Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

I don't always check my email every day, and I just remembered I should have received Svengoolie's January newsletter. Here it is, with the five films he will be screening this month on Me-TV:

1me.png

1sven.png

BUMP :lol:

what an awful movie The Black Castle is. doan think I've ever seen it before because I'd remember seeing something as bad as that before.
The Black Castle sure coulda used Roger Corman that's all I gotta say. terribly uninspired direction and some very lame dialogue by all. so many wasted talents here. John Hoyt as some pansy villainous aristocrat but Michael Pate was good as his partner though.
director Nathan Juran builds the film around Robin Hood Richard Greene and western baddie Stephen MacNally as the insidiously evil Count Von Bruno.
for gleeful fun he fl ogs a caged up african leopard and considers it gentlemanly to shoot said leopard after it attacks Richard Greene during a hunt.
there's this female party goer who MacNally brags is tougher than most of the male participants but the poor girl has not a single line of dialogue in the film...although she is seen nuzzling up to the count somewhat wantonly
The count's wife's explanation to Greene for being there is she was just plain dumb enough to marry the guy. great depth of story! Juran's batting a thousand with that one.
utterly wasted in this is Boris Karloff as a physician and Lon Chaney Jr. as the brutish-seeming gargan. for some reason Nathan Juran gives these two iconic horror giants very little screen time.
gargan gets tumbled into a pool of man-eating crocodiles (imported by the count from west africa no doubt) and Karloff gets a shiv in the back from the count.
Beckett and the Countess Von Bruno escape being buried alive but who cares it's such a awful movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044423/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

what an awful movie The Black Castle is. doan think I've ever seen it before because I'd remember seeing something as bad as that before.

The Black Castle sure coulda used Roger Corman that's all I gotta say. terribly uninspired direction and some very lame dialogue by all. so many wasted talents here. John Hoyt as some pansy villainous aristocrat but Michael Pate was good as his partner though.

director Nathan Juran builds the film around Robin Hood Richard Greene and western baddie Stephen MacNally as the insidiously evil Count Von Bruno.

for gleeful fun he fl ogs a caged up african leopard and considers it gentlemanly to shoot said leopard after it attacks Richard Greene during a hunt.

there's this female party goer who MacNally brags is tougher than most of the male participants but the poor girl has not a single line of dialogue in the film...although she is seen nuzzling up to the count somewhat wantonly

The count's wife's explanation to Greene for being there is she was just plain dumb enough to marry the guy. great depth of story! Juran's batting a thousand with that one.

utterly wasted in this is Boris Karloff as a physician and Lon Chaney Jr. as the brutish-seeming gargan. for some reason Nathan Juran gives these two iconic horror giants very little screen time.

gargan gets tumbled into a pool of man-eating crocodiles (imported by the count from west africa no doubt) and Karloff gets a shiv in the back from the count.

Beckett and the Countess Von Bruno escape being buried alive but who cares it's such a awful movie.

Yes, but Rich's takeoff on Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder was hilarious.

What The Black Castle coulda used was MST3K, the original group.

Thanks for sharing your views, Nipkow. I like these actors very much, but as you say, they could have had better direction in this production.

BUMP :)

tonite's a good 'un, kiddies...

Island of Lost Souls.

Charles Laughton a couple of years before he started yellin' Mr. Christian! at Clark Gable.

it's got Lota the panther woman too. :)

de03k2.jpg

• Like 1

BUMP :)

tonite's a good 'un, kiddies...

Island of Lost Souls.

Charles Laughton a couple of years before he started yellin' Mr. Christian! at Clark Gable.

it's got Lota the panther woman too. :)

de03k2.jpg

...and still another ole bumperoo on this, The Thread That Will Not Die!!! ... they could turn this thread into a horror movie, maybe it could get so big it could start reaching out and devouring people at their computers (or something like that, I'm sure they can think of something) Well, at least on the current Bump (not to confused with Dump, one hopes anyway), we can get a load 'a Lota.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Charles Laughton as Moreau was quite good.

Lota coulda been better though. her attacking the beast man at the end doan wash.

unfortunately, about the only frisky thing she did was grab Parker's book away from him and dump it in the pool.

Moreau wanted Lota to nuzzle up to Parker. uh..why wasn't he interested in his own panther babe? :huh::)

interesting comment svengoolie made about the film having gotten no restoration.

he said paramount sold it to universal for tv distribution and somehow or other it has gotten no restoration.

strange. it's only 82 years old. :)

Charles Laughton as Moreau was quite good.

I think he is the best Moreau.

Burt Lancaster played the role in 1977's THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU, and Marlon Brando took on the part in a 1996 offering, also called THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU.

But to me, Laughton really best captures the oddity or strangeness of the character.

I think he is the best Moreau.

Burt Lancaster played the role in 1977's THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU, and Marlon Brando took on the part in a 1996 offering, also called THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU.

But to me, Laughton really best captures the oddity or strangeness of the character.

I agree with Lancaster coming in as the 2nd best Moreau.

Brando doan have to play Moreau to be weird. :D

interesting comment svengoolie made about the film having gotten no restoration.

he said paramount sold it to universal for tv distribution and somehow or other it has gotten no restoration.

strange. it's only 82 years old. :)

That's an interesting comment. I believe it. Not every classic old film is going to get a nice restoration. In this case, I am surprised the folks at Criterion haven't jumped at the chance. 

svengoolie is cutting these movies to have more time to trash them.  on that score alone i'd throw the switch on the creep.  fry 'im up good

I wonder if Sven is the reason we can't get these same DIGITAL films complete and uncut on TCM? I mean, like who in their right minds would prefer to watch butchered films on ME when they could be watched in their original glory on TCM? With all due respect to Sven, his program is a bad comedy show with the films used as material for his lousy jokes. I don't remember exactly, but I don't think Zacherly ever mocked these films the way Sven does.    

• Like 1

svengoolie is cutting these movies to have more time to trash them.  on that score alone i'd throw the switch on the creep.  fry 'im up good

svengoolie joins them in progress after his breaks and does not cut them and does not trash them. did not hear him trash island of lost souls in any way that I heard.

svengoolie could be more funny though.

I wish me tv would get rid of him and replace him with commander usa.

"get that fat dork outta there! time for the commander to take over."

25uryhu.jpg

I wonder if Sven is the reason we can't get these same DIGITAL films complete and uncut on TCM? I mean, like who in their right minds would prefer to watch butchered films on ME when they could be watched in their original glory on TCM? With all due respect to Sven, his program is a bad comedy show with the films used as material for his lousy jokes. I don't remember exactly, but I don't think Zacherly ever mocked these films the way Sven does.    

The only reason to watch a film on a station other then TCM is because TCM doesn't show the film.    So I assume other stations are paying more for a limited exclusive lease and TCM can't lease them until that lease has expired OR that the lease price is jacked up by these other stations and the cost falls outside what TCM is willing to pay.  

Because if TCM can lease films from studios like Universal and Fox at a 'reasonable' price (a price that fits their overall budget) and just don't,  TCM needs new programmers.

svengoolie joins them in progress after his breaks and does not cut them and does not trash them. did not hear him trash island of lost souls in any way that I heard.

"get that fat dork outta there! time for the commander to take over."

25uryhu.jpg

Sorry, but some of the longer movies are cut to make room for his shtick. He doesn't always comeback to where they left off after commercial breaks, anyone with a DVD or VHS tape would know that. And as for trashing these films, that's what he's all about and what he gets paid for doing. Funny that this kind of stuff is never done with films of other genres. I guess these classic horror and sci fi films lend themselves to this kind of low brow humor.  

Funny that this kind of stuff is never done with films of other genres. I guess these classic horror and sci fi films lend themselves to this kind of low brow humor.  

Yeah, infinite. I think that one time these guys here...

mystery-science-theater-3000-mystery-sci

...tried to poke a little fun at "Casablanca", they found it a lot tougher to get a laugh.

;)

The only reason to watch a film on a station other then TCM is because TCM doesn't show the film.    So I assume other stations are paying more for a limited exclusive lease and TCM can't lease them until that lease has expired OR that the lease price is jacked up by these other stations and the cost falls outside what TCM is willing to pay.  

Because if TCM can lease films from studios like Universal and Fox at a 'reasonable' price (a price that fits their overall budget) and just don't,  TCM needs new programmers.

Who is paying for the films that TCM shows, is it TCM or TIME-WARNER? I have to wonder sometimes if TCM is still an independent entity or just a brand name that takes it's marching orders from the parent company, TIME-WARNER. If TCM(TIME-WARNER) has the money (and TIME-WARNER obviously does) to lease films from studios like Universal and Fox and doesn't it's not so much the TCM programmers as TIME-WARNER not giving a damn AND TCM not wanting to rock the boat. 

But, why would Universal prefer for their films to be showcased in such a disrespectful fashion on ME when there is an outlet (TCM) that would show their FILMS in a respectful way AND at the same time market their products on TCM's very own shop at home site? It just doesn't make sense. 

Who is paying for the films that TCM shows, is it TCM or TIME-WARNER? I have to wonder sometimes if TCM is still an independent entity or just a brand name that takes it's marching orders from the parent company, TIME-WARNER. If TCM(TIME-WARNER) has the money (and TIME-WARNER obviously does) to lease films from studios like Universal and Fox and doesn't it's not so much the TCM programmers as TIME-WARNER not giving a damn AND TCM not wanting to rock the boat. 

But, why would Universal prefer for their films to be showcased in such a disrespectful fashion on ME when there is an outlet (TCM) that would show their FILMS in a respectful way AND at the same time market their products on TCM's very own shop at home site? It just doesn't make sense. 

TCM is a subsidiary of Time-Warner.   In most corporate situations subsidiaries have to stay in the black.   They have to make some profit for the parent company.     So while TW could afford to lose money on TCM,  why would they wish to?   It makes no business sense.    The logical business course is to close down or sell off subsidiaries that continue to lose money, year after year.  It clearly is NOT to continue to take a lost year after year.   

As for your 'why would Universal'.    Why should Universal care?    Again,  the goal of a business is to make money.   So all they should care about is leasing their films to those willing to pay the highest price.   

You wish for these corporations to treat films as art, for the sake of art.   Sorry but that doesn't make sense for a corporation.  Stock holders what profits,  period. 

The Uninvited was cut to fit the two hour time slot. Svengoolie announced as much before they played the film.

Since this thread is not specifically related to classic movies, I suggest it be moved to another forum. Perhaps "Chit Chat". Or, since it is undeniably popular with certain posters, "Favourites".

I myself am bored with seeing this never-ending thread taking up space in the heavily visited "General Discussions" forum.

(sauce applies equally to goose and gander.)

• Like 2

because tcm hasn't busted a gut to acquire them, that's why. :)

Since this thread is not specifically related to classic movies, I suggest it be moved to another forum. Perhaps "Chit Chat". Or, since it is undeniably popular with certain posters, "Favourites".

I myself am bored with seeing this never-ending thread taking up space in the heavily visited "General Discussions" forum.

(sauce applies equally to goose and gander.)

Possibly the most pointless thread ever created. But, it'll never go away as long as Topper and Nipkow are here.

Every time we're almost free of it, one of them goes bumpity, bump, bump.