Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

That's funny. I think you meant thread, not post. But since when is the criteria for shutting down a thread the fact that it has evolved from the original topic? If so, then a lot of threads would need to be shut down on this message board. Right? :)

Right.

A lot of threads? Almost all the threads.

And since when do posters decide it's time to shut down a thread?

Right.

A lot of threads? Almost all the threads.

And since when do posters decide it's time to shut down a thread?

Since a poster (who obviously keeps wanting to post on said thread) has decided he doesn't like the thread anymore. That's when it's time to run home to Mommy and get a pudding pop.

Just received the December newsletter from Svengoolie. The other two titles in December will be:

I SAW WHAT YOU DID (1965) starring Joan Crawford & John Ireland (I love this film!)

THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS (1940) starring Cedric Hardwicke & Vincent Price

I watch metv every weekend.  on sunday nights at 1am The Saint /Naked City & Peter Gunn

On weekdays I tape Perry Mason.  I use vhs tapes and run thru the ads.

TCM is in big trouble now.  They have played their catalog to death & now boredom has set in.  In my city TCM comes in blurry.  Metv is higher quality.  I have gotten discs of movies off TCM from other cities and it is much better than what I see here. 

TV like anything else burns out.  Once they get a show on tv the producers begin to water it down.

example: Wanted Dead or Alive.  first the ultimate loner got a sidekick / then the scripts were childish.  a classic example of destroying a show.

While TCM does not use ads inserted into the movie, they have so many ads now that it is really depressing. 

TCM is refusing to show the greatest movies ever made.  German Silents.  its myopic.

I will ask you TCM board members to name what German Silents have been on TCM?

Phantom

metropolis

pandora's box

joyless street (unauthorized version)

hands of orlac

spione

caligari

love of pharoah

nosferatu

I can't name anymore at the moment.  TCM needs to show american movies.  ok but another part of the usefulness of the channel is to educate people.  this is where tcm bogs down.

German Silents are great and the reason they are great is because they knew human nature and could take a camera apart.  So many great actors / directors / photographers / craft people

came out of there during WWII that this needs to be acknowledged.

TCM by ignoring German silents is a massive sellout to subscribers.  Its no wonder fans are tuning in Metv.  We are not chimpanzees.  We need to end the constant repitition. 

• Like 1

I watch metv every weekend.  on sunday nights at 1am The Saint /Naked City & Peter Gunn

I do as well when TCM is a "snooze".  I love watching Star Trek etc.  Then on Sundays I watch Catch Me if You Can, even though the clothes and home decor send me into spasms of self loathing.  Avacado green, harvest gold, bell bottom pants and big hair. 

TCM is in big trouble now.  They have played their catalog to death & now boredom has set in.  In my city TCM comes in blurry.  Metv is higher quality.  I have gotten discs of movies off TCM from other cities and it is much better than what I see here. 

TV like anything else burns out.  Once they get a show on tv the producers begin to water it down.

example: Wanted Dead or Alive.  first the ultimate loner got a sidekick / then the scripts were childish.  a classic example of destroying a show.

While TCM does not use ads inserted into the movie, they have so many ads now that it is really depressing. 

TCM is refusing to show the greatest movies ever made.  German Silents.  its myopic.

I will ask you TCM board members to name what German Silents have been on TCM?

Phantom

metropolis

hands of orlac

spione

caligari

love of pharoah

nosferatu

I can't name anymore at the moment.  TCM needs to show american movies.  ok but another part of the usefulness of the channel is to educate people.  this is where tcm bogs down.

German Silents are great and the reason they are great is because they knew human nature and could take a camera apart.  So many great actors / directors / photographers / craft people

came out of there during WWII that this needs to be acknowledged.

TCM by ignoring German silents is a massive sellout to subscribers.  Its no wonder fans are tuning in Metv.  We are not chimpanzees.  We need to end the constant repitition. 

Last time I checked German silents were not American movies.     

TCM is in big trouble now.  They have played their catalog to death & now boredom has set in. 

Its no wonder fans are tuning in Metv.  We are not chimpanzees.  We need to end the constant repitition. 

well said...very well said.

"that's the situation in a nut." -Doc Velie (Walter Brennan), Bad Day at Black Rock

:)

well said...very well said.

"that's the situation in a nut." -Doc Velie (Walter Brennan), Bad Day at Black Rock

:)

You have no idea is TCM is losing viewers or not.   No idea at all.   Hey,  they might be but you saying they do is you just making things up.

I still wonder is bopper isn't just you using another log on nickname.

• Like 1

You have no idea is TCM is losing viewers or not.   No idea at all.   Hey,  they might be but you saying they do is you just making things up.

But james, let's say Poster X says he or she is now watching Me-TV on Saturday nights instead of TCM's Mostly Unknowledgeable Drew Barrymore Younger Demographic Show (oops, I mean Essentials). That right there says TCM has lost one viewer.

So it's true-- TCM is losing viewers because the viewer has come on to the website to give direct feedback reporting that they are now changing the channel when Drew comes on the screen.

But james, let's say Poster X says he or she is now watching Me-TV on Saturday nights instead of TCM's Mostly Unknowledgeable Drew Barrymore Younger Demographic Show (oops, I mean Essentials). That right there says TCM has lost one viewer.

So it's true-- TCM is losing viewers because the viewer has come on to the website to give direct feedback reporting that they are now changing the channel when Drew comes on the screen.

Yes,  TCM is losing viewers to other stations like Me-TV.   As you recall I made the same point about the MOVIES station as it relates to me enjoying the 40s and 50s Fox films they show that TCM does NOT show.    

My comment was related to this point made: TCM is in big trouble now.      

For all know, for every viewer that goes to another station instead of TCM,   there is a viewer that is going from another station TO TCM.      The bottom line is we just don't know.       This is why I said they might be losing viewers (in the aggregate),  but anyone that says they know for sure is just making it up.

TCM is only in 'big trouble' if their total viewership is going down. 

I still wonder is bopper isn't just you using another log on nickname.

To quote actor Richard Lee Sung as Kim Luc from an episode of mash "This is me!" :P

No, jamesjazzguitar, I don't need another account to make such an obvious common sense observation as Big_Bopper has

he states the obvious.

209ko3s.jpg

To quote actor Richard Lee Sung as Kim Luc from an episode of mash "This is me!" :P

No, jamesjazzguitar, I don't need another account to make such an obvious common sense observation as Big_Bopper has

he states the obvious.

One has to have common sense to make a common sense observation.

Agreed. We know TCM is losing viewers. But we don't know how many.

Yes, how many is key.    Anyhow I feel we are in agreement here as it relates to TCM and their programming.  e.g. we are both open about the 'issues' with TCM programming and willing to mention them.    I do understand your POV that some people at this forum are just not willing to admit the truth in this regard.    BUT I also try to strike a balance as it relates to people that are overstating just how bad they feel TCM is.     

TCM still shows more studio-era movies,  'uncut' (well mostly),  without commercials (but yea, hawking products between movies),  then anyone other station by far.    But as I noted on the Grant thread (as I do often),  TCM needs to work harder on getting movies from outside the Turner library,  have less repeats of the 'classics' from that library,  as well as being more creative in how they arrange the movies they show.

But as I noted on the Grant thread (as I do often),  TCM needs to work harder on getting movies from outside the Turner library,  have less repeats of the 'classics' from that library,  as well as being more creative in how they arrange the movies they show.

I was thinking about this earlier today. Last January, they had Joan Crawford as SOTM and 95% of the films came from the Turner Library-- and more than half of those are in frequent rotation. But I think the way they grouped those films and gave her one night where the emphasis was on her silent film phase, and then later in the month, we had one night that focused on her 60s horror phase-- I felt like it worked. They used what they had in house and put together a good career retrospective. But because she spent so many years at MGM and then Warners, it was easy for them to put that collection of films together.

Now, if they were going to try to do a career overview for Susan Hayward, it would most definitely come up short-- because they are not going to spend gobs of cash renting films from Paramount and Fox. They will throw in one or two token films from outside the library, then they will be stuck using what is in the Turner Library plus some inferior quality public domain prints. It would in no way be as satisfying as the Crawford tribute. So what I am saying is that depending on the star and what they have at their fingertips, it will either be a good Star of the Month scheduling, or a poor one.

I was thinking about this earlier today. Last January, they had Joan Crawford as SOTM and 95% of the films came from the Turner Library-- and more than half of those are in frequent rotation. But I think the way they grouped those films and gave her one night where the emphasis was on her silent film phase, and then later in the month, we had one night that focused on her 60s horror phase-- I felt like it worked. They used what they had in house and put together a good career retrospective. But because she spent so many years at MGM and then Warners, it was easy for them to put that collection of films together.

Now, if they were going to try to do a career overview for Susan Hayward, it would most definitely come up short-- because they are not going to spend gobs of cash renting films from Paramount and Fox. They will throw in one or two token films from outside the library, then they will be stuck using what is in the Turner Library plus some inferior quality public domain prints. It would in no way be as satisfying as the Crawford tribute. So what I am saying is that depending on the star and what they have at their fingertips, it will either be a good Star of the Month scheduling, or a poor one.

What you say here is so true.   I also enjoyed how TCM scheduled Joan as SOTM.    Using Grant as this months SOTM as an example,  I can see how Grant fans mights say "what is there to complain about" since most of his 'hits' are being shown as well as many of his so called secondary movies.    But for someone that has seen these Grant movies mulitple times,  I was really looking forward to Grant movies I hadn't seen before or had seen a long time ago.   Hey,  The Eagle and the Hawk fit the bill,  but sadly TCM isn't showing the two 1936 movies Grant made with Joan Bennett.    

As for Fox stars like Hayward;  I would rather TCM not honor them as SOTM unless they are going to get access to more than just one of two of the Fox films they don't already have access to today.   e.g. At least one premier each day she is SOTM. 

• Like 1

When it comes to my posts James you are hitting a wrong chord in your misinterpretation.  I said TCM needs to educate the public as well as just throwing studio pix out there day after day after day.  And showing german silents is an education.  The hangup is a committee chooses what gets on & the committee is the spanish inquisition.  The people in europe have been spending a ton of money restoring the german silents and the TCM committee is going to ignore all that and just dump more mickey rooney meets judy garland for the 100th time upon us.  Not only is it an insult but its force-fed infantilism.

No need to bring up that old troll business.  I already said I got no puppets working for me.  If somebody likes what I write its not me liking me (altho I love me) I don't need a puppet.  I can't be bothered 

I have some german silents TCM could use to unbore us

Student of prague 1915

Student of prague 1926

golem 1920

scherben 1920 (shattered)

sappho 1921 (pola negri)

madame dubarry 1919

anna boleyn 1920

die strasse (the street) 1923

raskolnikov 1923

furcht 1917 (already mentioned)

joyless street 1925 (restored)

diary of a lost girl 1929

asphalt 1929

variete 1925

abwege 1928

alraune 1927

destiny 1921

& many many more.

TCM / WB could get archive prints using their corporate persuasion. 

the committee has taken these titles - put them in a metal box.  locked it.  put that box inside another metal box.  locked that.  put both boxes inside a safe.  to be opened in the year 2525.

When it comes to my posts James you are hitting a wrong chord in your misinterpretation.  I said TCM needs to educate the public as well as just throwing studio pix out there day after day after day.  And showing german silents is an education.  The hangup is a committee chooses what gets on & the committee is the spanish inquisition.  The people in europe have been spending a ton of money restoring the german silents and the TCM committee is going to ignore all that and just dump more mickey rooney meets judy garland for the 100th time upon us.  Not only is it an insult but its force-fed infantilism.

No need to bring up that old troll business.  I already said I got no puppets working for me.  If somebody likes what I write its not me liking me (altho I love me) I don't need a puppet.  I can't be bothered 

I have some german silents TCM could use to unbore us

Student of prague 1915

Student of prague 1926

golem 1920

scherben 1920 (shattered)

sappho 1921 (pola negri)

madame dubarry 1919

anna boleyn 1920

die strasse (the street) 1923

raskolnikov 1923

furcht 1917 (already mentioned)

joyless street 1925 (restored)

diary of a lost girl 1929

asphalt 1929

variete 1925

abwege 1928

alraune 1927

destiny 1921

& many many more.

TCM / WB could get archive prints using their corporate persuasion. 

the committee has taken these titles - put them in a metal box.  locked it.  put that box inside another metal box.  locked that.  put both boxes inside a safe.  to be opened in the year 2525.

I'm all for TCM showing more diverse programming (instead of the same stuff they tend to show) and the German silents you mention fit that bill but I'm not buying your point about how the TCM 'committee' operates.   Do you really have inside knowledge of how this so called committee works and that they have discussed these German silents and decide to ignore them,  intentionally?  

For example,  many have speculated that TCM doesn't show many Fox,  Universal and early Paramount films (owned now by Universal), because TCM is too cheap to lease them.   That might be the case but no one at this forum really knows the reason why.  

We don't know about the committee because its secret.  & its secret because the idea is a disgrace.  But it has to be true.  the ideology of the committee is typical tv ideology.  Don't give viewers anything that will cause them to think.  ******** CENSORSHIP ALERT *********************** a sentence was removed HERE.

The pix I listed can be got dirt cheap.  its the content that sets the committee off.  prostitution / reincarnation / mysticism / dual personality (doppelganger) / offbeat religions / hypnosis / mind control / anything and everthing good or bad about human nature are in those films. 

TCM has candy coated their subscribers minds thru use of repetitive propaganda to such an extent, it will take a miracle to reverse it.  TCM is actually bad for your mental health.  Too much andy hardy will make you delusional. 

We don't know about the committee because its secret.  & its secret because the idea is a disgrace.  But it has to be true.  the ideology of the committee is typical tv ideology.  Don't give viewers anything that will cause them to think. [...]

The pix I listed can be got dirt cheap.  its the content that sets the committee off.  prostitution / reincarnation / mysticism / dual personality (doppelganger) / offbeat religions / hypnosis / mind control / anything and everthing good or bad about human nature are in those films. 

TCM has candy coated their subscribers minds thru use of repetitive propaganda to such an extent, it will take a miracle to reverse it.  TCM is actually bad for your mental health.  Too much andy hardy will make you delusional. 

Your post speaks for itself.    I'm glad you posted it so everyone can make up their own mind who is delusional.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited to remove comment
  • Like 4

Your post speaks for itself.    I'm glad you posted it so everyone can make up their own mind who is delusional.

I don't want to hurt your feelings so I will try and word this with that in mind.  Do not quote me or post about anything I write.  If you need to confront somebody find somebody else.

• Like 1

I don't want to hurt your feelings so I will try and word this with that in mind.  Do not quote me or post about anything I write.  If you need to confront somebody find somebody else.

Bopper,

Let's move forward. I want to see you have some friends around here. What do you like about TCM? Let's find something positive to discuss, okay...?

Do you watch Svengoolie? Or do you watch Essentials? What kind of classic film do you mostly enjoy?

You can't hurt my feelings.   I'll post as I wish.    Have a nice day.

You can't hurt my feelings.   I'll post as I wish.    Have a nice day.

james,

I know this is something where I shouldn't step in, but I don't understand why you and Bopper are going out of each other's way to not get along. Usually you're one of the friendlier posters around here. Let Bopper learn how to make friends without being his enemy. Thank you.