Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I learned on another thread that the reason TCM shows little - if any - 2oth Century Fox movies is because they are shown on the Fox movie channel. Making total sense, of course. We were discussing Ty Power movies - he must have been under contract to Fox. Before I rush out to get that channel, I'd like to know who else was contracted to Fox. Also, any great movies that are Fox CLASSIC movies. Of Mice and Men is one we never seem to see, was that a Fox movie? I'd just like to get an idea of what I am missing by not having that channel. $10 extra a month for that package. TCM seems to have SO much of all the good stuff, it can't be lacking TOO much. :-)

Fox Movie Channel is old movies as well as new movies. They repeat alot of the same movies.

Some other actors contracted to Fox, by no means a complete list, but just off the top of my head. Victor Mature, Susan Hayward, Betty Grable, Jeanne Crain, some early Vincent Price, Sonja Henie, Gene Tierney, Maureen O'Hara, Marilyn Monroe, Jean Peters.

Selection of movies is limited beacause a number of Fox movies are leased out to Cinemax and AMC.

Some of the stars who worked for 20th Century-Fox were Maureen O'Hara, John Payne, Betty Grable, Tyrone Power, Carmen Miranda, Jeanne Crain, Alice Faye, Clifton Webb, Marilyn Monroe, Dana Andrews, Anne Baxter, Gregory Peck, Susan Hayward, Richard Widmark, Dan Daily, Clara Bow, Loretta Young, Don Ameche, Cesar Romero, James Mason, Jeffrety Hunter, Robert Wagner, etc.

Mongo

Here are some 20th Century Fox contractees:

Gene Tierney (1940-55)

Anne Baxter (1940-52)

Janet Gaynor (1926-36)

Warner Baxter (1928-39)

Will Rogers (1926-36)

Spencer Tracy (1930-36)

Alice Faye (1933-45)

Loretta Young (1933-39)

Shirley Temple (1933-40)

Clifton Webb (1943- )

Betty Grable (1940-54)

Henry Fonda (1937-43)

Sonja Henie (1936-43)

Don Ameche (1936-44)

Tyrone Power (1936-54)

Linda Darnell (1938-51)

Carmen Miranda (1940-47)

Dana Andrews (1940-48)

Gregory Peck ((1946-49, 1951-53)

Some others are Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Lee Remick, Jayne Mansfield, Sheree North, Richard Burton, Jeffrey Hunter, Robert Wagner, Richard Widmark, Susan Hayward, Jean Peters, and Marilyn Monroe.

Source: The Hollywood Story, by Joel W. Finler

katyscar11ett, Of Mice and Men was a Hal Roach production, released by United Artists. It's on DVD but it's cheaper to watch it on TCM. Other Fox contract stars include Dana Andrews, Don Ameche, Shirley Temple, Alice Faye, Richard Widmark, Clifton Webb, early Gregory Peck, and most of Laird Cregar's work was done for Fox.

To lux, terrific stats you came up with However, *Tracy was only at Fox from 1930 to '35-(in essence, he deliberately got himself fired from his contract as well.

He desperately wanted out for sometime, due to flat scripts he was getting during his last couple of yrs at the studio aka: "Dream Factory" & most of it fell apart, to say the least, on the set of another mediocre production>1934's "Dante's Inferno" (**) *Spence was of course very well-known for his drinking! But, never showed-up on the job loaded. Except 1 day during this film.-(probably to show his contempt for it & what was likely coming next) So the director-(Harry Lachmann) told all to leave him sleep it off on the sofa & made mistake of locking him in! He came-too & literally, went "Bonkers!"

Breaking quite a lot of lights, cameras & equipment. They were said to be able to hear this all-over the place outside. He of course finished the picture, but was soon let-go & *Thalberg-(per usual) desperately wanted him at: M-G-M-(you can see both studios, they are so-close in Culver City)

Much to the chagrin of L.B. Mayer though "We already have 1 gouloot in *Wallace Beery, we don't need another" said Mayer-(hope I spelled that word ok, tired)

& as history has it, *Irving G. got his & *Spencer's way

His debut starring movie at MGM is 1935's "Murder Man"-(which ironically, was *Jimmy Stewart's debut in a feature)

& you also ironically cited Will Rogers-(1879-1935) However, he of course was killed-(along with W. E. Post) in that famed airplane crash) in '35.-(I say ironic, due to he , Leslie Howard-(1893-1943) & *Tracy being great polo-playing pals

(TRIVIA: Will Rogers, was B.O. leader for 1934 by the way)

myidolspencer, TCM has shown a one-reeler on occasion featuring Spencer Tracy, made in 1930, involving a young husband and wife who are strapped for cash during the depression. It has a suprise ending that I won't reveal. But wondering, as the Tracy-ite that you are, whether or not you know of it. It's a great curio, especially now considering Spencer's superb career.

Forgot to ask - is there any other studio, other than Fox, that TCM has a difficult time getting movies from? I know some British ones are hard to come by, at least ones that I can think of that I have never seen on TCM (such as the funny 'Carry On' series), but I mean the "big" American studios. Or is Fox the major problem? Are "most" movies shown on TCM eventually? I can be patient lol and I love TCM. Thanks. And thanks for the link to thefoxmoviechannel. :-)

I think the availability of the pre-code product of Columbia, Universal and Paramount, with VERY minor exceptions, is appalling. I used to see some of the old Paramount stuff like Madame Butterfly (1932) and The Last Output (1935), as well as some Universal films, like Law and Order (1932) and Airmail (1932) on Canadian TV, but the Columbia stuff, particularly Carole Lombard's early work, is ridiculously rare. It's a shame.

lux, if you search these forums for "The Hard Guy" (the name of the Spencer Tracy short you're referring to) you'll notice that myidolspencer has yet to see it. I agree with you, it's definitely worth a look if one is lucky enough to catch it between movies.

My personal epinion about FMC is that they show on the average about two good movies a week. For that $10.00 price tag you could get a premium channel like Showtime Unlimited and get about 10 good movies a week($12.00 a month for me on Directv).

I'll first caveat this by saying that I no longer watch the Fox Movie Channel. Their censorship of the Chan and Moto movies made them persona non grata in my book.

However, pre-ban, I wasn't too terribly impressed either. As the prior poster indicated, they only show a couple of good movies a week. They don't even run the Laurel and Hardy films owned by Fox. Their "Hour of Stars" was interesting though.

If there are Fox films you enjoy I would take the money you would spend for a subscription and and use it to rent Fox DVDs instead. They have a "Studio Classics" line that consists of some great films mixed in with some clunkers. They also started a "Noir" line recently that looks promising.

I agree that the FMC only shows a few good films a month when they could show many more--such as pre-1935 Fox films that exist. FMC will show a film several times in a month. However, they are pretty good about showing their Cinemascope films in their original ratio.

FYI Spencer: I've seen Up the River on FMC; however, the print wasn't very good--it was scratchy and some frames must have been missing as it jumped around quite a bit. Considering Spencer Tracy made a number of films at Fox, FMC has only shown Up the River, Dante's Inferno and Me and My Gal.

• 2 weeks later...