Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

TopBilled

Sorry laffite, but I don't go on threads and tell you to stop posting about various subjects. Let's be a bit more _________ (fill in the blank with any synonym for 'kind'). 

I am not convinced the thread is dead. It picked up over a thousand views, and I didn't post on it for about three months. 

I want to rename the thread title and widen the scope of this discussion a bit, if possible. You can either read it and participate or not. N'est pas?

Maybe the thread should be about 'new' stations that are showing 'classic' content instead of just ME-TV.

I don't even get ME-TV but I do get MOVIES-TV,  GET-TV,   THIS,  COSI,  and now Decades;   MOVIES and GET show only movies (MOVIES mostly 20th Century Fox films,  and GET mostly Columbia with some Paramount) while the others focus mostly on TV shows from the 50s -70s.

• Like 1

Maybe the thread should be about 'new' stations that are showing 'classic' content instead of just ME-TV.

I don't even get ME-TV but I do get MOVIES-TV,  GET-TV,   THIS,  COSI,  and now Decades;   MOVIES and GET show only movies (MOVIES mostly 20th Century Fox films,  and GET mostly Columbia with some Paramount) while the others focus mostly on TV shows from the 50s -70s.

Thanks james. That is pretty much what I was thinking. After reflecting, I felt the original topic focused too much on Me-TV, when in actuality, there are many other channels competing for viewers of classic programs. 

Then, we went on a long tangent about Svengoolie (because he is a host on Me-TV). But I didn't feel he was the main purpose of this thread. 

And I still don't like the phrase 'cutting in' because it sounds like something happening on a dance floor. LOL

My service a few weeks ago just started broadcasting one called H&I (Heroes and Icons) that plays many "classic" shows as well.  They have "Kung Fu" in their regular line-up. And they have COMBAT at night as well.

Sepiatone

My service a few weeks ago just started broadcasting one called H&I (Heroes and Icons) that plays many "classic" shows as well.  They have "Kung Fu" in their regular line-up. And they have COMBAT at night as well.

Sepiatone

Not familiar with H&I, Sepia. Do they interrupt broadcasts with commercial advertising?

And I assume that has to do with titles that are seldom played on TCM...? I don't get that channel, and I also do not have Get-TV (which shows Columbia titles I believe).

Movies-TV mainly shows 20th Century Fox films so we see stars like Susan Hayward,  Linda Darnell,  Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews etc...    

GET-TV shows mostly Columbia films but also early Paramount pictures (e.g. Carole Lombard films).    Last month Melvin Douglas was their 'star of the month' (with means his films were featured each Thursday).     

As you well know films from these studios are not shown very often on TCM (compared with WB, MGM,  RKO)

• Like 1

Movies-TV mainly shows 20th Century Fox films so we see stars like Susan Hayward, Linda Darnell, Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews etc...

GET-TV shows mostly Columbia films but also early Paramount pictures (e.g. Carole Lombard films). Last month Melvin Douglas was their 'star of the month' (with means his films were featured each Thursday).

As you well know films from these studios are not shown very often on TCM (compared with WB, MGM, RKO)

Makes sense. They have their own library you might say.

I would say I rely on TCM for 85% of my classic movie viewing on cable. The other 15% comes from Retroplex (which shows Paramount goodies from the 50s and 60s that TCM does not air); and sometimes I will watch what PBS is showing on a Friday or Saturday evening (not long ago they aired GONE WITH THE WIND commercial-free). 

I do not watch the Encore Westerns channel anymore because it only broadcasts in standard definition on Charter Cable, and the picture quality is dreadful. Fortunately, some of those westerns turn up on Retroplex in high def. Or they eventually are broadcast on TCM, which is preferable if they can be seen in widescreen.

But the plot had to have Grant falling in love with the maid. Thelma Ritter would have been more credible as a maid, but..........

It would have worked better if it was an unknown actress (like Audrey in ROMAN HOLIDAY)-- where she could have started out a bit plain Jane, without all the glamor already developed that Loren had-- and then she gradually comes out of her shell and blossoms-- making her more believable and much more desirable than the Thelma Ritter or Ellen Corby maid variety.

Or they could have reversed it-- had someone the audience already associated with glamour (like Lana Turner) playing a woman who had fallen on hard times and had to take a maid's job, which was obviously beneath her. 

There were certainly ways this story could have been presented a bit more plausibly.

In a way, I am glad the Universal, Paramount and Republic films are outside their library. It leaves open some room for healthy competition which is good for the consumer.

Bingo ! Keeps all the channels honest.

I like that title idea and the title change.

I watch Get TV, Grit TV and Movies from time to time. GRIT TV had on Clint E. in Firefox the other night. 80's nostalgia. Love it...

I probably watch GetTV, MOVIES and Cozi the most.

I realized that if I went to Sling TV, the only channel I would really miss was...TCM ! So I am hoping they join the other Turner entities like TBS, TNT and CNN and come to Sling. Then my classic movie world would be complete   :D  

• Like 1

You betcha!

Sepiatone

Frankly, I don't mind the commercials. I don't have a DVR and can't pause when I have to leave the room. But, I would rather be saddled with interruptions than a bill at the end of the month.

To each his own.

I watch Get TV, Grit TV and Movies from time to time. GRIT TV had on Clint E. in Firefox the other night. 80's nostalgia. Love it...

Grit TV? That's a new one. Never heard of that channel. I am assuming their most frequently shown title is TRUE GRIT..? :)

I realized that if I went to Sling TV, the only channel I would really miss was...TCM ! So I am hoping they join the other Turner entities like TBS, TNT and CNN and come to Sling. Then my classic movie world would be complete.

I hope they NEVER add TCM to Sling...Sling is nothing but Dish's naked attempt to corral us cord cutters/cord nevers into buying one of their stinking "bundles" whereby we must pay them for channels we DO NOT WANT just so we can watch the ONE channel that we DO want...ha ha ha...i WILL NOT pay welfare to channels that can't make it on their own,or any other channel i don't want no matter how popular it may be.That is why i dumped Dish in the first place...so i wouldn't have to pay for channels i don't want but am still billed for.Almost everything i watch comes off the internet,and there's PLENTY of classic movies to be found there...heck everybody knows about YT,but there's plenty of other sources on the net too,and some of them have high quality prints and stream at a high enough bit rate to make the movies worth watching and recording.

I'd LOVE to see TCM offer their own stand alone online service thru Roku,i really miss it,and i'd pay up to $15/mo.for that service...but i WILL NOT be corralled into buying another "bundle" ever again.

IMHO The cable/sat cabal can go to hell...sorry 'bout the rant..it's just the way i feel about cable/sat and their stinking overpriced "bundles" and "tiers of service".

Grit TV? That's a new one. Never heard of that channel. I am assuming their most frequently shown title is TRUE GRIT..? :)

Its geared toward men, mostly westerns and action films. So , it very well could show that film.

I'd LOVE to see TCM offer their own stand alone online service thru Roku,i really miss it,and i'd pay up to $15/mo.for that service...but i WILL NOT be corralled into buying another "bundle" ever again.

IMHO The cable/sat cabal can go to hell...sorry 'bout the rant..it's just the way i feel about cable/sat and their stinking overpriced "bundles" and "tiers of service".

You do realize Sling works through Roku ? That's how I watch it. I don't do bundles either so I don't know what you mean by that. I just have Sling by itself. Roku has lots of channels also like "Cafe Noir".

So you would pay $15/mo. for TCM. But, not pay $20/mo. for TCM and 20 other channels ? Okey doky lol !

It just so happens that Sling has all but, two of the channels I actually watched on Dish. and $64/mo. cheaper, it was the logical choice for me.

You do realize Sling works through Roku ? That's how I watch it. I don't do bundles either so I don't know what you mean by that. I just have Sling by itself. Roku has lots of channels also like "Cafe Noir".

So you would pay $15/mo. for TCM. But, not pay $20/mo. for TCM and 20 other channels ? Okey doky lol !

It just so happens that Sling has all but, two of the channels I actually watched on Dish. and $64/mo. cheaper, it was the logical choice for me.

Yes...Of course i know Sling is on Roku,how else would i know about it?...been using Roku for nearly 3 yrs.

You SAY you don't use bundles...uh..better think again...what do you think Sling is but a bundle??

If you like Sling and paying for useless channels as they add them...and increasing the price because of the added useless channels...then go for it.As they add more and more channels and the bundle grows,you'll be finding more and more channels that even You will consider to be useless...whatcha gonna do then...keep paying and paying and paying??..yes you will...cuz they GOTCHA HOOKED on their merry-go-round of paying ever increasing prices for more and more channels you don't want,and Dish knows you won't leave because they know you're hooked,but,...you're obviously not a cord cutter/cord never,you're still mentally stuck in the cable/sat paradigm of their "business model" of bundles/tiers of service and never ending price increases.Good luck with THAT.

So far i've seen absolutely nothing on Sling that i'd ever pay for,only crap that i have never wanted and i won't pay one single cent for,not even if they added TCM.I'd much prefer to see TCM as a stand alone service...and i'd rather pay UP TO $15 bucks just for TCM than to pay welfare for channels that can't exist except as welfare recipients,but would prefer to see a slightly lower price for TCM...like most people would.

Yes...Of course i know Sling is on Roku,how else would i know about it?...been using Roku for nearly 3 yrs.

You SAY you don't use bundles...uh..better think again...what do you think Sling is but a bundle??

If you like Sling and paying for useless channels as they add them...and increasing the price because of the added useless channels...then go for it.As they add more and more channels and the bundle grows,you'll be finding more and more channels that even You will consider to be useless...whatcha gonna do then...keep paying and paying and paying??..yes you will...cuz they GOTCHA HOOKED on their merry-go-round of paying ever increasing prices for more and more channels you don't want,and Dish knows you won't leave because they know you're hooked,but,...you're obviously not a cord cutter/cord never,you're still mentally stuck in the cable/sat paradigm of their "business model" of bundles/tiers of service and never ending price increases.Good luck with THAT.

So far i've seen absolutely nothing on Sling that i'd ever pay for,only crap that i have never wanted and i won't pay one single cent for,not even if they added TCM.I'd much prefer to see TCM as a stand alone service...and i'd rather pay UP TO $15 bucks,but would prefer to see a slightly lower price...like most people would.

How many stations do you watch during any given month?    While I understand why people don't like 'bundles' if one has to pay $10 $15 dollars per station,  bundled pricing might be a better option depending on the limited number of stations one would be OK with.