Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Not until I receive Svengoolie's newsletter on the first of the month

Get outta here! You get Svengoolie's newsletter? Thanks, TB, you just made me smile. Not too many posters on this site make me smile. Heretofore, I pictured you, Selectric poised on an impressive mahogany desk in a book lined library (house, not main street variety), in pipe and smoking jacket, vexed over how to start your next article, then inspiration, that damned (is that allowed here now?) elusive muse hits, and........................

Now I'm picturing you, watching the clock and listening for the sound of the mailperson's (damn that PC BS) footsteps, going to your mailbox in rapturous anticipation, for Svengoolie's newsletter. Oh no, wait, that was me, waiting for my list of the top 50 songs on WABC, back in the 1960s, when Dan Ingram and Ron Lundy ruled the airwaves and life was so much simpler, or at least I thought it was.  :D I shoulda kept those damned lists. Did you know my beloved Perry Como topped the charts in 1970? Imagine, when Pink Floyd ruled the radio?

I know I've asked this TB and been ignored, oh the humanity, but did you ever see Uncle Floyd? He was New Joisey's answer to Svengoolie.

You will really trip on what I'm about to say next...Svengoolie is located in Chicago. But he tours around. And I've seriously considered going to meet him at one of those fan conventions or autograph-signing events. I'm definitely a fan of his.

Never saw Uncle Floyd, though!

The newsletter is emailed on the first day of each month. So tomorrow, I will be checking my yahoo in-box like clockwork! LOL

You will really trip on what I'm about to say next...Svengoolie is located in Chicago. But he tours around. And I've seriously considered going to meet him at one of those fan conventions or autograph-signing events. I'm definitely a fan of his.

Never saw Uncle Floyd, though!

The newsletter is emailed on the first day of each month. So tomorrow, I will be checking my yahoo in-box like clockwork! LOL

I think he's a hoot! A throwback to my 1960s fanatical childhood*, before I became a jaded old coot.

I don't blame you - walk, don't run, and tell him hello for me, and to keep up the good work. Oh, and tell him I hate the amount of commercials on his show. :D Yeah, yeah, they pay the bills.

*I told you about my Frank Nastasi letter, didn't I? Threw out that damned letter too!

No you didn't. Spill...

The year was 1966 (I think) and I was a meek shy (imagine??) 16 year old dolt then. My friends were going to see Soupy Sales at his studio in NYC, and my parents wouldn't let me go. Yeah, try that nowadays.

They had a great time, and found Frank Nastasi to be the nicest of the cast. He was the voice of White Fang and Black Tooth and many other characters and ------ originated afaik the arm out the door frame that Svengoolie copies. At any rate, my friends explained my pathetic inability to be there, and Frank hand wrote me a note, the bulk of which I don't remember, but signed off by wishing me luck in college. 

As I said, I wish I had kept that note.

Oh, and I wasn't allowed to see the Beatles at Shea Stadium either. 

The year was 1966 (I think) and I was a meek shy (imagine??) 16 year old dolt then. My friends were going to see Soupy Sales at his studio in NYC, and my parents wouldn't let me go. Yeah, try that nowadays.

They had a great time, and found Frank Nastasi to be the nicest of the cast. He was the voice of White Fang and Black Tooth and many other characters and ------ originated afaik the arm out the door frame that Svengoolie copies. At any rate, my friends explained my pathetic inability to be there, and Frank hand wrote me a note, the bulk of which I don't remember, but signed off by wishing me luck in college. 

Interesting story. Traumatic upbringing you had. :)

waiting for my list of the top 50 songs on WABC, back in the 1960s, when Dan Ingram and Ron Lundy ruled the airwaves and life was so much simpler,

Jeez, how many times was a song interrupted with the blaring recording of "Daaaaaaaaaaaan Ingram!!!"

I did get to go to Soupy's show (dating a boy at the time who was interviewing Soupy for the Bronx HS of Science newspaper, and I did go the Beatles Shea Stadium concert

Ah yes, "Cousin" Bruce Morrow.  Whose cousin was he anyway?

Do you remember a song called "Big Bruce?"  It had nothing to do with Bruce Morrow, by the way. It was a takeoff on "Big John," and was hysterically funny and somewhat tasteless. I think it was yanked off the airwaves after a few spins.

Do you remember a song called "Big Bruce?"  It had nothing to do with Bruce Morrow, by the way. It was a takeoff on "Big John," and was hysterically funny and somewhat tasteless. I think it was yanked off the airwaves after a few spins.

Big Bad Bruce was clearly a satire on a certain effeminate stereotype. Late 60's release I believe.

Ah yes, "Cousin" Bruce Morrow.  Whose cousin was he anyway?

Did you know that Randy Sparks of The New Christy Ministrels wrote Big Bad Bruce? It was funny. Jimmy Dean was P-i-s-s-e-d LOL

I did get to go to Soupy's show (dating a boy at the time who was interviewing Soupy for the Bronx HS of Science newspaper, and I did go the Beatles Shea Stadium concert

Cool. But.........you have nothing to kvetch about 50 years later!  :lol:

Remember Philo Kvetch?

Of course I remember Philo Kvetch and White Fang and Black Tooth. I LOVED Soupy Sales. I use to watch Lunch with Soupy Sales, he would  write what he was having for lunch on a blackboard, tomato soup and grilled cheese. I took a tv tray table and ate lunch while I watched the show. I remember when he did the show plastered and asked all the kids to go into daddy pockets, take out whatever money they found in the pants pockets and send it to him.

Soupy was suspended from the program for weeks LOL

I've got more important things to "kvetch" about then childhood memories and TCM programming, unfortunately

Of course I remember Philo Kvetch and White Fang and Black Tooth. I LOVED Soupy Sales. I use to watch when he wrote what he was having for lunch on a blackboard, tomato soup and grilled cheese. He use to call it Lunch With Soupy Sales. I took a tv tray table and ate lunch while I watched. I remember when he did the show plastered and asked all the kids to go into daddy pockets, take out whatever money they had and send it to him.

Soupy was suspended from the program for weeks LOL

I've got more important things to "kvetch" about then childhood memories and TCM programming, unfortunately

I bet most of us do, lavenderblue, this board is just a stopover in our daily kvetches. Do you remember Sandy Becker and Wonderama as well?

Is there a sudden haze, no not that kind of haze, behind everyone's posts?

The mother of one of my friends was a big Alan Burke fan. Going to watch

good ole Alan's freak show in person was one of her favorite activities. She

might even have been an official Burke Booster or whatever it was called.

Weird.

I remember watching Alan Burke -- he was a forerunner of O'Reilly and his ilk, though I think Joe Pyne, of similar vintage, was O'Reilly's real predecessor. 

The mother of one of my friends was a big Alan Burke fan. Going to watch

good ole Alan's freak show in person was one of her favorite activities. She

might even have been an official Burke Booster or whatever it was called.

Weird.

Pink Floyd ruled the radio in 1970? Okayyyy. :)

Guess I was off by 3 years, so sue me.

Joe Pyne, David Susskind, and Alan Burke, they were all the rage (at least in my house) in the late 1960s.

TB said: I think you're being unnecessarily rude. Not until I receive Svengoolie's newsletter on the first of the month do I know what is being shown for the whole upcoming month.

You are correct, but my intent was not to be rude..... I was just poking you, hence the "poking" gif. 

But why not just post the schedule once? I'm sure readers will see it.

Funny to see this thread meander into the world of "hosts", as I find regional "horror hosts" especially interesting.

I suppose Susskind was the class act among these three, but considering the

other two, that's not saying much. I recall one very strange Susskind show. He

had a few men on who were being abused by their wives or girlfriends and I believe

they were wearing these rather cheap jack masks to maintain their anonymity.

It was a serious subject, but it was hard to keep a straight face while watching

that one. Even Dave was trying not to smile while he kept busy shuffling his

notes.

I knew Atom Heart Mother wasn't that much of a hit. I think the members of

Pink Floyd have been litigating amongst themselves enough to make up for

anyone else.

I actually think I remember that show. I remember that type of show, including Morton Downey Jr., being like the wrestling that my grandmother used to watch, and believe. We knew their shouting was fake, but found it entertaining. Incredible that it's still being done today, with the likes of Bill O'Reilly et al.

I was thinking of Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall (a really cool movie as well, imo), and Wish You Were Here. I consider them the best band ever, so there you go. Plus, I relate to their view of life.

I remember a bit about Joe Pyne, but I was much more familiar with Burke. He was

pretty hot for a few years and then he seemed to fade away rather quickly. Definitely

an entertaining program. Maybe this is misplaced nostalgia, but I recall Burke as

being a bit more intelligent than the current crop of these folks.

Burke did seem pretty intelligent, as I recall.  I remember some of his more provocative shows, with Allen Ginsberg, LeRoi Jones, etc. And the audience members who came up to ask questions -- some of them were hilarious!  Pyne was more right-wing, although Burke was pretty conservative.  The more liberal host of that era, Les Crane, had quite an interesting show as well. He had some great guests.

Way past time to close this post as it no longer relates to the original topic.

That's funny. I think you meant thread, not post. But since when is the criteria for shutting down a thread the fact that it has evolved from the original topic? If so, then a lot of threads would need to be shut down on this message board. Right? :)