Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor ID question

Richard Kimble

That's not Chester Morris. It's Dame May Whitty.

Oh, that old dame just won't go away!    I can see how it could be Spencer Tracy.   That would make more sense anyhow because few know who Chester Morris is.     Of course EGG is always easy to spot and I assume the other guy is William Powell.  

As for the gals?    Hard to tell but the one in back could be Loy and the one in front could be anyone from the early 30s that wore their hair short (since that was a common style).

I can see how it could be Spencer Tracy.   That would make more sense anyhow because few know who Chester Morris is. 

The question is how popular were they in 1933.

Chester Morris did get an early Oscar nomination. But was he really all that popular?

Tracy was playing leads, but he did not become a major star until leaving Fox for MGM a few years later.

As for the gals?    Hard to tell but the one in back could be Loy

Helen Hayes

and the one in front could be anyone from the early 30s that wore their hair short (since that was a common style)

Gloria Swanson

I don't think so. It looks more like Tracy, the hairline is different, and March "appears" later in the cartoon as Mr. Hyde.

Yep Doc. I just watched this cartoon on YouTube, and you're right. It appears March is only represented as Mr. Hyde and along with Lugosi and Karloff.

Gotta say though that that caricature still doesn't look all that much like Morris to me.

(...though the one identified as "Helen Hayes" sure looks a lot like Sylvia Sidney to me too) 

For those who've never seen it, this Disney short was produced specifically to be shown only at the 1932 Academy Award ceremony, and never publicly screened again:

Re relevance to this thread: it lets you see how Disney artists caricatured Fredric March.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings