Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TCM is a subsidiary of Time-Warner.   In most corporate situations subsidiaries have to stay in the black.   They have to make some profit for the parent company.     So while TW could afford to lose money on TCM,  why would they wish to?   It makes no business sense.    The logical business course is to close down or sell off subsidiaries that continue to lose money, year after year.  It clearly is NOT to continue to take a lost year after year.   

As for your 'why would Universal'.    Why should Universal care?    Again,  the goal of a business is to make money.   So all they should care about is leasing their films to those willing to pay the highest price.   

You wish for these corporations to treat films as art, for the sake of art.   Sorry but that doesn't make sense for a corporation.  Stock holders want profits,  period. 

We do know that TCM airs (some) Universal films. And every October on the channel, there are a few Universal horror entries on the schedule.

This said, I don't think Universal-- a company that is almost richer than god-- needs TCM to push its product. They have plenty of other avenues where they can, and do, sell their films.

We do know that TCM airs (some) Universal films. And every October on the channel, there are a few Universal horror entries on the schedule.

This said, I don't think Universal-- a company that is almost richer than god-- needs TCM to push its product. They have plenty of other avenues where they can, and do, sell their films.

I agree Universal doesn't need TCM to push their products.    Therefore there is no need for Universal to cut TCM a deal just because of how TCM 'treats' movies they show.

Instead Universal makes a deal with stations that edit their movies,  show tons of commercials and sometimes has a host that will often trash their movies.  

• Like 1

I agree Universal doesn't need TCM to push their products.    Therefore there is no need for Universal to cut TCM a deal just because of how TCM 'treats' movies they show.

Instead Universal makes a deal with stations that edit their movies,  show tons of commercials and sometimes has a host that will often trash their movies.  

I think what is happening is that people think it is TCM's responsibility to air films from all studios. But TCM is not always going to do that, especially if they already have plenty of other titles in the Turner Library that their business model requires them to use.

In a way, I am glad the Universal, Paramount and Republic films are outside their library. It leaves open some room for healthy competition which is good for the consumer.

This said, you can bet your bottom dollar that this website will continue to sell Universal and Paramount classics on the Shop TCM page, because if there is a buck to be made, they will try to make it. They do not have to show a film on air in order to be able to sell DVD copies of it on their website. Ding, ding, ding.

Hey, db, since there have been a number of polls (both serious and not so serious) posted on these boards lately, how about one for "Most Boring Thread"?

I nominate this one for the honour.

LMREO!!!!!!!!

Since this thread is not specifically related to classic movies, I suggest it be moved to another forum. Perhaps "Chit Chat". Or, since it is undeniably popular with certain posters, "Favourites".

I myself am bored with seeing this never-ending thread taking up space in the heavily visited "General Discussions" forum.

(sauce applies equally to goose and gander.)

Never ending indeed. It's the The Thread That Will Not Die.

Have you noticed that the view count has made a quantum leap, going from 37,000 views to 65,000 views practically overnight. Now how did that happen? Not even the OP would stay up all night to click on it that many times  Is there something fishy about these numbers, or what?

:huh:

• Like 1

svengoolie airs a lot of classic horror/sci-fi films not aired on tcm...

so this thread is related to classic films...

so it should stay. :P

I think it would be great fun (and good advertising in both directions) if Svengoolie perhaps without makeup was a guest programmer on TCM.

Have you noticed that the view count has made a quantum leap, going from 37,000 views to 65,000 views practically overnight. 

I have made a note about this in my profile. And that is why I temporarily changed my avatar, to bring attention to the glitch.

It was actually at 38,492 views before the system error. I record the progress of my threads each day. And the numbers I have are quite accurate.

What about your posts? Are the numbers for laffite accurate, too? Have you noticed any other errors?

Thanks for your interest.

I have made a note about this in my profile. And that is why I temporarily changed my avatar, to bring attention to the glitch.

It was actually at 38,492 views before the system error. I record the progress of my threads each day. And the numbers I have are quite accurate.

What about your posts? Are the numbers for laffite accurate, too? Have you noticed any other errors?

Thanks for your interest.

I like the view jump. :D

I like the view jump. :D

You're sweet Nipkow. I like accuracy. We do know that there have been around 40,000 legitimate views of this thread since it began last summer. As the moderator stated in another thread, the number of views does not necessarily make a thread more or less valid. But in this case, we are discussing it, because there obviously was a glitch, when overnight it jumped from the 38,000 neighborhood to the 65,000 mark.

Now, we can get back to discussing classic film, right? LOL

What do you think about Rondo Hatton? Don't you just love that name-- he has to be the creepiest looking character actor ever!

• 2 weeks later...

/// BUMP \\\

YIPPEE! IT'S BACK...

with half a heart and half a lung and ALL THE GUTS IN THE WORLD! IT'S BACK! ! !

this wonderful beloved never say die thread. :D

tomorry nite...

weird woman

lon chaney jr. married to a babe who practices witchcraft. :)

of6lwp.jpg

I wasn't going to comment on this thread for awhile, because I knew people were getting tired of seeing it on page one. But I do want to share something quickly, because it is worth noting (maybe):

screen-shot-2015-02-01-at-9-26-00-am.png

I still check the Top 10 searches on the TCM database. And this morning, we can see that Me-TV's broadcast of WEIRD WOMAN was popular with viewers/database users. I watched it last night, because I had never seen it before (it's part of the Inner Sanctum series of B horror films that Lon Chaney Jr. did at Universal in the mid-40s). I didn't think it was particularly great, but it was not terrible. It certainly had a lot of atmosphere and a bevy of beauties.

I actually watched Weird Woman last night, hadn't seen it in years. I used to confuse it with Captive Wild Woman and another movie (the one about the mad doctor in the jungle who turns a woman from Pittsburgh into a monster and ends with a question mark on screen), when in reality it's a version of The Conjure Wife. I found Svengoolie less objectionable than previously; still, I avoided most of his segments.

I'm excited that next week he will be showing The Leech Woman! That's another film I confused with others -- with The Wasp Woman and She Devil (1957). But now I've got them straight. The Leech Woman is a hoot -- especially when she becomes her own cousin!

and now, my summation of weird woman....

didn't like it. even before svengoolie came on I looked it up on IMDb. second of three inner sanctum features.

supposedly the best of the three. began to watch it. we see this conference room with library books and a long table with a crystal ball sittin' in the center. inside it a talking head who kinda looks like doctor pretorius from bride of frankenstein. :)

the guy's got nifty coarse looking hair too. :lol:

the story begins with lon chaney jr. talkin' to himself about superstition vs. science...

then I got bored sensing a turkey. :(

didn't help much when professor chaney's wife does her voodoo number.

not hot in the least. turned it off and bided me time until voyage to the bottom of the sea since I had no interest in the lost in space episode.

the seaview gets impacted by little red space capsules that nelson surmises are miniature spaceships....

inhabited by blue electricity space beings, one of them masquerades as an old war buddy of nelson's played affably by warren stevens. problem is sam garrity has been missing for decades, is wearing his old WWII uniform and looks the same as when nelson last saw him decades ago. nelson points out the failed ruse leaving garrity with nothing to do but give nelson the old trusty irwin allen alien jolt rendering him unconscious.

nelson later surmises this is all about secret underwater base sato 6 and knows that's where the aliens will be.

later at sato 6 are nelson, chief sharkey (terry becker not don rickles) :D and an unnamed blue suit crewman. the crewman gets killed off screen by them electrical aliens who oddly enough look like some lugo men from the japanese space giants series.

later on after nelson and sharkey find the murdered blue suit, warren stevens has the affrontery to say to nelson "we're friendly."

after that warren stevens throws heat shields around nelson and sharkey using one of irwin allen's most familiar special effects....

rippling saran wrap.

works good for high intensity radiation barriers too. :) in the meantime knowing that the electrical aliens achilles heel is radiation, crane and chip morton stop by the reactor room for some quick energy for firearms. behind a radiation shield, crane effortlessly pulls out three control rods and sticks in some capsules for radiation collection and they're ready. off to sato 6!

they arrive at sato 6 and dispatch the electrical aliens with their radiation guns.

the rest of them space electrical aliens move on deprived of an earth rest stop.

just wait until the werewolf episodes for some real vttbots fun. :D

and now, my summation of weird woman....

didn't like it. even before svengoolie came on I looked it up on IMDb. second of three inner sanctum features.

I think there are six Inner Sanctum movies: (in this order) CALLING DR. DEATH; WEIRD WOMAN; DEAD MAN'S EYES; THE FROZEN GHOST; STRANGE CONFESSION; and PILLOW OF DEATH. All starred Lon Chaney Jr., with some of the same supporting players. Not sure if Svengoolie has hosted them all.

For more on the series, visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_Sanctum_Mystery#Films

I think it would be great fun (and good advertising in both directions) if Svengoolie perhaps without makeup was a guest programmer on TCM.

Oh I whole heartedly agree!!!. You know he is not so bad and he introduces you to actors, until I watched the Weird Woman, I didn't realize Frank Morgan had a brother; and by golly, once you knew you could see the resemblance between the two.

I think it is a great idea...maybe for October and the annual scarefest.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

When not watching TCM, I find that I am watching Antenna-TV just as much as Me-TV. 

I feel that some of the Columbo TV movies that Me-TV and the Hallmark Movie Channel air could also work on TCM. Why? Because they feature a lot of classic movie stars, and I'd like to see them without commercials.

• Like 1

I think tonight's feature with Svengoolie is REVENGE OF THE CREATURE. According to MovieCollector's information, this film has never aired on TCM.

NipKowdisc has already mentioned TCM not showing this film about 100 times.   Now I'm going to have to hear about it 101 times. 

I'm having a hot spell.    :lol:

NipKowdisc has already mentioned TCM not showing this film about 100 times.   Now I'm going to have to hear about it 101 times. 

I'm having a hot spell.    :lol:

LOL...The only one I remember seeing on TCM is the original. I don't think any of the sequels have turned up on the channel.

By the way, I am thinking of changing/updating the title of this thread at long last. I don't like the phrase 'cutting in.' 

LOL...The only one I remember seeing on TCM is the original. I don't think any of the sequels have turned up on the channel.

By the way, I am thinking of changing/updating the title of this thread at long last. I don't like the phrase 'cutting in.' 

"Cutting in" is just fine. Why don't you just let it die. It's had its run.

:)

"Cutting in" is just fine. Why don't you just let it die. It's had its run.

:)

Sorry laffite, but I don't go on threads and tell you to stop posting about various subjects. Let's be a bit more _________ (fill in the blank with any synonym for 'kind'). 

I am not convinced the thread is dead. It picked up over a thousand views, and I didn't post on it for about three months. 

I want to rename the thread title and widen the scope of this discussion a bit, if possible. You can either read it and participate or not. N'est pas?