks like I will be passing on me TV's programming for the most part tonite.  but have no interest in Karloff in The Mummy. seen it already fairly recently on tcm so will pass on that.

Guess that's my beef too. Universal makes these titles readily available on 35mm. I've seen all the classic Universal "monster" movies in the theater with an audience as projected film ad nauseum over the past 5 years or so.

After seeing them THAT way, TV holds nothing special.

But the recorder is set for Don Knotts next week!

Not disputing anyone's pick here mind you, but as I recall, the only movie Don was in which was successful enough at the box office in order to spur a sequel was 1975's THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG, though of course he wasn't the lead in that one.

(...which is usually the best career move for actors known for being very good at being "the second banana")

• Like 1

Not disputing anyone's pick here mind you, but as I recall, the only movie Don was in which was successful enough at the box office in order to spur a sequel was 1975's THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG, though of course he wasn't the lead in that one.

(...which is usually the best career move for actors known for being very good at being "the second banana")

Good point, Dargo. TCM should devote an evening to Don Knotts and broadcast a few of his films. I don't think they've ever featured him before as part of a primetime spotlight, have they...?

Svengoolie is risking his reputation with showing some good quality.

I don't think Svengoolie is risking his reputation, I enjoy his out takes on the movies he presents and while he is fortunate to have a limited scope, his interruptions are usually worth something and while, I know none of the current Monster Movie stars, he does do some interviews.  I say when it is "ghoulish" on TCM Saturday night I watch Svengoolie and segue into the Lost in Space episodes.  

Also if TCM is really not meeting my interest I will watch Star Trek just to enjoy the story lines, which now that I am older, I am able to contemplate what Rodenberry was really saying about society. 

• Like 1

Good point, Dargo. TCM should devote an evening to Don Knotts and broadcast a few of his films. I don't think they've ever featured him before as part of a primetime spotlight, have they...?

I could not agree more. my selections...

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken

The Reluctant Astronaut

How to Frame a Fig g

I could not agree more. my selections...

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken

The Reluctant Astronaut

How to Frame a Fig g

Well, knowing TCM as we do, they would not pick three Universal selections. They would pick one Universal selection and make that the lead-off movie in primetime-- then they would use what they have in the Turner Library-- like NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS (so that in a wraparound they could discuss his working relationship with Andy Griffith) and THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET. They might use the late-night hours for IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD where he has a small part as a nervous motorist. That's how they would do it.

I have to smile sometimes when I see the programming challenges that people submit on these boards. Most of the time their dream schedules do not take into account the business model of TCM and the fact that broadcasts rely heavily on titles available through the Turner Library. In this case, a Don Knotts tribute would tap into the Turner Library and it would offer up one special rare title from outside the library. Because Svengoolie and his bosses at Weigel Broadcasting have the rights sewn up for THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN, TCM would have to choose a different Universal title or else get something from Disney. In 2008 or 2009, I remember seeing THE SHAKIEST GUN IN THE WEST (a Universal title) on TCM, so that would be a good crowd-pleasing possibility.

Well, knowing TCM as we do, they would not pick three Universal selections. They would pick one Universal selection and make that the lead-off movie in primetime-- then they would use what they have in the Turner Library-- like NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS (so that in a wraparound they could discuss his working relationship with Andy Griffith) and THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET. They might use the late-night hours for IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD where he has a small part as a nervous motorist. That's how they would do it.

I have to smile sometimes when I see the programming challenges that people submit on these boards. Most of the time their dream schedules do not take into account the business model of TCM and the fact that broadcasts rely heavily on titles available through the Turner Library. In this case, a Don Knotts tribute would tap into the Turner Library and it would offer up one special rare title from outside the library. Because Svengoolie and his bosses at Weigel Broadcasting have the rights sewn up for THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN, TCM would have to choose a different Universal title or else get something from Disney. In 2008 or 2009, I remember seeing THE SHAKIEST GUN IN THE WEST (a Universal title) on TCM, so that would be a good crowd-pleasing possibility.

well, the reason my mind wonders so much beyond the confines of the turner library is because when osborne and crew say they wanna honor a particular star, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt that they might actually mean what they are saying. :D

in regards to Don Knotts they really should try to show How to Frame a Fig g as it was his last solo vehicle for universal.

Svengoolie on Me-TV

images8.jpg

December 6th: THE MUMMY'S GHOST (1944)

A college student is stalked by an ancient mummy that believes her to be the reincarnation of an Egyptian princess. 

Svengoolie on Me-TV

images8.jpg

December 6th: THE MUMMY'S GHOST (1944)

A college student is stalked by an ancient mummy that believes her to be the reincarnation of an Egyptian princess.

December 13th: THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1942)

Dr. Ludwig Frankenstein gets the idea of replacing the monster's current criminal brain with a normal one.

Hey TB, why not just post the schedule ONCE, at the beginning of the month, like I did? 

Oh wait, I get it.

You repeat the schedule posts so you can add to your thread's post count. 

I think you're being unnecessarily rude. I take the information from the Me-TV website and they only list schedules out three weeks at a time. Not until I receive Svengoolie's newsletter on the first of the month do I know what is being shown for the whole upcoming month. I have no problem with you posting the last two weeks in December when you also get Sven's email, but I do have a problem with your rudeness.

I think you're being unnecessarily rude. I take the information from the Me-TV website and they only list schedules out three weeks at a time. Not until I receive Svengoolie's newsletter on the first of the month do I know what is being shown for the whole upcoming month. I have no problem with you posting the last two weeks in December when you also get Sven's email, but I do have a problem with your rudeness.

Not until I receive Svengoolie's newsletter on the first of the month

Get outta here! You get Svengoolie's newsletter? Thanks, TB, you just made me smile. Not too many posters on this site make me smile. Heretofore, I pictured you, Selectric poised on an impressive mahogany desk in a book lined library (house, not main street variety), in pipe and smoking jacket, vexed over how to start your next article, then inspiration, that damned (is that allowed here now?) elusive muse hits, and........................

Now I'm picturing you, watching the clock and listening for the sound of the mailperson's (damn that PC BS) footsteps, going to your mailbox in rapturous anticipation, for Svengoolie's newsletter. Oh no, wait, that was me, waiting for my list of the top 50 songs on WABC, back in the 1960s, when Dan Ingram and Ron Lundy ruled the airwaves and life was so much simpler, or at least I thought it was.  :D I shoulda kept those damned lists. Did you know my beloved Perry Como topped the charts in 1970? Imagine, when Pink Floyd ruled the radio?

I know I've asked this TB and been ignored, oh the humanity, but did you ever see Uncle Floyd? He was New Joisey's answer to Svengoolie.